Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,222 members, 7,943,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 01:23 PM

Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? (18751 Views)

UBA Security Collects Bribe At The ATM From Customer, Fight Ensues (Video) / How To Buy Airtime Directly From Your Bank Without Internet Or Using The Atm / Do You Help Strangers To Withdraw At The ATM? Read What Happened To A Corper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by naturalwaves: 4:11pm On Aug 05, 2012
oche_ejemb: Some of you are just here claiming expert on stuff you know nothing about.

When dealing with any kind of computer, you must be aware that errors that no one could have foreseen can happen.

The same way an ATM can overpay you, is the same way it can under pay (people have already given countless scenarios, easiest is when who ever loaded the machine has put in the wrong denomination).
Is it not better to count the money before you pocket it and leave the vicinity of the ATM.
And if you have been mispayed wont it make sense to see how your account balance has been affected?

Someone has already mentioned the PARTIAL DISPENSE option when resolving ATM issues. Do you know more than the very designers of these systems who admit that
this is a possible occurrence and have put in the measures to handle this kind of exception?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by yemmy19(m): 4:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
it does this so perfectly, it could never go wrong.
the only mistake an ATM could do, is debiting your account without paying
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.
Ogbeni,swear with ur miserable life if u hv neva once counted ur money @ d ATM or a shut-up place after withdrawing.I'm sure d maximum amount u hv ever withdrawed in ur liƒέ would b #2000 or less
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by naturalwaves: 4:13pm On Aug 05, 2012
I honestly wonder ow some persons behave like that.Even if he wanted to shed more light on d issue or educate,it is not by calling people illiterates.Well,I av done my own bit to give him a lil xplanation and link also.I just hope d ITK guy learns.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Noble4life(m): 4:21pm On Aug 05, 2012
Na wah o 4 dis mr litrate o! Anyway,me i dey count my money three times before i comot my atm card 2 avoid "the time wey"

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 05, 2012
from the comments seen so far, i can rightly conclude that your ATMachines (when short-paying, or otherwise) a customer is not an error.
It was actually intended to do so. You should actually check the corrupt ATM technician, supervisor and Bank manager
for physical manipulation. But i repeat, without human manipulation, the probability of an atm f!!cking up on it's own accord is less than 0.0000000001%
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ocheejemb: 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2012
pafestula:
Exactly d question I wanted to ask them all, even the money is dirty etc, re u going to beat d machine on that, pls lets stop showing public madeness with artificial human, if ATM short paid u b4, pls prove it here because I knw wat to ask u to uncovered yr lies, I do installed ATM, ISP dish, Satellite reciever etc, so lie here and let me get u,
ATM could debit u wrongly....YES
ATM could overpay u....YES my wife told me dis happened in Uk last week YES
ATM could cease yr card.....YES
ATM could reject yr card if broken...YES
ATM could reject yr card IF d magnetic chip is damaged or scratched...YES
ATM could reject yr card if u removed d transparent laminated cover on it...YES
ATM may keep yr card for more 30mins that is netwk problem....YES
ATM comprises of many device and electronics gadget inside it
1. Lens
2. Card reader
3. Infrared rays
4. Camera Lens/ video recorder
5 Mercury bulbs
6. Bin tray
7. ISP server
8. Memory device etc
So tell me the rest that dont knw!
mxxpunkxx!:

If at all you have banker brothers, then they must have gone through school, but the school never went through them.

If the circuit board is faulty, the calculator's power won't come on

@all
NL members are mostly cave-men. If there's a problem with the ATM dispensing incorrect cash (higher or lower), it's not from the physical machine.
The physical ATM works flawlessly. Tell ur presido, Goodluck, to improve your network performance. Most problems arises when the messages are being trasnmitted.
Most of the ppl blabbing dont even know how it works.
There's a super computer located in the machine that does send the atm number, and encrypted pin, to the relay server.
The relay server is located at the ATM'S provider building. If the atm is located inside a bank, then the relay server is located right there in the bank
that's why most people prefer to use atms inside the bank's building at their particular branch.
If it's a roadside ATM, then the relay server is probably located at INTERSWITCH office (or the manufacturer of VERVE cards) depends on the type of ATM card you're using.
From there, the message is transmitted to your banking for confirmation of account details and balance.
Then it goes back to the server (INTERSWITCH OR VERVE head office) and back to the CPU . . the machine inside the ATM compartment.
once there's a glitch in network along these path, en error often occurs, e.g. debit without pay, more cash, less cash etc.

I bet your brothers at the bank do not know this, rubbish.

Oga Experts that "do installed" everything..are you not seriously contradicting yourself here? You have mentioned several scenarios and points of failure for the ATM system including human error.
if any one of these components is faulty then the Machine will function in an undefined, unspecified manner. Any of which could lead to a partial dispense. The most simple scenario has already been explained many many many times on this thread. Wrong denominations loaded!!!

More complex scenarios? The lens or whatever sensor malfunctions and starts counting one note as two. Or some hacker has figured out a virus which bypasses the security system and makes the whole system behave in an erratic manner.

Software and Hardware systems are known to fail. Nothing on this earth surface is perfect. Any TRUE technologist knows this and wouldn't tell you NOT to cross check.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ocheejemb: 4:32pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
from the comments seen so far, i can rightly conclude that your ATMachines (when short-paying, or otherwise) a customer is not an error.
It was actually intended to do so. You should actually check the corrupt ATM technician, supervisor and Bank manager
for physical manipulation. But i repeat, without human manipulation, the probability of an atm f!!cking up on it's own accord is less than 0.0000000001%

You cannot rightly conclude anything my friend. Just admit you are an ITK that can't back the misinformation you are spewing up. When rain falls, an networks start misbehaving, and cash starts being misdispensed, its the corrupt Bank Manager that has invoked rainfall abi?

Which then begs the original question, WHY COUNT YOUR MONEY AT THE ATM?

Answer: Because shit happens!!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by OtunbaGm: 4:33pm On Aug 05, 2012
Basic:
If we all share your kind of mindset, we'll all check soft drinks for dirts after buying them before drinking them, we'll all request to see how neat Mr Biggs kitchens are before buying from them, we'll all check that each page of a brand new dictionary is intact before leaving the bookshop, in fact, when we receive a delivery report after sending a text message, we'll still call the recipients to confirm, when our car fuel meters indicate low fuel, we'll still dip a long tiny stick in the tank to confirm...
Stop thinking like the early man!

@Basic

I have few friends like dat. One of dem, u can give him anyting to eat or drink witout checking it in details like checking d expiry date on gala bought in go-slow!

Crazy peeps still exist.
Infact there is one crazy auditor in my office that refuse to marry a woman cos he demanded for receipt for the bride price he just handed over to his in-law. D man was like no receipt, he said they sud return his money and cancel the wedding!!!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Super1759: 4:34pm On Aug 05, 2012
When I was on IT in a bank.one evening we loaded all the machine to serve till morning,around 10pm.the security man called my oga that the 2 atms in front is out of cash.later we got to know that the atm was over paying and guys rushed home spreading the goodnews and that's how the atm had automatic queue and finished the money in 4hours. The mistake was the atm custodian loaded. 1000bills in 500 caset.

Moreover its wise to go through the money dispensed from atm to check counterfeit as well. I have been a victim,if you leave the bank and come back.you have no case.but if you report to the security immediately. You will be attended to

2 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by ocheejemb: 4:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
adefash:
you complain to the bank.of cause there can be mistake on the part of the custodian,loading 500 in 1000 tray.you have to complain to the bank.there are some errors whose cause can be established.u have to count your money even if u have to step aside for others to use the atm while u count it.i'm an atm engineer and i'm speaking as a professional.no system is perfect.

Don't you just love it when people who know what they are talking about speak!!! Thank you!!!!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Lordave: 4:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
methodman: Well...i do so often just to see if d machine fit overpay me...lol
ah ah? How you take know? Last week I go withdraw 10k, as the cash commot 4 d machine wetin I see na N10,070 o.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by logica(m): 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2012
Super1759: if you leave the bank and come back.you have no case.but if you report to the security immediately. You will be attended to
And what do you have to prove you didn't come to the bank premises with the fake bills already on you? You see, it's just a matter of chance. You can get your money back if you are lucky.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by God2man(m): 4:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
only illiterates do so . . if u really understand how an ATM works, then you would be wasting ur energy counting,
the machine has a sensor that pushes each bill into the dispatch tray, one bill at a time
another infra-red sensor scans each bill for thickness. this means if two bills are stuck together, it would not come out
rather it would pass into a reject bin. any bill that is badly torn is also passed into the reject bin
it does this so perfectly, it could never go wrong.
the only mistake an ATM could do, is debiting your account without paying
and it's not the machine's fault. it's caused by a timeout in network while transmitting banking messages from the machine to the relay server.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Super1759: 4:58pm On Aug 05, 2012
logica: And what do you have to prove you didn't come to the bank premises with the fake bills already on you? You see, it's just a matter of chance. You can get your money back if you are lucky.
if you have the fake note.walk into the bank and meet the person incharge.it will be changed.if the bank is closed.meet the security man and lay the complain.he wil defend you when you come.everything that happens in bank is recorded.so the evidence that you withdrew money is there.its no case bro
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by yamakuza: 5:06pm On Aug 05, 2012
Super1759: When I was on IT in a bank.one evening we loaded all the machine to serve till morning,around 10pm.the security man called my oga that the 2 atms in front is out of cash.later we got to know that the atm was over paying and guys rushed home spreading the goodnews and that's how the atm had automatic queue and finished the money in 4hours. The mistake was the atm custodian loaded. 1000bills in 500 caset.

Moreover its wise to go through the money dispensed from atm to check counterfeit as well. I have been a victim,if you leave the bank and come back.you have no case.but if you report to the security immediately. You will be attended to

who bears this loss?

NDIC, the bank or the custodian?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by elampiro(m): 5:12pm On Aug 05, 2012
The only way ATM can short pay or over pay is when the cashier loads the wrong denomination in the canister. It's a human error that goes back to affect the bank and can lead to the dismissal or sack of the bank's staff. But this is rear since the bank staff knows the implication. It's like shooting oneself.

1 Like

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by naturalwaves: 5:15pm On Aug 05, 2012
mxxpunkxx!:
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by naturalwaves: 5:20pm On Aug 05, 2012
Irrespective of what d cause is,a misappropriation is still a misappropriation.That is why a confirmation is needed always to ensure all is alright.I think u av a lil problem with simple English.

2 Likes

Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by lioncoolst(m): 5:42pm On Aug 05, 2012
angry
ebamma: just last week in the uk,an atm paid people double the amount the requested,if such mistakes can happen in a uk atm,how do you expect me to trust the nigerian atms
That is not possible here in Nigeria; the machines are not that generous. The machine will rather short pay you or even self destruct than over pay.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by smartusman: 5:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
afolabom:
How i go dey count money in front ATM.
Even if e no complete who u wan complain to?
u go enta d banking hall. Them go surely balance u up.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by logica(m): 5:47pm On Aug 05, 2012
Super1759: if you have the fake note.walk into the bank and meet the person incharge.it will be changed.if the bank is closed.meet the security man and lay the complain.he wil defend you when you come.everything that happens in bank is recorded.so the evidence that you withdrew money is there.its no case bro
OK, I will breakdown the simple logic for you. Somebody comes to the bank with let's say 2 fake 1000 bills. After withdrawing money from the ATM, he then swaps 2 of the bills with the fake bills. How can you prove this wasn't what you did?
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by tshoboy(m): 5:51pm On Aug 05, 2012
swaggerific: Sometimes some of the money gets stuck in the "dispenser"...as in the money will come out but a piece of it will be in the atm. And you can easily forget grabbing it. For me, I count my money ohhh...dont want to hear stories about my money after hustling all day and all night for
if u finish countin and its nt complete,wat wud u do
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by naturalwaves: 6:01pm On Aug 05, 2012
OtunbaGm:
@Basic

I have few friends like dat. One of dem, u can give him anyting to eat or drink witout checking it in details like checking d expiry date on gala bought in go-slow!

Crazy peeps still exist.
Infact there is one crazy auditor in my office that refuse to marry a woman cos he demanded for receipt for the bride price he just handed over to his in-law. D man was like no receipt, he said they sud return his money and cancel the wedding!!!
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by naturalwaves: 6:05pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ur Auditor friend is very funny but as for ur friend that checks everything into details,he is definitely doing the right thing.Don't tell me U do not check d expiry dates of products before consumption.Why are d dates there then?Ur friend is doing d right thing by checking.That is part of what differentiates an educated fellow from an illiterate.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Walexz02(m): 6:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
ebamma: na naija we dey no be europe,u never can tell wetin naija atm fit do.
Correct talk...
I do count my money,most especially if d service is bad...
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by olaniyio1(m): 6:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
ITbomb:
and it was done.
The silly topic made the front page

i wonder the kind of leaf you smoke uncle that makes you think anticlockwise.
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by lekzy007(m): 6:19pm On Aug 05, 2012
mygee33: For me de question is...even if its not complete, what do u think you can do.
I just don't count mine!!!

I do count too but i ask that question as well.....
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by olaniyio1(m): 6:28pm On Aug 05, 2012
dani1luv: It depends! We have different types of atm!

IGBO ATM - Would always wanna collect commission!

YORUBA ATM - You must kneel before the atm to thank it, else µ e no go dispense all

HAUSA ATM - Hausa's nor deh get atm card jor grin

So why won't I wanna count my cash? I dehcraze?! What if the atm I intend using is is igbo?? 10% commission for sure! grin

My two cents!!

lol
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by Ozonelayer1: 6:38pm On Aug 05, 2012
I go count b/c na naija way we day, dat mechine fit make mistake ohhh, 4 naija some pastors fit do u 419 toke mo of atm
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by bily(m): 6:40pm On Aug 05, 2012
ATM has short payed me, I walked into the bank and told a guy at the counter, he just gave me the balance, was actually surprised since I don't have an account with them.

so it's possible.
But I rarely count money at the ATM sha
Re: Counting Your Money At The ATM: Why? by sirwyte(m): 6:42pm On Aug 05, 2012
I dey count my moni o 4 ATM oooo, bt no b mk i sure say my moni dey cmplete bt 2 knw wthr d machine go pay me pass wetin i typ.
Bsyds sef, i no go fit rmbr d last tym i visitd d atm machine stand sef.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Are We In Famine Period In Nigeria? / Food Exportation: My Experience With NAFDAC / Reasons Tinuade Sanda Was Fired - Signal NG

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.