Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,164 members, 7,967,306 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 03:51 PM

David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media (13182 Views)

David Mark Visits Agatu Community (Graphic Photos Inside) / Aisha Buhari Hosts End Of The Year Gathering Of Social Media Change Agents -Pics / David Mark Visits The Palace Of The Och'idoma - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by edoyad(m): 8:29am On Jul 27, 2012
Phones aren't meant for everyone, may be internet isn't for everyone too.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ayobase(m): 8:37am On Jul 27, 2012
Beaf: Sadly, there is a lot of truth in what David Mark is saying.
Presenting robust opposition is a completely different thing from sedition, lies, false rumours, slander and other forms of lawlessness.

Right here on NL, we even have mods like OAM4J who take their unethical and irresponsible behaviour to common sense defying levels that can only be described as stup!d. In my opinion, a couple of people need to learn a legal lesson or two.

Ask the foolish London teenager (Luke Angel) that called Obama a pr*ck in an email after one too many beers. All the way in the UK, the police popped round, took his picture and explained to him that he was banned from the US for LIFE. At 17!
You can imagine that secret services will be on his tail for life and he now has no future.

US security services regularly haul in people who make demeaning or threatening statements on the web for questioning (or more). The Nigerian constitution is tailored after the US one, so why not do the same thing?

Lets just be civil and truthful.

Calling ur president a pr!ck is different from voicing out.
U have said it ''lets be civil and be truthful''
U also wouldnt keep mute when there is something wrong with OUR government!

'Name' calling is simply prohibited!
They should respect themselves also!
Respect is earned!

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by tunnytox(m): 8:41am On Jul 27, 2012
The boy does not only called him pr!ck but also threaten to do something to hurt Obama, if i can get a link to the news on daily mail i'll post it here later, I don't think its just about insult. However, the fact that the boy in question is not a US citizen makes it worse. At least the other day someone heckled Obama during his immigration reforms bill speech and NOTHING happens to him.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ayobase(m): 8:44am On Jul 27, 2012
Beaf:

You always talk like a fool, because thats what you are (or maybe you simply lack upbringing or weren't loved as a kid).
Why not threaten Obama on the internet and see how far?

It is the policy of the US secret services to keep threat investigations secret. So you might simply disappear one quiet day.
http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/65mcrm.htm

Fool.

Is name calling (still not appropriate) not different from assualt or threat?
I didnt c name calling (abuse) there!
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by dedeike: 8:44am On Jul 27, 2012
If it were in saner climes, I'm very sure that Sahara SHOPRITE of lies would have folded up and closed for business.
The US cannot tolerate this level of falsehood in the guise of social media networking.
You must be factual and accurate in your reportage of events.
Can you imagine all the lies that Sahara has been feeding us on Nairaland on a daily basis. David Mark is right on this one.
I even suggest he should go the extra mile to enact laws that will govern social media networking in Nigeria. It's long overdue.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ayobase(m): 8:48am On Jul 27, 2012
tunnytox: @beaf
Insult and threat are not the same, that boy threatened Obama and was banned in the US for life moreso he's not a US citizen so why was he threatning Obama if not out of hatred? Obama receives a lot of insults from several US citizens everyday and there's nothing he can do about it because it is not unlawful to speak your mind against the president. Even here in the UK Kenny Clackson once called Gordon Brown a one eye Scottish idiot and nothing happens apart from criticism from the blind association of Britain for what they termed as mocking of the blind.

So people like Mark should focus on doing there job and forget about the so called insults.

And drunk boy for that matter!
D officer might be seeking public recognition!
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Hugoboi(m): 8:49am On Jul 27, 2012
Presenting robust opposition is a completely different thing from sedition, lies, false rumours, slander and other forms of lawlessness.

Right here on NL, we even have mods like OAM4J who take their unethical and irresponsible behaviour to common sense defying levels that can only be described as stup!d. In my opinion, a couple of people need to learn a legal lesson or two.

Ask the foolish London teenager (Luke Angel) that called Obama a pr*ck in an email after one too many beers. All the way in the UK, the police popped round, took his picture and explained to him that he was banned from the US for LIFE. At 17!
You can imagine that secret services will be on his tail for life and he now has no future.

US security services regularly haul in people who make demeaning or threatening statements on the web for questioning (or more). The Nigerian constitution is tailored after the US one, so why not do the same thing?

Social media is now a problem because Nigerians have become aware of the shenanigans of their leaders. I'm not surprised at the quote above. Its obvious the poster will never see anything wrong with his paymasters even if it they end up ravaging the country to death. Imagine the lame Obama excuse!!
Power is transient, ask YarAdua. Destiny thrust a chance on GEJ to imprint his name in gold by changing our nation for the better but sadly, he's fallen victim to greed, avarice and corruption. The storm is coming and the revolution WILL BE TELEVISED...

3 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ayobase(m): 8:55am On Jul 27, 2012
tunnytox: The boy does not only called him pr!ck but also threaten to do something to hurt Obama, if i can get a link to the news on daily mail i'll post it here later, I don't think its just about insult. However, the fact that the boy in question is not a US citizen makes it worse. At least the other day someone heckled Obama during his immigration reforms bill speech and NOTHING happens to him.

He might decide to ban him to Iran.
LOL!
Many hecklers and more to come!
But, the smallie should have been pardoned...he was inebriated!
Scape goat!
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Hugoboi(m): 9:02am On Jul 27, 2012
Oluwadare: "Eni sehun ikoko loman'kie sekunle"<> You don't afraid of light if you have no skeleton in your cupboard.

My sentiments exactly!
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 27, 2012
Mr Mark, Face your job and stop spewing nonsense. You can resign if you cant bear criticism. tongue
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ypzilanti: 9:38am On Jul 27, 2012

Go to yahoo message boards. Obama is called all unimaginable things there.

You have to threaten the life of the President of The United States to warrant an investigation by the Secret Service.

It is usually just an interview and questioning, and not an outright prosecution because most Americans are aware of this law, and would rather say something more ambigious that would be hard to prove in court.

About foriegn nationals, it is the prerogative for any government to allow or disallow a visit. As a foriegner you do not have any RIGHTS to travel to another country and people have been denied visas for more mundane reasons.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Elueme: 9:43am On Jul 27, 2012
This remark by Mark shouldn't call for disaffection here, not now but rather let us carefully analyse the substance.. One thing is that you can't betray your conscience to sentiments even if your outward actions betrays it.. I am a proponent of freedom especially freedom of speech but however, there's nothing on earth without guide or binding rules.. Courtesy demands politeness in handling issues on this forum and in any other sociomedia platform..To be candid, so many have not been fair on govt y I will not take side with the voice of opposition all because i am awashed that nothing good ll come out of incumbent govt... I smell a rat.. He who seeks equity must come with a clean hand.. A situation where some disgruntled politicians who claimed to be saints and more educated and fit to rule subvert the utility of sociomedia to enmesh the country in a very bad light all in desperation to grab power should be rejected and opposed by true lovers of this country.. All said you can't kill a man's voice until he's dead however let us be constructive at criticisms.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ballabriggs: 10:00am On Jul 27, 2012
Why David Mark? Because we no dey follow una lies for NTA again?

Ovoko!!! David Mark for President 2015.

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 27, 2012
[quote author=Rhino.5dm]Are you now trying to compare Obama to Jonathan Goatluck Retardeen? shocked

Abegi, leave matter jooor. . . .who da fucck are these muderfucking thieves to control my voice, when I provide my security, water, electricity, healthcare . . .and buy SUV to escape the potholes on our roads. Just look at East-West road leading to GEJ's house and tell me why should we respect him. people are dying on per second basis on that road, yet billion of naira is budgeted and approved for that project yearly. There is no day I'll drive through that road without pulling out fresh dead bodies, victims of bad governance and corruption.

My take is David Mark should relax and wait till ending next year, when the vortex of the peaceful revolution has gather enough momentum to bring down the senate building, only then we would know who is really incharge. . . He should get worry with the activities of Dino Melaye and Nasir El-rufai that are twittering 100 twitts per day.

[/quote
Well my friend you missing the whole point....there is what I'd called the freedom of expression and speech should incase you have forgotten. If the boy ban from America feels that he has a reson for saying that, I think he can sue!
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ayox2003: 10:02am On Jul 27, 2012
Hugoboi:

Social media is now a problem because Nigerians have become aware of the shenanigans of their leaders. I'm not surprised at the quote above. Its obvious the poster will never see anything wrong with his paymasters even if it they end up ravaging the country to death. Imagine the lame Obama excuse!!
Power is transient, ask YarAdua. Destiny thrust a chance on GEJ to imprint his name in gold by changing our nation for the better but sadly, he's fallen victim to greed, avarice and corruption. The storm is coming and the revolution WILL BE TELEVISED...

7 stars. All what you wrote here should be a daily epistle for the 40 laptops guys. Cos GEJ will come and go but democracy will remain.

Frawzey
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Demdem(m): 10:02am On Jul 27, 2012
David Mark has always been a foool. Am not surprise at all.
Leaders that demean their citizens in the midst of plentious potentials deserves nothing more than a curse.
A gluttonous leader that consumes approx 1Billion naira worth of food in a financial year in the midst of abject poverty deserves to be stoned.
Mark Fish, kiss my arseee.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by alaoeri: 10:09am On Jul 27, 2012
Why won't Mark said so because their corrupts deed is being exposed per seconds & the entire populace is more enlighten. Its 'll reach to a certain stage that nigerians won't be able to accommodates these mess again & they 'll revolt against the nigerian system of government, this is how the arab spring started gradually.

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by sheyguy: 10:10am On Jul 27, 2012
Why not let us ban Phones as corrupt citizens us it to get to our leaders when seeking for undue favours, or because criminals use it for crimes. As long as internet access CPEs are registered in Nigeria, anything David Mark is saying here can be applied to Phones as Sim Cards are registered as well.
The way i see this whole thing: Reno Omokri and his 40 the men crew are losing too many battles of Re-Branding our Presido and simply can't stand smarter folks anymore. They are the ones suggesting this idea to some powerful figures. I wonder what David Mark expects the citizen to do when the presido himself and opposition haul insults at themselves openly . . .

2 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by megxo(m): 10:12am On Jul 27, 2012
MARK, GO N SEE UR NAMESAKE "ZUCKERBERG".............. OR BETA STILL BAN UR KIDS FROM USING PHONE NA
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by mrperfect(m): 10:12am On Jul 27, 2012
Control social media, that isn't welcome idea.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by JideTheBlogger(m): 10:13am On Jul 27, 2012
Lobatan...and you are planning Nairaland Get-together? Abeg, make you na re-think am ooo
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by NiyiMorino(m): 10:17am On Jul 27, 2012
We are heading towards a chinese model, where social media and internet is censored. Mark should face his legislative duties while we face our social media duties here.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Ignatio(m): 10:21am On Jul 27, 2012
Control the social media? That means we are going to be like China where use of Facebook and Twitter are restricted. Also forums like Nairaland would be restricted from Nigerians.

El Rufia, Omojuwa, Tolu Ogunlesi and others must be reason behind this control call.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Bawss1(m): 10:25am On Jul 27, 2012
Beaf:

The bolded line above is a straight up lie. Let Beaf provide evidence of the US hauling people for making demeaning statements about its leaders on the web.

What David Mark is calling for is akin to what the likes of Libya, Syria, North Korea and Iran embarked on at some point(or are still doing).It smacks of totalitarianism and dictatorship. I'm shocked that our senate president is making such a call.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by ballabriggs: 10:28am On Jul 27, 2012
David Bonaventure Mark for President come 2015.

He has been ordained by God.

Freshest Air!!!
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by israelbenzion: 10:32am On Jul 27, 2012

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by tunapawizzy: 10:36am On Jul 27, 2012

dude ur job schedule is to sell gej n his administration to the public not to fetch them more haters. sincerely u have failed, d more u post the more ur paymaster's incompetence is unveiled. were u privy to the full content of Luke Angel's email. If u think deep u should know that the dude must have said more things which must be kept away from the public. And for goodness sake why must u always abuse people that have contrary opinion to yours, if ur employers were wise they should have known that u have no ability to persuade nigerians to like them, ur most striking quality is coersion which is rather unfortunate.

5 Likes

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Bawss1(m): 10:42am On Jul 27, 2012
Hugoboi:

+ 1000
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Sweetlemon(f): 10:42am On Jul 27, 2012
Beaf:

You always talk like a fool, because thats what you are (or maybe you simply lack upbringing or weren't loved as a kid).
Why not threaten Obama on the internet and see how far?

It is the policy of the US secret services to keep threat investigations secret. So you might simply disappear one quiet day.
http://www.justice.gov/usao/eousa/foia_reading_room/usam/title9/65mcrm.htm

Fool.
Hello Beaf, before you start gloating, that stuff only applies to non-citizens of America. Trust me, if there is one country where citizens are free to express their anger at their leaders, it's the U.S!
Go check the way Americans have wringed Obama's neck (for much lesser sins than your oga)on yahoo, and other social sites.

1 Like

Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by Freiburger(m): 10:43am On Jul 27, 2012
He is so s-t-u-p-i-d, if the leaders were mentally balanced i guess the social medium will be used for praising them.
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by tunapawizzy: 10:46am On Jul 27, 2012
Sweetlemon:
Hello Beaf, before you start gloating, that stuff only applies to non-citizens of America. Trust me, if there is one country where citizens are free to express their anger at their leaders, it's the U.S!
Go check the way Americans have wringed Obama's neck (for much lesser sins than your oga)on yahoo, and other social sites.

tell d ignorant man o....b4 he starts staying what he does not know
Re: David Mark Calls For Control Of Social Media by maj007(m): 10:50am On Jul 27, 2012
This david mark is a dictator in the making.

Why not just expunge freedom of expression frm our constitution. How on earth can a leader in a democratic set up seek 2 control social media (the voice of the people). May be he does not know what social media implies. Anyway i am not surprised abt his silly comment. He once said in the 90s that using telephone should not be a luxury for every1. Today, even street beggars use cell phones.

It's a shame. Nigerians deserve better than this myopic thinking imbec?le for a senate president.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Justice Audu Bako Dies / Buhari Assured Of 2million Votes From Borno. / Lai Mohammed: ISWAP Behind Attacks On Christians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.