Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,698 members, 7,882,386 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 12:16 AM

1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel (3251 Views)

What Causes Overheating And How Can It Be Totally Prevented / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by tope24(m): 5:03pm On Aug 14, 2012
i just got a tokunbo 99 model babyboy and it has started overheating and also it consumes fuel. What do I do about it?
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by Fax2011: 6:04pm On Aug 17, 2012
The first step in solving this problem is to run a scan on the vehicle
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by gulfer: 8:46am On Aug 18, 2012
tope24: i just got a tokunbo 99 model babyboy and it has started overheating and also it consumes fuel. What do I do about it?
Did your Mechanic carry out the usual Nigerian mechanic modification of removing thermostat and connecting the fan directly? If so, go and reverse this.
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by luvinhubby(m): 5:18pm On Aug 19, 2012
Check if the fans are blowing & on the right direction(towards your engine), if rhere's a leakage on the radiator or water hoses, if water is functioning (water will be flowing inside the radiator when engine is steaming) & if water bubles inside the radiator then u have a bad head gasket.
For the fuel consumption, check if your exhaust is steal intact.
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by gulfer: 7:12pm On Aug 19, 2012
gulfer: Did your Mechanic carry out the usual Nigerian mechanic modification of removing thermostat and connecting the fan directly? If so, go and reverse this.
Didn't see the second part of the question, and I think luvinhubby has answered it. First and .oat important to get the fuel consumption cause is a scan of the vehicle......Do that ASAP.
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by davioli(m): 8:14pm On Aug 19, 2012
Just like the house said, check if the thermostat is working properly, check the fans, cuz if the relays are bad it won't work while driving. Get the car scanned for errors, the O2 sensor is probably bad and is causing the excessive fuel consumption.. But do not let any mechanic do trial and error diagnosis on your car
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by KA24DETT(m): 11:00pm On Aug 19, 2012
GOSHH... Nigerians know how to kill engines... NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER PUT WATER IN YOUR RADIATOR.. You put coolant.. There are the unversal green ones. Am pretty sure thats why 90% of cars in Nigeria overheat. The coolant is a lubricant and coolant combines and it increases the boiling point of water so it does not evaporate easily.
Engine maintenance 101. Flush out all the water in ur radiator and reservoir tank and put 50% antifreeze 50% water and ur overheating issues is gone..
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by femi4: 9:53am On Aug 20, 2012
gulfer: Did your Mechanic carry out the usual Nigerian mechanic modification of removing thermostat and connecting the fan directly? If so, go and reverse this.
I disagree with this, that modification serves as a back up incase the thermostat relay goes bad, you ll still have the fan running
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by Ikenna351(m): 10:32am On Aug 20, 2012
femi4: I disagree with this, that modification serves as a back up incase the thermostat relay goes bad, you ll still have the fan running

Thermostat? Relay? What does thermostat got to do with relay? Fellow, do you really know what you are saying? Do you even know what thermostat is or what it looks like? Or were you referring to radiator electric fan(s) relay?

Ikenna.
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by femi4: 1:36pm On Aug 20, 2012
Ikenna351:

Thermostat? Relay? What does thermostat got to do with relay? Fellow, do you really know what you are saying? Do you even know what thermostat is or what it looks like? Or were you referring to radiator electric fan(s) relay?

Ikenna.
What r u talking about, heat sensor can serve as a relay. A relay is a broad term
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by gulfer: 1:55pm On Aug 20, 2012
femi4: What r u talking about, heat sensor can serve as a relay. A relay is a broad term
@femi4, no disrespect here but I must tell you that you do better on the techie (comms and computer) side but that may not obtain with auto. Qualitative advice on auto maintenance and mechanics from the likes of Ikenna, Sienna et al is from years of experience and should be commended rather than come up against them with one off exception to the rules as in this case. The workings of any automobile should not be tampered with to exact some forced performance as in the case of connecting fans to run directly; this will not manifest immediately but over time.
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by lukkie(m): 10:41pm On Aug 20, 2012
@OP, if the thermostat is bad, go and replace it - they're cheap. You need professional help for this car, not trial & error. Don't run your car without a thermostat or connect the fan directly, even if your roadside mechanic advises you to. You'll spend more money on fuel in the long run and you're killing the engine.
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by KA24DETT(m): 3:54am On Sep 30, 2012
femi4: I disagree with this, that modification serves as a back up incase the thermostat relay goes bad, you ll still have the fan running

Pls do not ever ever ever give auto advice.
Re: 1999 Babyboy Overheating And Consuming Fuel by cretin: 9:27am On Sep 30, 2012
yes @ femi4...pls stop giving car advice..you are not knowledagle about mordern cars.

but lets not forget, sludge is a huge culprit in car engines, sludge occurs from not changing ur oil frequently or a car that is driven for very short distances,.....a sludged engine will overheat,consume fuel and finally fail

(1) (Reply)

What Causes The Clutch In A Car To Burn (for Newbies) / Honda CR-V Vs Honda Pilot? [PHOTOS] / Recommended Spark Plugs For Toyota Camry 2002 V6 3.0L(BIG DADDY)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.