Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,904 members, 7,906,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 10:11 AM

Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) (3682 Views)

Indomie Generation Wont Know What These Things Are (+PICTURES) / Nollywood At 20; What Advice Do You Have For Nollywood Film makers? / Issues Of Film Censorship In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by jemit(m): 5:01pm On Jan 01, 2008
combrazor & lafem - clap, clap, clap!!!

wow, u guys are bad. u have a good knowledge base of animation, keep it up.

but as far as i am concerned, 3d is it and is here to stay(till 4d comes along) grin

i dont think i will ever be a fan of 2d. dont get me wrong, i love the old walt disney cartoons etc but i so much prefer the 3d mediu of expression.

why dont u guys come up wit some 2d flick.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Lafem(m): 9:02pm On Jan 01, 2008
combrazor: i'm a huge Warner Brothers junkie, i worship at the altar of Tex Avery and Bob Clampett![/b]

Bro, that makes two of us! Matter of fact, I learned animation by STUDYING Warner Bros. shorts, in 'slow-mo', frame-by-frame, while I observed the principles I was learning on display, especially Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck shorts from the Golden Age. And just like you, Bob Clampett and Tex Avery also happen to be my fav. directors, while my favourite Warner Bros. animators are Ken Harris and Bob McKimson -- Harris was a genius while Bob was in a league/class of his own. Each time I watch the Bugs Bunny short, "Falling Hare" [directed by Clampet and animated by McKimson], I find myself pausing the film, impulsively, from time to time, just to appreciate the out-of-this-world quality of McKimson's draftsmanship -- I don't think there was any other Warner Bros./Bugs Bunny animator [not even Harris] who could draw Bugs Bunny as good as Bob.

hey, a question for you: what do you know about rotoscopy?

Personally, I don't fancy it, mainly because the level of realism it portrays beats the whole purpose of animation, though I understand it can be a great learning tool. I think it has the tendency of looking VERY stiff when done without the animators altering it at all,  like in Polar Express and Final Fantasy. I know Disney and the Fleischer Bros. used a bit of it during the early days of animation development in America, but even they had to jettison the practice partly because it just wasn't good on the eyes [atleast to me it's not]. I'll rather just study live-action films, than actually trace over them frame-by-frame. I have the Fleischers' "Gulliver's Travels", and besides the rotoscoped characters, the animation was on-point, by the standards of the time. Ditto Disney's "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" -- though in this case it was handled much better and looked pretty decent. I recently learned that even my beloved "Superman" animated shorts from the Fleischers studios of old were rotocoped, though with the sort of flair and appeal that made it hard to notice. By contrast, in Polar Express the animators literally were told to TRACE (in a sense) the actions of the actors DIRECTLY as they were done without exaggerating or altering. If you do it that way why make it animated at all? Why not just shoot a live-action film?

However, it can look very good when the movements are altered and exaggerated by the animators, like in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies for Gollum and King Kong.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Lafem(m): 9:16pm On Jan 01, 2008
jemit:

but as far as i am concerned, 3d is it and is here to stay(till 4d comes along) grin

i don't think i will ever be a fan of 2d. don't get me wrong, i love the old walt disney cartoons etc but i so much prefer the 3d mediu of expression.

That's mighty fine, bro. wink The world's big enoff to accomodate us all. cheesy

why don't u guys come up wit some 2d flick.

I've got a few projects in the works as we speak.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Lafem(m): 3:05pm On Jan 03, 2008
@combrazor: Sorry my reply's coming a bit late, na work no gree me the time. How's 'beantown'? Bro, I agree with what you said about rotoscopy. Honestly, I was initially averse to the technique until I saw its effective execution and application in King Kong and Gullum [LOTR]. And like you, I equally find that I enjoy it best when used sparingly, as was done in the 'Superman' shorts. As the superman shorts suggest, I think it can be indeed be effectively and convincingly pulled-off when tweaked by animators, to tone down its overtly realistic tendency.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by grafikdon: 9:00pm On Jan 05, 2008
2D animation is not dead and 3D is not here to replace 2D, there's enough room for both. I wouldn't write off 3D either because it has its uses and could be pleasant and breath taking when utilized APPROPRIATELY and by this I mean visual effects in live action movies where digital stunt doubles are employed in shots that are short and impressive enough to save it from scrutiny. 3D fills in the gap left by some of the obvious limitations of 2D. They both can be used together in 'peace and harmony'. For instance, the ''SEAMLESS" integration of 3D and 2D can be jaw dropping . Ghost In The Shell and Sky Blue (Korean feature) come to mind, as well as others too numerous to mention.

There's something about the simplicity and fluidity of 2D animation that can NEVER be REPLICATED or REPLACED by any medium. With that said, I'd like to point out that 3D becomes rather offensive and ridiculous when somebody tries to make a photo realistic 3D movie- - - I find it a very ridiculous and pointless adventure. If you are going to do it, tone down on the realism like they did in Advent Children, Kaena, Tak and the Power of Juju- - - etc. It is more appealing that way and does not leave you wondering if you should be watching these wax figures or punching yourself with a bag of nickels. Sure I enjoyed photo realistic stuff like Beowulf and Spirits within, it was merely for the stunning visuals. My opinion about such ventures remain the same, it is not a very bright idea. I have a peoblem with the concept only, but I do enjoy the visuals to the fullest, pure eye candy, no more no less. Use 3D for the right purposes and all will be well (Vfx, video games and heavily stylized projects---etc).

Thank God for Television, The French,Japanese, Koreans and Chinese, for without their commitment to quality 2D animation, we'd all be choking with American ''Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' animation and by this I mean ridiculous infantile-fuzzy-wuzzy-talking furry animal fiasco bullshti, where creativity and originality could be more difficult than the conversion of Osama Bin Laden to Christianity.

On a side note @ Combdrazor, I don't think some Africans are joining the 3D band wagon because of cost (lol you should see their Max vs Maya vs Lightwave my-software-is-the-real-deal-and yours-is-shit beef grin) rather, it is because the fundamental requirement of 2D animation is that YOU MUST KNOW HOW TO DRAW. In order words, it is easier to hack it out with 3D where you don't necessarily have to be a superstar illustrator (Never mind the best 3D artist have strong traditional art background). 2D is more labour intensive but 3D is a lot more costly in terms of software and hardware.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by bishoptboy(m): 12:34pm On Jan 06, 2008
I'm so happy to see how you guys talk intelligently on topics like this. Let us not just forget the initial call i made about making impact in the nigerian film industry. No matter where we are we will always be refered to as nigerian filmmaker. I see myself as a nigerian film maker although i'm not in nigeria. lets joing hands and make a change. let find a way of coming together and put a few films out there that will call the attention of the world. Tsotsi film from south africa did it. Writers, cinematographers, editors, directors lets tell the world THAT QUALITY CAN COME FROM NIGERIA NOT ONLY QUANTITY.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by jemit(m): 12:00am On Jan 08, 2008
bishoptboy:

I'm so happy to see how you guys talk intelligently on topics like this. Let us not just forget the initial call i made about making impact in the nigerian film industry. No matter where we are we will always be refered to as nigerian filmmaker. I see myself as a nigerian film maker although i'm not in nigeria. lets joing hands and make a change. let find a way of coming together and put a few films out there that will call the attention of the world. Tsotsi film from south africa did it. Writers, cinematographers, editors, directors lets tell the world THAT QUALITY CAN COME FROM NIGERIA NOT ONLY QUANTITY.
i still seriously believe we can make impact in the industry. want to know something, bishoptboy, hope u are coming back to niga to pour out all the knowledge and skill u have acquired where u are.

i feel the idea of we putting heads, hearts and hands together to come up with a good film. i am looking for people to work with.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by richyodilu(m): 11:52pm On Jan 11, 2008
I am so elated to see that there are indeed young people like me who aspire to change the face of movie making in Nigeria. This is the drive that gave birth to the Company, Xpressive Productions in the USA (I am a co-partner, and the Nigeria version is Xpressive Entertainment) we want to revolutionize Entertainment and Production in Nigeria. We are looking at taking local contents to the international scene, that is why I have gone ahead to study HOLLYWOOD and discovered what makes it sell like fire. I can boldly say I have been skooled in the art of international SCREENPLAYING, and has acquired series of Screenplay softwares, and we have huge projects ahead that we have started work on, I am glad that I have found guys like you here, and did I mention I am superbly creative, got nominations and awards for that , richyodilu@yahoo.com, that is my contact
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by ikechima(m): 7:33pm On Jan 14, 2008
Re:Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm also interested abut D whole stuff.Actually  i read Theatre Arts and as a mtter of fact,i dont watch 9iaja movies.pls wen eva u are set let me know.u can reach me thru 08037966788,or iceignat@yahoo.com. IKE IGNATIUS CHIMA.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by lynx45(m): 6:02pm On Feb 29, 2008
sorry may i add this has anyone tot about d distribution mechanism for this new wave of films because this is where the idumota boys hav an edge i really love your idea and am down wit it but does anyone hav any good idea on bypassing this idumota boys and creating a whole ney marketing system(am not talkin cinema)an idea came 2 me concerning usin the cell fone to rent or sell movie copies 2 the public am still adding flesh to d idea i will get 2 u when am done meanwhile any other suggestions
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by saxpire: 1:58pm On Mar 04, 2008
hlo house,pls i'm interested in film making.can anyone direct me on the right step to take.It's really my passion.thanks
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by powerofmap(m): 11:21pm On Mar 05, 2008
Am a Script Writer and I wana be part of this, Da prof never knew you good with animations
My YM and email is powerofmapen@yahoo.com
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by jemit(m): 6:43pm On Mar 06, 2008
Da Prof, what type of animation are u into.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by powerofmap(m): 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2008
Old skool kinda cool
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Nobody: 8:58am On Mar 10, 2008
well, u've all written animatedly enough. but u all forgot one thing. ur contact. so i don't think u guys are ready yet. and thats the problem with nigeria. too much talk cos we are so good at it and no work. so i'm good with stories but nevr with scripts. my phone no is 07031001670. when u are ready to hit it, call me i'm all set.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Lafem(m): 8:21pm On Mar 10, 2008
@Combrazor: Did you just reveal an interest in the Stop-motion animation style?!  Bro, that's like my second most-beloved animation style -- right behind traditional/classical animation, ofcourse! I intend to delve into the style in the near future. Have you seen Tim Burton's "The Corpse Bride"? I believe it ranks as perhaps the best animated feat achieved in recent times! If you ain't seen it, please do. And make sure you watch the 'making' of the film in the special features section of the dvd, and tell me if you aren't moved. smiley

p.s: I'd hate to derail this thread but, I for like to talk more about animation with you, bros. Maybe we fit block on my 2d traditional/classical animation thread in the Graphics forum. What you say?
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Lafem(m): 12:16am On Mar 13, 2008
Combrazor: Bros, let's meet here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-71864.128.html . Thanx.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by dappsy001(m): 7:27pm On Mar 26, 2008
THERE IS A NEW TV SERIES COMING UP THAT I HEARD ABOUT ITS CALLED "D COMBACK" THE QUALITY OF THIS SERIES IS LIKE ALL THE WAY UP THE AND ITS AN ORIGINAL SERIES SO ITS NOT LIKE NIGERIANS ARE STEALING AMERIANCAN SHOWS AND I HEARD ITS GOING TO BE SHOWN IN NIGERIA BUT ITS SHOT IN AMERICA BY NIGERANS.I THINK THE NAME OF THE ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY SHOOTING IT IS CALLED PROMINENT CEASE ENT.THEIR WEBSITE WOULD SOON BE OUT.WE SHOULD ALL SUPPORT GOOD QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT FOR ONCE.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by slimnike(m): 4:47pm On Mar 28, 2008
Desperately in need of a Film/video Editor. Anyone? undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by WafiJoe(m): 7:06pm On Apr 03, 2008
I'ma good script writer u can holla me on this no 08073187506, afroguy16@yahoo.co.uk is my email
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by andrewdg(m): 1:48pm On Apr 28, 2008
My am andrew simon. My height in screenplay and script editing can only be talked about when the time comes. Contact me on 07034819433 when you come around. Nice idea!
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Tosbi(m): 11:04am On Aug 10, 2008
Nice idea and plan u ve got out dere. Even d name of d outfit( New Waves Pioneers) u propose i must confess is very professional. I am a scriptwriter, editor and cinematographer & i'm very much interested n u can always count on me for support n assistance anyday n anytime. My no is 08057074642 n email olatunjiogunkomaya@yahoo.com
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Tosbi(m): 12:39pm On Aug 10, 2008
And before i forget. I can also help 2 donate a Professional Website to this new outfit if it does not ve yet wit enough features 2 promote our image as professionals.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by iice(f): 3:57pm On Jul 14, 2011
Interesting thread.

Any new developments/projects?
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Kpusmokuti: 5:19pm On Jul 18, 2011
Count me IN; a have good scripts and good concepts for productions that will bring out the motive and idea of this foundation: E-mail me through: davidson4hope@yahoo.com
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by chilaxplorer(m): 11:43pm On May 22, 2013
I have been watching what's going on in Nollywood. There are trying, anyway. I want to use this medium to present my self as a 3D animator, editor and 3D animation movie maker. I'm strongly behind you guys and can support in. a professional way, such as handling the work of all the 3D modelling and animation. I can hear someone say: "are you sure what you are saying". Anyway its not a bad idea if you request to watch how my work looks like. In conclusion, I'm behind you in terms of any 3D animation movie making. 22110C97. This's my pin.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by naijacgi: 11:08am On May 23, 2013
i lik de idea and am buyin it al, am a 3D, CG VFX animator with 6years workin expirence, u can al watch my showreels by typin JOHNSON RAPON on google. am on facebook with d above name addrs. mb ct@08106739154
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Nobody: 8:42pm On May 23, 2013
ALL FILM PRACTITIONERS SHOULD READ THIS!!!

Have you ever been frustrated try to get the contact of a certain actor, producer, director, etc? Do you want people to easily find you for jobs? Are you looking for a platform to promote yourself and your work? Then the newly launched NOLLY website is here for you.

NOLLY has loads of cool and exciting features for film makers that include:

NOLLYPAGE - this is your online resume as a film maker, It allows you to list you previous jobs in the 'Portfolio' tab (if you haven't done any job, don't worry, NOLLYAUDITION is for you), post your personal details in the 'Personal Details' tab, display your head-shots/mug-shots, behind the scene photos,etc in the 'Gallery' tab, and most importantly, make your contact details available to privileged users in the 'Contact' tab.

NOLLYAUDITION - How would u like to be getting movie roles without going to auditions? This is an important part of your NOLLYPAGE; simply upload a short video of yourself acting. This would reduce the stress of physically being present and spending all day at auditions as producers would be able to see what you can do and contact you. For producers, the videos will help you cut to the chase and get the artiste you want at your leisure. More Hollywood people are turning their attention to the Nigeria movie industry, allow them see what you can do.

NOLLYARTICLE - a lot of negative things have been said about the Nigerian movie industry. This will focus on the positive side of our industry.

Other sections include NOLLYSHORT, NOLLYPAGE, NOLLYSHOW, NOLLYJOB, etc.

Visit http://www.nolly.com.ng and create an account now.

You can also follow us on twitter @NollyNG and BBM 295436C0

AFTER REGISTRATION, CLICK THE 'UPGRADE' LINK TO ENJOY ALL THE 'FILM PRACTITIONER' FEATURES ON THE SITE.

Let's be our brothers' keeper, spread this message to every film maker you know.
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by Nobody: 9:08am On Dec 03, 2013
Am just seen dis for the first time..is this thread rly working ..ping me 30597805..08068059344==my digit..wold love too be a part of dis thrend
Re: Join The Next Generation Of Film Makers. (new Wave Pioneers) by VillageBoi(m): 9:54am On Dec 04, 2013
smith_sydny: Am just seen dis for the first time..is this thread rly working ..ping me 30597805..08068059344==my digit..wold love too be a part of dis thrend
Not to be the one on a downer BUT if you want to do something just do it... it's almost impossible that you will ever get anything out of a thread like this simply because we Nigerians are generally full of talk... we seem to not be able to actually 'walk the walk'. This thread is SIX years old... did these people get together and do anything?
Your best bet is to find people & friends in your locality and start doing 'things' for fun and grow from there... this is the same as a zillion other such threads here.
I'm not saying it can't happen BUT we're more into talk-talk and not 'collective action'.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Download Chinese Film/korean Tv Series? / Last Ship Tv Series Followers. Let's Get Talking! / Empire.........

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.