Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,132 members, 7,973,819 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 07:59 AM

What Web Programming Language Do You Use And Why? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Web Programming Language Do You Use And Why? (810 Views)

Understanding What Web Hosting And Reseller Web Hosting Is All About / Which Programming Language Do Yahoo, Gmail And Hotmail Used / What Web App Have You Created (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Web Programming Language Do You Use And Why? by ThePhantom(m): 7:23am On Dec 24, 2007
I have read a few posts here and I have seen where people hate on PHP or ASP or think people who use them are not on top of there game. I want to throw this out there to find out what web languages you using in developing site and why.
Re: What Web Programming Language Do You Use And Why? by my2cents(m): 11:56am On Dec 24, 2007
on my side projects:
PHP - easy to pick up and since I intend on setting up shop in naija, I figured I'd learn it as it is the language du jour in naija and I wanted to speak their language, so to speak.

at work:
GWT and JSP - they are powerful and can do a lot of things. Some pple argue that PHP is coming of age. This could be true but too many major corporations hv invested in JSP to just up and switch to PHP. I must confess that I don't know the pros and cons myself so I will not comment any further.
Re: What Web Programming Language Do You Use And Why? by DualCore1: 8:59am On Dec 28, 2007
i use JSP cuz presently itz all about JAVA for me, i'm presently learning C# anyway, yours truly i dont know much about ASP but it doesn't trip me so i dont use it. PHP will continue to grow.
Re: What Web Programming Language Do You Use And Why? by Nobody: 1:22am On Jan 04, 2008
I started web designing when perl and asp were still in vogue. Then, you can get free perl to use on sites like tripod [when i started learning]. Since i also program with visual basic and vbscript well, i picked up asp easily.
When i got a my first website several years back, my client got a site from signonafrica which does not support asp but supports perl and php. I still managed to do the job. My next job then too was on another server using perl and php again. Unfortunately for me, after completing the project in perl, i uploaded but the server was not executing my perl, and i was already very close to the deadline. Out of panic, i downloaded some php materials and started learning on the job and converting my scripts almost directly from perl to php.
At that point, i now discovered that php was simpler than perl. To my surprise, i found myself now liking php better than asp [which is more of my native lang since i am a microsoft vb programmer]. Up till now, despite being able to use asp, and asp. NET, i still prefer to stick to php [since by now i have a huge php library, and most of my best web projects are based on php], i only use asp and asp.NET on request or when i am working with someone who use those languages.

(1) (Reply)

Onlie Sms / Website Access / Calling All Wapmasters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.