Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,239 members, 7,925,844 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 02:10 AM

My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. (14530 Views)

Create Your Thoughts, Don't Let Your Thoughts Create You... / Your Thoughts On Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Church / Your Thoughts On This Sticker Of Bishop Oyedepo? Blasphemy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by kemifemi: 1:25pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel:

Fa fa Foul !!

Tithing is out of the equation. Tithing is not a condition for salvation, never was and never will be .

No one is saying you have to pay thithe before you can be saved! Tithing is a principle.its an act of giving back to God.God says pay your tithe and see if he would not open the windows of heaven! Its a way of appreciating God for what he has given you.Simply put, your tithe will stop the devil from tampering with your finances! Its a kingdom principle
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Iykecollins(m): 4:30pm On Aug 15, 2012
joe4christ:

Just listen to yourself, are'nt u even ashamed? The word of the lord cannot be broken, God will never share his Glory with any man, you might choose to be adamant and not willing to learn cos u think u've known enough, and that's why God said in Hosea 4:6 that he has rejected many cos they rejected knowledge.
Lool up to jesus the author and finisher of our faith who himself is our all in all.
This is the reason why the catholic church in its early days never allowed people to own the bible or read it by themselves, the church then was allowed to interpret and guide its followers, now even the worst human being can quote a scripture in the bible to justify his atrocities, just like the devil did in tempting Jesus....smh. Tell me an issue u have about the church and u wont c a counter portion of the bible to it, that is y we have to pray 4 understand and the holy spirit to direct us while reading it. I had a frnd in skul, a CE member, he could read bible 4 almost a whole day and he ran mad in d nxt year. There is something dat is knwn as conscience and we christians call it d holy spirit. Whatever u do and ur spirit does not codemn u is not sin. I am a catholic and we have no apologies to anyone on how we worship and serve God. If God himself is not comfortable with dat, he would have spoken through one of his ordained dat we should stop certain pattern of worship and reverence. I dnt knw why we are quoting some chapters and verses and still disputing ourselves. By d way we celebrated her glorious assumption into haven today and all nation called her blessed, whoever is not comfortable with dat, should ignore my post.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 7:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel: If you want to join a Mary worshipping cult then the catholic church is for you.

Remember membership of a church , any sect for that matter, is not what qualifies you as a Christian.

You must be born into the Kingdom of God to count as one of his. If any man does not have the Spirit of Christ he is none of his.

Simply taking membership, especially of a false institution will not cut with God.

Do not be deceived.

God wants to convert you to his child not into a member of an apostate church.
........just imagining how miserable your life is. Criticising the catholic church cant be a big deal. But you re doomed when you criticise the mother of God.watch your mouth hence you suffer cancer of the mouth
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by DeAdvocate: 8:20pm On Aug 15, 2012
[quote author=Bélla3] i am a protestant! Wat r u protesting? Fuel subsidy? Nonsense!
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 15, 2012
jchime:
........just imagining how miserable your life is. Criticising the catholic church cant be a big deal. But you re doomed when you criticise the mother of God.watch your mouth hence you suffer cancer of the mouth

God has no mother !
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 15, 2012
kemifemi:

No one is saying you have to pay thithe before you can be saved! Tithing is a principle.its an act of giving back to God.God says pay your tithe and see if he would not open the windows of heaven! Its a way of appreciating God for what he has given you.Simply put, your tithe will stop the devil from tampering with your finances! Its a kingdom principle

Tithing is un-scriptural and is not a kingdom principle.

Giving with a willing heart on the other hand is a kingdom principle.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by DeGrace01(m): 8:50pm On Aug 15, 2012
frosbel:

God has no mother !

ignorance of the scripture, sorry
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Richiy(f): 9:14pm On Aug 15, 2012
My dear, wat i wl say is dat every doctrine shud b xamind unda d searchlight of d Bible b4 aceptance. Do dat nd judge 4 urslf.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 15, 2012
Iykecollins:
This is the reason why the catholic church in its early days never allowed people to own the bible or read it by themselves, the church then was allowed to interpret and guide its followers, now even the worst human being can quote a scripture in the bible to justify his atrocities, just like the devil did in tempting Jesus....smh. Tell me an issue u have about the church and u wont c a counter portion of the bible to it, that is y we have to pray 4 understand and the holy spirit to direct us while reading it. I had a frnd in skul, a CE member, he could read bible 4 almost a whole day and he ran mad in d nxt year. There is something dat is knwn as conscience and we christians call it d holy spirit. Whatever u do and ur spirit does not codemn u is not sin. I am a catholic and we have no apologies to anyone on how we worship and serve God. If God himself is not comfortable with dat, he would have spoken through one of his ordained dat we should stop certain pattern of worship and reverence. I dnt knw why we are quoting some chapters and verses and still disputing ourselves. By d way we celebrated her glorious assumption into haven today and all nation called her blessed, whoever is not comfortable with dat, should ignore my post.
pls oh no offence, where in d bible is it written dat mary was bodily assumed into heaven?? Last i checked, aside Jesus Christ, d two people dat were assumed into heaven were only elijah and enoch..and the bible explained dis with details. No where is it written in the Holy bible dat mary underwent a glorious assumption.
If u can't prove dis, pls quickly flee from dat church..dey're only feeding u with lies and facts dat contradict d holy bible, no wonder they dint allow you to read d bible yourselves just as u claimed, so u followers won't know you've been lied to and deceived.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by PearlyJay(f): 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2012
My dear, d catholic church is not and will never b a Mary worshipping or an apostate church. It is beta toi ask questions frm those who know d truth than listen to d blasphemies being utterd by ignorant minds. D Catholic church is d same yestday, today and forever all over d world. We do not worship mary bt we honour her. We ask our mothers, fathers and pastors who are mere mortals to pray 4 us.so how come it is seen as odd if we catholics ask the Mother of God who is in heaven to pray 4 us. Follow d promptings of your spirit and do not allow any mortal prevent U frm following d truth. If u are in doubt approach any catholic priest and he will gladly clear your doubts and direct U. Once u are baptised U are born again. Verify frm a priest.follow your heart and may God bless U. Incidentally today is d solemnity if the Assumption of the Blessed virgin Mary. Happy feast day. Glory to Jesus, Honour to Mary.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 15, 2012
jchime:
just as frosbel said, God has no mother!
Wtf?!
The incarnation of Christ on earth meant dat Jesus was both fully man and both fully God. Mary was only d mother of Jesus as man(i.e when he was on earth), and not d mother of Jesus as God. Acc to the bible, John1vs1, in d beginning was d Word, and the Word was with God, and d Word was God. We all know dat Jesus is d Word here. This suggest dat Jesus had been since d beginning of existence. And this was long before mary was ever born. So how then can she be the MOTHER OF GOD?!!! Chei!

1 Like

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Bella3(f): 9:39pm On Aug 15, 2012
[quote author=DeAdvocate][/quote] hw does that concern you?
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Bella3(f): 9:40pm On Aug 15, 2012
[quote author=DeAdvocate][/quote] hw does that concern you ?
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 9:45pm On Aug 15, 2012
PearlyJay: My dear, d catholic church is not and will never b a Mary worshipping or an apostate church.

So how come you pray more times to Mary than to God when using your rosary.

Besides , why does the catholic church teach the heresy of the immaculate conception and ascension of Mary. Where is this in the bible ?

Or are you willing to regard the word of popes and priests with more seriousness than the word of GOD itself which is in the Bible.

D Catholic church is d same yestday, today and forever all over d world.

Once again your church is trying to usurp the position of Christ.

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." - Hebrews 13:8

We do not worship mary bt we honour her. We ask our mothers, fathers and pastors who are mere mortals to pray 4 us

Yes because they are alive.

so how come it is seen as odd if we catholics ask the Mother of God who is in heaven to pray 4 us.

God has no mother and Mary cannot pray for you , she died a few thousand years ago. We are warned not to consult with the dead.

Follow d promptings of your spirit and do not allow any mortal prevent U frm following d truth.

Which is why I left the catholic church after following the promptings of my spirit.

If u are in doubt approach any catholic priest and he will gladly clear your doubts and direct U.

So it is the priest that will cure your doubts, you do not think that the word of GOD contains the solution to your problems, right ?

Instead you go a Priest, a mere man like yourself , to explain the bible that God promised to teach you directly through the Holy Spirit.

No wonder , the Catholics frown on their members reading and interpreting the bible for themselves, they have too many skeletons in their cupboard.

Once u are baptised U are born again.

You are born again by the Spirit of God not through the catholic baptism.

Verify frm a priest.

Actually no, verify from God through your bible , not from a priest who for all we know maybe a pedophile.

Incidentally today is d solemnity if the Assumption of the Blessed virgin Mary.

Mary did not remain a virgin , she had other children.

Glory to Jesus, Honour to Mary.

Amen, Yes I will honour Mary.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Ogozirim: 1:00am On Aug 16, 2012
frosbel:

So how come you pray more times to Mary than to God when using your rosary.

Besides , why does the catholic church teach the heresy of the immaculate conception and ascension of Mary. Where is this in the bible ?

Or are you willing to regard the word of popes and priests with more seriousness than the word of GOD itself which is in the Bible.

You will agree that it is by these same words of Popes and priests that a number of ordinances not expressly written, or probably never indicated in the Bible, have become mainstream christian practices.

You may want to read up the origins of :

1. The Easter date which, though is not fixed, was established by the Council of Nicaea - yes, a catholic council.

2. The Trinity - established by the Council of Nicaea (catholic again)

2. The New testament of the bible - compiled by 4th Century theologians, eminent Christian teachers and great bishops including inputs from Saint Augustine(Bishop of Africa) and decree of Pope St. Damasus I, at the Council of Rome in 382, "The Decree of Damasus", in which he listed the canonical books of both the Old and New Testaments.

....the list goes on, and goes to show you that most conventional christian practices, accepted memorial dates and theologies emanated from this church you have so much fallen out with. I can tell you with confidence that insofar as you are a Christian but not Sabbatarian of JW, you rely on, use and live by so many enunciations that originated from the mouth of catholic bishops, like it or not. And quote me, these are not all written in the Bible. grin cheesy

frosbel:
Yes because they are alive.

Matt 22:32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?’God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
Of course death is not the end of our immortal souls, but eternal death (separation from God) is. I'm sure you'd agree that at least a few souls (redeemed by the blood of the lamb) have made heaven, including the one whom all generation shall call blessed (Luke 1:48)

frosbel:
God has no mother and Mary cannot pray for you , she died a few thousand years ago. We are warned not to consult with the dead.

Again, pls refer to Luke 1:43. If the mystery of the Trinity is anything to go by then dear Frosbel the Lord Jesus is one and the same God with the Father and in His wisdom God chose to come in flesh through a woman, calling her mother. Why should you (Frosbel) take Panadol on behalf of someone else, eh?

frosbel:
Instead you go a Priest, a mere man like yourself , to explain the bible that God promised to teach you directly through the Holy Spirit.

I'm sure even at work you seek council from subject matter experts and senior colleagues; God's injunction that the Spirit will teach you all things does not in any way preclude occasions of learning from spiritual advisors. Keep an open mind bro grin

Got to give it to you, you got me talking - with my fingers. smiley

2 Likes

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by PearlyJay(f): 1:09am On Aug 16, 2012
God bless U Ogozirim. Teach them
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by demoore1(m): 1:43am On Aug 16, 2012
I strictly dont believe that it does not matter where u worsip GOD. It is not all that call God Father are real. Some are perfoming miracles using juju. Dont be ashawo church my dear. Stay in catholic and remaun blessed.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by demoore1(m): 1:45am On Aug 16, 2012
anitank: I am a catholic and hope to remain so till death except of course I get married to a non-catholic man. I have even attended SHILOH once and was blessed by it. I believe God is everywhere and it doesn't matter where u worship Him. What matters most is what u do with The Word after hearing it.

I strictly dont believe that it does not matter where u worsip GOD. It is not all that call God Father are real. Some are perfoming miracles using juju. Dont be ashawo church my dear. Stay in catholic and remaun blessed.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by doctorbabs(m): 7:33am On Aug 16, 2012
Ptolomeus:
Each Pastor has its tactics and strategy to attract new contributors ... sorry ... I should say faithful ...
I know a pastor who makes the girls dress sensually church youth ... is a good way to capture. No doubt that the Pastor has promised his friends a committee (part of) the money he will raise you on the concept of tithing.
Each Pastor has a way of working.
. DISUNITY IN HIGHEST ORDER. I TOT U PEOPLE ARE WORSHIPING THE SAME JESUS ABI WHILE DISCRIMINATION? I THANK GOD AM A MUSLIM A UNIFORM DOCTRINE. SEARCH FOR TRUE GOD, IF UR OWN GOD HAS BEEN CRUCIFIED TRY ALLAH, THE CREATOR OF ALL CREATURES, ALPHA AND OMEGA,OMNIPOTENT AND OMNIPRESENT
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by psoto(f): 8:46am On Aug 16, 2012
doctorbabs: . DISUNITY IN HIGHEST ORDER. I TOT U PEOPLE ARE WORSHIPING THE SAME JESUS ABI WHILE DISCRIMINATION? I THANK GOD AM A MUSLIM A UNIFORM DOCTRINE. SEARCH FOR TRUE GOD, IF UR OWN GOD HAS BEEN CRUCIFIED TRY ALLAH, THE CREATOR OF ALL CREATURES, ALPHA AND OMEGA,OMNIPOTENT AND OMNIPRESENT
O Yes! ‎​♏v̶̲̥̅ Jesus was crucified, but the good news is that he tore the bars of death away and ROSE up, VICTORIOUSLY, GLORIOUSLY and TRIUMPHANTLY on the third day. As for the Litany you're giving, if I start with those of God, NL will not contain us.
NB: It was so that the SCRIPTURES may be FULFILLED, so that SALVATION might be brought τ̅☺ the world and τ̅☺ show God's GLORY that all those happened!
Any further questions
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Enigma(m): 9:30am On Aug 16, 2012
Ogozirim:

You will agree that it is by these same words of Popes and priests that a number of ordinances not expressly written, or probably never indicated in the Bible, have become mainstream christian practices.

You may want to read up the origins of :

1. The Easter date which, though is not fixed, was established by the Council of Nicaea - yes, a catholic council.

2. The Trinity - established by the Council of Nicaea (catholic again)

2. The New testament of the bible - compiled by 4th Century theologians, eminent Christian teachers and great bishops including inputs from Saint Augustine(Bishop of Africa) and decree of Pope St. Damasus I, at the Council of Rome in 382, "The Decree of Damasus", in which he listed the canonical books of both the Old and New Testaments.

....the list goes on, and goes to show you that most conventional christian practices, accepted memorial dates and theologies emanated from this church you have so much fallen out with. I can tell you with confidence that insofar as you are a Christian but not Sabbatarian of JW, you rely on, use and live by so many enunciations that originated from the mouth of catholic bishops, like it or not. And quote me, these are not all written in the Bible. grin cheesy

Matt 22:32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?’God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
Of course death is not the end of our immortal souls, but eternal death (separation from God) is. I'm sure you'd agree that at least a few souls (redeemed by the blood of the lamb) have made heaven, including the one whom all generation shall call blessed (Luke 1:48)

Again, pls refer to Luke 1:43. If the mystery of the Trinity is anything to go by then dear Frosbel the Lord Jesus is one and the same God with the Father and in His wisdom God chose to come in flesh through a woman, calling her mother. Why should you (Frosbel) take Panadol on behalf of someone else, eh?

I'm sure even at work you seek council from subject matter experts and senior colleagues; God's injunction that the Spirit will teach you all things does not in any way preclude occasions of learning from spiritual advisors. Keep an open mind bro grin

Got to give it to you, you got me talking - with my fingers. smiley

Unfortunately, some of the information in this post is misleading.

The first thing is that the present Roman Catholic Church (sometimes misleadingly called The Catholic Church) is simply claiming for itself some things which the entirety of The Christian Church did! And when Roman Catholics do this and pretend/claim to be the only true/church they open themselves up to the vehement criticisms that they receive from other Christians.

It was not the Roman Catholic Church that "compiled" the Bible; it was The Christian Church which can also be called the [b]c[/b]atholic Church (note small C) or the "Church catholic" or in more modern terms --- the universal church.

Even when the expression "Catholic" was made official in 380 by Theodosius through the Edict of Thessalonica, it did not refer only to the Roman Church but still to the universal Church ----- in so far as it subscribes to the doctrine of The Trinity. (Edit: note that even that 380 AD is obviously later than the Nicene Council of 385 325 AD)

I also reproduce in a following post something that I posted on another thread yesterday.

Edited
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Enigma(m): 9:33am On Aug 16, 2012
Previously posted here https://www.nairaland.com/1016132/catholic-position-dont-point/3#11813883

Read these below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church

The term "catholic" is derived from the Greek word καθολικός (katholikos) meaning "universal" and was first used to describe the Church in the early 2nd century.[17] The term katholikos is equivalent to καθόλου (katholou), a contraction of the phrase καθ' ὅλου (kath' holou) meaning "according to the whole".[18] "Catholic Church" (he katholike ekklesia) first appears in a letter of St Ignatius written in about 110.[19] In the "Catechetical Discourses" of St. Cyril of Jerusalem, "Catholic Church" is used to distinguish it from other groups that also call themselves the church.

This according to the same Ignatius who coined "the Catholic Church" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_opposition_to_the_doctrine_of_Papal_Primacy

For Ignatius each church under a bishop is complete – the original meaning of "catholic". For Ignatius the church is a world-wide unity of many communities. Each has at its center a bishop "who draws together the local community in the Eucharistic celebration."[13] This then is the unity of the church – each church united to its bishop -each of these churches united to each other. There is no evidence of him accepting a single supreme bishop-of-bishops as the bishops authority is localised to a particular church.

Note this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentarchy

In the Apostolic Age (largely the 1st century) the Christian Church comprised an indefinite number of local Churches that in the initial years looked to the first church at Jerusalem as its main centre and point of reference. But by the 4th century it had developed a system whereby the bishop of the capital of each civil province (the metropolitan bishop) normally held certain rights over the bishops of the other cities of the province (later called suffragan bishops).

Check where Christians were first called "catholics"
ETA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primacy_of_the_Bishop_of_Rome#Relationship_with_bishops_of_other_cities

Rome was not the only city that could claim a special role in Christ's Church. Jerusalem had the prestige of being the city of Christ's death and resurrection, and an important church council was held there in the 1st century. Antioch was the place where Jesus' followers were first called "Christians" {7} (as well as "Catholic"wink[48] and, with Alexandria, was an important early center of Christian thought.

Again, note this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Church

The term Christian Church as a proper noun refers to the whole Christian religious tradition through history. The term does not correctly refer to a particular "Christian church" (a "denomination" or building).

. . . .

In the New Testament, the term ἐκκλησία ("church" or "assembly"wink is used for local communities as well as in a universal sense to mean all believers.[2] Traditionally, only orthodox believers are considered part of the true church, but convictions of what is orthodox vary.

The four traditional "notes of the Christian Church" or descriptors of the church, first expressed in the Nicene Creed are unity, holiness, catholicity, and apostolicity.[

1. Do you still want to say there is no such thing as the c[/b]atholic Church (small C) i.e. the universal Church?

2. When the Bible was being "compiled" did the catholic Church (deliberate small C) or even the Catholic Church (capital C) consist of just the RCC?

3. Was the Bible "compiled" before or after the Chalcedon that is being trumpeted here?

4. How would you classify the Eastern Orthodox churches?

5. Did the Eastern Orthodox church/es play a role in the "compilation" of the Bible or not?

[b]6. Which See was first established: Jerusalem, Antioch or Rome?

cool
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 16, 2012
Enigma

This your christian church is your own creation.
If I may ask you who were the leaders of this christian church?

Are their beleifs about images,veneration of saints,and worship style any differant from the roman catholics?

When and how did this church come to an end?

If there are still in existence where can they be found?

Was St Augustine who presided over this church council that decided the books of the bible believe in the petrine supremacy
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 1:13pm On Aug 16, 2012
[/quote]The term Christian Church as a proper noun refers to the whole Christian religious tradition through history. The term does not correctly refer to a particular "Christian church" (a "denomination" or building).[quote]

This is the definition of the christian church which I got from wikipedia link.it is obvious you are trying to be mischievious even after I had replied you on the other thread.
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 1:33pm On Aug 16, 2012
Even other bishops in enigma's "christian church" recognised the primacy of the bishop of rome.

St Cyprian bishop of the church of carthage in his treatise "on the unity of the church wrote in the third century.
"
The Lord says to Peter: ‘I say to you,’ he says, ‘that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not overcome it. And to you I will give the keys of the kingdom of heaven; and whatever things you bind on earth shall be bound also in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth, they shall be loosed also in heaven’ [Matt. 16:18–19]). ... On him [Peter] he builds the Church, and to him he gives the command to feed the sheep [John 21:17], and although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet He founded a single chair [cathedra], and he established by his own authority a source and an intrinsic reason for that unity. Indeed, the others were also what Peter was [i.e., apostles], but a primacy is given to Peter, whereby it is made clear that there is but one Church and one chair. So too, all [the apostles] are shepherds, and the flock is shown to be one, fed by all the apostles in single-minded accord. If someone does not hold fast to this unity of Peter, can he imagine that he still holds the faith? If he [should] desert the chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, can he still be confident that he is in the Church?"
~Cyprian of Carthage [A.D. 251]
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
St Augustine was bishop of hippo in the late third and early fourth century.He was also one of the conveners of the church councils that decided the books of the bible.hear what he has to say about the church of rome and the primacy of st peter

For if the lineal succession of bishops is to be taken into account, with how much more certainty and benefit to the Church do we reckon back till we reach Peter himself, to whom, as bearing in a figure the whole Church, the Lord said: ‘Upon this rock will I build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it !’ The successor of Peter was Linus, and his successors in unbroken continuity were these: -- Clement, Anacletus, Evaristus, Alexander, Sixtus, Telesphorus, Iginus, Anicetus, Pius, Soter, Eleutherius, Victor, Zephirinus, Calixtus, Urbanus, Pontianus, Antherus, Fabianus, Cornelius, Lucius, Stephanus, Xystus, Dionysius, Felix, Eutychianus, Gaius, Marcellinus, Marcellus, Eusebius, Miltiades, Sylvester, Marcus, Julius, Liberius, Damasus, and Siricius, whose successor is the present Bishop Anastasius. In this order of succession no Donatist bishop is found. But, reversing the natural course of things, the Donatists sent to Rome from Africa an ordained bishop, who, putting himself at the head of a few Africans in the great metropolis, gave some notoriety to the name of ‘mountain men,’ or Cutzupits, by which they were known.”
To Generosus, E
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
St Augustine was bishop of hippo in the late third and early fourth century.He was also one of the conveners of the church councils that decided the books of the bible.hear what he has to say about the church of rome and the primacy of st peter

For if the lineal succession of bishops is to be taken into account, with how much more certainty and benefit to the Church do we reckon back till we reach Peter himself, to whom, as bearing in a figure the whole Church, the Lord said: ‘Upon this rock will I build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it !’ The successor of Peter was Linus, and his successors in unbroken continuity were these: -- Clement, Anacletus, Evaristus, Alexander, Sixtus, Telesphorus, Iginus, Anicetus, Pius, Soter, Eleutherius, Victor, Zephirinus, Calixtus, Urbanus, Pontianus, Antherus, Fabianus, Cornelius, Lucius, Stephanus, Xystus, Dionysius, Felix, Eutychianus, Gaius, Marcellinus, Marcellus, Eusebius, Miltiades, Sylvester, Marcus, Julius, Liberius, Damasus, and Siricius, whose successor is the present Bishop Anastasius. In this order of succession no Donatist bishop is found. But, reversing the natural course of things, the Donatists sent to Rome from Africa an ordained bishop, who, putting himself at the head of a few Africans in the great metropolis, gave some notoriety to the name of ‘mountain men,’ or Cutzupits, by which they were known.”
To Generosus, E
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 16, 2012
St Ireneaus was a second century bishop of lyons in france.he was a disciple of st polycarp who in turn was a disciple of john the apostle.

He wrote this in his treatise "adversus haeres" written in the second. Century

Irenaeus of Lyons (c. AD 175-189):

"Since, however, it would be very tedious, in such a volume as this, to reckon up the successions of all the Churches, we do put to confusion all those who, in whatever manner, whether by an evil self-pleasing, by vainglory, or by blindness and perverse opinion, assemble in unauthorized meetings; [we do this, I say,] by indicating
that tradition derived from the apostles, of the very great, the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul
; as also [by pointing out] the faith preached to men, which comes down to our time by means of the successions of the bishops. For
it is a matter of necessity that every Church should agree with this Church, on account of its preeminent authority – that is, the faithful everywhere
– inasmuch as the Apostolic Tradition has been preserved continuously by those who are everywhere.”
(Adversus Haereses 3:3:2)
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 16, 2012
St Ireneaus was a second century bishop of lyons in france.he was a disciple of st polycarp who in turn was a disciple of john the apostle.

"Since, however, it would be very tedious, in such a volume as this, to reckon up the successions of all the Churches, we do put to confusion all those who, in whatever manner, whether by an evil self-pleasing, by vainglory, or by blindness and perverse opinion, assemble in unauthorized meetings; [we do this, I say,] by indicating
that tradition derived from the apostles, of the very great, the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul
; as also [by pointing out] the faith preached to men, which comes down to our time by means of the successions of the bishops. For
it is a matter of necessity that every Church should agree with this Church, on account of its preeminent authority – that is, the faithful everywhere
– inasmuch as the Apostolic Tradition has been preserved continuously by those who are everywhere.”
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 2:10pm On Aug 16, 2012

Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
patatus (c. 367 A.D.):

"In the city of Rome the Episcopal chair was given first to Peter, the chair in which Peter sat, the same who was head — that is why he is also called Cephas [Rock] — of all the Apostles,

the one chair in which unity is maintained by all. Neither do the Apostles proceed individually on their own, and anyone who would presume to set up another chair in opposition to that single chair would, by that very fact, be a schismatic and a sinner....

Recall then the origins of your chair, those of you who wish to claim for yourselves the title of holy Church."

(Opatatus, The Schism of the Donatists, 2:2)
Re: My Friends Want Me To Become Catholic. Your Thoughts. by Nobody: 2:32pm On Aug 16, 2012

St. Ephraem the Syrian (ca. A.D. 350):

"Then Peter deservedly received the Vicariate of Christ over His people."

(Ephraem, Sermon de Martyrio. SS. App. Petri et Pauli)

[As if spoken by Jesus:] "Simon my follower, I have made you the foundation of My holy Church. I betimes called you Peter, because you will support all its buildings. You are the inspector of all who will build on earth a Church for Me. If they should wish to build what is false, you, the foundation, will condemn them.

You are the head of the fountain from which My teaching flows, you are the chief of My disciples. Through you I will give drink to all peoples. Yours is the life-giving sweetness which I dispense. I have chosen you to be, as it were, the first-born in My institution, and so that, as the heir, you may be the executor of all My treasures. I have given you the keys of My Kingdom. Behold, I have given you authority over all My treasures!

"To whom, O Lord, didst Thou entrust that most precious pledge of the heavenly keys? To Bar Jonas, the Prince of the Apostles, with whom, I implore Thee, may I share Thy bridal chamber...

Our Lord chose Simon Peter and appointed him chief of the Apostles, foundation of the holy Church and guardian of His establishment.

He appointed him head of the Apostles and commanded him to feed His flock and teach it laws for preserving the purity of its beliefs."

(Ephraem, Homilies, 4:1, 350 A.D.)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How I Was Deceived At Winners Chapel And Had A Heart Attack / Oogun Inu Rirun Ti Ki Ise Ogbe-inu To Daju / What Is God's View Of Smoking?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.