Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,327 members, 7,916,990 topics. Date: Saturday, 10 August 2024 at 03:15 PM

Usa Student Visa Stories - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Usa Student Visa Stories (16213 Views)

Polish Student Visa / How To Pass USA Student Interview Visa In Nigeria / Please whats the price of Malaysia student Visa Application, and docs needed. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 10:26pm On Dec 20, 2007
Anyone recently applied for a USA student Visa as a transfer student,Please share experience and also what it was like,Thanks
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 11:05pm On Dec 24, 2007
any body
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by uspry1(f): 11:27pm On Dec 24, 2007
Look like noone has succeeded applying for USA student visa due to complex US university admission application and SAT/ACT reasoning exam requirement for all international students prior approved USA univ admission.
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by Figurehead: 2:29am On Dec 25, 2007
most students are too afraid to even try for the usa visa thing, no venture no success they say
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by blackpro: 4:51am On Dec 25, 2007
merry Xmas
i applied to the US embassy for a visa to study abroad for my masters and i got my visa
u have to have alot of your documents intact and ready for the interview
basically,it is usually advisable u pay part of the school fees before going to the embassy and u must also read up alot of information about the school you intend to attend because u will be asked how u got to know about the school
also, it is always advisable u apply to more than 1 school in the US because u will be asked how many schools you applied to and how many gave you admission and how many refused you.u need to show supporting documents as well.
then, bank statement is another important thing you must have
but generally, there is a whole lot of psychology involved in the interview-always look straight at your interviewer when you are been interviewed,never allow your eyes to wonder around too often.it is usually regarded as a sign of confidence and above all, if you know how to pray and fast, please do so before going to the embassy and make sure you arrive at the embassy early enough,
i will be back with more information on this matter soon because it is very easy if you have all your documents to get a visa
merry Xmas once again,
one love
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by princekay1(m): 6:25am On Dec 25, 2007
The visa thing is about luck; if you're lucky you get it.
My bro applied last year and he got it. what you need basically are:

Letter of admission (which will only be given when you pay half of the school fees)
your credentials and letter of sponsor
Bank statement (with minimum of 2m)
letter of reference (from a police station/lawyer)
Details of your sponsor: Certificate of incorporation, tax clearance, pay slips, etc)
your passport
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by IykeD(m): 12:09pm On Dec 25, 2007
Nice Thread! I also wish to apply for my masters(US or CANADA) and reading from blackpro, i now feel it is achievable.
@blackpro, could you drop your email address or better still write me on iykech2002@yahoo.com I need to get certain information from you

Cheers and Merry Xmas to all!
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by martins76(m): 12:28pm On Dec 25, 2007
please I will like to know how to get any school in sweden and hot to sit for TOEFL exam here in Nigeria.
Also anybody to help me on relocating to Ghana should please contact me via my mail martins_love08@yahoo.com

thanks and God bless
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 11:30pm On Dec 25, 2007
more stories will be encouraged,but most of all try doing it yourself.Getting ur admission,get your transcript evaluated,ur toefl,and like someone said know more about the school,documents are helpful but know more about the course you intend(wont be a problem if u a legal student) and well fast and pray.
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by barbosa1(m): 12:37pm On Dec 26, 2007
The USA embassy officials adore transparency and confidence. If you are applying for a student visa, they will like to see the I-20. Have evidence that you will not be a nuisance to the American populace (means you can afford your tuition fees/living costs).

The USA embassy officials might request to see a proof of your test scores (probably copies of your SAT/ACT/TOEFL test scores). And definitely you will be asked a lot of questions,

- Like why are you willing to leave your country to study in the USA?
- What do you know about your course of study in the USA and your choice institution in the USA?
- You will be asked if you have a relative in the USA (this aspect is quite tricky, because its a new way of finding out if you would be willing to come back to your home country after your studies). What they required before was proof of assets/family assets to proof that you have enough ties to your home country.
- And lest i forget, you will be asked some questions regarding your course of study. As an instance, someone going to the USA to study electrical engineering might have to tell the interviewer what he/she understands regarding Electrical Engr(specialization options in Elect Engr and prospects after studies back home).

The truth is regarding the last information, your interviewer might know nothing about Elect Engr; all he/she is interested in is to see some level of confidence in the interviewee regarding the visa application. Everything is psychological, if you were talking to someone, and the person decides to lie you would know. Isn't it?

So whatever you do, never look AWAY FROM YOUR INTERVIEWER. NEVER FIDGET AND ALWAYS HAVE A SMILE ON YOUR FACE. Just know that the interviewer expects you to be nervous, so its normal. Feel free to be nervous but BE CONFIDENT.

Best of Luck!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by IykeD(m): 1:17pm On Dec 26, 2007
Nice Piece of information.Well done!
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 1:47pm On Dec 26, 2007
Another useful tips from barbosa1;well appreciated. can anyone be more specific about what documents your sponsor needs to provide apart from his Bank statement.
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by metodman(m): 3:20pm On Jan 03, 2008
hello everyone , i am so happy about the way u guys have enlightened me about this infos, i am having my interview soon and God willing, i will get it , I stay in south africa and am ready for it, what i dont know is if i can use my statement of account from naija cos i gave the school naija own, the shool promised to give letter of acceptance even without paying yet, thst the rule of the school, get the visa first and u will pay for teh school, its written in thei website and the documents they sent to me, will that help me in anyway ?[b][/b][i][/i][color=#006600][/color] can i have the full list of documents they need or which i will present ?
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 12:37pm On Jan 09, 2008
We are still open to more stories and recent experiences,Happy 2008
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by debouy: 7:21pm On Jan 16, 2008
Hi Guys.I'm intending to study for My Masters degree in USA Fall Admission.Its actually MBA.Do i need to take TOEFL,GRE? How do i book appointment with the Usembassy? I hear its now done online.
Thanks
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 9:41pm On Jan 16, 2008
Hey,Well i think you should take the Internet Based Toefl and probably the GRE,for interview just send the consular your Sevis # i guess thats all and you will alocated a date for an interview i will try get more information for you later,
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 16, 2008
hey guy! how do u get usa visa interview date. there isnt any available date on the online application, is there some other ways? also can anyone list vital documents to be taken to the interview?, thank you all for the vital informations.
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 10:55pm On Jan 16, 2008
Do u mean student Visa interview,cause this thread is only for student Visa
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by idonland(m): 11:04pm On Jan 16, 2008
I am currently in graduate school in the US and I also attended university here. The Visa process is easier than we make it on ourselves, the embassy is not out to torment us. If you have your documents together and know your information you will get the visa (also you need Gods will lol).

-The first thing you will need is your form I-20, you will receive this after you have accepted your admissions from the school, some schools have an acceptance fee (usually $35-$150). You should NOT i repeat NOTpay any part of your fees before you apply for your visa.

-You will also need to have proof of financial support, this should be in the form of a current bank statement, and in some instances you will need to show tax clearance.

-you might also need to have your SAT scores and if your English scores are not too good or your school requires it you might also need TOEFL.

-You should apply to more than one school, preferrably about 5-10. you should only apply to 4 year colleges, do not apply to junior colleges, community colleges or schools that are not accredited.

-You should know why you chose your course of study, and why you picked your specific school for that course.

-You should be confident in your responses and look the interviewer in the eyes, but do not over-confident, arrogant or cocky.

-If you have been out of school for a while you should also be able to describe what you have been doing since you were last enrolled in school, in some cases they may require proof.

-you should be well rested before you go to the embassy as it will help you stay relaxed and focused.

-Lastly you should have something that ties you to Nigeria, you should have something that tells them you want to come back home, be it your strong family ties, or family business that you plan to use your degree for. Just have something that will let your interviewer know that you are coming back home after you graduate.

I hope this all helps. Also if you are on scholarship you will still need money to cover your living expenses such as clothes, hygiene, and such things so you will still need a bank statement showing sufficient funds to cover the living expenses shown on your form I-20 and still have funds left over for the owner of the bank statement to survive comfortably.

best of luck and Gods grace.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by idonland(m): 11:07pm On Jan 16, 2008
debouy:

Hi Guys.I'm intending to study for My Masters degree in USA Fall Admission.Its actually MBA.Do i need to take TOEFL,GRE? How do i book appointment with the Us embassy? I hear its now done online.
Thanks

When you decide what schools you are applying to, the check their requirements, some schools require TOEFL while others don't, for an MBA you will most likely need to take GMAT. other than that the requirements are the same as for an undergraduate visa
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jan 16, 2008
yes i am talking about student visa interview. are there still intervie dates left for january 2008?
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 10:06am On Jan 17, 2008
Student Visas
Nigerians seeking to enroll in a U.S. high school or university, complete a technical degree, or participate in an exchange program must obtain an appropriate student visa.

Qualifying for a Student Visa

Under U.S. immigration law, applicants for many categories of non-immigrant visas, including student visas, are presumed to be intending immigrants. To qualify for a visa, applicants must clearly demonstrate their intent to depart the United States upon the completion of their studies.

Applicants usually demonstrate their intent to depart the United States by proving that they have a stable family and economic situation to which they must return.

Student visa applicants must also demonstrate that they have sufficient funds to cover the cost of their studies.

Applying for a Student Visa

Students should make an appointment for a visa interview as soon as possible after receiving their I- 20. Student visa applicants may use the online appointment system, or they may also use the email appointment request system explained below.

In Lagos: Student visa applicants in the Lagos consular district may schedule an interview by e-mailing lagoscons2@state.gov and requesting an appointment date. The student will receive an appointment date by return email. (Please see Consulate General Lagos Consular web page for more information on student visas.)

In Abuja:

Step One: Effective June 27, 2007, student visa applicants applying in the Abuja consular district may request an interview appointment by sending an email to AbujaStudentVisas@state.gov. The email must include: (1) the student’s name as it appears in their passport and (2) the SEVIS number (found in the upper right-hand corner of the I-20 form begins with an “N”). No other information is required in the email.

Step Two: Within 3 business days, eligible applicants will receive an appointment confirmation email from the Consular Section with the next available appointment date.

Step Three: The applicant must print the confirmation email and gather all supporting documents and forms (see list below), and bring them to the interview.

Electronic, barcoded DS-156 non-immigrant visa application (for all applicants), available at the website listed above or at https://evisaforms.state.gov/ds156.asp?lang=1
DS-157 (for males between the ages of 16 and 45)
DS-158 (for students)
Endorsed, valid I-20 (for students)
DS-2019 (for exchange visitors)
International passport valid for at least six months beyond the intended period of stay in the United States
Two passport (5cm x 5cm) photographs with full face forward against a white background taken within the last six months. Hair must not cover the ears. No photos with dark glasses or non-religious, tribal, or chieftaincy head covering will be permitted.
The UBA bank receipt (for the $131 visa application fee).
All supporting documents that can establish the applicant's strong economic, social, and other ties to Nigeria.
Special Note: Applicants are strongly advised to obtain their UBA Bank receipt several days prior to their appointment, since they must appear with this bank receipt at the day and time of the interview.

Step Four: Applicants must appear at the Consular Gate on the date and time of their appointment with the email appointment confirmation printout, all supporting forms, documents, and fee receipts. Applicants that appear without all of the necessary items will lose their appointment and will need to request a new appointment date.

Step Five: Successful visa applicants will return to the Consular Section at 3:00 p.m. two business days after their interview to collect their passports. Applicants who arrive late to pick up their passports will be asked to return the following day.
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 10:30am On Jan 17, 2008
elnuga do you have your I-20 yet,it will state when you start classes,spring,summer,falls,so that depends on when you can get an interview.

I don land,thanks for the contribution.But can you be candid about what exact documents are needed aside statement of account and Tax clearance,especially when You being sponsored by a relative.
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by debouy: 3:40pm On Jan 17, 2008
Thanks Guys!, does your sponsor necessarily need to share the same surname with you? Im being sponsored by my Uncle.So i need not pay part of my fees before going for the interview is that right?wont the embassy require students pay all or part of their tuition before getting their visa?How do you know if a uni or college in usa is accredited?
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by idonland(m): 4:08pm On Jan 22, 2008
debouy:

Thanks Guys!, does your sponsor necessarily need to share the same surname with you? I'm being sponsored by my Uncle.So i need not pay part of my fees before going for the interview is that right?wont the embassy require students pay all or part of their tuition before getting their visa?How do you know if a uni or college in usa is accredited?

You do not need to pay a part of your fees, as long as you have your acceptance letter and your form I-20 you should be fine, the embassy advises you not to pay any part of your fees before you are accepted, for the simple fact that you are not guaranteed a visa. Most schools have their accreditation details on their websites or in their catalog.
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by Wilfem(m): 12:20am On Jan 25, 2008
In fact, I'm indeed glad with all these vital informations. Thanks. God bless you all

1 Like

Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by almondjoy(f): 2:24am On Jan 25, 2008
Yeah! Came to America on a student's visa too.  As soon as you get there try to convert to a permanent residence status within the first 2 years. 

I did the "usual" thingy and was able to save a lot of money. I joined the navy--the benefits for my family were awesome! cool  Those out of state tuition can be depressing.  Join the army--WE ARE WINNING THE WAR IN IRAQ!

Be all you can be! kiss

Goodluck!
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 9:03am On Jan 25, 2008
lol, yea Naval Lady, well we dey go join una soon, lol,
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by loveme777: 4:04pm On Jan 26, 2008
My sister,
Please kindly explain what you meant by the "usual thing"? We can also learn from you. No insult intended, please. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by almondjoy(f): 5:59pm On Jan 26, 2008
loveme777:

My sister,
Please kindly explain what you meant by the "usual thing"? We can also learn from you. No insult intended, please. Thank you.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm, Don't worry my dear. When you come over we will let you know. Interpol dey for Nairaland! cheesy
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by metodman(m): 7:59am On Feb 02, 2008
please help urgently!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i want to know the the application forms that i will fill online when appyling, i mean those ones i will fill on the american embassy or u do it in another way in 9ja ?
Re: Usa Student Visa Stories by ernal(m): 2:59pm On Feb 02, 2008
Why so much in a hurry,navigate their website and you will find the useful information.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2 Injured As Bridge Collapse In Osun (Photos) / Who has Been to Canada? / Terrible Accident In Anambra Kills One On The Spot (Disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.