Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,009 members, 7,838,531 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim (4704 Views)

Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Federal Universities Should Have Tuition Fees - Pro-Chancellors / Federal Universities Should Re-open - Pro-chancellors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by koruji(m): 1:52am On Mar 31, 2012
The egg-heads in power are about to get their as.ses kicked real good this time.

Is it a curse or something? Every DAMN government Nigeria has ever had is about STICKING it to the people.

"Investors should source for funds to develop the educational sector" - now that is some saw-dust for brain statement.

http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-may-stop-funding-varsities-anyim/

March 31, 2012 by Friday Olokor, Abuja 5 Comments

There are indications that the Federal Government might stop funding universities in Nigeria.

The government had expressed pessimism that it would continue to effectively fund tertiary institutions in the country and had suggested that institutions should source their own funds by attracting investors to assist in the development of the education sector.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim, stated this on Thursday night in Abuja during the launch/dinner of the University of Jos annual fund to generate money from its alumni and friends for the development of the institution.

The SGF, who applauded the decision of his alma mater, said, “UNIJOS is the very first university in the nation to embark on sourcing of funds to augment the funds that come from the government, which is scarcely enough for the development of education in the nation.”

He said the development had led to the inauguration of a committee by the FG to assess the nation’s tertiary institutions and ascertain the level of decay and needs in the schools.

Anyim, however, advised that the funds generated should be managed prudently by getting everyone involved from the management staff to the lecturers.

The former Senate President condemned the attitude of some management members of universities, who see themselves as political appointees and are only interested in what they can get without caring for the welfare of the institutions.

He said, “It is an error to source funds and for others to manage; that era is gone. University managements should invest in hostel development in partnership with the private sector.”

Vice-chancellor of the institution, Prof. Hayward Mafuyai, expressed disappointment at the down-turn of the education sector.

He said, “This initiative is coming at a time when Nigerian universities have consistently lost out of ranking among top 1,000 universities in the world.

“On the other hand, all the top 10 universities in the world have one thing in common: they rely heavily on the goodwill of friends and alumni for funding critical areas of successes such as teaching, research and innovation.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Beaf: 2:01am On Mar 31, 2012
The FG is divesting off everything. GEJ is weakening the center in tactical ways, by the time he is done, we will only need a couple of tickboxes to fill for TRUE FEDERALISM.

IMHO, the ship is headed in an unflinching direction.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by okadaman2: 2:06am On Mar 31, 2012
When will they put OAU up for sale?

I want to buy angry

subsidy "reduction" don butter my bread
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Nobody: 2:07am On Mar 31, 2012
Extreme capitalism will destroy Nigeria! sad
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by koruji(m): 2:15am On Mar 31, 2012
You won't be you if you don't come here to defend the most asinine policies coming out of the fumbling Aso Rock.

Divest from everything? What has he invested in beyond his stomach, planes and synchophants like you.

NITEL, a commercial entity cannot find a buyer decades on, yet Mr. Transformation-in-Reverse wants to shop an educational system.

Before you get all foaming in the mouth, rest assured that our current setup is all wrong, but as with the half-baked solutions GEJ has being spying from failed past administrations this is even worse.

He never learns, and he never listens to sound advise because of all the mosquitoes hum nonsensical stuff in his ears. It is simply another of that spoiled-brat minister's callous policies coming to fore, which the clueless president proceeds to implement to his own detriment.

They are increasing national assembly allowances, buying bullet-proof cars for themselves, yet university funding is the next thing to cut to reduce the budget deficit.

Wonders shall never end!!!
Beaf: The FG is divesting off everything. GEJ is weakening the center in tactical ways, by the time he is done, we will only need a couple of tickboxes to fill for TRUE FEDERALISM.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Beaf: 2:20am On Mar 31, 2012
^
I said the FG and you are talking bullshiit about GEJ. Dude, try to sound like you have sense sometimes.

People like you keep screaming "true federalism," but evidently, you are hypocrites who do not wish to face the reality of fending for yourselves.
Pack of lazy leeches. angry

I don't know of any developed country where the govt 100% runs universities. They are always part funded by research and similar sources.
No mediocre school would attract funding. Maybe you can see the reason our uni's are like forgotten butcher shops.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Beaf: 2:25am On Mar 31, 2012
“On the other hand, all the top 10 universities in the world have one thing in common: they rely heavily on the goodwill of friends and alumni for funding critical areas of successes such as teaching, research and innovation.

The kernel of my argument from the OP's article.
At the most, states and LG's should run the uni's, not the FG.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by koruji(m): 2:38am On Mar 31, 2012
Always transplanting ideas without context for selfish reasons.

So this policy will transform Nigeria's universities into the top 10 - or what does that quote have to do with anything? It only shows you the shallow thought process behind policy-making in Nigeria. You better go and find out the truth about university education in the part of the world they are talking about.

I can't believe that we have this kind of people in the corridors of power.

Contracting maritime security to former militants, while cutting education funding - that is Transformation-in-Reverse in truth.

Nigeria is sunk for good.

Beaf:
The kernel of my argument from the OP's article.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by koruji(m): 2:41am On Mar 31, 2012
Thank you for the name-calling. I hope you sleep better tonight.

So, I am to understand that GEJ is no more the personification of the FG on who's table the "buck stops".

You better remember that next time you claim credit for something that sounds good.

Beaf: ^
I said the FG and you are talking bullshiit about GEJ. Dude, try to sound like you have sense sometimes.

People like you keep screaming "true federalism," but evidently, you are hypocrites who do not wish to face the reality of fending for yourselves.
Pack of lazy leeches. angry

I don't know of any developed country where the govt 100% runs universities. They are always part funded by research and similar sources.
No mediocre school would attract funding. Maybe you can see the reason our uni's are like forgotten butcher shops.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Beaf: 2:45am On Mar 31, 2012
^
You come on insulting, shouting and screaming all the time and don't realise its rude?
Dude, I simply reacted to the tone of your post and the insults in it.

Clean your eyes.

In any event, Anyim was talking about hostels, so you know best what you are screaming about.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by okadaman2: 2:48am On Mar 31, 2012
Both of you should stop fighting now.

We "the investors" will buy Nigerian universities and compel government to provide funding through student loans and grants.

OK?

poor peeople too like to dey fight sef :\

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Nobody: 2:53am On Mar 31, 2012
You come on insulting, shouting and screaming all the time and don't realise its rude?

Clean your eyes.

In any event, Anyim was talking about hostels, so you know best what you are screaming about.

You're blinded by stupidity!! Why can't they privatize Aso Rock and the National Assembly as well?

Bunch of clueless people leading the sheeple. Iweala, Sanusi and Gej = dumb, dumber and dumbest
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by musiwa43: 2:54am On Mar 31, 2012
capital market.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by koruji(m): 2:55am On Mar 31, 2012
And you see me complaining?

I shout and scream because what the so-called FG is doing in Nigeria should be a crime - 19 lives over a worthless piece of policy, that is why I shout, 1000s more because of fumbling necessary action that should have commenced on the Jos plateau to signal the likes of BH to keep it in the pouch, that is why I shout, knowing that what needs to be done to make Nigeria great is not really that onerous or requiring a N1 billion monthly Aso Rock food budget, that is why I shout.

The shooting of a black teen in the USA & the laickadisical attitude of the police brought the irony of it all home to me, when the statement, "WTF, are we in Nigeria now", formed in my mind. That is why I f$&@king shout!!!

Deal with it.

Clean your eyes.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by musiwa43: 2:57am On Mar 31, 2012
they can go to the capital market too, beaf give me private university license now.. you get power
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by ektbear: 2:58am On Mar 31, 2012
1. His comment about sourcing funds from alums is good...I wish this practice were more prevalent in the country.

2. His comment about hostels makes no sense to me. That has nothing to do with education..yes, obviously the private sector can handle accommodations. But that typically is not the major extra expense in university education anyways...

3. Regarding his comment about "investors"...well there is no money to be made sending poor people to college.

If you want to privatize Nigerian federal universities, then obviously fees will shoot up dramatically to make up for the shortfall.

Meaning that such schools will be less affordable for the poor.

So if one wants to make these things accessible to the poor, you have to provide something like merit scholarships, loans, etc.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Beaf: 3:00am On Mar 31, 2012
koruji: And you see me complaining?

I shout and scream because what the so-called FG is doing in Nigeria should be a crime - 19 lives over a worthless piece of policy, that is why I shout, 1000s more because of fumbling necessary action that should have commenced on the Jos plateau to signal the likes of BH to keep it in the pouch, that is why I shout, knowing that what needs to be done to make Nigeria great is not really that onerous or requiring a N1 billion monthly Aso Rock food budget, that is why I shout.

The shooting of a black teen in the USA & the laickadisical attitude of the police brought the irony of it all home to me, when the statement, "WTF, are we in Nigeria now", formed in my mind. That is why I f$&@king shout!!!

Deal with it.

Dude, you shout, cos you are crazy. If you don't know, thats the impression you give.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by koruji(m): 3:09am On Mar 31, 2012
You seem to be too familiar with that word. The way you started on here about Aregbesola was to call him "mad", so what is new.

To the short-sighted, vision and passion are crazy. If you want to see the real crazy one, you need to go look in the mirror.

They keep strangling the nation to death, and yet pretend to be dignified - whoever heard of "dignified thieves".

It is unimaginable that a supporter of a government under who's oversight 4 or so people diverted N21 billion has the effontery to call someone crazy.

You need to cover your thieving faces in shame.

Beaf: Dude, you shout, cos you are crazy. If you don't know, thats the impression you give.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by texazzpete(m): 7:51am On Mar 31, 2012
Beaf: The FG is divesting off everything. GEJ is weakening the center in tactical ways, by the time he is done, we will only need a couple of tickboxes to fill for TRUE FEDERALISM.

Now this is a m0r0nic post, i swear.
The SGF opens his doltish mouth and admits the FG is failing to fund the tertiary educational sector and you're finding positives in it?

Rubbish!
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by graciella(f): 9:59am On Mar 31, 2012
By sorting ? undecidedBy sorting ?
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Arosa(m): 10:30am On Mar 31, 2012
Important Points:
1 The Federal Government should not stop funding universities in Nigeria.
2 The FG and Universities will have to provide something like merit scholarships, loans, etc.(when the funds start coming in)
3 Most top rated universities in the world gets funds from gov.and private sector to function effectively.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Reference(m): 11:50am On Mar 31, 2012
I knew it will come to this sooner or later. Essentially subsidizing tertiary education of up to a million candidates a year is unsustainable. A new model just has to be found. I think synergy between industry and universities is needed here. They are the end users of these products so they should bear part of the cost of bringing them to the right state. Afterall we are all familiar with the mentoring system that has been existing in informal businesses for generations. Why can't formal industry do same.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by KillBeaf1(m): 2:19pm On Mar 31, 2012
How can any reasonable Nigerian reason positively to this madness? Useless criminals in government, as if they spent a dime in the course of their study.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by iiiyyyk(m): 3:03pm On Mar 31, 2012
the truth is that government alone should not fund education. it should be a collaboration between the industries, government and private real estate developers for hostels.

BUT on the other hand, what is nigeria government planning to give her citizens. in those countries were education is not fully sponsored by gov, the gov either gives free education or grants that student pay back after graduation when they get a job.

in migeria, government does not provide free education or grants,
no free health care, no security, no roads, no job, no power, no housing.etc sometimes i ask my self why do we have government in nigeria, is it just for some people to answer unmerited Honorable's and excellencies.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by bakila: 4:35pm On Mar 31, 2012
No need for bickering one more false move from a presidency headed by someone who pleaded for the office on his shoeless credentials.
They said subsidy removal gains will provide such infrastructures. Now apart from increase in fees from their action or lack of it, the students have to pay high Tport fares, buy candles, generators and lamp to get education.
Promise of fresh air well delivered indeed.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by emsquare(m): 7:39pm On Mar 31, 2012
okada_man: Both of you should stop fighting now.

We "the investors" will buy Nigerian universities and compel government to provide funding through student loans and grants.

OK?

poor peeople too like to dey fight sef :\

LOL!
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by Nobody: 8:53pm On Mar 31, 2012
They would start selling honorary awards for N50,000 now.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by http(m): 11:27pm On Mar 31, 2012
The earlier we get the message, the better for all of us still waiting on the Nigerian government for anything. Nothing is coming from the govt. thery are just perfecting ways of having more to loot. Removed subsidy if there was any, devesting on education, concessioning our road to private investors, devesting in health-care, devesting on power, promoting private-own power companies, i can go on and on.

The federal govt. led by GEJ have nothing to offer Nigerian except their own greed, you better find alternatives to save your self and family. They only want more to loot from, they are not even practicing capitalism, what they are doing is Extinctionism grin using Natural Selection (survival of the Fittest)remember the Govt. is headed by a Zoologist, go figure.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by gururguy: 8:22am On Apr 01, 2012
ok
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by pcicero(m): 12:06pm On Apr 01, 2012
http: The earlier we get the message, the better for all of us still waiting on the Nigerian government for anything. Nothing is coming from the govt. thery are just perfecting ways of having more to loot. Removed subsidy if there was any, devesting on education, concessioning our road to private investors, devesting in health-care, devesting on power, promoting private-own power companies, i can go on and on.

The federal govt. led by GEJ have nothing to offer Nigerian except their own greed, you better find alternatives to save your self and family. They only want more to loot from, they are not even practicing capitalism, what they are doing is Extinctionism grin using Natural Selection (survival of the Fittest)remember the Govt. is headed by a Zoologist, go figure.

Maybe GEJ's cyberspokesman alias Beaf would find reasons in this. Just maybe, he will understand that his benefactor is totally cluelesss.
Re: Nigerian Universities Should Source Funds Privately - Anyim by pcicero(m): 12:09pm On Apr 01, 2012
okada_man: When will they put OAU up for sale?

I want to buy angry

subsidy "reduction" don butter my bread

Even Igbinedion cannot afford it except they under value and sell it cheap to their sycophants like they always do.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Moshood Abiola Polytechnic Applicants For 2012/2013 . Lets Meet Here / Best & Worst Universities In Nigeria According To NUC / Twins Who Committed Murder Together

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.