Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,702 members, 7,979,378 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 07:31 AM

Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! (17406 Views)

PHCN Official Electrocuted On A Pole At Police College In Lagos (Photos) / Buhari's Portrait Hung On A Pole In Cameroon (Photo) / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by nfnf: 7:38pm On Aug 16, 2012
[color=#000000][/color]The MAJOR ISSUE with Nigeria/Nigerians is the mind set. Our mind needs to be renewed. Everything goes, yet we expect the best to happen. Everyone needs to be schooled again to know what is wrong. Nigeria needs a total reorientatation. Buhari and Idiagbon introduced that in the 90's but Babangida kicked them out. Sorry to say but the truth is that building infrastructures in Nigeria without people having the right attitude to make things work amount to nothing. Power supply has improved. Kudos to the people that make it happen. How do we sustain and improve it with our mind set...this is scary.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by henrychubayo: 8:03pm On Aug 16, 2012
When there are no power supply, these very group will complain more than others, but now that power is improving, the can't pay and want to cheat govt. Sometimes, it does not pay to cheat others. If you refuse to pay, where will govt get money to make the gas available to power station? My ppl, if you see such ones, make a good report but don't include your name. We must make things work how its suppose to be.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Onyenna(m): 8:07pm On Aug 16, 2012
It's a shame......
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 8:07pm On Aug 16, 2012
mesef: There's new development in Lagos since PHCN stabilized electricity...Lagosians especially around the mainland,are beginning to connect their electricity directly to the wire poles because they feel they exhaust their meter card too quickly and they do not want to buy the meter recharge cards again!!just imagine!!

Its so sad that we quick judge and chastise the govt and authorities but we forget to start the discipline from ourselves and our environs...

Its sad and disheartening!
It is time the power suppliers start passing cables underground to avoid Nigerians criminal mindedness. I can't imagine why people would like to have power for free and expect constant supply. Many would come around here ranting about the government failure to provide stable electricity yet contribute to the problems. Such criminal-minded people should be arrested and made to face the wraths of the law.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by miky(m): 8:11pm On Aug 16, 2012
omosexy1:

Nigerians always looking for who to blame.....

the irony about it is that, he doesn't realize that those vandalizing the power lines are creating havoc for him..he pays more but receives less,, or he can join them too and vandalize.. then no body gets power great idea grin grin grin grin grin grin thats the dark continent for u undecided undecided
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by okooyinbo(m): 8:13pm On Aug 16, 2012
A lot of you just come on here to abuse people and condem them even without an iota of evidence. You all are in no way better than the alleged illegal electricity tappers. Atleast, the OP has to provide evidence to back up her allegation. That would also help to direct the matter to the appropriate agencies. Your constant blabbing and the stupid wishing of Boko Haram on LAGOS does not help the matter at all. Grow up children.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by SkyBlue1: 8:16pm On Aug 16, 2012
quest003:
plz i'll like to knw wat you mean by "let us not develop into india"
India might have become flavour of the month during the past few years with western countries singing tune of 'it is developing'. But it is not a country I hope Nigeria will ever aspire to. It is very corrupt, and this whole power tapping is quite common on the cities. In its own way, it added to the blackout a few weeks ago that plunged about half a billion people who did have acess to some sort of power into darkness. We have many examples to aspire to, let us not make India one (personal opinion). Clear now?

Omexonomy:
in asmuch i apreciate what you have said.
what might be a reasonable price to you and the PHCN might not be a reasonable price to other people with different earnings

So who decides the "reasonable price"? I just want us to stop deceiving ourselves by rousing uneccesary sentiment, many people who commit such crimes can afford to pay the bill. Or is tapping done for free? Nigerian society has a history of taking short cuts. That is why those who can, will do whatever because they know they can bribe their way out. This isn't a purely poverty issue, this is indiscipline. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Clemzy16(m): 8:22pm On Aug 16, 2012
It's called bi-passing. We're all guilty. No cause for alarm.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by SkyBlue1: 8:24pm On Aug 16, 2012
Wallyg2009: Thats nigeria for u.we are the smartest people on earth due to bad government policies.

I will very strongly like to challange this attitude. What on earth is the point of being individually "smart" when we are not able to improve our collective lives? Please, please do tell. We are "smart" but we have power outages, bad roads, poor health service, a poor educational system, insecurity, do I go on?

It is just sad that some people can't see a connection between this our touted "wise guy" selfish and individualistic behaviour, and the state of things. But hey don't worry, we are all very wise and smart at least. Smarter than anybody else in the world.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by okooyinbo(m): 8:27pm On Aug 16, 2012
Clemzy16: It's called bi-passing. We're all guilty. No cause for alarm.

Dont mind them. A lot of them making mouth do it in different ways. And beside, the op has not seen it neccessary to provide evidence or to report the matter to the appropriate authorities.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by SkyBlue1: 8:37pm On Aug 16, 2012
okooyinbo:

Dont mind them. A lot of them making mouth do it in different ways. And beside, the op has not seen it neccessary to provide evidence or to report the matter to the appropriate authorities.

Wether people do it or not DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT! I don't even know how we even think sometimes. What kind of silly excuse is that? With that sort of dumb reasoning, then many Nigerians should stop complaining about corruption in government and looking to change things since many Nigerians have bribed police. So what do we do then? Fold our hands and continue accepting it as our lot? Gosh!
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Reference(m): 8:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
greaterlove:
You got it all right my brother, reading some of the post here has really made me so angry, why are we so myopic in this country. The same nigerians who are complaining that they want steady power supply are the ones who will destroy it. Why can't people just do the right thing for goodness sake, are we this lawless?

My dear. Am just tired of my reprobate country men. Is it you or I thoughtless of foreigners that will invest in this situation and will we not pay a heavy premium in subsidies for power pirates and their vandal comrades in arms.

Tommorrow these folks will find themselves in positions of authority. Will the outcome be any different. Sick people.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by ektbear: 8:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Hehehe. Robin Hood philosophy.
Though you can't blame the people. Truth be told, you cannot misgovern people for so long, and turn around to tell them, oh you guys are so badly behaved, or: now I'll provide the service but you must now pay a premium for it.

The best way to fix thing isn't to start taxing the people across board. Tax the well-off in Nigeria, make them pay for infrastructure. Supply the infrastructure to the less-privileged, subsidize their living.

Well, they will ultimately be the ones to suffer for it.

Btw, what is the argument for something like electricity to be subsidized through taxation? What is wrong with people paying market rates for it?

If the rich should pay for electricity, shouldn't they also pay for bread, meat, rice, etc?
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by fstranger8: 8:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
AjanleKoko:

Hehehe. Robin Hood philosophy.
Though you can't blame the people. Truth be told, you cannot misgovern people for so long, and turn around to tell them, oh you guys are so badly behaved, or: now I'll provide the service but you must now pay a premium for it.

The best way to fix thing isn't to start taxing the people across board. Tax the well-off in Nigeria, make them pay for infrastructure. Supply the infrastructure to the less-privileged, subsidize their living.

Encourage laziness, abi and punish rich people like me who have no hand in their misery. Why work when you can get it for free. Ajanlekoko, I always knew you were dumb, only able to parrot things you see on TV without understanding it, however, this takes the cake.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Reference(m): 8:59pm On Aug 16, 2012
Clemzy16: It's called bi-passing. We're all guilty. No cause for alarm.

No Sir, we don't all do that. I pay my bills and learn to live without what I cannot afford. Early risers will observe massive waste of electricity because it remains relatively cheap and many do not pay for it. Every shop and peppermint kiosk has a high energy filament burning throughout the night while transformers overload. Why won't these folks cut corners. Will they dare run a generator overnight just to illuminate their shop fronts.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 16, 2012
fstranger8:

Encourage laziness, abi and punish rich people like me who have no hand in their misery. Why work when you can get it for free. Ajanlekoko, I always knew you were dumb, only able to parrot things you see on TV without understanding it, however, this takes the cake.
It is right not to encourage laziness on one hand.On the other hand, it is right to assist the poor to better life.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Fhemmmy: 9:08pm On Aug 16, 2012
People needs to be careful, better to do it right and stay alive
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
[b]This act is just so wrong and should not be pardoned one bit, and I love the way Nigerians are rising up to condemn this evil, even in schools, offices and market places.
In April this year, PHCN disconnected our street of 42 buildings for over two weeks without notification, upon enquiry, we were told that they discovered so many illegal connections and meter by-passes, hence the need to disconnect the entire street to serve as punishment for all. After much appeal, and of-course, settlement, they re-connected us. So the Street Association passed a resolution signed by all Landlords/Building Reps and supported by the Police that any building found with illegal connection during routine or impromptu inspections by the Street special task-force, would be disconnected from the pole for one whole month and fined N50,000. Since then, that MADNESS has STOPPED.
We must rise up to our collective responsibilities and realise we are all stake holders in this thing and not just to leave everything for the Govt to handle. WE MUST MOVE FORWARD whether some people like it or not.
God Bless Nigeria![/b]

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Ninapha(f): 9:26pm On Aug 16, 2012
okooyinbo:

u are d evidence we need. Report urself to d appropriate authorities for thinkn this way.

Many pple hv testified it happens and u stll need evidence or are u sayn d poster shd bring the person and his ladder to NL. Na wah oo.
I hv witnessed it severally within bornu way, M/M way and almost every street in ebutte metta. Even tapping from d railway quarters. U still need evidence? U are !
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Tunad15: 9:29pm On Aug 16, 2012
if light shock tna nko.....na wa 4 we lagosians
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by SkyBlue1: 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2012
Gabbysky: This act is just so wrong and should not be pardoned one bit, and I love the way Nigerians are rising up to condemn this evil, even in schools, offices and market places.
In April this year, PHCN disconnected our street of 42 buildings for over two weeks without notification, upon enquiry, we were told that they discovered so many illegal connections and meter by-passes, hence the need to disconnect the entire street to serve as punishment for all. After much appeal, and of-course, settlement, they re-connected us. So the Street Association passed a resolution signed by all Landlords/Building Reps and supported by the Police that any building found with illegal connection during routine or impromptu inspections by the Street special task-force, would be disconnected from the pole for one whole month and fined N50,000. Since then, that MADNESS has STOPPED.
We must rise up to our collective responsibilities and realise we are all stake holders in this thing and not just to leave everything for the Govt to handle. WE MUST MOVE FORWARD whether some people like it or not.
God Bless Nigeria!

I really admire that collectivism and the action it resulted to. We need more of it.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by lukkie(m): 9:36pm On Aug 16, 2012
Can you use Glo/MTN/Etisalat network without paying? NO!

It's left for the new private owners of PHCN successor companies to deal with it. If they want their investments to go to waste, so be it. This is not even newsworthy. Abeg i have better things to worry about.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
this is why i say the problem with Nigeria is not government, The problem with Nigeria is NIGERIANS!!. The government of any country is nothing but a reflection of the people of that country as they embody the general mentality and morals of the populace. Stop omplaining about government if your mentality and behaviour suggest you would act the same way if u get into their position! change in Nigeria must start from the bottom to the top!
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Deiok(m): 9:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
Gabbysky: [b]This act is just so wrong and should not be pardoned one bit, and I love the way Nigerians are rising up to condemn this evil, even in schools, offices and market places.
God Bless Nigeria![/b]
i like your matured comment . It goes to show we still have few responsible nigerians.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Nobody: 10:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
Thank God I don't have prepaid meter! I just give the yeye nepa guys 500 naira every month ending when they come for disconnection. undecided
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by abhosts(m): 10:49pm On Aug 16, 2012
As someone that understands the Nigerian Psyche well, I knew that the prepaid meter Introduction was not a good idea, as it would lead to a lot of revenue loss for PHCN.

Even neighboring countries like Benin and Togo are very discipline when it comes to electricity consumption. But Nigerians would prefer to cheat so they can freely use their 4000 watts 1970s Air Conditioners and Electric Hotplates.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by gabbytabby: 10:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
Nigerians for you. As a landlord I spent close to 250k to get light into the house meter and all 100k for transformer, 36k to connect to pole and over 100k for meter, processing and connection guess what the cretins tenants did. As a community we need to stand up and shame such behaviour as these are the enemies of progress.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by felifeli: 11:03pm On Aug 16, 2012
mesef: There's new development in Lagos since PHCN stabilized electricity...Lagosians especially around the mainland,are beginning to connect their electricity directly to the wire poles because they feel they exhaust their meter card too quickly and they do not want to buy the meter recharge cards again!!just imagine!!

Its so sad that we quick judge and chastise the govt and authorities but we forget to start the discipline from ourselves and our environs...

Its sad and disheartening!
Pictures ? Or are you also one of them >
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by AjanleKoko: 11:15pm On Aug 16, 2012
fstranger8:

Still struggling with your multiple personality disorder, I see undecided
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by ektbear: 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2012
I can't wait until the whole thing is privatized. If you steal from someone's private business, they will take measures to catch and punish you. But if you steal from what I guess is public property, then nobody cares.

Reliable electricity will not exist in this country until privatization is complete, it seems.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by 360command: 11:41pm On Aug 16, 2012
Emylexray: This is animalistic, if PHCN had deprived them of power, they would have roamed the streets of lagos chanting vulgar songs of unpatriotic lyrics here and there, now they have it at their disposal and can't appreciate it.
This is so bad and very dangerous as it could lead to fire outbreak thereby causing loss of lives. Power supply has immensly improve no doubt, we hope it continues like this.

are u sure that power has improved ? please let me know cause i always call home on weekly bases and they tell me the situation is still the same at is. I can endure whatever problems Nigeria is having but i cannot endure the fact that they are switching off power on a daily bases.

I was in Burkina Faso on visit like 2 months back, it amazed me that they did not blinked a single light.even in bad places of ouga, light they steady-This is a country they say is the poorest countries in Africa yet they have constant light.
Re: Lagosians Tapping Electricity Direct From Pole!! by Daresh(f): 11:45pm On Aug 16, 2012
Ppl can try energy saving methods

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obiano Launches Anambra Daily Road Sweepers, 300 Employed / Stop Heating Up The Polity, Okowa Tells Oshiomole / FIRS Generates 5 Trillion Naira Tax In Six Months-Highest Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.