Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,437 members, 7,974,791 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 11:04 AM

Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals (5095 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ezeagu(m): 4:50pm On Jul 25, 2012
I don't know how many of you know, but many Igbo communities have a uniform code of gun signals going by the amount of times a gun is repeatedly fired. All I know is that 6 or 7 rounds fired is supposed to be a call for the rest of the community to gather at the compound (whether for a bad reason like death, or a good reason like a birth). Does anyone know anymore about this?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ChinenyeN(m): 10:34pm On Jul 25, 2012
I know ikoro to be the primary method of signaling. Has that changed to gun fire?
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ezeagu(m): 12:01am On Jul 26, 2012
It's used in addition of ikoro I think. But we have to remember guns have been in certain parts of Igbo lands for at least 150 years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ifyalways(f): 1:56am On Jul 26, 2012
Ikoro is used to signal or announce things like meeting, community service while gun shots are used to announce the arrival/laying in state of an important personality's corpse, war.
The number of shots fired varies and depends on the social status of the dead person.just like the military.
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by odumchi: 2:11am On Jul 26, 2012
I'm aware that communities have ndi oye iwu (town heralds) who go about and announce news with their ogele.

I also know that some communities use drums as a means of sending messages but I'm not aware of the use of firearms in the same manner.

I'll inquire about this. Anyway, Ezeagu, could you tell us the communities that use guns in such a manner?
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:50am On Jul 26, 2012
Gun salute(nkpo nana) is used to signal the commencement of a burial,especially the titled men. The number of the guns explains the caliber of the personality whom is being buried. Nkpo nani is also used for festivals and arrivals of men of prestige. A man thats has "Ikenga" has a specific amount of nkpo nani thats due to him when he passes.
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ChinenyeN(m): 3:20am On Jul 26, 2012
odumchi: Anyway, Ezeagu, could you tell us the communities that use guns in such a manner?
I'm interested in knowing that as well, particularly now that I've read Ify & Nri's posts.

ezeagu: It's used in addition of ikoro I think. But we have to remember guns have been in certain parts of Igbo lands for at least 150 years.
I'm aware that firearms have been in the area for quite some time now, but I've not seen or even heard of instances in which they are being used in addition to ikoro (at least, not until this moment). This is news to me.
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by odumchi: 4:36am On Jul 26, 2012
ChinenyeN:
I'm interested in knowing that as well, particularly now that I've read Ify & Nri's posts.

I just inquired from my parents and I found out that my people also practice this.

In Arochukwu we call it 'nkpo ali' and we fire guns to announce the death of prominent people. The amount of volleys depends on the person's standing in society. For example, when my grandfather died, he recieved this.

I am equally interested in knowing the other communities that practice this.
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ChinenyeN(m): 5:18am On Jul 26, 2012
I'll also go make my own inquiry. This is interesting me.
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ezeagu(m): 3:42pm On Jul 26, 2012
I thought nkpo na ala was different from the gun salutes, as in the nkpo na ala are like land mines, or are the names just the same? I specifically remember hearing about guns, but maybe they're interchangeable. I already know about nkpo na ala.

odumchi: I'm aware that communities have ndi oye iwu (town heralds) who go about and announce news with their ogele.

I also know that some communities use drums as a means of sending messages but I'm not aware of the use of firearms in the same manner.

I'll inquire about this. Anyway, Ezeagu, could you tell us the communities that use guns in such a manner?

All over, but I don't know about Anioma.
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ChinenyeN(m): 6:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
Just got word back that my people do (or did) something similar with guns, specifically dane guns. Dane guns were later on replaced with ntulala (canons). It is said that one of the reasons we used dane guns (and later, canons) was to signal beyond the local village community to the rest of the nnadi (since the ikoro drum lacked that extended range). The dane guns are said to have had no bullets. They would be fired blank. The same with the canons I believe.

The practice has become uncommon, it seems. People have now mostly reverted back to ikoro for signaling (or at the very last, ikoro has once again become what people primarily associate with community signaling).
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ezeagu(m): 10:44pm On Jul 28, 2012
ChinenyeN: Just got word back that my people do (or did) something similar with guns, specifically dane guns. Dane guns were later on replaced with ntulala (canons). It is said that one of the reasons we used dane guns (and later, canons) was to signal beyond the local village community to the rest of the nnadi (since the ikoro drum lacked that extended range). The dane guns are said to have had no bullets. They would be fired blank. The same with the canons I believe.

The practice has become uncommon, it seems. People have now mostly reverted back to ikoro for signaling (or at the very last, ikoro has once again become what people primarily associate with community signaling).

In Umuahia ekpe and in other events they use nkpo na ala/ntulala.
Re: Igbo Traditional Gun Salutes/salutations/distress Signals by ChinenyeN(m): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2012
Yea, I'm familiar with its use during festivals. I'm just surprised to find out that it has, or had, the same cultural role as ikoro.

(1) (Reply)

Who Is The Ogane To The East Of Benin / Which State Is Least Racist And Low For Gun Crime. / List Of Kano Emirs And Years Of Rule From 999 AD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.