Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,873 members, 7,841,279 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Landlords Now Face Six(6) Months Jail Term FOR EJECTING TENANTS - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Landlords Now Face Six(6) Months Jail Term FOR EJECTING TENANTS (1054 Views)

Javier Mascherano Sentenced To 1-year Jail Term For Tax Evasion / Strange News: Ibadan Landlady Sends Spiritual Cat To Attack Tenants / Why Do Most Lagos Landlords Dislike Having Igbos As Their Tenants? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Landlords Now Face Six(6) Months Jail Term FOR EJECTING TENANTS by Barristerlaw(m): 11:27am On Jun 22, 2012
It is common occurrence with impunity for landlords in lagos state to attempt to forcibly eject or forcibly eject their tenants without taking them to court.They sometimes engage in self helf by the following acts inter alia:
a.intimidation and threatening of the tenants.
b.removal of the door by force.
C.padlocking the door to prevent entrance by the tenant.
D.removal of some of the roofing sheets etc In order to curtail these extreme and illegal acts of the landlords,the TENANCY LAW OF LAGOS STATE 2011 has made such act an offence which attracts SIX MONTHS IMPRISONMENT OR 250,000 fine.For clarity, SECTION 44(1) is hereinunder reproduced:
44-(1) subject to the provision of any law-
(a)any person who demolishes,alters or modifies a building to which this law applies with a view to ejecting a tenant and without the approval of the court;or
(b)any person who in respect of any premises-
(i)attempts to forcibly eject or forcibly eject a tenant;
(ii)threatened or molests a tenant by action or words, with a view to ejecting such tenant;or
(iii)wilfully damages any premises
shall be guilty of an offence and is liable to a fine not exceeding two hundred and fifty thousand naira or a maximum of six months imprisonment.... For further enquiry on any legal issues contact me through akinolaesq@yahoo.com or 08032493960
Re: Landlords Now Face Six(6) Months Jail Term FOR EJECTING TENANTS by Lantean(m): 10:32am On Aug 28, 2012
Yes! We've all heard this crap.
It's strange though, that Lagos State Government is making all these laws that, more than adequately, protect tenants but little or no that protects a landlord from a nightmare of a tenant.

Re: Landlords Now Face Six(6) Months Jail Term FOR EJECTING TENANTS by Obinoscopy(m): 1:35am On Aug 29, 2012
Is it enforceable? Hell No!
Thats the gospel truth

(1) (Reply)

Can A Poster Be Ban For TRIBALISM On Nairaland? / Your Long Time Followed And Favourite Threads On NL. / Seun Please Help Me Change My Username

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.