Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,996 members, 7,890,258 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:48 AM

Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? (913 Views)

Did Adam And Eve Have Bellybuttons? / Christians:What Fruit Did Adam And Eve Eat Inside The Garden Of Eden? / Before The Advent Of Sin, Did Adam And Eve Know How To Procreate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Aug 17, 2012
We all know the story of the disobedience and punishment of adam nd eve, but the question is, DID THEY REALLY DESERVE ALL THAT hardship that would even resonate to their descendants? Basically, God created them without critical thinking or reasoning abilities i.e they didn't know the difference between what was right and wrong, good and bad (gen 2vs17). It could be deducted that they reasoned like children and had no deep thoughts about anything. In short they were gullible. Therefore it was no surprise that the devil could deceive them (although to me he was merely saying the bitter truth: gen 3vs5). But then God comes along and gives them this banging punishment like they were responsible for the september 11 bombings. Now disobedience is a sin right? And to commit sin is BAD? Now how in the world could they have deserned that it was bad when they had no ''knowledge of good and evil''? When he had created them to be so guillible, so blind and not know right from wrong? Or will someone come and say ''knowledge of good and evil'' means something else::/:/:/. Nigerians, lets start using our brains and making progress away from this borrowed religion.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 18, 2012
stop criticizing the bible, if you don't want to read keep it. you are a muslim why not read your qoran
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by OmoAlata(f): 1:00am On Aug 18, 2012
A child doesn't know left from right. You tell the child, "don't touch this. If you do, you will be smacked" and they touch it, so you smack them. Next time, they'll learn.

“You are free to eat from any tree in the garden but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.” Simple instruction which they disobeyed and God couldn't spare the rod wink
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by frank317: 1:51am On Aug 18, 2012
splendidb20: stop criticizing the bible, if you don't want to read keep it. you are a muslim why not read your qoran

Umm Christians still criticise d quoran. Its a two thing. Stop playing d victim game
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by frank317: 1:57am On Aug 18, 2012
Omo Alata: A child doesn't know left from right. You tell the child, "don't touch this. If you do, you will be smacked" and they touch it, so you smack them. Next time, they'll learn.

“You are free to eat from any tree in the garden but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.” Simple instruction which they disobeyed and God couldn't spare the rod wink

So what did Adam and eve learn from d punishment God gave Dem? What lesson did they get from it. They and their unborn children were cursed and that was d beginin of more sin to come.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by danwo: 9:39am On Aug 18, 2012
inurmind:

We all know the story of the disobedience and punishment of adam nd eve,

but the question is, DID THEY REALLY DESERVE ALL THAT hardship that would even resonate to their descendants?

Basically, God created them without critical thinking or reasoning abilities

i.e they didn't know the difference between what was right and wrong, good and bad (gen 2vs17).

It could be deducted that they reasoned like children and had no deep thoughts about anything.

In short they were gullible. Therefore it was no surprise that the devil could deceive them (although to me he was merely saying the bitter truth: gen 3vs5).

But then God comes along and gives them this banging punishment like they were responsible for the september 11 bombings.

Now disobedience is a sin right? And to commit sin is BAD? Now how in the world could they have deserned that it was bad when they had no ''knowledge of good and evil''?

When he had created them to be so guillible, so blind and not know right from wrong?

Or will someone come and say ''knowledge of good and evil'' means something else::/:/:/.

Nigerians, lets start using our brains and making progress away from this borrowed religion.

Omo Alata:

A child doesn't know left from right. You tell the child, "don't touch this. If you do, you will be smacked" and they touch it, so you smack them. Next time, they'll learn.

@inurmind

You made a misinformed deduction

Adam was a grown man. He and Eve were not made childish

Adam and Eve did not gradually change physically or progress to maturity as a child would do

Adam was imparted with enough information by God to make an informed decision whether or not to choose to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good or evil

Notice to start with, Adam is specifically singled out here

Adam had thinking or reasoning abilities, contrary to popular belief and your assumption that ". . . God created them without critical thinking or reasoning abilities . . ."

Adam was subjected to an accelerated learning process or program, which purposeful was to allow him to think and make reflective judgment(s) concerning what to believe or what not to believe.

God taught Adam well and well enough, no surprises here; Adam had the best teacher at his disposal to thow questions at.

inurmind, here are a few posers for you.

Ruminate them in-your-mind

Poser #1:
How did Adam come about telling Eve or why did Adam tell Eve that touching the fruit will cause death, when what God said was eating of the fruit will cause death (i.e. God did not say touching will cause death)

Poser #2:
What ability was Eve using or exercising when she was romanticizing with justifications the idea to eat the fruit?

Adam knew the implication of eating the fruit, this is why he put "a grill by the fireplace" for Eve, to prevent her getting burnt.

Adam went beyond and above his call of duty by adding to his undestanding, a deterrent for Eve, that touching the fruit will cause death.

This was to discourage her from eating the fruit or entertaining any ideas concerning the fruit.

The evidences on ground shows Adam exercising critical thinking, Eve with information obtained from Adam and she later exercising reasoning abilities

"The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden,

but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'
"
- Genesis 3:2-3

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it."
- Genesis 3:6

Another evidence shows Adam, was not deceived, unlike Eve (i.e. Adam did not believe the devil but opted or wilfully decided to go along with Eve)

"Then the LORD God asked the woman, "What have you done?" "The serpent deceived me," she replied. "That's why I ate it.""

"And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."
- 1 Timothy 2:14

What was lacking here or took for granted was questioning

Questions are intended to increase your critical thinking capacity

Eve could have questioned the devil. Eve could have questioned Adam who was beside her with a "Is what the devil saying true? ..."

The moment Adam decided to eat the fruit, he had his comeuppance, death and all that comes with it

From that moment onwards and now, Job 2:10 below rings true

"But he said unto her,
You speak as one of the foolish women speaks.
What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil?
In all this did not Job sin with his lips.
"
- Job 2:10

Bottom line, Adam was not gullible, was not blind etc

He chose to die, he also chose to participate, to personally and actively experience good and evil for reasons best known to him

"Or will someone come and say ''knowledge of good and evil'' means something else undecided undecided undecided " - Yes, this is about experiencing a dualism

No diggity Adam had all the information in the world about good and evil but it was the opportunity or thrill of experiencing (i.e. to participate in or be involved with good and evil) good and evil that got the better of him.

1 Like

Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by ITSOLUTIONS: 9:58am On Aug 18, 2012
danwo:

@inurmind

Adam and Eve did not gradually change physically or progress to maturity as a child would do

Adam was imparted with enough information by God to make an informed decision whether or not to choose to eat the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good or evil

Adam had thinking or reasoning abilities, contrary to popular belief and your assumption that ". . . God created them without critical thinking or reasoning abilities . . ."

Adam was subjected to an accelerated learning process or program, which purposeful was to allow him to think and make reflective judgment(s) concerning what to believe or what not to believe.

God taught Adam well and well enough, no surprises here; Adam had the best teacher at his disposal to thow questions at.

Poser #1:
How did Adam come about telling Eve or why did Adam tell Eve that touching the fruit will cause death, when what God said was eating of the fruit will cause death (i.e. God did not say touching will cause death)

Poser #2:
What ability was Eve using or exercising when she was romanticizing with justifications the idea to eat the fruit?

Adam knew the implication of eating the fruit, this is why he put "a grill by the fireplace" for Eve, to prevent her getting burnt.

Adam went beyond and above his call of duty by adding to his undestanding, a deterrent for Eve, that touching the fruit will cause death.

This was to discourage her from eating the fruit or entertaining any ideas concerning the fruit.

The evidences on ground shows Adam exercising critical thinking, Eve with information obtained from Adam and she later exercising reasoning abilities

but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'
"

"When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it."

Another evidence shows Adam, was not deceived, unlike Eve (i.e. Adam did not believe the devil but opted or wilfully decided to go along with Eve)

"Then the LORD God asked the woman, "What have you done?" "The serpent deceived me," she replied. "That's why I ate it.""

"And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression."

Eve could have questioned the devil. Eve could have questioned Adam who was beside her with a "Is what the devil saying true? ..."

The moment Adam decided to eat the fruit, he had his comeuppance, death and all that comes with it

"But he said unto her,
"

He chose to die, he also chose to participate, to personally and actively experience good and evil for reasons best known to him

"Or will someone come and say ''knowledge of good and evil'' means something else :/:/:/ " - Yes, this is about experiencing a dualism

No diggity Adam had all the information in the world about good and evil but it was the opportunity or thrill of experiencing (i.e. to participate in or be involved with good and evil) good and evil that got the better of him.

good analogy. But this doesnt explain the reason for the so much suffering in the world today. My own question would be, why was the tree there in the first place?
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by danwo: 10:09am On Aug 18, 2012
danwo:

@inurmind

Poser #1:

Poser #2:

"

"But he said unto her,
"

"Or will someone come and say ''knowledge of good and evil'' means something else undecided undecided undecided " - Yes, this is about experiencing a dualism

ITSOLUTIONS:

good analogy.
But this doesnt explain the reason for the so much suffering in the world today.

My own question would be, why was the tree there in the first place?

@ITSOLUTIONS

For the first one - This is the legacy from the thrill of wanting to be an involved participant and active in dispersing good and evil

For the second one - Why not?.

That was how the cookie crumbled. He who pays the piper calls the tune so was this decision by God to place the tree there beside an alternative Tree of Life.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by CrazyMan(m): 10:18am On Aug 18, 2012
inurmind: We all know the story of the disobedience and punishment of adam nd eve, but the question is, DID THEY REALLY DESERVE ALL THAT hardship that would even resonate to their descendants? Basically, God created them without critical thinking or reasoning abilities i.e they didn't know the difference between what was right and wrong, good and bad (gen 2vs17). It could be deducted that they reasoned like children and had no deep thoughts about anything. In short they were gullible. Therefore it was no surprise that the devil could deceive them (although to me he was merely saying the bitter truth: gen 3vs5). But then God comes along and gives them this banging punishment like they were responsible for the september 11 bombings. Now disobedience is a sin right? And to commit sin is BAD? Now how in the world could they have deserned that it was bad when they had no ''knowledge of good and evil''? When he had created them to be so guillible, so blind and not know right from wrong? Or will someone come and say ''knowledge of good and evil'' means something else::/:/:/. Nigerians, lets start using our brains and making progress away from this borrowed religion.
God gave them a simple instruction, and they disobeyed him. How else could he have tested their loyality towards him?

I believe they deserved the punishment he gave them.
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by FMK(m): 12:44pm On Aug 18, 2012
splendidb20: stop criticizing the bible, if you don't want to read keep it. you are a muslim why not read your qoran

among qu'aram and bible no one is right because both are stories no one was there when god said to adam to eat the apple or not to eat the apple so you are killing your time to discover the hidden mysteries grin cheesy
Re: Did Adam And Eve Even Warrant The Punishment They Got? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2012

(1) (Reply)

The Not So Secret Rapture / US Anti-islam Filmmaker Nakoula Basseley Nakoula Jailed / Why I Can't Stop Telling People About Hell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.