Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,056 members, 7,887,017 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 07:14 PM

Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! (33894 Views)

Throwback: Iheanacho Representing Imo In A Junior Tournament / Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by emsgray: 8:04am On Aug 07, 2012
[color=#770077][/color]good news! we need more of that.we need need more exportation of our youth to some of those countries.that could go a long way in reducing unemployment and terorisim in nigeria.since the government can't help its citizens, they should be allowed to go elsewhere to try their hands. crygood news! we need more of that.we need need more exportation of our youth to some of those countries.that could go a long way in reducing unemployment and terorisim in nigeria.since the government can't help its citizens, they should be allowed to go elsewhere to try their hands.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 8:17am On Aug 07, 2012
[quote author=Mr.chippychappy]Lawrence Okoye - Team GB men discus throw

There are lots of young men like him working for Ndimpiawa azu in onitsha.im glad he is living his dream.go to aba,you,ll see many more stronger and scarier than okoye.imagine someone like him in MEND outfit with a machine gun fighting for some emancipation rubbish...i hail everyone of them whos using their Gods given talent for whatever country they call home.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Jiah011(f): 8:50am On Aug 07, 2012
antitpiah:
Not quite true. Home is where your heart is, not necessarily where you are born. If you live in a place and pay your taxes you are a citizen. Your nationality is still defined by your ethnic group/heritage/affiliation. Ohuruogu, for instance is a Nigerian name. To claim otherwise for the sole purpose of making yourself feel better about who you really are is dishonesty. I do agree that people should be free to decide what country they want to represent. What Island. People should be free to act in their own interest, monetary or otherwise. That said, the fact still remains that you cant simply wake up and change who you are all of a sudden. No one exist in a vacuum. We all started from somewhere. And that place is HOME. Ohuruogu's home is not the UK. Her home is whereevre her parents call home. She is part of something bigger than her and she, like the rest of her cohort, cant just cut herself off from her origin or ethnicity.

They are not denying who they are by choosing to play for their home countries. Of course we all have a history and started from somewhere, but where you place your feet and choose to make your home is home. That is where your heart is. The athletes in question are comfortable enough representing the countries they are representing, which does not happen to be Nigeria. Olympic athletes are officially categorized by nationality, not heritage. Whichever country in which you are a citizen of and CHOOSE to represent is who you represent, heritage aside. By your argument, everyone in the world should play for their parents', grand-parents, and/or great-grand parents country, regardless of where they were born or choose to represent.

antitpiah: No one is claiming anything. We are just stating facts as we know them. Well, if Nigeria had nothing to do with forming them, then I guess they should return the discipline they got from their NIGERIAN parents. They should wipe off the millions of years of information imprinted on the NIGERIAN DNA they were freely bequeathed by their NIGERIAN parents; dont forget that they are only able to achieve this much in part because of the DNA shoulders of the ancestors they are standing on.

Not just Nigerian parents imbibe discipline into their children. This can be said of all the other Olympic athletes from all the other nations represented. Also there are coaches, teammates, educators, and other individuals that help build up one's achievements. Gifts and talents do have to be nurtured through hard work, so it's not DNA. What does DNA have to do with anything? We are not lab rats competing. We are human beings. Every human being has potential, no matter where they come from. DNA may help give you certain propensities to do certain things well, but please do not think that Nigerian DNA is superior to the world's. That's a funny statement. The same people will want to argue that certain tribes have better DNA than others. Typical Nigerian superiority complex! Your parents can help you up to a point in life, but sometimes you need more than they can give. And this is not a bad thing, rather this is growth and development.

antitpiah: There is corruption everywhere. If Americans ran to Russia because there is corruption in America, we wont have America as it is now. There is no miracle elsewhere, we all need to pitch in if we ever going to see a Nigeria of our dreams. It is easy to blame others. Change we come only when we start taking responsibilities for our actions, inaction and baseless criticisms

Of course there is corruption everywhere. But Nigeria's corruption is so bad that it stagnating the country and no one in leadership seems to care enough to do something about it. Who wants to pitch in? And then pitch in to do what? Everyone is just trying to see themselves and their close ones survive. I've tried personally in helping work toward fixing the health system. I've studied abroad and thought I would bring back what I learned to help Nigeria. But there were so many obstacles in finding ways to help. The story is too long to post in this thread! Even to get people to admit there was a problem was impossible. Nigeria is full of potential, but continues to remain in the dark ages because those in leadership really don't give a damn and this is a fact.

antitpiah: Some people have already suggested that the athletes competing for other countries are selling their souls. I agree to some extent, an Italian in NY is an Italian in Milan: It is true that home is what you decide to call home, but nationality is who you are, your ethnic group and the DNA haplotypes you possess. In the couple of years since we started (1952) competing at the Olympics, we've had some amazing experiences as a nation: heart-pounding encounters like Nojim Maiyegun's bronze medal at the 1964 games; incredible, world class individual performance by Chioma Ajunwa at the 1996 games; Exhilarating, out of this world soccer roller-coaster, from the Dream team, that we hoped would never end. We are currently in some ruts that is going to take our collective effort and imagination to get out of, a lot of hard work and patriotism is going to be needed in the years ahead if we ever going to live up to our potential. Still, as the saying goes, representing your father land is like pizza — even when it's bad as it is right now, it's pretty damn good. I am Nigerian first, and I plan to continue being Nigerian.

That's good for you. Be a proud Nigerian. But we are talking more than genetics here. We should root for Nigeria, but not get caught up in the delusion of grandeur. No one is selling their soul. Nigeria is not a god. Sometimes there needs to be tough love to say, "I love my country, but certain things need to change." And that change starts with the individual. I am a Nigerian by heritage as well, but I love where I was born and it has made me who I am today. I love my parents and their culture, but I have to be a citizen of the world, flexible and adaptable, to survive. When I travel to Nigeria, I know that it is the land of my origin, and I feel it in my bones. But at the end of the day, I am an outsider. Everyone wants to claim me and say, "don't forget where you came from" but the same people will be quick to hold me to a standard and will like to measure "how Nigerian" I am. I will never be "Nigerian enough" for them because I am a product of the country I was born. And this is fine.

I love who I am and the rich history of Nigeria, but I have a choice to represent who I want. I can't erase my heritage and will never try to. I can only represent it in the best manner, and whichever country gives me the best opportunity to reach my potential and help me be all I can be, I will represent that country to my heart's content. And this is not a question of genetics, DNA, or ancestry. It's like someone taking the time to build a house and someone else coming to take the credit and say it was his idea. This is silly. Where you finish may not be where you started. As I said before, let them be. These Athletes are Nigerian in ancestry, but they are Americans, British, Swedish, or whatever else by nationality. Let them be. Maybe if Nigeria shows real interest and is serious, they will attract such athletes. Better yet, indigenous Nigerians could be invested in and given the support to be world class athletes that they can be. Nigeria is not a hopeless case if there is hope. I rep my fatherland, motherland, and the land I was born.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by almaliki: 9:19am On Aug 07, 2012
Jiah011:

I agree 100%!!! I made a similar post somewhere. If one's parents emigrated from their country and their children are born in a new country, those children born in that new country are citizens and people of that new country by nationality. Their heritage is elsewhere, but where they are born and raised is their home. Nigeria had nothing to do directly in forming those athletes, so why do they feel obligated to claim them? With all the corruption, tribalism, bribery, materialism, lack of institutions, etc, how can great athletes, or even other people striving for greatness with real raw talent survive in Nigeria? Not that people are not successful in Nigeria, but it's hard to do it based on sole merit and hard work. If you have money and connections, it's a lot easier. It's always North vs South, East vs West, Politics, titles-- "Who you be" or "Do you know who I am?" Enemies of Progress. A nation that eats their young by refusing to invest in them to foster a brighter tomorrow. It takes a lot of dedication and investing in talent to refine it to greatness. At least these other countries have provided means to create world-class, Olympic athletes for it people, including those of Nigerian decent. You can't say that it's an issue of just being a developing Nation, because others nations in this category are being successful. Nigeria loves to boast about itself, but what is there really for us to boast about? A lot of talk, but nothing to show for it.

Let these athletes be. They are not obligated to represent Nigeria simply because of their surname. They are representing their respective homes. People of all countries travel and make new homes for themselves. Why should Nigeria be any different? It's hard enough representing a country like Nigeria that has such a negative reputation internationally. At least these young people are showing that not all Nigerians are bad, even if they are not directly competing under Nigeria's flag.

THANK YOU! Well said!! The hypocrisy of some foolishe Nigerians is more than appalling! Did anyone notice the comments of one of the hypocrites Mr.chippychappy, who still found a way to inject a tribal slant into this topic? Look at the comments he made on non-Ibo sounding names and Ibo names and it is as clear as day what he is hinting at. Foolishness like this is why Nigeria will remain a country to be embarrassed and disgraced because even Nigerians are prejudiced towards their fellow country man! How can people so divided win anything or become significant as a people? Impossible! The same Olympiad basketballers who people say bad things about did not get any benefit from Nigeria, they don't live in Nigeria, they don't work in Nigeria but still trained and spent themselves for YOU, yet anyone still had the mouth to say something bad about them? These people deserve nothing but praise!

Nigerian governments recently was embroiled in a scandal of $8.6 B, most of which was stolen by less than 200 individuals led by Odechukwu. That is over a N 1 Tr, yet no functional institutions, organization or sporting infrastructure. Where I live here, there are basketball courts, tennis lawns, skating rinks, football fields, etc for any body to go and sleep there practicing if he wants and come home at midnight if he chooses! These are not stadia, event centers, gym, or have any staff. Just you and your friends or team to knock yourself out! Did those places grown from the ground without any effort? And these places are walking distances to your house spread all across the city but Nigerian leaders will steal all the money meant for these things and pay 40 lapdogs from their tribes to keep defending their insanity yet you FOO.LS want to win a medal? God punish you (if he has the time)! My kids are going to be wearing non-Nigerian colors most likely, just like a lot of others here but Nigerian athletes in Nigeria who are potentially world class will lose because you have already won your gold medals in praise singing, 40 lapdogging, tribalism, empty chest beating, cassava breading, etc! Useless idio.ts abeg commot for road make I go cheer my other serious country!

@op.....God bless u my brother.....Thruth like rain don't give a damn on who it falls on....
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Theben(m): 9:36am On Aug 07, 2012
I see no reason why one should not represent the country that groomed his/her talent. It will even amount to being an ingrate if one fails to do so. Imagine me growing up in a country like the United state, and then opt to represent Nigeria that never supported my upkeep, that would not likely to support me should i get injured while representing them, country where i barely have people to call my friends, haba,it looks illogical na. Have you guys even forgotten that euro2012 had 3 Ghanaians that represented other countries? E.g
Balotelli- Italy
Boateng- Germany
Welbeck- England
Solomon Kalou was left out of his preferred Netherlands squad in 2006 world cup cos he could not speak dutch.
So what i believe is that, it will be folly for one to chose a more inferior option when presented with a better option.
Thanks
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by eboeboy: 9:48am On Aug 07, 2012
All of una don crase finish!!! So because dem dey rep Britain, america, canada now una dey make noise. What of d 2 naija boys wey dey represent Congo? Saheed Idowu and Saka Bakare??

Why person go wan rep Congo over naija? Ans me naa...Una go dey form say una know something but all na "me sef sabi" Bloody semi-literates!!!!!
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Theben(m): 10:00am On Aug 07, 2012
@ almaliki
You harsh o, haba, this is too much na
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Mrchippychappy(m): 10:06am On Aug 07, 2012
eboe boy: All of una don crase finish!!! So because dem dey rep Britain, america, canada now una dey make noise. What of d 2 naija boys wey dey represent Congo? Saheed Idowu and Saka Bakare??

Why person go wan rep Congo over naija? Ans me naa...Una go dey form say una know something but all na "me sef sabi" Bloody semi-literates!!!!!

Nigerians "repping" Congo ? Ha! na so e don bad reach grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by kutchs: 11:24am On Aug 07, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

Nigerians "repping" Congo ? Ha! na so e don bad reach grin
Have u ever considered the probability that those guys went to Sudan bc they couldnt make it into the Nigerian team? A certain Emmanuel Olisadebe comes to mind. Every athlete wants to go to the olympics but not every one can make it into the Nigerian team.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by mpmp: 11:44am On Aug 07, 2012
antitpiah:
Not quite true. Home is where your heart is, not necessarily where you are born.
why did you shoot yourself in the foot? If "home is where your heart is", definitely their hearts are not at your home(Nigeria), so leave them alone. Whats all the speech for. You are in no position to tell us where their heart is, coz your own heart is not where it should be, the way you are whining and crying about this issue.

Your nationality is still defined by your ethnic group/heritage/affiliation. Ohuruogu, for instance is a Nigerian name. To claim otherwise for the sole purpose of making yourself feel better about who you really are is dishonesty
What kind of jargon is this? Is Ohuruogu from your village? why are you nursing a sense of loss or guilt. What have you as a person or the governor of the state where Ohuruogu comes from done / contributed to Ohuruogu's success for you to feel that you/your state of origin or even Nigeria as a nation owns the name and the person bearing it?

Isnt Barrack Obama the President of the whole world, is he repping Kenya. Why are the Kenyans not crying and wailing over the loss of their son?

I do agree that people should be free to decide what country they want to represent. What Island. People should be free to act in their own interest, monetary or otherwise. That said, the fact still remains that you cant simply wake up and change who you are all of a sudden. No one exist in a vacuum. We all started from somewhere. And that place is HOME. Ohuruogu's home is not the UK. Her home is whereevre her parents call home. She is part of something bigger than her and she just, like the rest of her cohort, cant just cut herself off from her origin or ethnicity.
who told you that someone cant wake up and change who they are all of a sudden. The day America woke and up decided it was time for a black President, where were you? were you part of those carrying a placard shouting, No, No, No.

What is your problem with Christine or whatever Ohuruogu her name is. She better start watching her back coz a stalker is in town. Did she dump you or didnt even look at you twice. And who are you to decide that
Ohuruogu's home is not the UK.
even after she has told the whole world it is.

No one is claiming anything. We are just stating facts as we know them. Well if Nigeria had nothing to do with forming them, then I guess they should return the discipline they got from their NIGERIAN parents. They should wipe off the millions of years of information inprinted on the NIGERIAN DNA they were freely bequeathed by their NIGERIAN parents; dont forget that they are only able to achieve this much in part because of the DNA shoulders of the ancestors they are standing on.

if you are sure no one is claiming anything, then I ask you what has been your point all along, even coming to the conclusion that "Ohuruogu's home is not the UK". What is your problem as a person. See the doctor talking DNA.

Its people like you who should be deported out of the country, if you are already inside. Your mentality is ancient. DNA? duh. what concerns you with who their parents are. Is Jealousy worrying you as it worries so many Nigerians. So if they loose in the sports they are contesting in, does this mean the DNA of their ancestors is faulty.

There is corruption everywhere. If Americans ran to Russia because there is corruption in America, we wont have America as it is now. There is no miracle elsewhere, we all need to pitch in if we ever going to see a Nigeria of our dreams. It is easy to blame others. Change we come only when we start taking responsibilities for our actions, inaction and baseless criticisms

Yes there is corruption everywhere, but who told you that all these athelets ran away? Is that the way you think when you hear good news about a Nigerian excelling in his career abroad - you conclude he ran away? If a Nigerian child was born in America, does this mean the parents ran away. Is it your parents that should determine your citizenship or you as an adult who decides to reside in an environment and contribute meaningfully to it? Look around at all the Universities in the US and Europe and you find Nigerians there. Did they all run away?

Did the hundreds of thousands of foreigners in Nigeria run away from their countries? do you hate them all just because they have chosen Nigeria as home?

Some people have already suggested that the athletes competing for other countries are selling their souls. I agree to some extent, an Italian in NY is an Italian in Milan: It is true that home is what you decide to call home, but nationality is who you are, your ethnic group and the DNA haplotypes you possess. In the couple of years since we started (1952) competing at the Olympics, we've had some amazing experiences as a nation: heart-pounding encounters like Nojim Maiyegun's bronze medal at the 1964 games; incredible, world class individual performance by Chioma Ajunwa at the 1996 games; Exhilarating, out of this world experience from the Dream team, that we hoped would never end. We are currently in some ruts that is going to take our collective effort and imagination to get out of, a lot of hard work and patriotism is going to be needed in the years ahead if we ever going to live up to our potential. Still, as the saying goes, representing your father land is like pizza — even when it's bad as it is right now, it's pretty damn good. I am Nigerian first, and I plan on continue being Nigerian.

Unfortunately you believe you can indeed sell your soul. How can you sell something you havent seen before? how can you sell something you dont own. Yes, an Italian is an Italian in New York and still an Italian in Milan. Is Mario Balotelli an Italian? or are you part of those angry that hes a black Italian. Is goodluck Jonathan an English man coz that is definitely not a Nigerian name.

I think you should admire these nigerian athelets for even retaining their surnnames. What if they had changed it to Johnson, Washington, Newton and whatever. What would you do?

And please stop all these your DNA talk. Are you a medical doctor working in a bank? Its so saddening that one of Nigeria's leaders of tomorrow should be thinking as shallow as you are doing. DNA?

Have you tried to analyze the DNA of all our political leaders in Nigeria(past and present) who have deposited our financial futures in banks in America and Europe? Have you tried to theorize all the DNAs of the BH boys who kill and maim the innocent everyday? Have you studied the DNA of members of the National Assembly to discover why they are bent on running the nation down? Have you meditated on the DNA capabilities of all the armed robbers in Lagos alone?

If you are not happy for these athelets, then I'll advise you to go and sleep somewhere. All these your rants are quite emotional but very baseless. Jealousy is definitely in the picture coz you feel they owe you something.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 2:03pm On Aug 07, 2012
igbo2011: Look at Christine Ohuruogu and Lawrence Okoye they are of Nigerian ancestry. If Nigeria had more economic opportunities their parents would have stayed in Nigeria and they might have been able to play for the Nigerian Olympic team. We also need to INVEST in the sports industry and we can have more Olympians!!! We need more track and fields, well maintenance football pitches and more state of the art basketball courts. We can start a huge billion dollar sports industry.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nigerian-Economic-Development-Plan/278164788911610

Those both are representing Great Britain. Who else is representing other countries?
Economy opportunities or not there are many people from many well-to-do countries representing other nations. The truth is that it depends on where they are raised as citizens in most cases.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Aug 07, 2012
OlowoTee: SANYA Richard-Ross sounds familiar, too. She represents USA in 100metres heat.

I really wish to know more bout Gabby Douglas, that girl is SOMETHING else!!!!!! cheesy
She is Jamaican-American. Sanya is not a Nigerian name.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Oyedey4u(m): 3:04pm On Aug 07, 2012
I am glad this guys will fill fulfilled in their chosen career. soon we will make the GUINNESS book of record of a nation whose nationals has won the most olympic medals representing other countries.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by jamesyins(m): 3:42pm On Aug 07, 2012
NIGERIA IS A FAILED NATION, NO INVESTMENT IN SPORTS AND I DON'T BLAME ALL THIS PEOPLE REPRESENTING ANOTHER COUNTRY. THE ONLY INVESTMENT WE HAVE IN NIGERIA IS CORRUPTION
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by jpphilips(m): 4:15pm On Aug 07, 2012
~vicky~:
THIS IS TOO BAD

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
is that how they hate Nigeria

yea! Nepotism wouldn't have let them make the team anyways
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by jpphilips(m): 4:19pm On Aug 07, 2012
shymex:

If selling your soul for riches = lucky..

I guess they're lucky...

And you think you are doing well killing your destiny in naija lol

see! boko for your back oooooo!! person wey never sure weda boko no go blow am tomorrrow dey critisize persin wey dey Yankee.

now i understand why they said that "Brain is a gift"
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by ajf(m): 4:45pm On Aug 07, 2012
Jarus:
LMFAO @ block heads grin
Someone insulted you,your father,your mother and your entire family and you find that funny LMFAO @ YOU.....
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Akiika: 5:02pm On Aug 07, 2012
What has Nigeria offered them, other than poverty and neglect?
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 07, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

Hate ? HAHA if they stayed in Nigeria they probably wouldn't achieve a quarter of what they have achieved . This Country Kills dreams and aspirations.
true talk jare. Me self go comot nigeria.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 8:12pm On Aug 07, 2012
ferhyntorlah:

What! So a Nigerian can represent "Fiji" in the Pacific? Nigerians full everywhere.
nigerians are in every countries/islands on earth. Hmmm. Great country.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 8:18pm On Aug 07, 2012
shymex: I don't know but I can NEVER represent another country apart from ancestry..

And my kids will NEVER represent another country apart from my ancestry..

Hakeem Olajuwon played for America - but they still refer to him as a Nigerian.. So, he's more of a paid mercenary...

All the ones who represented the UK, are still black Africans when they fill employment forms tomorrow after the olympics - but I'm not here to critique anyone, each to their own..
so they should call them whites abi? They aint mj. Black is black, white is white, no matter where you go or what you do, ur colour is always there. Even if u go to live in the moon.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by nwapastor: 9:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
Mr.chippychappy:

Hate ? HAHA if they stayed in Nigeria they probably wouldn't achieve a quarter of what they have achieved . This Country Kills dreams and aspirations.
yeah with politics, IM n how much u can offer
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by lepasharon(f): 12:44am On Aug 08, 2012
The Olympics:the only time the UK appreciates black people.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Zahara78(f): 11:27am On Aug 08, 2012
I think its high time Nigeria invest in sport before them Qatar, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Dubai start buying her Athletes. Its such a shame for a country with such potential to be so unorganized and poorly managed and with no potential aspirations to build its youth into becoming the best in sport! Its not enough to just be a mere participant but what is important is to scoop some medals like other countries, ABI I LIE
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by justwise(m): 12:09pm On Aug 08, 2012
lepasharon: The Olympics:the only time the UK appreciates black people.

When does Nigeria appreciate his own people?
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by partner5: 3:04pm On Aug 08, 2012
None of these people hate Nigeria. Nigeria was never fair to them,i was at National stadium in 1992 during the Mobile track and field, a seondly school girl dusted Mary Onyeali and Marcy Nku. The secondly school girl was asked to face her education and stop thinking about going to 1992 Bercelona olympics. Go girl, i can see from your picture here that life is treating you good. Sory guys, i can't mention her name.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by badesco(m): 4:16pm On Aug 08, 2012
They will be more comfortable there than naija.
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by TOKUGAWA(m): 4:34pm On Aug 08, 2012
grin

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by enroute(m): 6:19pm On Aug 08, 2012
Most of you crucifying the athletes who represent other nations probably have Behind jobs on the island. You need to get close to someone in the sports industry (hope that is correct) to get a true picture of what truly goes on in there. Of course like every other ministry, corruption no let them see road, it is terrible. Athletes are not chosen on merit... its by connection. Imagine sending an unqualified athlete to represent your country in an international tournament, is it not madness? Where is the place of patriotism and honor?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 18, 2012
CyberG:

THANK YOU! Well said!! The hypocrisy of some foolishe Nigerians is more than appalling! Did anyone notice the comments of one of the hypocrites Mr.chippychappy, who still found a way to inject a tribal slant into this topic? Look at the comments he made on non-Ibo sounding names and Ibo names and it is as clear as day what he is hinting at. Foolishness like this is why Nigeria will remain a country to be embarrassed and disgraced because even Nigerians are prejudiced towards their fellow country man! How can people so divided win anything or become significant as a people? Impossible! The same Olympiad basketballers who people say bad things about did not get any benefit from Nigeria, they don't live in Nigeria, they don't work in Nigeria but still trained and spent themselves for YOU, yet anyone still had the mouth to say something bad about them? These people deserve nothing but praise!

Nigerian governments recently was embroiled in a scandal of $8.6 B, most of which was stolen by less than 200 individuals led by Odechukwu. That is over a N 1 Tr, yet no functional institutions, organization or sporting infrastructure. Where I live here, there are basketball courts, tennis lawns, skating rinks, football fields, etc for any body to go and sleep there practicing if he wants and come home at midnight if he chooses! These are not stadia, event centers, gym, or have any staff. Just you and your friends or team to knock yourself out! Did those places grown from the ground without any effort? And these places are walking distances to your house spread all across the city but Nigerian leaders will steal all the money meant for these things and pay 40 lapdogs from their tribes to keep defending their insanity yet you FOO.LS want to win a medal? God punish you (if he has the time)! My kids are going to be wearing non-Nigerian colors most likely, just like a lot of others here but Nigerian athletes in Nigeria who are potentially world class will lose because you have already won your gold medals in praise singing, 40 lapdogging, tribalism, empty chest beating, cassava breading, etc! [size=14pt]Useless idio.ts abeg commot for road make I go cheer my other serious country! [/size]
Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by uzolexis(f): 12:35pm On Jul 23, 2016
shymex:

If selling your soul for riches = lucky..

I guess they're lucky...

Selling which yeye soul, see the athletes that stayed to represent Nigeria begging for funds all over social media cos Nigerian govt has refused to sponsor them.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Representing Other Countries In The Olympics!! by justwise(m): 12:58pm On Jul 23, 2016
uzolexis:

Selling which yeye soul, see the athletes that stayed to represent Nigeria begging for funds all over social media cos Nigerian govt has refused to sponsor them.

Exactly! And they will be carrying Nigerian flag? You will see endless list of 'officials' who will accompany the athletes, these people will receive travel allowances while the athletes have to pay their way.

Don't mind some people here who are condemning them, they will do exactly the same if given the opportunity.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Alex Ferguson Blocks Man Utd From Sacking Solskjaer After Liverpool Defeat / Tinubu At 70: Ex-Super Eagles Players To Honour Him With A Novelty Match / What's happening to Spanish football?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.