Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,035 members, 7,966,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 05 October 2024 at 01:25 AM

Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm (1168 Views)

Iranian Muslim Woman Becomes First Female To Win "Mathematics Nobel Prize" / Secrets Of A Muslim Woman / Why A Married Muslim Woman MUST Keep Her Father's Last Name? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Nobody: 9:43am On Aug 03, 2012
I was on youtube yesterday searching for videos on osiris vs Jesus Christ and i stumbled on a video by a muslim woman who is a journalist and was questioning the limitation placed on them by the saudi male. She stated something intriguing such as freedom of expression, freedom to understand and interprete the quran and not be based on rote memorization etc.
Take the time to watch it. Is it that the Saudi women have started expressing their opinion now? Is this woman still alive today for trying to challenge the established authorithy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7OYRknGgEc&feature=related
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Logicbwoy: 10:15am On Aug 03, 2012
hisblud: I was on youtube yesterday searching for videos on osiris vs Jesus Christ and i stumbled on a video by a muslim woman who is a journalist and was questioning the limitation placed on them by the saudi male. She stated something intriguing such as freedom of expression, freedom to understand and interprete the quran and not be based on rote memorization etc.
Take the time to watch it. Is it that the Saudi women have started expressing their opinion now? Is this woman still alive today for trying to challenge the established authorithy?

lol...the woman went hardcore on destroying sexist attitudes in that country.

Many people are fed up with the control of religion. Even in Iran, I saw a video where a guy was fed up with the rules of relationships and women. He was fed up that they cant party or walk and talk with girls on the road without fear of being arrested byb moral police.
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 03, 2012
Logicbwoy:

lol...the woman went hardcore on destroying sexist attitudes in that country.

Many people are fed up with the control of religion. Even in Iran, I saw a video where a guy was fed up with the rules of relationships and women. He was fed up that they cant party or walk and talk with girls on the road without fear of being arrested byb moral police.

can you give me a link to that video
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Logicbwoy: 1:57pm On Aug 03, 2012
hisblud:

can you give me a link to that video

Sorry, cant. It was almost a year ago that I saw the video. Not sure if I would be able to find it.
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 03, 2012
thanks anyway
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by LagosShia: 5:14pm On Aug 03, 2012
hisblud: I was on youtube yesterday searching for videos on osiris vs Jesus Christ and i stumbled on a video by a muslim woman who is a journalist and was questioning the limitation placed on them by the saudi male. She stated something intriguing such as freedom of expression, freedom to understand and interprete the quran and not be based on rote memorization etc.

the title of the thread is misleading.

what the woman in the video is saying is not challenging any islamic norm.it is challenging saudi norms based on wahhabi interpretations.i dont see why what the man is saying is "islamic norm" while what the woman is saying is "challenging islamic norm".islamophobia is a disease.and funny enough the woman is a proud muslim that islamophobes are trying to use to tarnish the image of Islam.

in all muslim countries (with wahhabi saudi arabia as exception),muslim women are allowed to drive,be tv presenters and wear hijab that does not cover their faces as the veil does.
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 04, 2012
LagosShia:

the title of the thread is misleading.

what the woman in the video is saying is not challenging any islamic norm.it is challenging saudi norms based on wahhabi interpretations.i dont see why what the man is saying is "islamic norm" while what the woman is saying is "challenging islamic norm".islamophobia is a disease.and funny enough the woman is a proud muslim that islamophobes are trying to use to tarnish the image of Islam.

in all muslim countries (with wahhabi saudi arabia as exception),muslim women are allowed to drive,be tv presenters and wear hijab that does not cover their faces as the veil does.
ok but are this not mandatory: memorization of quran, hijab which the woman was questioning and asked for individual interpretation against rote memorization and the freedom to show her face/hair against the hijab. Are the two option not islamic?
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by LagosShia: 2:41pm On Aug 04, 2012
hisblud: ok but are this not mandatory: memorization of quran, hijab which the woman was questioning and asked for individual interpretation against rote memorization and the freedom to show her face/hair against the hijab. Are the two option not islamic?

she was not talking against memorization.she was against blind memorization without observing the need for one to understand what he is memorizing.

the woman herself was wearing hijab.what the woman is talking about is against men who use the veil to imprison women by making it forbidden to use an ordinary hijab which reveals the face or for them to go on air and present news on tv.islamically,there is nothing wrong to wear just the hijab which reveals the face.the hijab the woman in the video is putting on is an islamic symbol as much as if not more than the veil is.however,there are women who choose on their own to wear the veil and that is their choice and they are free to since no one is enforcing it as the norm or only acceptable standard.
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 06, 2012
LagosShia:

she was not talking against memorization.she was against blind memorization without observing the need for one to understand what he is memorizing.

the woman herself was wearing hijab.what the woman is talking about is against men who use the veil to imprison women by making it forbidden to use an ordinary hijab which reveals the face or for them to go on air and present news on tv.islamically,there is nothing wrong to wear just the hijab which reveals the face.the hijab the woman in the video is putting on is an islamic symbol as much as if not more than the veil is.however,there are women who choose on their own to wear the veil and that is their choice and they are free to since no one is enforcing it as the norm or only acceptable standard.
ok i get the gist.
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by LagosShia: 10:59pm On Aug 06, 2012
hisblud: ok i get the gist.

Alhamdulillah.
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 07, 2012
LagosShia:

Alhamdulillah.

meaning what?
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by LagosShia: 12:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
hisblud:

meaning what?

i am giving gratitude to God.
Re: Muslim Woman Challenging Established Islamic Norm by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
LagosShia:

i am giving gratitude to God.
wink

(1) (Reply)

Signs Of Qiyama / Dawkins Surprised Fans And Critics When He Admitted He Had Not Read The Quran / Is Piggery Harram Or Halal In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.