Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,632 members, 7,885,621 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 12:27 PM

Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages (4121 Views)

AVG Reveals Top Ten Android Apps That Kill Phone Performance. / Make FREE Calls And Browse FREE With This MTN Codes! / MTN Ng Offers Its Subscribers Free Calls For The Month Of August: How To Activat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by cj1080(m): 10:08pm On Aug 13, 2012
Today we will looK at Android apps that allow free call functions.
we will break it down by app name, voice call, video call, push messages,IM and contact sync.

First off.

1.Nimbuzz: Most Former Nokia Users will remember this app. A favorite in 2009.got its ability to make voice and video calls. Its Still a go to app for the same purpose.
a. free Voice calls are a yes.
b. free Video calls also.
c. IM and push messagea it allows but falls short on its ability to work with only one account per im platform.
d. Once Installed it syncs with your phone book contacts to find which of them is using nimbuzz.

2. Ebuddy: Another fav from Nokia users, although formerly strickly an IM app. Ebuddy has launched a push message function called xlms that works like whatsapp pin and all.
a. free Voice calls are a no
b. free Video calls no also
c. IM and push messages are allowed, with multiple account usage on one or more im platform.
d. Once Installed it syncs with your phone book contacts to find which of them is using it.

3. Tango : Tango is some what new in the Android stream, but it comes bearing gifts.
b. free Video calls also.
c. IM is a no
d. It offers free push messages for its users.
e. Once Installed it syncs with your phone book contacts to find which of them is using it.

4. Viber: Said To rival the likes of skype Viber stands at over a100,000 users and climbing. Chances Are if you have family outside Nigeria, UK US Russia and they have a smart phone,they will be using Viber.
b. free Video calls is a no
c. IM is a no
d. offers push messages and sms for its users.
e. Once Installed it syncs with your phone book contacts to find which of your contacts is has it installed on their phone.

5. Skype: Popularly known for bringing video call to the Internet. Its Still remains one of the go to apps for video calls and conferencing.
b. free Video calls is a yes
c. IM is a yes but only for Facebook
d. offers push messages for its users.
e. Once Installed it syncs with your phone book contacts to find which of them is using it.

6. Yahoo Messenger: Some Would ask how, yes Yahoo messenger on Android offers voice and video calls,but you will have to download a plug in called voice and video plugin for it to work.
a. free Voice calls to any of your yahoo contacts who odds online using an Android,iPhone, pc etc
b. free Video calls top your yahoo contract who has a Webcan.
c. IM between yahoo and Facebook .
d. push messages
e. sync functions enabled.

7. Imo messenger: Relatively known apps for im, just added some new features that enable its users make free calla between themselves and their contacts on Facebook and Yahoo contacts
In essence you call your Imo contacts and also call your Facebook contacts.
a. free Voice calls are a yes,including to Facebook and yahoo.
b. free Video calls is a no
c. IM is a yes, multiple accounts on one or more im platforms
d. push messages are a yes.
e. syncing is a no.

All the above mentioned apps are free to use and available on googleplay or Android market.

Feel Free to include your selection of free call or text apps.
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by cj1080(m): 11:13am On Aug 14, 2012
guys please if you have any other apps that offer this service, don't hesitate to share.
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by omafones: 12:11pm On Aug 14, 2012
add SiP4Mobiles

free voice calls to other users, BUT to call other non-users you can pay in naira (using prepay voucher)

Allows you purchase a UK, US and many other country numbers, unlike Viper, Skype or Tango you can pay in naira for the paid service no need for paypal or visa cards. Just top up your account in naira using their vouchers.

Android download available here;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sipformobiles.sip

for vouchers email info@omafones.com or call 08033068085.
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by cj1080(m): 3:09pm On Aug 14, 2012
on what is the call rates like.
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by cj1080(m): 9:15am On Aug 15, 2012
young man, I checked the app, found that the site its not active.

How much does it cost to dial Nigerian numbers.
what is the calling rates good the various countries.
and why does one have to play for a virtual account.
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by walcolm(m): 1:10pm On Aug 15, 2012
@OP,

you missed out Gtalk...the messenger app for Google gmail. i don't know too many people who don't have gmail account these days besides if you want to enjoy your android phone, gmail is a must and it comes with Gtalk. with the google muscle behind it, it is challenging SKYPE in terms of capability and its major limitation is you need a gmail account whereas skype lets you bring any email address you already have from anywhere

that said, i really don't think people should waste their time with all the other wannabe apps in this category..SKYPE is at a level most of them can only dream of. Skype is totally platform independent cool, whether you're at home on your PC, laptop, tablet or you're on the go with your mobile phone (except BB), you can stay in touch via IM if your bandwidth cannot support voice and video
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by cj1080(m): 11:13am On Aug 16, 2012
I thought it was not active in Nigeria yet. g talk
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by omafones: 11:54am On Aug 16, 2012
cj1080: young man, I checked the app, found that the site its not active.

How much does it cost to dial Nigerian numbers.
what is the calling rates good the various countries.
and why does one have to play for a virtual account.

Spambot has hidden my post

email me on info@omafones.com
GSM rate in Nigeria are N15 per minute, UK, US, Germany, China are between N5 - N7 per minute
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by Nobody: 11:17am On Jan 15, 2013
Just installed Viber an hour ago, thanks for this.

IM now works on Viber by the way

walcolm:
...i really don't think people should waste their time with all the other wannabe apps in this category..SKYPE is at a level most of them can only dream of. Skype is totally platform independent cool, whether you're at home on your PC, laptop, tablet or you're on the go with your mobile phone (except BB), you can stay in touch via IM if your bandwidth cannot support voice and video
The fact that like whatsapp Viber syncs with your Phone contacts makes me rate it above skype. I hate unnecessary registration and having to ask friends for usernames.
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by ibietela2(m): 12:03pm On Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for the list
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by akinlolusewanu9(m): 9:29am On Jun 21, 2013
Viber and Skype are still the best. Now Viber can be installed on PC too How to install Viber on your laptop. Especially for those that are in the office with system, Not only can you do Viber on Android, Blackberry and iPhone, but also on laptops too. http://phonegist..com/2013/06/how-to-install-viber-on-windows-and.html
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 11, 2015
Op why u no add whatsapp? Shebi dem dey give us free calls. i almost forgot about facebook messenger, why u no add am?
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by babafunny(m): 11:02am On Sep 05, 2015
Viber Download: viber.com is known for its viber free calls and messages both on Viber Desktop, Viber for Windows PC, Viber on the App Store on iTunes,
http://www.techvaid.com/viber-download-www-viber-com-pc-viber-free-download/
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by babafunny(m): 2:34pm On Sep 22, 2015
Re: Android Apps That Offer Free Calls And Messages by Akamo5(m): 2:44pm On Sep 22, 2015
kingschat.
it allows voice and video calls and IM
it is available on playstore

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Samsung Chat 222 Plus / Iphone 6 And 6 Plus Now Availible On Konga.com [buy Now!] / Gionee F103 Pro Specs Features And Price In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.