Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,560 members, 7,888,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 03:26 PM

It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance (1393 Views)

Madukar Orji Harassed At MMIA By DSS - Man Alleges / Fayose To Buhari: I Can’t Be Intimidated By One Million Armed Men Of DSS / Nyesom Wike: I Can Never Be Intimidated! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by asha80(m): 9:01pm On Aug 07, 2012
It’s only in Anambra we’re harassed, intimidated-Arewa Renaissance
LAST_UPDATED2 Monday, 06 August 2012 18:08 Tuesday, 07 August 2012 00:00
Written by Cyprian Ebele
E-mail Print PDF

•Farouk

•Farouk
These are certainly not the best of times for Northern indigenes, residing in Anambra State, under the aegis of Arewa Renaissance. The northern traders are unhappy with the state’s government plans to eject them from the bridge head in the state, where they used to sell and make their livelihood. They have described this plan as unfair, inhuman and straining their relationship with Igbos in the State.

According to their Chairman, Habib Mohammed Farouk, “We are asking His Excellency, Governor Peter Obi to be lenient with us. Let him do to us like other Igbo States do to our brothers.”
Farouk said he wanted Obi to see Hausas in Anabra as his own brothers. “We are Nigerians too, we didn’t just come to Anabram. My father was born here! My father migrated to this place, there are many of us that their great-grand-fathers migrated also to this land. I am married to an Igbo woman. I am in my place, many of us are married to Igbo women,” said Farouk.
He added that he did not see why he and his fellow Hausas should be harassed just because they happened to come from the northern parts of the country.
He repeated: “ I have lived all my life here. I still believe this place is Nigeria. Go to Niger State, that is where Zik was born, in Zungera. Ojukwu was born in Zungeru. Igbos are indigenes there. Their Children enjoy scholarship in schools. All enjoy the privileges, whether they be Igbo or Yoruba! That is where I come from. No sectarianism.
“This issue had been discussed between his Excellency, the Governor of the State and His Eminence, the Sultan, when Sultan came here to intervene on this issue. The Governor promised the Sultan that he was going to relocate us to a proper place.
The Governor also promised him that he would build the place for us and the Sultan had replied, ‘when you build that place, call me and I will then talk to my people and we will relocate them.’”
Since that supposedly fruitful deliberation between the Governor and the Sultan, the traders had lived in hope, waiting for the new place to completed and for them to move.
But that hope had become a stillborn, since the Anambra State government appeared ready and set to renege on its promises.
In Farouk words:“Since then, nothing had been done, rather, we’ve been getting these incessant harassments, pressure and intimidation from Government agents and even from miscreants.
“We’ve been very consistence. If they want us to leave here, if they want to make use of this place, they should relocate us to a proper place as it is done elsewhere.
“When Kano State Government wanted to relocate the Igbo transporters in Kano, who were parking on the streets, causing obstruction, he built a big parking lot for them, where they are now parking today.
“At a time the Government said that it will relocate us to Umunya but we told Government that the place was not proper for human habitation.
“His Eminence was properly informed that the place is a land in dispute among Umunya, Ogbunike and Nkwelle-Ezunaka. That was the place they had earlier wanted to put us,. The Sultan said no, that they should not put his people in such an unsettled place. The Sultan insisted that they should relocate us to a place that is peace, settled and not under dispute. A place where we can develop. A place that has water and where we can have our mosque.
“State Government should see us as one and part of them because the history of Northerners in Anambra State dates back to 1803.”

http://www.compassnewspaper.org/index.php/category-table/6386
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:49pm On Aug 07, 2012
Hehehehe grin grin

When all else fails, resort to emotional blackmail......it just might do the trick.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by asha80(m): 9:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
it seems they really love that 'healthy' enviroment.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by PROUDIGBO(m): 9:57pm On Aug 07, 2012
Having said that, if these are people that have settled in Anambra for generations, and -like any respectable citizen- have documents and other proof to show their status (like tax receipts, landed property, children enrolled in local schools, etc), then they should be accorded the rights, priviledges and respect shown to any other Anambran.

Shikena!
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by Malawian(m): 11:05pm On Aug 07, 2012
First of all, since when does the sultan decide what happens in anambra state? Secondly, who told him his father was born there and that he is married to an igbo woman? And thirdly, since the northern traders are very many in number in onitsha, cant they levy themselves and buy land there and build their shops? Must they continue to wait for handouts? Agughi akwukwo a ajoka kwanu !!!
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by Freewilly(f): 12:05am On Aug 08, 2012
See aboki fighing for land in onitsha,what is this world coming to.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by Obiagu1(m): 12:15am On Aug 08, 2012
A beg, they should buy land like every Igboman does. No handouts please!
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by Murphy7h4: 1:15am On Aug 08, 2012
Good point
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by Onlytruth(m): 1:24am On Aug 08, 2012
Malawian: First of all, since when does the sultan decide what happens in anambra state? Secondly, who told him his father was born there and that he is married to an igbo woman? And thirdly, since the northern traders are very many in number in onitsha, cant they levy themselves and buy land there and build their shops? Must they continue to wait for handouts? Agughi akwukwo a ajoka kwanu !!!

Exactly my sentiments.

It is like the Igwe Kenneth Orizu III of Nnewi going to tell Kano state government what policy to implement concerning Nnewi/Igbo business men in Kano.
In the history of Nigeria, it has NEVER happened.
These people are indirectly colonizing us in Nigeria but most of us don't realize it yet.
How can Sultan of Sokoto tell Anambra state governor what policy to implement regarding Hausa business men in Anambra state.

Nnanne, I don't even think it is illiteracy that is responsible for such mindset. I think it is cultural/religious chauvinism. sad

I trust Anambra folks when it comes to things like these. cool
We take no prisoners.

Let Hausa traders buy land like everybody else. Anambra state is a TYPICAL Igbo state. We don't believe in handouts. Trying to single us out won't work. cool
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by Yeske2(m): 2:12am On Aug 08, 2012
Emotional blackmailing, they can't be serious. What are they taking our hospitality for?
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 6:10am On Aug 08, 2012
The same strategy all the time, these core-northerners didn't even know that all their lies/blackmailing doesn't work anymore.

firstly they said it's igbo,yoruba and hausa muslims that are protesting against anambra state gov,
Re: Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha(pic) - Politics (1) http://ngmix.net/lib/vendor/web/articles/7/6330.html

i said it here clearly there are no igbo muslims/yorubas involved in this nonsense,the malu peeps wan make their agitation a nation wide thing.
today truth has come out, they are doing their haus/fulani conquest and want igbos to be linient.

my cousin was a bus driver in kano when they relocate the transporters, "the igbo transporters pay for the place completely"

Tell the hausa/fulani that we igbos has no free food to ourselfs talk more of to malu.

other markets around was bought and developed by igbo traders in billions of naira. so how can they give you free
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 6:13am On Aug 08, 2012
•Farouk
These are certainly not the best of times for Northern indigenes, residing in Anambra State, under the aegis of Arewa Renaissance. The northern traders are unhappy with the state’s government plans to eject them from the bridge head in the state, where they used to sell and make their livelihood. They have described this plan as unfair, inhuman and straining their relationship with Igbos in the State.

the upper news is truth below below news is totaly false:
Plan To Demolish Mosque In Onitsha(pic) - Politics (1) http://ngmix.net/lib/vendor/web/articles/7/6330.html
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 6:34am On Aug 08, 2012
[quote[b]]My father was born here! My father migrated to this place, there are many of us that their great-grand-fathers migrated also to this land. I am married to an Igbo woman. I am in my place, many of us are married to Igbo women,” said Farouk[/b].
He added that he did not see why he and his fellow Hausas should be harassed just because they happened to come from the northern parts of the country.
He repeated: “ I have lived all my life here.
I still believe this place is Nigeria. Go to Niger State, that is where Zik was born, in Zungera. Ojukwu was born in Zungeru. Igbos are indigenes there. Their Children enjoy scholarship in schools. All enjoy the privileges, whether they be Igbo or Yoruba! That is where I come from. No sectarianism.[/quote]

about the bolded:
1) your father were never born nor are you born in the east. it's complete lie from hausa/fulani's to any of their host
this series of lies makes people sick about you guys. if your dad is born in anambra he would have bought a land of his own
if you are born here too you must have own a landed property. but gez wat he own nothing in anambra a sign he is lying.

2) i was born brought up in onitsha, we caught one hausa man that kidnapped a youg girl of 21yrs,they keep her in their domain
for 5yrs and the girl has 3 kids for him already before the info reach our youngmen and we raided their behold its true.
we rescue our sister and the kids, it was done at nightfall, the man was history.
so make sure u are not kidnapin igbo ladies , time has come when we go there and see if ther's any at all and to know the family of the ladies,
lastly it is rear to find any igbo woman married to hausa/fulani in igbo land.

qoute:
3) you are not sacred cows ok, in north you have shariah and you have culture and lands. you never give free land to other nigerians
why are you looking for free land else where. the culture of the igbos is "work for whatever you need before you earn it" no free food.

note:
that is where Zik was born, in Zungera. Ojukwu was born in Zungeru. Igbos are indigenes there. Their Children enjoy scholarship in schools. All enjoy the privileges, whether they be Igbo or Yoruba! That is where I come from. No sectarianism.

4)Ojukwu and zik's family has landed property and house their in niger state they bought and develope by themself not obtained freely
so what is your point. just throwing words any how here and there without reasonable points. you case and ziks are not same
they bought and build and you seek for free and ask sultan to help out. God knows if peter obi does it we throw him out.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 6:42am On Aug 08, 2012
note:
The Governor also promised him that he would build the place for us and the Sultan had replied, ‘when you build that place, call me and I will then talk to my people and we will relocate them.’”
Since that supposedly fruitful deliberation between the Governor and the Sultan, the traders had lived in hope, waiting for the new place to completed and for them to move.

Peter obi cannot dear that nonsense, many anambarians are suffering and been killed in the north for no just course and you want anambara government
to build and develope residential area for you. mehn this guys are scrumbs.

even the sultan himself have the same mentality of free food. he couldn't even ask his slaves to buy a land and develope instead he is asking
for a free property. you see why we ask out of this nonsense called nigeria. a man in the position of sultan still stock in beging and hoping
for free gifts. infact today i comfirm finaly that core-north are mentaly backward and slaves.

1 Like

Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 6:44am On Aug 08, 2012
If they want us to leave here, if they want to make use of this place, they should relocate us to a proper place as it is done elsewhere.
they ask you to move your ass from there and buy yourself another place as other nigeria does in kano and kastina.
just obey. move before it will be too late.
we need to beautify the entrance to eastern nigeria.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 6:50am On Aug 08, 2012
When Kano State Government wanted to relocate the Igbo transporters in Kano, who were parking on the streets, causing obstruction, he built a big parking lot for them, where they are now parking today.
complete lie, kano state show us another site and we bought it with our money.

in 2009 some kano elites also came there to ask igbos not to sell alcohol in that garage.
few months later they came and say that they should pack and go from that site it doesn't belong to us.

after some consultations even kano gov personels said we bought that said land from scamers.
but when we make it a legal issue they ask us to pay some more 10million naira which we later pay.
so what is free here tell me. you guys are even wicked.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 6:55am On Aug 08, 2012
“At a time the Government said that it will relocate us to Umunya but we told Government that the place was not proper for human habitation.
“His Eminence was properly informed that the place is a land in dispute among Umunya, Ogbunike and Nkwelle-Ezunaka.

the place in question is a peaciful place but the people their are no nonsense peeps.
if the hausas dear destroy their farms or commit any form of kidnaping of their ladies they will pay heavily.
that is what the malu's are avoiding cuz they don't trust their brothers sanity.

since you are the one telling anambarians which place is cool in their state, come and get another free land.
thanks to God that pete obi did not give you my maternal home for free cuz by now you would have hear wyii.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 6:59am On Aug 08, 2012
The Sultan insisted that they should relocate us to a place that is peace, settled and not under dispute. A place where we can develop. A place that has water and where we can have our mosque.

we give you a place in afikpo, did you develope it?
we give you a place in ugwuoba, did you develope it?
we give you a place in umuahia, did you develope it?
we give you a place in awka, did you develope it?
we give you a place in onitsha, did you develope it till now u are ask out?
ANS: " NO "
So how are you gona develope the new site if we gave u one.

these malu's cant even develope sokoto how much more eastern nigeria.
apart from politicians and white colars, 98% landed and housing properties in abuja are own by southerners.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 7:06am On Aug 08, 2012
“State Government should see us as one and part of them because the history of Northerners in Anambra State dates back to 1803.”
you see the malu peeps. throwing numbers any how.

speak about lagos they tell you they are there since 1600bc
about jos they say they are there since 1700bc
about benin they are before 1355bc
about makurdi they are ther before 1715ad
about onitsha they are there since 1803ad.

nonsense people with backward mentality. you are there without a simgle developement from you.
lets assum its true,from 1803 till 2012 you are in onitsha without a single input into the onitsha society, infact you need to be relocated
so that better investors should come in.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by 9javoice1(m): 7:08am On Aug 08, 2012
finaly when the igbos need a land in lagos, "they did not ask for free land they went bargain and bought trade fair"

so hausas learn and do the same.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by asha80(m): 8:08am On Aug 08, 2012
wow 9javoice did you grow up in the north?as for the sultan i guess he would be much more preoccupied with the boko haram issue that has entered sokoto than any other thing now.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by ektbear: 8:18am On Aug 08, 2012
Na wa for these people. Free, free, free.

How can you ask someone to give you anything of value for free? That is theft.
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by deshclones(m): 8:23am On Aug 08, 2012
ugwu people don dey get mind sha...obi should build mosque for them??in this osha??ada[b]obi[/b] that is even stingy to himself...abegi make the sultan mind himself..let him buy land for them and erect a mosque nah....what nonsense??Never been a fan of ada[b]obi[/b] but i support him on this....onitsha bridgehead is the gate way into the state....the amount of refuse and dirt on that stretch of road is appalling...he should do the needful and make the place clean....he should emulate uduaghan..the asaba stretch of that same road is overclean..with streetlights and well marked roads....those ugwu people should go jor....they are dirty and violent....they are messing up ma beloved state..
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by Lisa1: 9:05am On Aug 08, 2012
Well
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by abouzaid: 11:46am On Aug 08, 2012
These guys should go and buy land and build their markets as other traders are doing at onitsha. How can they expect the governor to buy land and build a market 4 them when he has not done it for the indigenes? Besides this their we have been here since 1803 argument is the basis of the current mayhem in plateau so they should not start it with us cos that will only lead to serious problems 4 them. The state government should also be assertive with them since they have resorted to cheap blackmail and street rioting to coerce the indigenes into submission. Besides i can authoritatively prove that most hausa ppl in onitsha are from the republics of niger and chad and should be deported on the prevailing security risk they portend
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by asha80(m): 12:59am On Aug 10, 2012
Obi not a tribalist –Govt
Our Reporter August 9, 2012 No Comments »

•Debunks Arewa Renaissance’s allegations

From GEOFFREY ANYANWU, Awka

Anambra State Government yesterday debunked a report in one of the national dailies alleging that it was harassing and intimidating northerners living or doing business in the state. A national daily (not Daily Sun) had on Tuesday quoted the Chairman of Arewa Renaissance, an umbrella body of northerners living in Anambra State, Habib Mohammed Farouk as saying that it was only in Anambra that they were being harassed and intimidated, painting the Governor, Mr. Peter Obi as a tribalist.

Farouk was also quoted as saying that the governor reneged in his promise to relocate them. But in a swift reaction, the government, through the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr. Mike Udah, described as wicked and misleading the statements credited to the Arewa Renaissance leader, insisting that the state had been and remained one of the most accommodating and hospitable to non-natives in the country. Udah, who spoke to Daily Sun on the issue yesterday said: “It is most surprising that people should make that kind of allegation and I’m happy that he even made reference to the visit of Sultan of Sokoto some time ago.

Yes, I remembered that there was a time, some years ago when the Sultan came to Anambra State at the executive chambers of the governor’s office and he told the audience that contrary to the views people have peddled, contrary to some of the ugly stories that he was told about Governor Peter Obi, that this was a man he knew decades before he made that visit and that the governor cannot hot a fly, I’m using his very words.”

Udah said when the governor and the Sultan visited the Bridge Head, the governor said he was not going to make things difficult for any person, “that if the project he intended to execute was going to impinge negatively on any people, including the Hausas he will make sure they are properly relocated. A parcel of land was offered at Umunya and contrary to this claim that land is not in dispute and if it is, no person has come around to tell the governor.”

The governor’s image maker further said he accompanied the governor on a visit to the Hausa community fortnight ago where Obi took out time to appeal to them and promised to personally join in relocating them. and easing whatever problem they would encounter on account of the project and wondered why anyone should paint the governor black ‘as if he is anti-Hausa,’ stressing that “this is not the correct description of this governor, I know him and the generality of the people around know him. He may not be an angel, but he is not a tribalist.

“That allegation, to say the least, is most surprising and it is not true. The governor of Anambra State is not one who harasses any person or group of persons. What is happening at the Bridge Head is an effort by the governor to open up the entrance to the state through Delta at the Bridge Head. The idea is to beautify the place so that somebody who is entering Anambra from Delta will also see a decent state, wide road and a state where people can ache out existence in relative comfort. “Before now, that area of the state was in a most disorganized state with rickety vehicles, with people trading on the side walks, with all manner of garbage lying there.

That is not definitely the kind of response any responsible and decent governor will want to characterize his state with. So the governor is opening up that place, widening the roads and it is not targeted at any person or group of persons, people who have been staying on sidewalks, people have dumped unnecessarily article on the roads cut across all manner of people.

The Igbos are involved, some Yorubas are involved and other citizens of this country in that area are involved. But the good thing is that this is something that the governor hopes and every right thinking person knows will help create a decent environment, will help ease traffic and will help give impression that we are a civilized people here.”

He, however, advised that rather than go to the press to make false allegations against the governor or government of Anambra State, the group should come to the governor if they were having problems relocating to the place given them by government.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/national/obi-not-a-tribalist-govt/
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by Murphy7h4: 1:40am On Aug 10, 2012
Great
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by chino24: 7:51am On Aug 10, 2012
On point, they should buy land like every other business operating in Anambra state
Re: It’s Only In Anambra We’re Harassed, Intimidated-arewa Renaissance by hardywaltz(m): 9:24am On Aug 10, 2012
Hausa/Fulani always looking for handouts.

(1) (Reply)

What Happened To Nigerian Troops In Mali? / Do The Needful Debatable Or Not / Stella Oduah's Case Dieing Gradually

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.