Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,319 members, 7,936,972 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 09:15 AM

What’s Wrong With Nigeria? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What’s Wrong With Nigeria? (786 Views)

Kenya Demand Friendly Match With Nigeria / Brazil Calls Off Friendly With Nigeria Over Bombings / Giovanni Trapattoni To Sign Two Year Contract With Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What’s Wrong With Nigeria? by supereagle(m): 2:28am On Jul 31, 2012
The aura he radiated was infectious. The respect paid to him made this reporter momentarily feel good as a Nigerian.

You would need a special pass to get into his Marriot Hotel on Duke Street here to see him. He is well known in the international sports family. But Bolaji Abdullahi, the sports minister of Nigeria does not even know him.

However, Olatokumbo Thomas knows that the minister is new to sports and would not blame him but those in the sports ministry and the Nigeria Olympic Committee whom he said were yet to brief the minister adequately on important sports matters.
Thomas is an Executive member of FINA, swimming world governing body. Swimming has up to 47 gold medals and said to fetch money for IOC more than other sports. That is how big swimming is here. And one of those who run the sport in the world is our own Thomas.

“The minister doesn’t know that I exist,” he said in a chat with him at the lobby of the hotel. Other top sports officials here payed tribute to him as they passed by.

They said pleasant things and hailed the Nigerian who is a Vice President of the world body. This reporter had visited in company of Amaju Pinnick, Delta State sports boss who said that he was here to learn a few things about swimming.

“There are only about three Nigerians in the Executive Committees of world bodies but the minister doesn’t even know us what more relating with us for the interest of sports in our country,” Thomas lamented before pouring out his heart on a matter he felt Nigerians must know.

[size=18pt]“I don’t care if they don’t care about me but I care for Nigerian sports. Do you know the embarrassment Nigeria brought to me here? Two Nigerians qualified to swim here in the Olympics. They had already been registered to compete here and accreditation already issued. But the sports ministry advised the Nigeria Olympic Committee to withdraw them from the Olympics because they felt that they would not be able to win anything.
[/size]
[size=16pt]It was unbelievable. Members of FINA here are asking me what is wrong with Nigeria? It is a good question that I want the sports ministry and NOC to answer. Do you know what it means to an athlete to qualify for the Olympics and compete there? It is the greatest stage for any athlete. And there are always surprises. Even if the athletes don’t win the experience gathered at the Olympic Games is unmatchable.
[/size]
Have all the other athletes we entered won in their events? Were they ever hoping that all of them would win? Why must they exclude swimming because they felt we would not win? Something must be wrong with us and I really want the leadership of NOC and the National Sports Commission to explain to Nigerians what the problem is. People have been nasty to our sports and it is unfortunate. I weep for Nigeria

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/whats-wrong-with-nigeria/
Re: What’s Wrong With Nigeria? by ariy(m): 11:41am On Jul 31, 2012
dat is wat u get when a farmer was in charge of sports
Re: What’s Wrong With Nigeria? by supereagle(m): 1:33pm On Jul 31, 2012
Dr Patrick Ekeji (Imbise Man ,from Imo state) is a technocrat in the field of sports admin. he should av guided them aright. He is the leader of Team Nigeria . I pity Naija.
Re: What’s Wrong With Nigeria? by Litmus: 1:33am On Aug 01, 2012
supereagle:
Have all the other athletes we entered won in their events? Were they ever hoping that all of them would win? Why must they exclude swimming because they felt we would not win? Something must be wrong with us and I really want the leadership of NOC and the National Sports Commission to explain to Nigerians what the problem is. People have been nasty to our sports and it is unfortunate. I weep for Nigeria

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/07/whats-wrong-with-nigeria/

Nigeria's PR is already suffering terrorism, corruption charges; polio etc, perhaps a swimmer likely to finish after others had since left the arena and switched off the lights was too intolerable to contemplate for Nigeria.

Eric Moussambani from Equatorial Guinea made Africa a laughing-stock. No one who watched that race ever forgot. Back then, people defended it as a good experience, a good start that would inspire younger Africans to take up competitive swimming resulting in a plethora of hungry new swimmers who might one day take the world by storm. None of that happened. In fact, one could argue that it set African swimming back. That Nigeria was quick to deny this guy Olatokumbo Thomas his chance may be a case in point.

Anyway heartfelt sympathy to the guy
Re: What’s Wrong With Nigeria? by supereagle(m): 5:56am On Aug 01, 2012
Litmus:

Nigeria's PR is already suffering terrorism, corruption charges; polio etc, perhaps a swimmer likely to finish after others had since left the arena and switched off the lights was too intolerable to contemplate for Nigeria.

Eric Moussambani from Equatorial Guinea made Africa a laughing-stock. No one who watched that race ever forgot. Back then, people defended it as a good experience, a good start that would inspire younger Africans to take up competitive swimming resulting in a plethora of hungry new swimmers who might one day take the world by storm. None of that happened. In fact, one could argue that it set African swimming back. That Nigeria was quick to deny this guy Olatokumbo Thomas his chance may be a case in point.

Anyway heartfelt sympathy to the guy

It is wrong to withdraw somebody who qualified for an event and allow people who have biz to be there.
Re: What’s Wrong With Nigeria? by Murphy7h4: 8:41am On Aug 01, 2012
Thanks for sharing.

(1) (Reply)

Sad Truth About Arsenal / I Was Asked To Pay Bribes If I Wanted To Represent Nigeria @ The Olympics - Obi / Godfrey Oboabona - The Rock At The Heart Of Super Eagles' Defence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.