Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,763 members, 7,927,125 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 10:07 AM

Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great (11462 Views)

Mansa: Season 1 (A Ghanaian story) / Village Menace 1 (A Serial Story) / Calling All Greek Mythology Fans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 3:50pm On Aug 12, 2012
Delafruita: since its a contest for nairalanders,i suggest a simple and straightforward contest.there's no need for email addresses,entries should be posted here on nairaland and the thread should constantly remain on the frontpage.the best entires get shhortlisted and a poll is conducted to select the winner.
please note that modifications could be required to my suggestion

We are worried about plagiarism...The moderator and i are on it to ensure that the best posts get polled..
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 3:54pm On Aug 12, 2012
mediainspired: Also, how are u going to guard against cheating/plagiarism/lifting from Google &ppl mass-voting their candidate for reasons other than merit?

Well, i can assure you that the Cuddlemii's watchful eyes is fully on this to make sure people's intellect are protected...We will be screening the votes.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Clairette(f): 4:02pm On Aug 12, 2012
O_D_B: I feel so honored to be the first comment. All of my hardwork and dedication has paid off. Getting the top comment has been a dream of mine for many years, and i would like to thank those who have helped me along the way. First and foremost i would like to thank god for giving me this opportunity. Next i would like to thank my parents. I want to thank my dog Smurf, for being really small and brave and always there for me. I would also like to thank my turtle pet cookie for surviving against all odds for over a week without water. Next i would like to thank the lucky my pitbull that lives in my backyard for been really fat because that gives me inspiration that i need to get through the day. I also want to thank my cousin for giving me someone to beat in Mario Kart. This is a special moment in my life and i would like to thank any of my unmentioned friends and family that have helped me along the way. This moment will be a moment that i will never forget. I just remembered a few other people i would like to thank; facebook, the fish i ate deep fried, my light in my room bc i wouldn’t be able to see the keyboard without it, the internet for letting me go on facebook, my house because without it i would be homeless, and last but not least i would like to thank all the people out there that actually took time out of their day to read this. I cannot stress how much of a big deal to me this is. I have been trying to be the first comment on a post for years, but that has not been possible until this amazing day. Hopefully my good luck will continue, but this is undoubtedly a rare occasion. If you asked me how i did this, i would say, you can achieve anything u set your mind on. To all the kids out there reading this, i would like to tell them to follow their dreams. Being the top comment is amazing,thank you everyone.

Reminds me of my book: Fetch the Future. Congrats!
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by chucky234(m): 4:03pm On Aug 12, 2012
Wow here we go again,guy don't waste time to conduct contest oooo,just send all the gifts straight to me cos I am to be first,second and third.
But why posting write-ups to email? I'll suggest writers post their write-ups here for everyone to see,forwarding them to email will give room for manipulation and favourism.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 4:08pm On Aug 12, 2012
mediainspired: winkAnd why are u giving a space of up to 6 weeks? Too long for d short piece u want! A natural/good writer will churn out a compelling piece dat short within a week.

We will probably be reviewing that...Expect Further Deadline News by Monday
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 4:09pm On Aug 12, 2012
chucky234: Wow here we go again,guy don't waste time to conduct contest oooo,just send all the gifts straight to me cos I am to be first,second and third.
But why posting write-ups to email? I'll suggest writers post their write-ups here for everyone to see,forwarding them to email will give room for manipulation and favourism.

We want to avoid plagiarism...Cuddlemii and i will objectively select worthy post without 'ojoro' wink
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by chucky234(m): 4:15pm On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45:

We want to avoid plagiarism...Cuddlemii and i will objectively select worthy post without 'ojoro' wink
In Cuddlemii I trust
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 4:21pm On Aug 12, 2012
UPDATE: Due to suggestions and amount of interested writers, The contests deadline is now 28th of August 2012...Poll & Top Entries will come in a few days later and the winners by end of First Week of September 2012..Prizes will be distributed by Second Week.

Happy Writing...
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 4:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
mediainspired: winkAnd why are u giving a space of up to 6 weeks? Too long for d short piece u want! A natural/good writer will churn out a compelling piece dat short within a week.

Deadline is now end of the month..28th to be precise
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by bamto(m): 4:30pm On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45:

The more reason why you should adopt the suggestion. It's better for everyone to serve as watchdogs rather than leave it to the moderators. The other day when a political debate was organised, an observant member was able to detect plagiarism in a contestant's post. For the sake of transparency and accountability, let's have the submissions here. I must commend the brilliant idea though. Thumps up.

2 Likes

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mrfoxx(m): 4:30pm On Aug 12, 2012
This is interesting.......
Writing something like this isn't always
A problem..
My problem is will they be fare?
And our write ups safe?

Am concerned about the above two questions.. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by chucky234(m): 4:35pm On Aug 12, 2012
How many entries can a writer post?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 4:44pm On Aug 12, 2012
chucky234: How many entries can a writer post?
You can only post a poem and a story for one theme..so either story/poem or both for one theme.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by pearlhapi(f): 4:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45: Good Evening Nairalanders...I have been nurturing an idea about a friendly writing challenge for Prose and Poetry Writers..I also envision it to be a Monthly Affair (If Possible)

THEMES:

- Write a Story/Poem of how to end Boko-Haram from the Perspective of a 10 year old girl living in Borno...

- Write a Story/Poem about the last 30 seconds of a man's life after he is shot by an unknown gunman.

RULES:

- You can submit a story and poem for one theme only.
- Light or Inferred Erotica is Allowed
- No Racial Slurs/Slangs Please
- Use of Foreign/Indigenous Languages with Write-Up is Permitted but subsequent translation should be made in English.

PRIZE: A $20 gift card for book shopping for top three entries and many more

DEADLINE: 29th of August 2012, Winning Entries will be announced by First week of September

Selected Entries will be put up in a poll for Votes to select the top three.

I really hope to see as many writers as possible take up the challenge.

Suggestions,Criticism and Questions are Welcome...

Let the Ink Flow...

UPDATE: Due to suggestions and amount of interested writers, The contests deadline is now 28th of August 2012...Poll & Top Entries will come in a few days later and the winners by end of First Week of September 2012..Prizes will be distributed by Second Week.
awwww.very kul
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 4:47pm On Aug 12, 2012
mr.foxx:
This is interesting.......
Writing something like this isn't always
A problem..
My problem is will they be fare?
And our write ups safe?

Am concerned about the above two questions.. Thanks
We will be fair and this will be a continous thing...Your work is safe be rest assured.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by newacca: 4:52pm On Aug 12, 2012
cool Here we go again smiley Young 9ja writers,let the ink flow...
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by ekwurekwu(m): 5:01pm On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45: Good Evening Nairalanders...I have been nurturing an idea about a friendly writing challenge for Prose and Poetry Writers..I also envision it to be a Monthly Affair (If Possible)

THEMES:

- Write a Story/Poem of how to end Boko-Haram from the Perspective of a 10 year old girl living in Borno...

- Write a Story/Poem about the last 30 seconds of a man's life after he is shot by an unknown gunman.

RULES:

- Use of Foreign/Indigenous Languages with Write-Up is Permitted but subsequent translation should be made in English.

DEADLINE: 29th of August 2012, Winning Entries will be announced by First week of September

Let the Ink Flow...

Wow!Where is my gun sorry my pen.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Hayoola1(m): 6:30pm On Aug 12, 2012
Good idea which arouse my interest but are u going to be the sole judge? Or there are other people
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by drzed: 6:32pm On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45: You can only post a poem and a story for one theme..so either story/poem or both for one theme.

I think you should also define the acceptable length of a story or poem i.e. minimum and maximum number of words.
The reason being that one submission may be long while another one may be short...yet both submissions may be unique and beautiful. Without a range or number of words, it may end up being like comparing apples with oranges.

For example, I would recommend that each short story be approximately 300 words plus/minus 10%.

All the same, this should be fun.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 6:34pm On Aug 12, 2012
H ayoola: Good idea which arouse my interest but are u going to be the sole judge? Or there are other people
No Cuddlemii is too and someone else too(will be annouced next week)
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 6:36pm On Aug 12, 2012
drzed:

I think you should also define the acceptable length of a story or poem i.e. minimum and maximum number of words.
The reason being that one submission may be long while another one may be short...yet both submissions may be unique and beautiful. Without a range or number of words, it may end up being like comparing apples with oranges.

For example, I would recommend that each short story be approximately 500 words plus/minus 10%.

All the same, this should be fun.
No necessary limits are up to allow freestyling but the main thing is quality in words..afterall we wont get a 10,000 words entry no?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by chucky234(m): 6:39pm On Aug 12, 2012
ekwurekwu:

Wow!Where is my gun sorry my pen.
don't even bother for pen or dagger cos am sweeping all available gifts
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Okukk(m): 7:16pm On Aug 12, 2012
I like this. The last time I tried something like this, it was fun.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Delafruita(m): 9:07pm On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45:

We are worried about plagiarism...The moderator and i are on it to ensure that the best posts get polled..
the more reason why the entries should be posted on the thread.besides,it gives the opportunity for others to read through every entry.any attempts at plagiarism will be detected by the watchful eyes of nairalanders and most importantly,the entries will remain on the thread even after the close of the competition and anyone can visit the thread to relive the memories even months and years from now.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by Delafruita(m): 9:15pm On Aug 12, 2012
mkmyers45: No necessary limits are up to allow freestyling but the main thing is quality in words..afterall we wont get a 10,000 words entry no?
it will be more of a competition if a limit is set.also there should be a different category for poems and a different one for a short story
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 9:20pm On Aug 12, 2012
Delafruita:
the more reason why the entries should be posted on the thread.besides,it gives the opportunity for others to read through every entry.any attempts at plagiarism will be detected by the watchful eyes of nairalanders and most importantly,the entries will remain on the thread even after the close of the competition and anyone can visit the thread to relive the memories even months and years from now.
the entries will be posted for user poll and general viewership..
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 9:23pm On Aug 12, 2012
Delafruita:
it will be more of a competition if a limit is set.also there should be a different category for poems and a different one for a short story
You must not write both, Anyway I hope the next installment of the contest will be bigger and better...More themes and categories will be introduced
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by canadaik(m): 11:45pm On Aug 12, 2012

THEMES:

RULES:

Let the Ink Flow...

UPDATE: Due to suggestions and amount of interested writers, The contests deadline is now 28th of August 2012...Poll & Top Entries will come in a few days later and the winners by end of First Week of September 2012..Prizes will be distributed by Second Week. Kindly Send All Entries to: nairalandwriterschallenge@yahoo.com

Dear Sir,
this is a noble and grand idea i truly agree with and support, there are lots of trash on front page these days, this enhance the high reputation nairaland holds....more grease to your elbows.
thanks
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by illicit(m): 8:18am On Aug 13, 2012
the last theme about the man shot by unknown gunmen, are we to write it from the man/victims perspective or as an onlooker/witness to the crime or even as d shooter, pls the way u put it isnt clear enough, thanks.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 8:21am On Aug 13, 2012
illicit: the last theme about the man shot by unknown gunmen, are we to write it from the man/victims perspective or as an onlooker/witness to the crime or even as d shooter, pls the way u put it isnt clear enough, thanks.
Well who knows the last 30 seconds of a man's life than the man himself?
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by illicit(m): 8:38am On Aug 13, 2012
mkmyers45: Well who knows the last 30 seconds of a man's life than the man himself?
well if it was u considerin u just been shot, u may knw but may not be able to put it down, who knows if he was shot in the hands as well? but an onlooker might decide to write about the mans pain, how he was grasping and struggling for life, or the words he heard him say etc. 30 secs is too short for any man shot to put anytin down, he can talk and someone will put it down for him. literature more or less has a soul this days, u have to make anytin u write look real enough not just mumbo jumbo that cant and wont happen.
Re: Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great by mkmyers45(m): 8:47am On Aug 13, 2012
illicit:
well if it was u considerin u just been shot, u may knw but may not be able to put it down, who knows if he was shot in the hands as well? but an onlooker might decide to write about the mans pain, how he was grasping and struggling for life, or the words he heard him say etc. 30 secs is too short for any man shot to put anytin down, he can talk and someone will put it down for him. literature more or less has a soul this days, u have to make anytin u write look real enough not just mumbo jumbo that cant and wont happen.
A writer should be able to envison a man's thoughts, feeling and hopes and put them into words...Imaginative fantasy if you so please..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Romeo Oriogun Wins Brunel International African Poetry Prize / Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here / Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.