Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,327 members, 7,881,220 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 02:35 PM

My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning (19951 Views)

See The Snake That Was Killed This Morning In My Area / My Ordeal With Nigeria Immigration Officers / True Life Story: My Ordeal With An Alien/Demon/Witch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Afam4eva(m): 1:02pm On Jul 26, 2012
I actually wonder why some people fall for this kind of scam.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by MRMICKMEN: 1:03pm On Jul 26, 2012
shocked cheesy grin grin grin grin
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by speaktoinzaghi(m): 1:03pm On Jul 26, 2012
Lmao..... they are just local 419, it happened to me on three different occasions in Abuja, most especially when going to Gwarinpa estate from Ministry of works and housing in Mabushi.....the most annoying thing is that when u look at the man talking about the money, he looks ragged and like someone that has never counted 100,000 naira in his life, crazy it may seems but its reality, when they started bringing out options, all i did was to alight and let them continue with their quest to scam he novice and unsuspecting passengers
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by honey001(m): 1:05pm On Jul 26, 2012
I was also a victim here in Abuja just dis last week Monday. I entered a car from jabi airport to Lugbe only 4 me to find myself in Idu yard! I was shocked cos i never experienced such a ugly incidence before..... Though i did nt follow dem to their acclaimed spiritual healer as i escaped the same way the OP escaped. Thank God i was nt greedy, i would have followed them. I even learnt fellow taxi drivers know dem, even police self. May God safe us in dis country.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by ecode1(m): 1:06pm On Jul 26, 2012
afam4eva: I actually wonder why some people fall for this kind of scam.
You don't need to wonder. Anybody can fall for scam be it in any form. Some people are not street-wise at all.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 26, 2012
100% of these cases occur in a private car. The first precaution in avoiding this scenario is never to board a private cab especially those without NURTW registered color ones. This is not a matter of being prayerful, once you ain't greedy and not looking forward to making millions overnight without sweating, then you can never fall into trap of these fraudsters. When its too good to be true, then it must be quickly be discarded.

3 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by 2goodbobo(m): 1:12pm On Jul 26, 2012
I have been in such situation repeatedly in Abuja along Airport road. They (one chance) are so daft that they can think of changing their line of stories! Mine was very similar to yours. The driver was accusing a guy at the back seat of stealing huge sums of money and threaten to take him to the police after seeking for my opinion. The guy said he stole the money from his Master in Ghana who was in to rituals. In my mind I knew is all a gimmick to either brainwash me or use me for Rituals. Hold up was my rescue that day. I sharply opened the door and alighted from the Car. They (one chance) sensing I was going to draw attention, drove off as fast as James bond could. Till today, I keep wondering the skill of the driver in manipulating the Traffick!

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by abfalkolly(m): 1:12pm On Jul 26, 2012
Ds is an old style now,these pple ar so dull!they ought to av change their style!i was a victim 4years ago! exactly ow it happened to the narrator,but i played along with them till will got to their so call herbalist.fortunately 4mi,they tuk me to an area where i was so conversant with.thy couldn't succeed at the end of the day anyway. up till last month ,i still had one of the guys mobile no!
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by sexlog(m): 1:13pm On Jul 26, 2012
U could have killed yourself because N100. Lucky u anyway.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by ifihearam: 1:14pm On Jul 26, 2012
tohirah: lucky you ooo. You get mind dey pursue #100. I would have ran as fast as my legs could take me

Can u imagine. Just becos of#100
Foolishness
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by kween01: 1:15pm On Jul 26, 2012
Thank God your greed no push you go ritualist side, those ones no get tym for story, #300 service you wan pay #100, also ur greed still dey babyhood stage, u for don empty ur acct nw, it's pple like u who shout girls love money everywhere and audit meat in soup pot.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Dondav(m): 1:16pm On Jul 26, 2012
These experiences are still better compared to what is happening in the EAST. I often believe there must be a gun factory in the EAST.
Okada riders, Cab drivers all rob people with different fire arms ( both day and night).
I was robbed in broad daylight by an okada rider who ripped me off my phone, money, necklace and chains. This happened in 2008. Now they are getting smarter and at times, will not ask first but shoot first. What is Nigeria becoming?
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by BijiAgam(f): 1:19pm On Jul 26, 2012
hmmmmmm this kind thing
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 26, 2012
enitan2002: 100% of these cases occur in a private car. The first precaution in avoiding this scenario is never to board a private cab especially those without NURTW registered color ones. This is not a matter of being prayerful, once you ain't greedy and not looking forward to making millions overnight without sweating, then you can never fall into trap of these fraudsters. When its too good to be true, then it must be quickly be discarded.

It happens on buses as well not just taxis. And forget bout the colour or registration. My uncle was a victim. He fell so much that he even convinced his wife to lend him money for a business.Lolz. The best way to avoid falling into their trap is to always endeavor to board public transport from the park. If one has boarded the 419 vehicle, once they start the stupid argument, just quickly disembark from the vehicle when there is a traffic jam or the vehicle slows down to a stop
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Abyjah: 1:29pm On Jul 26, 2012
It's this same story that they use without trying to improve on it.

I know a guy who while going to Onitcha from Benin entered one chance (or local as an insider will call call it). And knowing the ins and outs of the game, he played along with them even to the place of the supposed prophet that was to annul the charm on the money.

They told him they'd share the money equally if successfully exorcised, but, first, they'd have to buy some expensive potent spiritual items for use. All the while the prophet was acting as a non-party to the gang.

They asked the guy the amount he was with, he told them he had only his transport fare with him, but that he
was a student and was heading to Onitcha to collect his school fees from his uncle (meanwhile, he was a business man).

He told them he still had some money at home (Onitcha), that once he gathers all the money, he'd single-handedly pay for the items and be balanced afterwards. But the problem was that the money with him was not enough to take him to Onitcha. They gave him some money and
asked him to be quick and meet them at the prophet's place.

He left there and called his friends (very cultish boys) together. Late in the afternoon, he called them and told them he was back with the money. They asked him to come over but he said he couldn't locate the place that one person should come out to meet him.

Mehn, that was how they hung the phone and stopped picking his calls. Anyway, he took his friends somewhere to flex with the money they gave him.

3 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 26, 2012
It happened to me in surulere, 2003 I was going to my mum shop a chubby guy came to meet me that he is looking for soso street, showed me a bible that He's a Christian.that he is a togolese he said he have a full load of container loaded with nokia 3310 from America. That I should help him to look for a particular street that his marketer stays there. He promised me he will give me five 3310 I was all smile. Before I know what happen he called one girl passing by to also help him.I was even like telling him not to involve so many people in dis deal. Not knowing the girl is one of them.I didn't know when we got to there house, its like they were moving out no chair, tables or TV just 2 basins and 2 Ghana must go of black paper in a shape of money. One of them said that those papers are money if we deep them in a chemical inside a basin. They did a trial and the black paper turned to dollars, O boy my head swellow up, even, I no wan talk about the 3310 again na dollars talk I wan dey hear. I was even more desperate than them. One of them suggested we swear so that we won't reveal the deal to someone else. They ask me if my parents have money cos they need enough chemicals from Israel to wash all the dollars.I never knew I've been hypnotize, until it got to my turn to swear immediately I touched the holy bible I don't know how it happened I came to my senses. I started coughing profusely(pretending) one of them quickly went inside the room to get me a glass of water, I told the others with me dat I want to urinate he open the door and pointed outside where dey have there toilet. From there I ran outside I started asking people that where is dis location, they said its orile. I found my way back to my mums shop she said she have been praying seriously for me to come to shop cos she need to go somewhere. I was just sitting down sweating like a chicken that escape Christmas and new years death. My brodas cos of 3310, I for don be past tense by now.

8 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by kween01: 1:31pm On Jul 26, 2012
Sarah a: Which I had opportunity to the internet 5years back am sure my story would have be much exciting compare to what I went through in the hands of thesame bastard who almost ruined my life .Jan 28 2007 would forever be in my memory.They collected 150,000 from me,let me stop here dont want to remember how it all happend,those that were close to me knew what I went through in the hand's of my boss and her friends.

Eya only greedy pple who want to reap where they didn't sow play along this cheap script, no 419 can dupe u if u are nt greedy, sori, u hear. This script has been on for more than 10 yrs and I still keep wondering why it still sells else they rhud av come up with another one or pack up. SUDDEN WEALTH don't work
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by rareman(m): 1:31pm On Jul 26, 2012
but this is foolishness raised to the power 2, fifteen yrs ago the same storyline, no changes except names of their bosses that died. I ve entered their house and their car twice, came out smiling 'coz it looks nollywood movie to me, though they are no better actors
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jul 26, 2012
LMAO.... Oga Wind up the glass so the freakin' Okadas wont hear us...WTF. Hilarious! grin
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by tubolancer(m): 1:36pm On Jul 26, 2012
It happened to my brother also early this year at Obalende,God will catch those guys very soon.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by donigspain(m): 1:41pm On Jul 26, 2012
Dondav: These experiences are still better compared to what is happening in the EAST. I often believe there must be a gun factory in the EAST.
Okada riders, Cab drivers all rob people with different fire arms ( both day and night).
I was robbed in broad daylight by an okada rider who ripped me off my phone, money, necklace and chains. This happened in 2008. Now they are getting smarter and at times, will not ask first but shoot first. What is Nigeria becoming?
Holy Farook! Jeez, are you talking about this EAST where I was born or are you referring to the MIDDLE EAST? Please, stop spreading this false stereotype.

»»inafriendlytone««

2 Likes

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Mojibola(m): 1:44pm On Jul 26, 2012
Omo...exactly d same thn happened to me few weeks ago...in Ibadan, going to UI from UCH. buh me i couldnt shout, cos we were passing thru isolated areas. I had to play along till they dropped me to go and find money to neutralize d charm on d 1.5mil dollars...na so pace commot. omo olomo!
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Saraha1(f): 1:46pm On Jul 26, 2012
@kween you see why I dnt like given example of what happen to me on NL ,becos I know some one wil give stupid conclusion on things .

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jul 26, 2012
donigspain:
Holy Farook! Jeez, are you talking about this EAST where I was born or are you referring to the MIDDLE EAST? Please, stop spreading this false stereotype.

»»inafriendlytone««
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by isquar3d3(m): 1:56pm On Jul 26, 2012
Had an experience too in Ikorodu area of Lagos some 3-4 years bck. I was standing at my busstop waiting 4 a cab 2 take to Ikorodu garage wen a car pulled along. it had a passenger in front beside d driver. Meanwhile, jst some metres down d road b4 me, i noticed pple also standing, waiting 4 a cab bt d guy didn't stop 2 pick dem until he slowly drove past me, saw me and cald out 'garage!'. I assumed dat d peasn y he didnt stop 2 pick d odas was cos they weren't going 2 garage. It wasn't until he drove past some oda pple at deir busstop dat my legendary sweat broke at d exact place it always does wen im tensed, back of my neck. It later saw a well dressed lady at a busstop nd stopped 2 pick her. Mind u, it was a two-door cab. D guy in front came down so dat d lady cld join me at d bck. Na so we dey go until d guy in front told d driver he wanted 2 alight and dat he had load in d boot. Big deal. Mayb nt until d 2 dunces startd arguing anyway. Driver came back in2 d car 2 explain d situatn. D guy had dollars in his bag! Halleluyah!! Wtf is my own dere? Bros came bck 2 hs seat and startd singing. I wld hv gone down bt i cldnt witout d guy currently blabbing getn down. Na im i remember wen my grandpa tel me say dem no born anybody make him try BS wit him children, say him go blow 'efio' frm vilage gv dem 4 lagos. i con get mouth. 'Bros', i tel d guy, 'i wan cme down'. Meanwhile i been neva pay. Mayb na d way i take talk am o, i no knw. D guy sha come down, do seat 4 me make i cme down. D lady dat sat directly behind him was asking dem questns and was already fallin 4 it. I took a bike me went my way. I just thank God.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by gbomojomo(m): 1:57pm On Jul 26, 2012
HQ: LMAO.... Oga Wind up the glass so the freakin' Okadas wont hear us...WTF. Hilarious! grin
thank God for u. I had same experience three times, in aba,onitsha and warri. At onisha i took their money for tp. Warri along effuru dsc rd same like this guy. On my own, becos the rd is a dual carrage way, hardly u ve traffic. I was planning on how to get down of the car. An idea came to me, i told the driver, i am willing to participate if i can see the money with my eyes. The mumu driver then stopped,came down to open the booth. Men i came down and pick race with my laptop bag,

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by kodewrita(m): 2:00pm On Jul 26, 2012
Unfortunately for such people, I tend to mark them as fraudsters immediately. I escaped this twice.

First time was in allen in ikeja, some guy walked up to me near the Alade market claiming he was looking for one woman, that he brought goods for her( cellphones) and that he only just got released by customs and he cant seem to find her. Almost immediately someone showed up. This second guy was a great listener and his questions seemed to help develop the guy's argument. I knew instantly it was a script. I made sure not to point towards the market in anyway (yes these african superstitions sometimes control you even when you dont believe them) and simply asked him to cross the road and ask inside the market. Sidestepped both of them and walked swiftly into Mr Biggs ( am assuming Biggs are still at allen, men spent cash madly those days).

Second time was in Warri and I was deeply scared after hearing the first few sentences as I knew immediately that the two were scammers/kidnappers. The guy claimed to have brought a set of laptops for some catholic sisters and that he cant locate them as it seems they may have relocated from warri. Interestingly this was at the entrance of one of the senior staff estates for one of the companies in warri so they probably thought I was a good target. I had also just exited Chicken Republic on airport road so I FIT THE PROFILE to a t.
Almost immediately, just like the other time, a listening ear appeared. This time, it was a supposedly helpful bikeman. I was even scared they were kidnappers ( but was certain no one would kidnap a full grown me on the back of a bike). My demeanor changed immediately. I swung my bag to the back and stepped back from both of them and instantly told them I wasnt interested in buying/ selling laptops of any sort. Luckily another bike was stopped by someone else and I ran and jumped on it. Told the guy to move first and listen to destination instruction later.

Interestingly they moved off together as I left.

I have noticed though that their stories cant bear much intelligent questioning. But thats not the most dangerous part. The issue is what they will do when they find out that you know what they are planning. thats the fear.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by oluwas3un(f): 2:04pm On Jul 26, 2012
Na true u talk,cos a colleague of mine also had d same experience on saturday evening @ d same anthony.make God dey help us
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by donigspain(m): 2:06pm On Jul 26, 2012
gbomo jomo: thank God for u. I had same experience three times, in aba,onitsha and warri. At onisha i took their money for tp. Warri along effuru dsc rd same like this guy. On my own, becos the rd is a dual carrage way, hardly u ve traffic. I was planning on how to get down of the car. An idea came to me, i told the driver, i am willing to participate if i can see the money with my eyes. The mumu driver then stopped,came down to open the booth. Men i came down and pick race with my laptop bag,
Please, I will like to hear the 'Aba' experience cuz such 'style' of criminality don't happen in Aba. Those of us that grew up in Enyimba City know the pattern/style of criminal acts prevalent in Aba which am sure 'one chance' ain't on the list.

1 Like

Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by lumideezle(m): 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2012
Mhen I was in your shoes last month o entered this cab from Apapa 2 CMS and the exact same thing happened. Imediately they started sayn their story i said in my mind dat which kind wahala b this 1 now I knew whr they were going 2 . Luckly 4 me when they stoped 2 discuss how we wld share d money I just jumped out of d car lol. The thing I can rem now it that dey were really good actors Seriously they were good!!!!
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by IleIfe2(m): 2:11pm On Jul 26, 2012
I'v been hearing of cases like this as far back as the early 90s. It becomes prevalent and latter calms down then it starts again. Na wa for people o.Naija the land of nobody and anybody.
Re: My Ordeal With "One Chance Fraudsters" This Morning by IbnTimothy: 2:12pm On Jul 26, 2012
Super1759: This actually happened to me this morning on my way to work. I got to Anthony oke to board a bus or taxi going to obalende.

An ash nissan pulled up to me and picked me up.Normally it was supposed to be 300 at the park,but we were just 2.myself and a shabby looking old man then a woman in front.

The driver collected N100 from me and we moved. Along the line,the driver started shouting at the shabby guy,that he must confess if not he would be taken to the park and be beaten.lol.

The driver started explaining to me and the lady that he picked the man and some ladies that carried baskets of tomato. That when the ladies dropped,he noticed the man had a huge amount of money. sensing it must be from the ladies o..He started shouting at the man, suddenly the shabby man said he will confess,that he is a servant boy to one alhaji that the alhaji had stroke last night and died so all the boys were looting stuffs den he made away with the supposedly 1.5million dollars in the trunk o...Omen as I hear am my ear stand o!

Then the driver started asking me what I do for a living, I told him I am a student doing I.T in obalende(that was a lie). He asked the woman,the woman said she is into business. It was then my head started beeping that "I don enter bad belle cab". I tried not to show how frightened I have become because two things came to my mind : either I would be used for rituals or they would end up collecting my bb torch and the N750 I had on me(imagine just today I didn't want togo to work with atleast 10,000k).

Along the line the driver started talking plenty,what I believed was a way to wash my head. The driver said that people are wicked,are you sure he(the shabby old man) didn't kill the alhaji? the only way he will leave him is for the shabby guy to share the 1.5million dollars with us.

The lady agreed joined in the discussion. they asked me which tribe, I told them igbo. They said ok. The shabby man started begging that we shouldn't take him to station,that he will share the money but only that he is suspecting there is a charm in the bag because he almost collapsed wen he carried the Ghana must go.

I said in my mind,"i don hear am today" the lady now said she knows an imam in surulere that can neutralize the charm, we all agreed(I had to pretend to them so they don't do something nasty to me) the driver was on top gear so I didn't want to react so I wont be pushed off the cab and there was no traffic imagine!!.

we took a right turn at iyan owerre en-route surulere to see the imam. I Was praying for traffic so I will jump off the cab.

I had noticed the shabby man was so composed and really playing his script well. He looked at me from behind his eye and I pretended not to notice. He was too composed to be scared. we struck traffic at eleganza bustop.

I said to my self oboy now is the time....then on a 2nd thought, let me wait to see if there would be a police check point so I will jump out and shout "ritualist", definitely there would be a hot chase.

My decision didn't pay o! na so so lastma and yellow fever people I dey see.I looked in front the traffic was clearing,we would hit a free major road again. The driver told me to wind the glass up so that okadas wont hear us talking about the money(imagine I be pikin?)immediately I pulled the car door and jumped out!!a camry just pulled up in front of me o,I just flashed back and remembered that the driver had collected my 100 and I didn't want to let go.

I had already drawn attention from passersby and some lastma people.I immediately stood up and chased them,I started banging on the door,I wanted to open the front door to pull the woman out,she immediately locked up,I opened the shabby man's door,luckily it was open,the man just threw out my 100naira and said take your money oo and go wow!!

What an experience.I just boarded a BRT to obalende cms.I'm late for work.(My friend working somewhere in lagos)

Same thing happened to me in Benin some 8 years ago ..... same story.... I just vex shout at them to drop me and opened the door once we entered traffic

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Police Arrest Rams For Attacking 65-Year-Old Woman In Ado-Ekiti / Houses And Farms Flooded In Minna After Heavy Rainfall (Photos, Video) / High Death Rate On The Lekki Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.