Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,528 members, 7,920,989 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 03:45 PM

Relocating To Texas - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating To Texas (17895 Views)

Sam Mbonu Survives Accident In Texas (Photos) / Relocating To Abuja From Lagos / Cheapest Flights To Texas From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating To Texas by Leripa(m): 8:09pm On Aug 15, 2012
@somorin#1: kudos to you for the good work you're doing on here. I read banking & finance. I want to ask how easy & convenient it can be to study management nurse? Thank you.
Re: Relocating To Texas by akaniman: 4:30am On Aug 16, 2012
@somorin,thanks for quick and inspiring response,God bless u broder.Actually im cosedering (dallas,texas,newyork and los angeles,califonia)Pls advice me based on dis 3 states.I also learnt dat califonia pays d highest 4 d nurses?Tks and do hv a bless day.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 6:15am On Aug 16, 2012
Loving the TX Unemployment rate.
Re: Relocating To Texas by rakumiii(m): 7:06am On Aug 16, 2012
akaniman: Hi somorin,Gud day to you and everyone.We are planning to relocate to US very soon,im tryn to knw d best state to stay.I hold M.sc in mech eng and my wife diploma in nursing,pls based on ur exprce in the US,which state and city can u ask me to live?Althogh i hv pple in d, new jersy/newyork and texas.We are coming as an immigrant.Tks 4 ur sincere and broderly advice.

Did you notice the post I had right above yours? It show statistics of 10 of the major cities in the US. Check it out and do a little bit of your research before making your decision. There is a reason flocks of people migrate to a city. Lots of folks are migrating from New York and California to Texas. More job oppurtunities, better standard of living, you will get a lot of house space for a lot less.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 16, 2012
Leripa: @somorin#1: kudos to you for the good work you're doing on here. I read banking & finance. I want to ask how easy & convenient it can be to study management nurse? Thank you.

In California it's super easy. There are many private universities here.

The ideal path is to get a job at a hospital and then use their tuition program to pay for it. My job has a standing $10,00 per year free tuition and additionally Nurses gets all sorts of other educational incentives up to $25,000

Electronic Medical Record is the big thing currently in the US, read up on that.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
akaniman: @somorin,thanks for quick and inspiring response,God bless u broder.Actually im cosedering (dallas,texas,newyork and los angeles,califonia)Pls advice me based on dis 3 states.I also learnt dat califonia pays d highest 4 d nurses?Tks and do hv a bless day.

I've never lived in New York and I'll never do (I'm at point in my life where I can get to choose where I want to live - well until Iyawo Ijebu get's here and adds her own prerequisite to the mix) so I cannot comment on that. I like commenting based on my own personal experiences (statistics, web snippets, etc are only part of the story - for example no one can fully explain 110 degrees in Texas until you experience it).

Dallas is actually okay as long as you go in there with your eyes open, all the fancy houses and buildings offers nothing to me personally, unless it's mine it ain't shiat - lol. You should put it on your list to do further research on, I was there for 4 years, not reading web articles but living, working, raising family, building houses, racing cars, etc I still have over 10 acres of land in Texas.

I recommend California because at the end of the day, most of those that move out of the state always returns (me included). For me you can live well if you cut your coat according to your size. I enjoy living in my 1,000 square feet California condo more than my 5,000 square feet Texas McMansion. You just cannot put a price on the year round good weather in California, lot's of jobs (my employer has over 7,500 job openings as of last Friday). Housing are at an all time low with fantastic interest rate (note to inventors in Nigeria - find a reputable USA investment company and buy houses in California).

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
rakumiii:

Did you notice the post I had right above yours? It show statistics of 10 of the major cities in the US. Check it out and do a little bit of your research before making your decision. There is a reason flocks of people migrate to a city. Lots of folks are migrating from New York and California to Texas. More job oppurtunities, better standard of living, you will get a lot of house space for a lot less.

Lot's of house space at 3% property tax, lot's of space with vaulted ceiling to cool and heat.
Re: Relocating To Texas by smile2012: 4:29pm On May 09, 2013
mikkyangel: Ojodollars, who tell u say because califonia economy is in debt u no go fit run things here?its hw u lay ur bed u lye on it.all u need to do is to b connect,try enter n9ja churches look for help..waitin concern agbero with overload.Abeg abeg, Califonia is d very place with lots of jobs..I have lived here 2months and d very 1st week I came here,I got a job..pls any n9ja guy(witout kpala)in desperate need of a job abeg holla me,my Boss needs morehands..But sha I don tire for all these mexicans ohh,dem just full everywhr and d sun dey burn person skin for here,wish I could carry aircondition to everywhere I dey go...................................

Hi bro, can u still assist? I am coming to US in few weeks en need any assistance.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 26, 2013
Somorin#1:
Moved from Ibadan to San Jose in 1986, moved to LOs ANgeles in 1988, moved to Dallas in 2006, moved back to Los Angeles in 2010.

I will NEVER EVER leave California EVER again. I will NEVER EVER live in Texas EVER again.

Texas is just a deplorable, horrible, dead place.

Pros:
Lots of hig htech companies, surprisingly
Relatively cheap houses
Outdoorsman heaven, lots of lake for fishing, hunting, etc
The castle doctrine - no retreat clause - I don't have to back down or escape from a perp and can just off him.
Concealed Weapons License - you just have to have a pulse to qualify for one
Closer to Nigeria, non stop flights and cheap - You'll be in Lagos from Houston in 11 hours.

Cons:
Snow/Dirty Ice
Insects
Hot
Humid
Closet racists/separatists
High property taxes
Toll roads
Limp vegetable products
Tex-Mex (sucks bad)
High HOA fees
pls check.ur inbox sir
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 2:10pm On Dec 26, 2013
rakumiii: Just saw this online.......... grin

Houston is known for many things: oil, NASA, urban sprawl and business-friendly policies. But the Texas city deserves to be known for something else: coolness.

The Bayou City may not be the first place you associate with being hip or trendy. But Houston has something many other major cities don’t: jobs. With the local economy humming through the recession, Houston enjoyed 2.6% job growth last year, and nearly 50,000 Americans flocked there in response — particularly young professionals. In fact, the median age of a Houston resident is a youthful 33.

The result? Over the past decade, the dreary corporate cityscape — pictured above — has been quietly transforming. Stylish housing developments have popped up downtown, restaurants have taken up residence in former factories and art galleries like the Station Museum have been inhabiting warehouses.

Combine that with a strong theater scene, world-class museums and a multicultural, zoning-free mashup of a streetscape and you have the recipe for the No. 1 spot on Forbes’ list of America’s Coolest Cities To Live.
Yahoo! Homes is publishing the top 10 here. You can find the rest of the top 20 at Forbes.com:

Behind the Numbers

“Cool” is defined by Merriam-Webster’s dictionary as “very good; fashionable.” Of course what, exactly, is good and fashionable is very much in the eye of the beholder. We sought to quantify it in terms of cities, ranking the 65 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Divisions (areas that include cities and their surrounding suburbs that are defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget) based on seven data points weighted evenly.

Sperling’s Best Places helped us calculate the number of entertainment options per capita in each metro area. We also ranked the cities based on other recreational opportunities, including the amount of green space, the cost and number of outdoor activities like golfing and skiing available, and the number of pro and college sports teams.

With the help of Sperling’s, we tallied restaurants and bars per capita, weeding out chain establishments – Applebee’s has less sizzle than a local chef’s bistro.

We also looked at each city’s cultural composition using Sperling’s Diversity Index. It measures the likelihood of meeting another person of a different race or ethnicity. Increased diversity tends to lead to a larger assortment of interesting shops, restaurants and events.

Using the most recent data from the U.S. Census Bureau, we factored in median age, favoring places with a large young adult population.

We ranked the cities based on net migration (the number of people who relocated there in 2011) and also on unemployment rates, since a city’s offerings are only as good as the amount of people who want and can to afford to enjoy them. (No one likes to hang out in an empty bar, right?) We culled this data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Moody’s Analytics.

Houston is joined in our top 20 by four other Lone Star metro areas: Dallas ranked fourth; San Antonio, 11th; Fort Worth, 13th; and Austin, 19th. They all boast strong economies, large young adult populations and relatively high levels of cultural diversity.

Second on our list is Washington, D.C. With federal spending strong, the nation’s capital sailed through the recession with low unemployment and an influx of newcomers. Many of those newcomers have, like Houston, been young adults. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, residents in their 20s and early 30s make up about a third of the metro area’s population – 23% more than in 2000.

Washington also scored high thanks to its melting pot of a population, a large selection of local eateries and watering holes, and a host of activities that range from Smithsonian museums to music concerts. Washington reportedly hosts more festivals and events than any other U.S. city, according to Destination DC.

Perhaps not surprisingly, many of America’s priciest cities also made the cut: Los Angeles ranked third, San Francisco came in ninth and New York took 10th. “Established places like New York … have a built-in cool crowd,” says Bert Sperling, founder of Sperling’s Best Places. “They are like adult playgrounds, and people go there for good food and interesting events.”

In general the cities on our list fall into one of two categories: established (typically wealthier) cities (like New York, Los Angeles, even D.C.) and up-and-coming places whose low costs of living and/or strong economies have been attracting artists and young adults who can’t afford to live in the former. Up-and-coming metro areas that made our list include D.C.’s neighbor to the north, Baltimore (No. 14), and New York’s neighbor to the southwest, Philadelphia (No. 15).

“Baltimore is in transition because it has been down and out for a long time but it’s beginning to come back because it’s affordable,” says Sperling. “[And] Philadelphia had been forgotten, but now it’s being referred to as the Sixth Borough.”

Methodology

We attempted to quantify 'coolness' for the 65 largest Metropolitan Statistical Areas and Metropolitan Divisions (areas that include cities and their surrounding suburbs as defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget) based on seven data points we weighted evenly. Sperling’s Best Places helped us calculate the number of entertainment options per capita with an Arts & Culture Index (100 is the best score); recreational opportunities, including the amount of green space, quality of outdoor activities available, and the number of pro and college sports teams (again, (100 is the best score); and number of restaurants and bars per capita, with a focus on local eateries. We also looked at each city’s cultural composition using Sperling’s Diversity Index (100 is the best). We included median age, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, favoring places with a large young adult population. Lastly, we looked at net migration for 2011 and unemployment rates, using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Moody’s Analytics. The following list is the 20 cities that ranked highest according to these criteria.

10. New York, NY
Metro Division: New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ
Arts & Culture Index: 100
Recreation Index: 100
Diversity Index: 79.6
Number of Local Eats: 26,040
Median Age: 37
Unemployment: 9.2%
2011 Net Migration: -11,900 people

9. San Francisco, CA
Metro Division: San Francisco-San Mateo-Redwood City, CA
Arts & Culture Index: 98
Recreation Index: 99
Diversity Index: 73.1
Number of Local Eats: 5,650
Median Age: 41
Unemployment: 7%
2011 Net Migration: 6,810 people

8. Orange County, CA
Metro Division: Santa Ana-Anaheim-Irvine, CA
Arts & Culture Index: 87
Recreation Index: 98
Diversity Index: 75.7
Number of Local Eats: 5,735
Median Age: 36
Unemployment: 7.5%
2011 Net Migration: 13,910 people

7. Boston, MA
Metro Division: Boston-Quincy, MA
Arts & Culture Index: 100
Diversity Index: 54.3
Number of Local Eats: 3,862
Median Age: 38
Unemployment: 5.3%
2011 Net Migration: 3,660 people

6. San Diego, CA
M.S.A.: San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
Arts & Culture Index: 92
Recreation Index: 96
Diversity Index: 74
Number of Local Eats: 6,111
Median Age: 35
Unemployment: 8.8%
2011 Net Migration: 10,850 people

5. Seattle, WA
M.S.A.: Seattle-Bellevue-Everett WA
Arts & Culture Index: 96
Diversity Index: 55.1
Number of Local Eats: 6,101
Median Age: 37
Unemployment: 7.1%
2011 Net Migration: 22,380 people

4. Dallas, TX
Metro Division: Dallas-Plano-Irving, TX
Arts & Culture Index: 95
Recreation Index: 86
Diversity Index: 73.7
Number of Local Eats: 7,689
Median Age: 33.5
Unemployment: 6.9%
2011 Net Migration: 45,870 people

3. Los Angeles, CA
Metro Division: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Glendale, CA
Arts & Culture Index: 99
Recreation Index: 100
Diversity Index: 82.5
Number of Local Eats: 19,921
Median Age: 35
Unemployment: 11.1%
2011 Net Migration: 10,050 people

2. Washington, D.C.
Metro Division: Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV
Arts & Culture Index: 99
Recreation Index: 93
Diversity Index: 70.9
Number of Local Eats: 6,149
Median Age: 36
Unemployment: 5.4%
2011 Net Migration: 34,260 people

1. Houston, TX
M.S.A.: Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
Arts & Culture Index: 91
Recreation Index: 94
Diversity Index: 77.1
Number of Local Eats: 11,196
Median Age: 33
Unemployment: 6.9%
2011 Net Migration: 49,820 people

See Nos. 11 through 20 of America's coolest cities at Forbes.com:

source - http://homes.yahoo.com/news/america-s-10-hippest-cities.html
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 26, 2013
Pipsland78:
pls check.ur inbox sir

I tried responding but NL bounced the email.
Re: Relocating To Texas by kunlebal(m): 6:15am On Dec 27, 2013
Somorin#1:

I tried responding but NL bounced the email.
Sir, am a graduate of accounting coming to Anaheim area of California for my MBA, how can u help me with issue of job cos I need it to be able to continue paying my tuition fee. I need a job along with my study, I have my F1 visa already n should be in California by first week in January by God grace
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
kunlebal:
Sir, am a graduate of accounting coming to Anaheim area of California for my MBA, how can u help me with issue of job cos I need it to be able to continue paying my tuition fee. I need a job along with my study, I have my F1 visa already n should be in California by first week in January by God grace

Welcome to sunny California in advance. Finally someone not moving to Texas or weak coast - lol.

My Wife and I are about 20 minutes from Anaheim.

As far as jobs I can educate you on job boards, employment agencies and such. My company also has a website.

Does your visa allow you to work?
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 27, 2013
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 9:41pm On Dec 27, 2013
Somorin#1:

Welcome to sunny California in advance. Finally someone not moving to Texas or weak coast - lol.

As far as jobs I can educate you on job boards, employment agencies and such. My company also has a website.

[b] Pls I'm seriously torn between Houston and LA because of your comments. I know you tend to prefer LA...because you have lived and have properties in both cities, no one has better knowledge of both cities than you. I would be too glad if you could shed some light on the following:

1) Do you really think LA has got more opportunities than Houston for a new migrant? Which of the two cities has got more jobs?

2) How expensive is LA? How much is a room in an average neighbourhood in LA compared to Houston?

3) How is the public transport system? How easy is it to get around the city if you dont have a car in LA as against Houston? I'm asking about the walkability score of both cities from your experience.

4) I know LA is the gang capital of the world so I expect crime rate to be really high, is LA more crime infested than Houston based on your personal experience?

5) What do you think of San Diego? What other parts of California would you advise someone like me to relocate to?

I've done my own research online but I really need the input of someone who has actually lived in both cities.

Thank you sir.
[/b]
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 11:54pm On Dec 27, 2013
Pipsland78:
[b] Pls I'm seriously torn between Houston and LA because of your comments. I know you tend to prefer LA...because you have lived and have properties in both cities, no one has better knowledge of both cities than you. I would be too glad if you could shed some light on the following:

1) Do you really think LA has got more opportunities than Houston for a new migrant? Which of the two cities has got more jobs?

2) How expensive is LA? How much is a room in an average neighbourhood in LA compared to Houston?

3) How is the public transport system? How easy is it to get around the city if you dont have a car in LA as against Houston? I'm asking about the walkability score of both cities from your experience.

4) I know LA is the gang capital of the world so I expect crime rate to be really high, is LA more crime infested than Houston based on your personal experience?

5) What do you think of San Diego? What other parts of California would you advise someone like me to relocate to?

I've done my own research online but I really need the input of someone who has actually lived in both cities.

Thank you sir.
[/b]

1) I really can't say specifically about Houston as I didn't live down there (only lived in Dallas suburb). But there are opportunities anywhere in the US (even Alaska) for someone willing to hit the pavement running, which you've impressed me that you can and will. There are jobs here in Los Angeles, California is not broke liek some woudl want you to believe, California is not expensive if you cut your coat according to your size. I can take you to some areas in Dallas that is more expensive than Beverly Hills. There are some areas in Ibadan that properties there cost more than in California per square foot. SO there are jobs in both places.

2) Like I explained above, LA or Dallas or Ikorodu or Ketu is as expensive as you want. SO in my area ( I researched for you), you can rent a studio apartment for $750 (now you can probably get a whole house in Houston for that much, but do you NEED a whole house?), you can get a roommate near colleges/university for $350 to $500 per month. That is sharing like a 3 bedroom apartment.

3) It depends on where you live. I live near Pasadena and we have a fantastic public transport system. Here's a good example for you. My Wife came in from Ibadan in October adn she has no trouble getting to her appointments in Los Angeles which is 50 miles away via bus and train. I can't speak for Houston but I would imagine they would have similar.

4) My personal experience: I have lived in California (both north and south) for going on 20 years and I have never encountered a gang issue. Don't be scared by the alarming news article, they are nothing but sensationalist journalism mostly. What do you want to read about, little old Lady that feeds her Cat nightly or a school bus that was shot up by some lone crazed gunman? The school bus story sells so thats what they print.

My Wife and I walk around our neighborhood until midnight sometimes. Something I wouldn't do in Ibadan, so it beehoves me to think of LA as gang infested.

I am not sure that we earn that gang capital of the world, brazil and certain south american countries have far more gang issues than LA.

5) San Diego is very nice, I have never lived there and it is a vacation destination for me. I would live in San Diego no problem. It's about a 30 minutes drive into Mexico.

One thing that I want to impress on you. We are very mobile here in the US. If school and job permits it you can move at anytime that you want. So if Houston is where you settled in at first you can always take weekend trips to other areas of the country and decide where to move to.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 10:30am On Dec 28, 2013
Somorin#1:

1) I really can't say specifically about Houston as I didn't live down there (only lived in Dallas suburb). But there are opportunities anywhere in the US (even Alaska) for someone willing to hit the pavement running, which you've impressed me that you can and will. There are jobs here in Los Angeles, California is not broke liek some woudl want you to believe, California is not expensive if you cut your coat according to your size. I can take you to some areas in Dallas that is more expensive than Beverly Hills. There are some areas in Ibadan that properties there cost more than in California per square foot. SO there are jobs in both places.

2) Like I explained above, LA or Dallas or Ikorodu or Ketu is as expensive as you want. SO in my area ( I researched for you), you can rent a studio apartment for $750 (now you can probably get a whole house in Houston for that much, but do you NEED a whole house?), you can get a roommate near colleges/university for $350 to $500 per month. That is sharing like a 3 bedroom apartment.

3) It depends on where you live. I live near Pasadena and we have a fantastic public transport system. Here's a good example for you. My Wife came in from Ibadan in October adn she has no trouble getting to her appointments in Los Angeles which is 50 miles away via bus and train. I can't speak for Houston but I would imagine they would have similar.

4) My personal experience: I have lived in California (both north and south) for going on 20 years and I have never encountered a gang issue. Don't be scared by the alarming news article, they are nothing but sensationalist journalism mostly. What do you want to read about, little old Lady that feeds her Cat nightly or a school bus that was shot up by some lone crazed gunman? The school bus story sells so thats what they print.

My Wife and I walk around our neighborhood until midnight sometimes. Something I wouldn't do in Ibadan, so it beehoves me to think of LA as gang infested.

I am not sure that we earn that gang capital of the world, brazil and certain south american countries have far more gang issues than LA.

5) San Diego is very nice, I have never lived there and it is a vacation destination for me. I would live in San Diego no problem. It's about a 30 minutes drive into Mexico.

One thing that I want to impress on you. We are very mobile here in the US. If school and job permits it you can move at anytime that you want. So if Houston is where you settled in at first you can always take weekend trips to other areas of the country and decide where to move to.
Thanks a lot, you've really been a great help. I've always known that what we read is hardly the reality on ground.

As you suggested though, I might first settle in Houston and later explore other parts of the US...

Thanks again, you are greatly appreciated.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 28, 2013
Re: Relocating To Texas by Originalsly: 12:25pm On Dec 29, 2013
@Somorin#1...thumbs up to you bro!...is a big difference getting info from the net than someone on ground...who spent some time in the trenches! I've never travelled to Texas....have someone there...but damn!..I don't want to broil nor freeze!! You give great insights bro!
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 30, 2013
Originalsly: @Somorin#1...thumbs up to you bro!...is a big difference getting info from the net than someone on ground...who spent some time in the trenches! I've never travelled to Texas....have someone there...but damn!..I don't want to broil nor freeze!! You give great insights bro!

You're all welcome.

Let me know if you folks have any other questions.
Re: Relocating To Texas by kunlebal(m): 7:41am On Dec 30, 2013
Somorin#1:

Thank you very much for your response, according to the information's that i have gather so far i can work with my F1 visa while schooling. A friend told me something like 20hours a week that is why i need somebody over there in california to help me out. So how can you help me sir, am presently in a friend house in Dallas, came in over the weekend but should be in California first week of January by God grace
Re: Relocating To Texas by kunlebal(m): 10:07pm On Dec 31, 2013
Somorin#1:

You're all welcome.

Let me know if you folks have any other questions.
Still waiting for your response sir.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 11:51pm On Dec 31, 2013
kunlebal:
Still waiting for your response sir.

Oh sorry.

So I don't have any direct job leads but I can send you weblinks to your email of known job sites and recruiters. Jobs are advertised here but you have to setup online profiles and upload your resume, etc
Re: Relocating To Texas by kunlebal(m): 12:03am On Jan 01, 2014
Somorin#1:

Oh sorry.

So I don't have any direct job leads but I can send you weblinks to your email of known job sites and recruiters. Jobs are advertised here but you have to setup online profiles and upload your resume, etc
Ok, you can forward it to kunlebal@yahoo.com and how can i set up online profile with SSN
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 02, 2014
[b]Hello good people, I'm a visa lottery winner and I have some questions that I would be glad to get answers to from those already in the US:

1) Can I use my Nigerian and/or an international driver's license in the US and for how long?

2) Can I get a house and a car while I pay instalmentally by making deductions from my monthly pay?

3) How easy is it to start a small business in the US? Is it easy to get a store and use it for business as it is done in Nigeria?

4) How do I get health insurance? How easy is this and am I qualified being a PR?

5) How easy is it to get a loan for business and for asset buying? What bank would you recommend as regards account opening?

6) If I should change my address after entering the US, will it affect my greencard and SSN arrival?

7) How do I apply for the SSN, national and state ID cards?

cool Is there an age limit for certain jobs like we have in Nigeria? In Nigeria, most banks dont employ people older than 25 years.

9) How do I improve my credit rating? What should I do and not do in order to improve my credit rating?

10) Is it advisable to marry an American? I'm a young man and a typical African man (you know what I mean), would you advise me to marry there in the US? Are there consequences that may come back to haunt me later in life? Cant a brother get a good girl who is respectful, cooks and have no plans of divorcing me later in the US? I want to believe not all their girls are messed up.

11) How much should I have on me while moving to the US considering how long it would take to get a job?

12) If I entered the US today as a DV lottery winner, how long would it take to get a job and settle down considering all the papers I would have to process?

13) Do I need to get a generic reference letter from my employer here in Nigeria before relocating to present to potential employers in the US?

I would be extremely grateful if those already in the US could provide answers to these questions.

Thank you and happy new year!
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
Pipsland78: [b]Hello good people, I'm a visa lottery winner and I have some questions that I would be glad to get answers to from those already in the US:

1) Can I use my Nigerian and/or an international driver's license in the US and for how long?

Perhaps but most insurance (requirement) will probably not accommodate you. Plan on getting licensed as a priority.

2) Can I get a house and a car while I pay installment by making deductions from my monthly pay?

Not directly from your monthly pay directly. But yes, the USA is a credit society. So you can get a car loan with monthly payments with zero down possible. You will also pay your apartment monthly with maybe a zero down or some deposit. All this is based on credit report. With your limited credit history expect to be asked for a cosigner.

3) How easy is it to start a small business in the US? Is it easy to get a store and use it for business as it is done in Nigeria?

Relatively easy but there are rules and regulations. Each city will have a specific department for business license, code and enforcement, business development, etc. SO expect to meet all the requirements.

4) How do I get health insurance? How easy is this and am I qualified being a PR?

With the new Obamacare I have no clue. I get my health insurance from my employer and most Americans would unless you own a small business.

5) How easy is it to get a loan for business and for asset buying? What bank would you recommend as regards account opening?

For a new comer, just open a Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Chase, these major banks have branches all over the place so you are able to easily find a bank or atm.

You won't be getting a loan with a non existent credit history without a cosigner who has A+ credit. Even then for a business loan you will need to have strong business plan. Not trying to dissuade you but just being realistic.

6) If I should change my address after entering the US, will it affect my greencard and SSN arrival?

Yes. You are required to inform USCIS of your address changes within a certain length of time, it's actually a biggie and could cause issues when it's time for citizenship so don't play with that. My recommendation is to get your Drivers License, SSN, GC before moving and then notifying all parties of your new address.

7) How do I apply for the SSN, national and state ID cards?

We have no national ID card. SSN should come to the address you listed on your immigration forms and if not then you can simply go into their office after a week or two. They will want to see your passport, etc. The same for ID card, take your passport with you to your local department of motor vehicle and they'll fix you up.

cool Is there an age limit for certain jobs like we have in Nigeria? In Nigeria, most banks dont employ people older than 25 years.

It's against the law in the US to discriminate on the basis of age, sex, ethnicity, religion, etc. It's happens but under the surface and mostly in smaller operations not at big companies which is where you want to work anyways.

9) How do I improve my credit rating? What should I do and not do in order to improve my credit rating?

Get a source of income and apply for Capital One Journey Credit card, it's specifically set up for new Americans, students, etc

10) Is it advisable to marry an American? I'm a young man and a typical African man (you know what I mean), would you advise me to marry there in the US? Are there consequences that may come to haunt me later in life?

Love is blind but I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to marry an American (a personal non arguable position). Develop a relationship with someone from your surrounding in Nigeria now and after fully vetting them bring that person after a few years when you are settled. That's all I've got to say on that.

11) How much should I have on me while moving to the US considering how long it would take to get a job?

This is a personal choice since no one will be sure of your monthly expense. At a minimum $1k per month. Figure out a mechanism to get money from your account in Nigeria. I can get money from my Skye Bank account in the USA using any ATM here.

12) If I entered the US today as a DV lottery winner, how long would it take to get a job and settle down considering all the papers I would have to process?

As a DV entrant you can actually start working right off the plane. You only need two things, well three things. 1) Green Card = you'll have a temporary stamp in your passport from immigration when you land, 2) SSN = you'll apply for it and they should give you a letter stating that you've applied for one, 3) a job with company that will entertain your temporary green card and your letter from SSN that you've applied for a card.

13) Do I need to get a generic reference letter from my employer here in Nigeria before relocating to present to potential employers in the US?

It won't hurt but not necessary. If from a renowned institution or employer then I guess it can be helpful.

I would be extremely grateful if those already in the US could provide answers to these questions.

Thank you and happy new year!

Have you considered joining the US military? Fast track to citizenship in 6 months, good pay considering you leave free and eat free, travel, etc The only issue is that you'll have to renounce your Nigerian citizenship.

[/b]
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 02, 2014
[quote author=Somorin#1][/quote]
You've been too helpful, cant thank you enough. I understand one cant join the military if one is above 25yrs or so. I'm in my mid thirties so itz kinda late to join the military.

And you said I could move my girl to US but can I do that as a PR? I believe I cant get her into the US till I become a citizen which would take 5yrs. Thing is I cant wait 5yrs ooo, me I wan settle down and start a family ooo. But cant a brother meet a good, respectful girl that cooks and wouldnt plan to divorce me later in the US? Is US really that messed up?

Wish I could meet with you someday...or on social media.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jan 02, 2014
Pipsland78:
You've been too helpful, cant thank you enough. I understand one cant join the military if one is above 25yrs or so. I'm in my mid thirties so itz kinda late to join the military.

And you said I could move my girl to US but can I do that as a PR? I believe I cant get her into the US till I become a citizen which would take 5yrs. Thing is I cant wait 5yrs ooo, me I wan settle down and start a family ooo. But cant a brother meet a good, respectful girl that cooks and wouldnt plan to divorce me later in the US? Is US really that messed up?

Wish I could meet with you someday...or on social media.

Like I said it's personal preference. I have lots of friends married to north American and other foreigners. My Two Ex Wives were both Americans and I am now married to a Yoruba Woman from home. I usually write from my own personal and associates experiences, not culled from Google or hearsay.

A 5 year wait for eternal happiness with someone on the same wavelength who will support you in a traditional way, to me, is far better than rushing into a marriage just to meet a status quo.

Use your 5 years to become a respected well grounded and financially ready citizen.

Start building your house and family back in Nigeria. Marry your Wife, have kids, send them money, build your Naija bank account, have Madam go into some sort of business that you both enjoy. Then when you become a citizen promote your application from Wife of PR to Wife of Citizen, get her a residency card but still maintain one leg at home.

We'll revisit this conversation 5 years from now.

PS: If you stay in Houston, United have deals non stop to Lagos for under $1k roundtrip. You'll be in Lagos in about 11 hours. Like going to work. The only one pro for me of Texas. That non stop flight that United offers.

3 Likes

Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 03, 2014
^^^ I must confess your post got me thinking deep about my plans. Right now I find myself on the fence. Truth is I'm not committed to anyone here in Nigeria cos I'm not the type to go into long-distance relationship due to its attendant troubles, but with your post you really got me thinking.

What small business would you recommend for me? I'm seriously interested in business. As a small business owner (sole proprietorship or two-man business) can I make up to $5,000 monthly?
Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2014
Pipsland78: ^^^ I must confess your post got me thinking deep about my plans. Right now I find myself on the fence. Truth is I'm not committed to anyone here in Nigeria cos I'm not the type to go into long-distance relationship due to its attendant troubles, but with your post you really got me thinking.

What small business would you recommend for me? I'm seriously interested in business. As a small business owner (sole proprietorship or two-man business) can I make up to $5,000 monthly?

There's only two key to a successful business in my opinion.

1) Find something that people need or have and use and do it better for them

2) Find something that you are passionate about and convince others to be passionate about it too.

3) A devastating combination of the two = Facebook, Twitter, etc

So the business angle is going to be your own decision.

Disclaimer: Nothing I write should be taken as a golden rule, I just share my own experience. I am sure many Nigerians are happily married to Americans.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Texas by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jan 04, 2014
^^^ Thanks. Guess I'm gonna need to do a detailed research when I get there to find out gaps and figure out how to fill those gaps.

And as per wifey, I'm sure I would meet Nigerians who are still single there.
Re: Relocating To Texas by Yvete(f): 5:16pm On Jan 04, 2014
Pipsland78: I believe I cant get her into the US till I become a citizen which would take 5yrs. Thing is I cant wait 5yrs ooo, me I wan settle down and start a family ooo. But cant a brother meet a good, respectful girl that cooks and wouldnt plan to divorce me later in the US? Is US really that messed up? ][/b]

Haba Uncle Pipsland! You haven't left your girlfriend in Nigeria, but you're considering options with another lady. grin shakes head!
Btw, got your PM.

The US is what you make of it. Your host, to an extent, determines how easy your experience will be. Lucky you, there's no better way to migrate to the US than with a green card. F-1 sucks, OPT and H-1 is corporate slavery.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

"Trafficking Is Worst Than Corruption"; 138 Nigerians Deported From Libya.Photos / FG Suspends Nigeria Air Project Indefinitely / Worlds Biggest Snake Killed In Africa (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.