Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,595 members, 7,926,740 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 09:19 PM

Improving Low Gpa - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Improving Low Gpa (48340 Views)

Nigerian Sets Record, Scores 5.0 GPA In Russia.. / Emmanuel Ohuabunwa Earned 3.98 GPA At John Hopkins University / What GPA Is 2nd Class Upper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Improving Low Gpa by TalkingBird: 2:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
There is a post in this forum that give it all. It has step by step, what you need to do to make a first class.
I did virtually all in that list during my school years and it worked for me.
So your first assignment is, search for that thread. I think it is on How to make a first class.
Print it out, read it and follow through on the advice
All the Best.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by TalkingBird: 2:32pm On Jul 31, 2012
Re: Improving Low Gpa by kpolli(m): 2:35pm On Jul 31, 2012
If it is unilag, I wont be shocked. . . Been there, done that. . . If u need tips, pm. . . Only if it is unilag
Re: Improving Low Gpa by seunwen2(m): 2:39pm On Jul 31, 2012
Oh boy no dey give urself hope na 3rd class sure pass

1 Like

Re: Improving Low Gpa by TalkingBird: 2:55pm On Jul 31, 2012
Being cool headed and following the advice will surely do the job clean.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by seledafti: 2:57pm On Jul 31, 2012
ednut1: guy u too dey lie, assumin ur friend got 5 points wich is nt possible, OP u no sabi book deal wit it

Guy, its just a semester out of 10 semesters, with 1.00< you can sstill make it
Re: Improving Low Gpa by boyendowed(m): 3:06pm On Jul 31, 2012
I don't know which other advice you were expecting from people apart from "study harder".That's the only thing you can do
Re: Improving Low Gpa by mhozzis(m): 4:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
The answer to the question is wit you. Ignor the advice me those asking you to sleep with your lecturers that wont do much. Most times you read and write your best in exams but e lecturers will have the final say he you have read enough or not. I had therane experience in my 100 level too mind was not as bad as yours though, i read, did my assignments so i expected A's or B's in my result but at the end i got c's in most courses where i expected better grade. Now am through with 2-1.
Here is my advice
1. God first in every thing you do, either reading or writting your exams
2. Read harder, read the right materials, and know what each of your lectures want.
3. Check your friends, maybe they are the ones that read a page and understand all the note and you on the other hand would have to read all the notes to understand it.
4. The list is endless but i will stop here by asking you to still but God first and last. You will be supericed at what a little trusth in God can do.
Thanks for being bold enough to share.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Nmeri17: 4:28pm On Jul 31, 2012
sanchez4eva: Uniben tins sha...normally if u get a low gp in d first year it is easy to make it up later cus 1st yr is lyk 5 or 10 percent of d total gp...U jst haff to work hard and lemme tell u d truth-first class no be beans..Its normal for a fresher to dream of first class but after one year τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ truth shall descend lyk a blow...2.1 or first class is nt d problem, gettin a cool job later is what counts...If u be babe try and hustle for beta husband sharp sharp..If u be guy start dy cari laptop..*Cough*
laptop 4 what?
Re: Improving Low Gpa by mhozzis(m): 4:29pm On Jul 31, 2012
TalkingBird: @ Post
Please read this post
https://www.nairaland.com/934777/9-ways-make-first-class
The link too is useful.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Binty(f): 4:40pm On Jul 31, 2012
Thanks everyone i have seen everything you said and i must say thanks again. I was just so disillusioned so i came here, because i dont have a lot of friends anyway thanks again the encouragement has been helpful God bless you all .
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Sent4rina: 4:52pm On Jul 31, 2012
@op actually, wen dia is life, dia is hope. Its cause an adhoc dan normal wen some1 reads rigorosly, & got marks below his/her expectation.. I think all u need do is to stick to those listed techniques.. Believe me or not, its only diligent, commitment wif God intervention dat can make u end up wif First class... Anyway, i wish u best from God.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 31, 2012
@Op

1. Just believe you can make it without expo, and don't get distracted when you see your colleagues using it. Concentrate and forget who is copying your work or seeking your attention.

2. Concentrate mostly on the programming courses, that alone would give you and edge.

3. Most lecturers like verbatim, just give it to them. It make marking much more easier, because those script may likely be marked by a fellow student who may not be in your field.

4. Join a good fellowship and seek God.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
Okija_juju:

Even God sef tire for the matter!
Would you atheists 'shut your mouths' and allow serious-minded people share practical advice with this friend?
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Elucivestone: 5:41pm On Jul 31, 2012
Well... U can start by logging off.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by GboyegaD(m): 5:45pm On Jul 31, 2012
Kayoski: 2 be sincere wit u first class is out of it.jst dont give up believe in urself ,face ur God...u cud still get a second class upper..

Very wrong bro. I have a friend who had a 1.2 in his 1st sememster and ended with a 2.5CGPA at the end of his 1st year. He eventually graduated with a CGPA above 4.4 at least Jarus can testify to it. The guy had an astronomical increase in his CGPA.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by sayid(m): 5:48pm On Jul 31, 2012
First class might not b possible again but all hope is not lost. Second class upper would b d best if only u will work harder. But above all things, God is the one who grants wisdom, trust God for a better result next semester and all will b well. I also started with second class lower but to the Glory of GOD am in a second class upper. So work hard and pray
Re: Improving Low Gpa by GboyegaD(m): 5:50pm On Jul 31, 2012
Binty: Good day all ! I am a 100 level economics student in one of the universities in Nigeria after studing so hard for my first semester examinations and believing i passed i was so suprised to get a 1.96 gpa pls i want some advice to get it back up because i have always wanted to get a first class is that even still possible for me ?Thanks in anticipation

I would advice you study yourself better to know when you assimilate the most. Do not be coarsed into reading because every other student is because that is what destroys most student and it could be very discouraging as well. If you know yourself well, I can assure you that before you know it, your CGPA would rise beyond imagination.
Another step you could take is read one day in the night, the following day read during the day and the third day, read very early in the morning. Thereafeter, assess what you have read and see which one was the easiest for you to retain that way, you can plan your reading well enough. Wish you the very best and hope to hear of your success story in the near future. Economics is a great course and I must confess I couldn't have loved any other course so well like it.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jul 31, 2012
chemashie: Face ur studies, don‘t read hard but read smart. Never use past questions in the begining of ur semester cos it can limit ur ability to read wide most especially if d lecturer is suddenly changed. To be candid with u, first class isn‘t meant 4u again cos u blew it ursef.
Your advice is good.However,ruling out the possibility of her graduating with First Class Honour is a rather premature conclusion.Hard work can turn things around.....always keep an optimistic view of things.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Jarus(m): 6:11pm On Jul 31, 2012
antitpiah:

How can you read something that has been expunged'from the syllabus'? rofl. This is why I like coming here, reminds of my history and the peculiarity of Naija English. Using big words in nonsensical context. grin grin grin grin

How you can: In my year 1 in the university, I gathered as many materials as I can on SSC 101(Sociology). Those I got from my sister that wrote the course years ago, those I got from tutorial classes, I was just accummulating every material that had something to do with sociology. Meanwhile the syllabus had been reviewed and most of the things I was reading were no longer part of the syllabus. I ended up having B in what was supposed to be the easiest course if I had stuck to only what was taught in class.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by sanchez4eva: 7:23pm On Jul 31, 2012
Nmeri17:
laptop 4 what?
Ask me again
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 31, 2012
Bt seriously,do you guys think she can make first class?
First yr is meant for just repitition of wht u av been tot in secondary school but just little advance..how can she make it to first class even when she is yet to start her departmental courses and failing in her 1sy yr(in lautech & OOU dt i'm very sure of,100lvl is just meant for repitition of wht u were taught in secondary school)?100lvl is d main foundation where you can build ur CGPA
#dtz my own view,i maybe wrong#
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 31, 2012
Bt seriously,do you guys think she can make first class?
First yr is meant for just repitition of wht u av been tot in secondary school but just little advance..how can she make it to first class even when she is yet to start her departmental courses and failing in her 1sy yr(in lautech & OOU dt i'm very sure of,100lvl is just meant for repitition of wht u were taught in secondary school)?100lvl is d main foundation where you can build ur CGPA,so for her to not perform well in her 1st yr,u need to question how she got her O level results
Re: Improving Low Gpa by GboyegaD(m): 8:20pm On Jul 31, 2012
Jarus:

How you can: In my year 1 in the university, I gathered as many materials as I can on SSC 101(Sociology). Those I got from my sister that wrote the course years ago, those I got from tutorial classes, I was just accummulating every material that had something to do with sociology. Meanwhile the syllabus had been reviewed and most of the things I was reading were no longer part of the syllabus. I ended up having B in what was supposed to be the easiest course if I had stuck to only what was taught in class.

Pele tie. it must have been the igba irumoles or arogbaashomabale that were on your case then grin grin grin
Re: Improving Low Gpa by GboyegaD(m): 8:24pm On Jul 31, 2012
Soyedele1: Bt seriously,do you guys think she can make first class?
First yr is meant for just repitition of wht u av been tot in secondary school but just little advance..how can she make it to first class even when she is yet to start her departmental courses and failing in her 1sy yr(in lautech & OOU dt i'm very sure of,100lvl is just meant for repitition of wht u were taught in secondary school)?100lvl is d main foundation where you can build ur CGPA

Perhaps she was faking her reading like many people do in the school I graduated from. Although it worked for some, it worked against some. A typical example is you seeing some people going to read even before the start of lecture and some silly friends would go with them because they want to be percieved as serious not minding if they gain anything from the act or not. In my case, I missed classes a lot and it had its effect but one thing I do to help me is cooking for my friends when tests and exams are fast approaching and that way, they summarize everything for me and it really worked however, I have learnt to start reading on my own now.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by tadysmart(m): 8:36pm On Jul 31, 2012
[quote author=Binty]Good day all ! I am a 100 level economics student in one of the universities in Nigeria After studing so hard for my first semester examinations and believing i passed i was so suprised to get a 1.96 gpa
pls i want some advice to get it back up because i have always wanted to get a first class is that even still possible for me ?Thanks in anticipation[/quote/]

Good you ask this question. I will be hard on you though no had feelings. Judging from your presentation,you are intelligent. Am angry you said you read or study and you could only make 1.96 and a carry over. You did not read and/or study,why?because you were facebooking,twittering and possibly 2going. Let all these social networks be face your studies . And again if you have a boyfriend who is not serious with his studies or disturb you a lot call it off. Stop partying if you do. Your first class is still very possible. Call off anything that takes your time in school,and then pray,the first class you so desire will be yours. Don't be discouraged by those who said your first class is no longer possible,if you start making A's from your first year second semester,why won't you hit first class. ##hard work is the greatest prayer.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by bobby2270(m): 8:48pm On Jul 31, 2012
Binty: Good day all ! I am a 100 level economics student in one of the universities in Nigeria After studing so hard for my first semester examinations and believing i passed i was so suprised to get a 1.96 gpa
pls i want some advice to get it back up because i have always wanted to get a first class is that even still possible for me ?Thanks in anticipation
Well i guess that the best you can get now is second class upper. But you have to work hard for it. Just make sure you move with the people who are topping the class, go to the library in your school and read recommended books for your courses. Also dont ever doubt that you can make that second class upper. As long as you focus on getting it, you'll get it. Wishing you the best of Luck.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Jarus(m): 9:06pm On Jul 31, 2012
GboyegaD:

Perhaps she was faking her reading like many people do in the school I graduated from. Although it worked for some, it worked against some. A typical example is you seeing some people going to read even before the start of lecture and some silly friends would go with them because they want to be percieved as serious not minding if they gain anything from the act or not. In my case, I missed classes a lot and it had its effect but one thing I do to help me is cooking for my friends when tests and exams are fast approaching and that way, they summarize everything for me and it really worked however, I have learnt to start reading on my own now.
Wierd grin I remember always seeing you in 001's room cheesy

I wondered how you were doing well in class, given the number of days you spent outside school juggling school works with your HND programme and later NYSC. You try sha.
Re: Improving Low Gpa by ayorins(m): 10:21pm On Jul 31, 2012
guy make sure u pray and read hard with god, all things are possible. but if i may ask, didnt u attend class or how did it happen
Re: Improving Low Gpa by emiye(m): 1:17am On Aug 01, 2012
@OP Did you make at least five distinctions in your o-levels without "special centre" assistance ?

If the answer to the above is NO, you are probably not a first class material lipsrsealed

is your yr 1 -4 or 5 equally weighted in gpa ?

If your answer is no, at the risk of sounding pessimistic, you should forget about first class

Narrow your loss by accepting the situation, take anything less than a 2-1 at the end as a failure, start by drawing a very workable plan, when you want to get in to the 2-1 zone e.g end of year 1 or at worst end of year 2 first semester.

Dont follow the crowd, understand yourself, read at the OPTIMAL time.

Never be to proud to ask for help from your fellow course mates and "seniors"

Have past questions of all your courses(as many years as possible) and have a note book where you solve them in, imagine you had an exam, where open book was allowed.

Pray and expect the best
Re: Improving Low Gpa by Sacredcow: 9:36am On Aug 01, 2012
you need to read hard and gather more materials for your studies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNILAG Sacks Boniface Igbeneghu & Samuel Omoniyi Over Sex For Grade Scandal / Esther Eyiuche Uchendu Wins 2018 Young Scientist Award / #NoSchoolBagChallenge: Student Brings Coffin To School In South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.