Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:13 PM

Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors (20100 Views)

President Jonathan Sacks Striking Doctors - Thecable / Striking Doctors Offer To Treat Ebola Patients / Fashola Sacks Striking Doctors In Lagos- What Is Your View (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by prettyG: 4:01pm On May 07, 2012
Lagos State sacks all striking doctors

Over 1,000 doctors have been let go

The crisis rocking the Lagos State health sector took a dangerous twist on Monday, when the state government sacked over 1,000 doctors in its employ.

Doctors in state-owned hospitals, under the aegis of the Medical Guild, began an indefinite strike on April 24, 2012, to press for the downward review of taxes and the full implementation of the Consolidated Medical Salary Scale (CONMESS), and other demands.

Confirming the development, the secretary of the Medical Guild, Idris Durojaiye, said the information was passed across to the doctors through the medical directors of the various state hospitals.

"The medical directors signed the letters," he said.

However, the doctors will be holding a press conference to decide their next line of action.

Last month, the state government announced that it had started recruiting new doctors to help alleviate the plight of residents seeking medical care in state-owned hospitals.

Source

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 4:03pm On May 07, 2012
WOW!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Is any state in this nation even serious about improving the HealthCare sector at all?

Over on the other side, I am told by some ninnies that we need roads first before we tackle Healthcare. Now here we have a government sacking over 1000 doctors, in a state where the goal should have been to increase the number of doctors at least 10 fold.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by texazzpete(m): 4:06pm On May 07, 2012
Not surprised...too many dumbos in the Lagos State government.

I cannot understand a Government that claims to have 'no money' yet goes out and buys TWO Naval vessels for the Nigerian navy...unsolicited!
The same Government can easily justify making huge payments to contractor cronies, spending crazy sums in celebrating Tinubu's birthday and put aside millions in nigh useless beautification schemes.

This is hilarious, though...definitely the NMA won't take this lying down.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Demdem(m): 4:18pm On May 07, 2012
someone should kindly tell me what is the bane of contention here. a balanced view please both from the govt side and doctors. I honestly dont know.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 4:21pm On May 07, 2012
About time. Good riddance to bad rubbish. They can all waka to Abuja and let GEJ pay them federal wages.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Demdem(m): 4:24pm On May 07, 2012
Eko Ile: About time. Good riddance to bad rubbish. T[b]hey can all waka to Abuja and let GEJ pay them federal wages.[/b]

was this their demand? the report given said something like this:

Doctors in state-owned hospitals, under the aegis of the Medical Guild, began an indefinite strike on April 24, 2012, to press for the downward review of taxes and the full implementation of the Consolidated Medical Salary Scale (CONMESS), and other demands.

what exactly is the problem?
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Arosa(m): 4:28pm On May 07, 2012
Let our native doctors take their place, good riddance to quackery. angry

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by jmaine: 4:32pm On May 07, 2012
Na wao . . . . lipsrsealed
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Yeske2(m): 4:32pm On May 07, 2012
Will this solve the problem?
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by 999666: 4:37pm On May 07, 2012
Grandstanding.........They will reach a settlement soon
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 07, 2012
Kobojunkie: WOW!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Is any state in this nation even serious about improving the HealthCare sector at all?

Over on the other side, I am told by some ninnies that we need roads first before we tackle Healthcare. Now here we have a government sacking over 1000 doctors, in a state where the goal should have been to increase the number of doctors at least 10 fold.

Stop spreading ignorance!!!

What's the correlation between road and the stupi$dity of incessant strikes? are they being less paid than their counterparts in other states? Afterall, you are in a country where strike is even illegal in most states? People like you should know better than spreading ignorance.

In the first instance, why were the sacked? Do you follow the history of how they have been embarking on unreasonable strikes here and there? Does that make sense to you? Can you be more powerful than your employer? In your opinion, no matter what, the state government should have pander to their interest. The government should recruit young doctors who are ready to work.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by aletheia(m): 4:47pm On May 07, 2012
Eko Ile: About time. Good riddance to bad rubbish. They can all waka to Abuja and let GEJ pay them federal wages.
No doubt you will eat your words when Fashola climbs down after his bluff is called. You think you can sack 1000 doctors just like that! Bunch of jokers that call themselves leaders and the sycophants that call themselves followers.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by EkoIle1: 5:04pm On May 07, 2012
aletheia:
No doubt you will eat your words when Fashola climbs down after his bluff is called. You think you can sack 1000 doctors just like that! Bunch of jokers that call themselves leaders and the sycophants that call themselves followers.

What else is new?
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Ejine(m): 5:07pm On May 07, 2012
Somehow I get the feeling this won't have a happy ending.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by adino(m): 5:13pm On May 07, 2012
Fashola the weak, clueless and thief worshipper has finally grown some balls. In as much as I now detest his government (not Fashola), I give him kudos for this move. SACK ALL THOSE FAKE QUACKS. parading themselves asdemi-gods. Laos doctors are the highest paid in Nigeria apart from FG doctors and they are so full of themselves and think they own the world. You need to see the way these doctors behave in hospitals and I swear you will pray not to ever have anything to do with them.
I pray Fashola do not renege on this mass sack or I will hate him eternally, when they tried Tinubu he sacked them all and they came begging. No matter what, Fashola has done a lot for the health sector and he must be commended for it, there are doctors from other states ready to fill this void, or better still he should go abroad and get doctors on humanitarian ground. THERE MUST BE A WAY TO SHOCK AND FINISH OFF THESE USELESS LAGOS DOCTORS.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by otokx(m): 5:16pm On May 07, 2012
The doctors should have taking the middle ground and negotiated some sort of settlement. The thing about increasing salaries is that there would be a ripple effect and soon the nurses would start their own then the laboratory people too would join in not forgetting the pharmacists then the administrative staff - quite a delicate matter.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ektbear: 5:31pm On May 07, 2012
How easily will Lagos be able to replace these 1000 fired doctors?

Like, if Lagos State offers the existing wage of the fired docs, will it be able to attract enough new staff?
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ektbear: 5:34pm On May 07, 2012
Well, I suppose that market forces will show us who was being reasonable and who was not.

If Lagos is easily able to replace these fired employees with people of similar caliber, then clearly their refusal to increase wages wasn't unreasonable.

On the other hand if they struggle to do this..

It will be interesting to see where these fired doctors now go. Will they be able to earn higher salaries in the private sector, in other states, or for the FG? If not, then we may see them begging for their old jobs back..
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 5:36pm On May 07, 2012
Eko Ile: About time. Good riddance to bad rubbish. They can all waka to Abuja and let GEJ pay them federal wages.

Imagine, my relation served in 2010, Ondo state. The state was paying full doctors(that is after house job and NYSC) 90k per month. Compare that with the over 175k house officers earn in Lagos. Things might have changed though. If they are not happy with the wage Lagos pays. then they should resign and seek employment with the federal government.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by texazzpete(m): 5:43pm On May 07, 2012
Arosa: Let our native doctors take their place, good riddance to quackery. angry

May Native doctors treat you forever more!
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 07, 2012
ekt_bear: Well, I suppose that market forces will show us who was being reasonable and who was not.

If Lagos is easily able to replace these fired employees with people of similar caliber, then clearly their refusal to increase wages wasn't unreasonable.

On the other hand if they struggle to do this..

It will be interesting to see where these fired doctors now go. Will they be able to earn higher salaries in the private sector, in other states, or for the FG? If not, then we may see them begging for their old jobs back..

Most doctors want job in civil service, there is job security, better pay and greater career progression. My relation works in lagoon hospital at the moment and almost all the doctors at lagoon (one of the best private hospital in Nigeria) are trying to cross to LASG.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by texazzpete(m): 5:51pm On May 07, 2012
saxywale:

Imagine, my relation served in 2010, Ondo state. The state was paying full doctors(that is after house job and NYSC) 90k per month. Compare that with the over 175k house officers earn in Lagos. Things might have changed though. If they are not happy with the wage Lagos pays. then they should resign and seek employment with the federal government.

I struggle with the lack of common sense exhibited in this post.
First of all, 90k was being paid in 2010. We are in 2012 now. Should doctors in Lagos keep quiet just because they may earn more than their counterparts in Ondo state?
The Lagos doctors are using the Federal Government wages as benchmark...is it too much to ask that Lagos State pays them on the same scale as what the (notoriously stingy) Federal Government pays?

I cannot imagine a normal human being being comfortable with a situation where a fully trained medical doctor is being paid 90K a month...yet you want him/her to treat you with all their heart. Does this make sense to you?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 07, 2012
texazzpete:

First of all, 90k was being paid in 2010. We are in 2012 now. Should doctors in Lagos keep quiet just because they may earn more than their counterparts in Ondo state?
The Lagos doctors are using the Federal Government wages as benchmark...is it too much to ask that Lagos State pays them on the same scale as what the (notoriously stingy) Federal Government pays?

I cannot imagine a normal human being being comfortable with a situation where a fully trained medical doctor is being paid 90K a month...yet you want him/her to treat you with all their heart. Does this make sense to you?

it doesn't have to make sense to you. You can just ignore my post. If they are not happy with what they earn, they can resign and apply for jobs at FMC in Abuja or any federal hospital, to work in LASG is not by force.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 07, 2012
texazzpete:

Do you dictate your salary to your employer?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by ektbear: 6:00pm On May 07, 2012
saxywale:

Most doctors want job in civil service, there is job security, better pay and greater career progression. My relation works in lagoon hospital at the moment and almost all the doctors at lagoon (one of the best private hospital in Nigeria) are trying to cross to LASG.

Then LASG made the correct decision. They've de-fanged this union that has caused them a lot of trouble, and from what you say will have no difficulty replacing the doctors with ones of comparable quality.

Good.

Next time one of these unions wants to strike, perhaps they should pause and make sure that they are not overestimating how difficult it will be to replace them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Funkymallam(m): 6:03pm On May 07, 2012
saxywale:

How much tax do they pay in Ondo state and can u compare the cost of living in ondo state to Lagos?

Thats assuming they r even paid that 90k.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by hercules07: 6:09pm On May 07, 2012
Funkymallam:

How much tax do they pay in Ondo state and can u compare the cost of living in ondo state to Lagos?

Thats assuming they r even paid that 90k.

What is the wage bill of Ondo state and the number of people the Ondo state government has to cater for.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by manny4life(m): 6:13pm On May 07, 2012
My own take is that, in as long as Lagos state is their employer and NOT the FG, they are bound by the principles of the state govt not the FG. How can you use a benchmark from one entity to discern the output for another? FG can afford to pay that amount, but LASG cannot, meanwhile, I don't like "union" workers because they all they keep doing is continuously demand.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Rhino5dm: 6:15pm On May 07, 2012
I say sack the modafuckers!. About forking time cool

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 6:15pm On May 07, 2012
I fail to see where the argument comparing Ondo State(Wage bill, taxes etc.) with Lagos State is going. Are Doctors in Lagos subject to the same laws and rules are those in Ondo?
I mean this is as meaningless as attempting to compare wages obtainable in NY, NY with the wages obtainable in a place like Dover, Delaware. If Ondo doctors do not want to agitate for National standards to be upheld, that is their lot. However, that should not stop or stop the Lagos group from moving forward with what they believe is better for them.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Arosa(m): 6:16pm On May 07, 2012
texazzpete:

May Native doctors treat you forever more!
May Nigerian doctors treat you forever more! amen.
Re: Lagos Sacks Striking Doctors by Kobojunkie: 6:16pm On May 07, 2012
um . . .. LAGOS STATE is UNDER the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Suggesting Doctors should not use the Federal Benchmark is as silly as suggesting National Laws should not apply in Lagos. It does not make sense. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Steps To Getting The COVID-19 Vaccine In Lagos, Phase 1 & List Of Those Eligible / Final Year Student Of IMSU Slumps And Dies Few Months To His Graduation(photos) / Yeast Infection: Help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.