Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,778 members, 7,889,513 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 02:06 PM

Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists (11203 Views)

Lady Sara Forbes The Yoruba Slave Who Became Goddaughter To The Queen Of England / Queen Of England Honours Four Nigerians / Photo: Very Dirty Nigerian Police Post In Ijebu-ode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by nduchucks: 1:39am On Aug 05, 2012
Not sure where to post this. This is a remarkable find.

A team of British scientists may have rediscovered the centre of one of Africa's greatest kingdoms - and the possible burial place of the legendary Queen of Sheba.

Dr Patrick Darling: "The locals believe the legend - and that's what's important"
Hidden in the Nigerian rainforest, the earthworks at Eredo are just a few hour's drive from Lagos.

The team from Bournemouth University, working with archaeologist Dr Patrick Darling, have completed a preliminary survey of the wall and ditch measuring 70ft high in places and around 100 miles long.

While not approaching the complexity of a project like the pyramids in Egypt, the builders would have shifted an estimated 3.5 million cubic metres of earth during construction of the ramparts. shocked

This is one million cubic metres more than the amount of rock and earth used in the Great Pyramid at Giza.

The wall marks out what the believed boundary of the original Ijebu kingdom, ruled by the 'Awujale' spiritual leader.

Civil wars and the arrival of the British eventually broke the kingdom's centuries-old Lagos lagoon trade monopoly.
But the Awujale of the modern day town of Ijebu-Ode still holds a traditional position of responsibility.

Dr Darling, described the Eredo site as a breathtaking find with many of its remains relatively intact, though overgrown by the rainforest.

The Awujale: Link to Sheba?
"We are not linking what we found to a city, but to a vast kingdom boundary rampart," he told the BBC.

"The vertical sided ditches go around the area for 100 miles and it is more than 1,000 years old.

"That makes it the earliest proof of an kingdom founded in the African rainforest."

Love story

But more intriguing still is the suggested link to the Queen of Sheba, one of the world's oldest love stories.

According to the Old Testament, the Queen, ruler of Saba, sent a camel train of gold and ivory to King Solomon.

Solomon wooed and married the queen after she became overwhelmed by the splendour of his palace and their son began a dynasty of rulers in Ethiopia.

The Bible dates the queen's reign to the tenth century BC and modern scholars have speculated that a link between Judea and an ancient African queen led to the emergence of Judaism in Ethiopia.

In a tale closely linked to that in the Bible, the Koran describes the Queen as a sun worshipper based in the Arabian peninsula who was converted to Islam.

Arabian legend names the queen "Bilqis" and links her to the incense trade which was then a source of great regional power.

Bilikisu Sungbo

Lovers: Figures of legend...
But 500-year-old Portuguese documents hint at the power of an Ijebu kingdom and build the case for Sheba being on the other side of the continent.

Local people near to the Eredo monuments link the area to Bilikisu Sungbo, another name for Sheba, said Dr Darling.

Local tradition speaks of a great queen building a vast monument of remembrance and there is an annual pilgrimage to what is believed to be her grave.

The region's long history of gold and ivory trade and the cultural importance of eunuchs linked to royal households further support the Sheba link.

... and Hollywood film
"I don't want to overplay the Sheba theory, but it cannot be discounted," said Dr Darling.

"The local people believe it and that's what is important.

"Hundreds or thousands of pilgrims come to this area every year to honour what could be her grave, a magical shrine grove under tall trees.

"She's very much a real figure to local people. She is associated with the earlier figure of Bilikiso Sungbo, but I think the traditional figure was a powerful matriarch.

"The most cogent argument against it at the moment is the dating."

World heritage

The Pyramids: Could Nigeria find rival the great wonder?
Dr Darling, a member of the African Legacy educational organisation which is working with the Nigerian Government, said that Eredo could become Nigeria's first world heritage site, joining monuments like Stonehenge in the UK and the pyramids of Egypt.

He said Eredo had remained hidden to the outside world because of the lack of scientific and archaeological research in west Africa.

"What is exciting about this for me is that we are beginning to bring out the tremendous political and cultural achievements of black Africa," he said.

"But there is a lot more work that we can do in the region."

Source

Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Beaf: 2:00am On Aug 05, 2012
The imperialists should learn to ascribe black achievements to black people and cut out the Queen of Sheba bullshiit.
The walls were built by the progenetors of Ijebu people. Period. cool

Let every proud Ijebu daughter and son stand tall and claim their heritage before some crazy foreigner with anti-black beliefs rewrites your history.

Nuff said. cool

It is the same way they claimed that the Great Zimbabwe could only have been built by whites, just as they also claimed that the Ife and Benin bronzes must have been cast by white skinned Egyptians. Utter crap! angry

This is the Great Zimbabwe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Zimbabwe
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by koruji(m): 2:21am On Aug 05, 2012
@ndu_chucks
This news is not new. The story you posted is 23 years old (circa 1999).
It is your right to post it, but could have been labeled with the date to give readers context.

1 Like

Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Nobody: 4:49am On Aug 05, 2012
smh! Sad
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Nobody: 4:58am On Aug 05, 2012
Ijebu merchant/warrior in the house 'repping' for Epe!!! cool

Eweso, Ijebu nation!!! cool

3 Likes

Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by 175(m): 5:19am On Aug 05, 2012
Was she equally responsible for Ijebu garri? Cos dats wat matas most to d ordinary Nigerian on NL. Abi na lie?

1 Like

Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Nobody: 5:28am On Aug 05, 2012
Beaf: The imperialists should learn to ascribe black achievements to black people and cut out the Queen of Sheba bullshiit.

Let every proud Ijebu daughter and son stand tall and claim their heritage before some crazy foreigner with anti-black beliefs rewrites your history.

Nuff said. cool

It is the same way they claimed that the Great Zimbabwe could only have been built by whites, just as they also claimed that the Ife and Benin bronzes must have been cast by white skinned Egyptians. Utter crap! angry

According to what was written in the article, the guy didn't claim Queen Sheba was white - and if his theory is true, then it will going a long way in solving some of the mysteries in Bible... If she were from that region, then King Solomon is definitely black - and it will further help the Ijebu people trace their ancestry to the right place... And also help shed more light on Christianity...

Presently, the Ijebu people have two theories about their origins. The first one is the Ife origin, and how Obanta (the progenitor of the Ijebu race) migrated from Ile-ife to Ijebu Ode... And the second one is the Sudan (Nubia) theory, and how Ijebu people migrated from Nubia to Ijebu ode - before the Itsekiris separated from the Ijebus..

Calm down, bruv.. cool
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Nobody: 5:33am On Aug 05, 2012
lol
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Nobody: 5:42am On Aug 05, 2012
Where are you laughing?

Ijebu were/are great people - and we're great achievers!
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by antitpiah: 5:45am On Aug 05, 2012
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Nobody: 6:13am On Aug 05, 2012
^^^^I don't understand what the heck the guy was saying in that video - but I can pick up where he said; "Ijebus were spending money before the white man came." grin grin

I've got the Oriki on my ipod, and I listen to it like once a month.. cool
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by nduchucks: 9:10am On Aug 05, 2012
koruji: @ndu_chucks
This news is not new. The story you posted is 23 years old (circa 1999).
It is your right to post it, but could have been labeled with the date to give readers context.

This story is new to me and most NLers. Whether the achaeological discovery was made this year or 30 years ago is irrelevant. I did not know about this story, saw it on twitter today, and posted it. shi ke na. I don't know what contextual value would have been added if I had stated that I just saw the story on twitter but it was first published in 1999.

If you can add to the story in any meaningful way, we'd appreciate it.

Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by otokx(m): 11:39am On Aug 05, 2012
There is nothing we would not hear

1 Like

Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by ayobase(m): 4:46pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex: ^^^^I don't understand what the heck the guy was saying in that video - but I can pick up where he said; "Ijebus were spending money before the white man came." grin grin

Shymexxing Shymexx.....being proud of ur origin is one thing to reckon with.....when r u coming home?
Well, we shouldnt say Solomon is a black men yet!
With evidence of Ethiopians serving as priests at the temple in Jerusalem and Judaism in Ethiopia, Solomon impregnated Queen of Shebe (the time I cant say), but she went back to Ethiopia and gave birth there.
Dont THINK Solomon could be a black man!
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by ayobase(m): 4:49pm On Aug 05, 2012
otokx: There is nothing we would not hear

Discoveries at ur doorstep everytime.
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by babsjnr(m): 5:12pm On Aug 05, 2012
Proudly ijebu repz my roots 4 ever ijebu ode,odolewu and mojoda epe
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by T9ksy(m): 5:17pm On Aug 05, 2012
babsjnr: Proudly ijebu repz my roots 4 ever ijebu ode,odolewu and mojoda epe

+ 1
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Yeske2(m): 5:36pm On Aug 05, 2012
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Yeske2(m): 5:37pm On Aug 05, 2012
Ok we don hear.
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Yeske2(m): 5:39pm On Aug 05, 2012
shymmex: ^^^^I don't understand what the heck the guy was saying in that video - but I can pick up where he said; "Ijebus were spending money before the white man came." grin grin

You don't understand what he said, smh. When are you visiting home?
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by gidson12(m): 7:09pm On Aug 05, 2012
no be only queen of sheba........small time una go find moses bathroom slippers for ijebu ode......
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by koruji(m): 8:52pm On Aug 05, 2012
New to you agreed. It is certainly not new to NLers. I was happy to see the headline and thought this was an update on the same story from many years ago.

When the story opened with: "A team of British scientists may have rediscovered the centre of one of Africa's greatest kingdoms" it is relevant to know that this was from 23 years ago and not today.

As for adding to the story, that is exactly what I did - perhaps you don't see that, but I see it as germane information.

You simply overlooked the date of the article, and there is no issue with that. Mine was a friendly comment anyway.

ndu_chucks:
This story is new to me and most NLers. Whether the achaeological discovery was made this year or 30 years ago is irrelevant. I did not know about this story, saw it on twitter today, and posted it. shi ke na. I don't know what contextual value would have been added if I had stated that I just saw the story on twitter but it was first published in 1999.

If you can add to the story in any meaningful way, we'd appreciate it.
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by VoodooDoll(m): 8:56pm On Aug 05, 2012
Beaf: The imperialists should learn to ascribe black achievements to black people and cut out the Queen of Sheba bullshiit.

Nuff said. cool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Zimbabwe

Well said.
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Ndipe(m): 11:26pm On May 21, 2016
I was very surprised when I stumbled on the information claiming that the Queen of Sheba was from Ijebu Ode. Wao.
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Godstraight(m): 12:52am On May 22, 2016

According to what was written in the article, the guy didn't claim Queen Sheba was white - and if his theory is true, then it will going a long way in solving some of the mysteries in Bible... If she were from that region, then King Solomon is definitely black - and it will further help the Ijebu people trace their ancestry to the right place... And also help shed more light on Christianity...

Presently, the Ijebu people have two theories about their origins. The first one is the Ife origin, and how Obanta (the progenitor of the Ijebu race) migrated from Ile-ife to Ijebu Ode... And the second one is the Sudan (Nubia) theory, and how Ijebu people migrated from Nubia to Ijebu ode - before the Itsekiris separated from the Ijebus..

Calm down, bruv.. cool
Solomon was black look at songs of Solomon first chapter
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by ademusiwa5: 2:33am On May 22, 2016
[siz

Some of the bible story happened in Nigeria
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by blueAgent(m): 5:22pm On May 22, 2016

Calm down, bruv.. cool

I Lol......Dreamers
Re: Possible Burial Place Of The Queen Of Sheba Found In Ijebu - UK Archeologists by Ndipe(m): 1:28am On May 25, 2016
According to what I have read, the Queen of Sheba had a son for King Solomon named Menelik (look up the information) and Ethiopian Jews trace their ancestry through him. However, the article that I read about the Nigerian woman states that she was a childless widow. So, which one can possibly be true?

(1) (Reply)

Black People Will Soon Outnumbered Whites In America / Gov Obaseki Denies Providing Land For Herders In Edo State / Court Orders Ex-Minister To Account For ₦‎729 Billion Poverty Alleviation Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.