Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,198 members, 7,910,261 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 11:41 PM

The "REAL" Hausa - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The "REAL" Hausa (160553 Views)

Learn How To Speak Hausa Here / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by LisbonForeigner: 4:48pm On Dec 30, 2016
DanZubair:
Here is collection of hausa folklores written in english http://www.sacred-texts.com/afr/hausa/

Thank you a million times. I read all of them but did not find any mention to "Burtuntuna". Do you know this particular story? Have you ever heard of it?

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by DanZubair(m): 11:23pm On Dec 30, 2016
LisbonForeigner:

Thank you a million times. I read all of them but did not find any mention to "Burtuntuna". Do you know this particular story? Have you ever heard of it?

Thanks!

Good.
No sir, but I will ask for you.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by LisbonForeigner: 11:17am On Jan 03, 2017
DanZubair:

Good.
No sir, but I will ask for you.

Thank you very much! I am waiting for your reply!
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by DanZubair(m): 10:17am On Jan 24, 2017
LisbonForeigner:

Thank you very much! I am waiting for your reply!
I have asked the BabaAbu who questioned some grey haired for me but they said there is no any folktale relating to the word burtuntuni, rather they gave out the meaning of the word. According to my definition, they said that burtuntuni is hausa word for guinea corn flower.

I will keep on asking till i got it story, there are some grey haired, Tsoho ka'biya at birnin lalle, Tsohuwa Dije and others that i will ask, they might be a story that the word was linked
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by jesuisroya: 10:09pm On May 27, 2017
Hello, Nice page and discussion: Kudos to the original poster.
Please do you have any page on the history/role/evolution of hausa women in the hausa nations?
THanks a lot.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Mlle: 12:46pm On Jun 12, 2017
I once saw on a website that Hausas live inside of these tiny houses pictured, could you please give some incite on that and why someone would make such an assumption?
PAGAN9JA:
Hausa granary.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Mlle: 8:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
Fulaman198:

There is no one that hates the term "Hausa-Fulani" more than me, trust me. You are either Hausa or you are Fulani. Unless.......

You have a father who is Hausa and a mother who is Fulani (or vice-versa) but even then in Nigeria you won't be labelled as Hausa-Fulani).
What if you had Hausa and Fulani ancestry and you desired to respect them both what would you be called? Do you just choose for yourself or does it matter what tribe your father is from? If you choose to embrace your Fulani ancestry does that mean that you have automatically disavowed from your Hausa family or vice-versa?
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Mlle: 8:41pm On Jun 12, 2017
PAGAN9JA:

I disagree with that. There is no connection. I would believe if he said Bayanjidda came from Chad. but Ethiopia is impossible. some of the stories have been twisted with like all stories.

Pagan, do elaborate. Couldn't the Hausas have migrated to Western Africa, couldn't East Africa had been larger, spanning more into Central and North Africa, or couldn't West Africa have been larger and thus closer to East Africa? Do elaborate.
smiley
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by mujaheed08(m): 2:29pm On Jun 21, 2017
I am Hausa, but all these information spreaded by pagan, come on this is poison
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by HadizaToo: 8:20pm On Dec 03, 2017
PAGAN9JA:
Priestesses of the Bori religion, Hausa country.

Bori religion (Hausa City Paganism):

Bori is a traditional animistic religion of the Hausa people of West Africa which involves spiritual possession.

Bòòríí is a Hausa noun, meaning the spiritual force which resides in physical things, and is related to the word for local distilled alcohol (borassa) as well the practice of medicine (boka).The Bori religion is both an institution to control these forces, and the performance of an "adoricism" (as opposed to exorcism) ritual, dance and music by which these spirits are controlled and by which illness is healed.

An aspect of the traditional Maguzawa Hausa religious traditions, Bori became a state religion led by ruling class priestesses amongst some of the late pre-colonial Hausa States. Islam, present in Hausaland since the 14th century, was largely restricted to the region's rulers and their courts at the beginning of the 19th century. Rural areas generally retained their animist beliefs and their urban leaders thus drew on both Islamic and African traditions to legitimise their rule: the Bori spirit possession priestesses were one such mechanism. Priestesses communed with spirits through ecstatic dance ritual, hoping to guide and maintain the state's ruling houses. A corps of Bori priestesses and their helpers was led by royal priestess, titled the "Inna", or "Mother of us all". The Inna oversaw this network, which was not only responsible for protecting society from malevolent forces through possession dances, but which provided healing and divination throughout the kingdom.

Bori possession rituals survived in the Hausa refugee states such as Konni and Dogondutchi (in what is today southern Niger) and in some rural areas of Nigerian Hausaland. The powerful advisory roles of women, exemplified in the Bori priestesses, either disappeared or were transferred to Muslim women in scholarly, educational, and community leadership roles. British and French colonialism, though, offered little space for women in the official hierarchies of indirect rule, and the formal roles, like the Bori, for women in governance largely disappeared by the mid 20th century.

In modern Muslim Hausaland, Bori ritual survives in some places assimilated into syncretic practices. The pre-Muslim "babbaku" spirits of the Maguzaci have been added to over time with “Muslim” spirits ("farfaru"wink, and spirits of (or representing) other ethnic groups, even those of the European colonialists. The healing and "luck" aspects of Bori members performances, almost entirely women, give new social roles for their rituals and practitioners.Bori ritual societies, separated from governing structures, provide a powerful corporate identity for the women who belong to them through the practice of traditional healing, as well as through the performance of Bori festival like the girka initiation ritual.

Today, after the estrangement of Bori Religion from the Ruling class, since most rulers are Fulani, Bori Religion is practiced by independant Hausa women privately without assistance from rulers..

I want to learn from you
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by sisisioge: 8:54pm On Dec 03, 2017
Hello my people. I'm so glad I found you at last. Please I would love to learn the hausa language via an audio medium. Please drop links where I could download audio teachers for the language please. Many thanks, na go de.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by babtoundey(m): 8:21pm On Dec 04, 2017
This is wonderful and as well beautiful. Hausas, the real Hausas, are Africans. I used to have this belief within me that there is not much African about them judging from their dressing, dominant religion and even language that always sounds Arabic to me. Sometimes I felt there is little difference between their language, music and culture and that of the Arabs.

But how come little or nothing of all these exist today?

And the dressing of the Bori priestess is very similar to that of priestesses of Osun in Yoruba land.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 9:09pm On Dec 04, 2017
babtoundey:
This is wonderful and as well beautiful. Hausas, the real Hausas, are Africans. I used to have this belief within me that there is not much African about them judging from their dressing, dominant religion and even language that always sounds Arabic to me. Sometimes I felt there is little difference between their language, music and culture and that of the Arabs.

And the dressing of the Bori priestess is very similar to that of priestesses of Osun in Yoruba land.

How do you define a "real African"? Because Fyi, Africa is not a monolith like many of you uneducated people think.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by babtoundey(m): 7:14am On Dec 05, 2017
Fulaman198:

How do you define a "real African"? Because Fyi, Africa is not a monolith like many of you uneducated people think.

Mr. EDUCATION, I guess in your educated opinion, Africans are not different from Europeans.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 7:39pm On Dec 06, 2017
babtoundey:

Mr. EDUCATION, I guess in your educated opinion, Africans are not different from Europeans.

Who said anything about Africans being Europeans. We are quite different culturally from Europeans, however not all Africans have the same culture. Africa is far more diverse than Europe.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by googi: 10:10pm On Dec 06, 2017
Mr. Education, you sound uninformed.

Hausa are Africans related and similar to their neighbors compared to Fulani or Arab. If you do not understand that after all these information, you need your colo-mentality checked

Fulaman198:

Who said anything about Africans being Europeans. We are quite different culturally from Europeans, however not all Africans have the same culture. Africa is far more diverse than Europe.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 11:10pm On Dec 06, 2017
googi:
Mr. Education, you sound uninformed.

Hausa are Africans related and similar to their neighbors compared to Fulani or Arab. If you do not understand that after all these information, you need your colo-mentality checked

I'm sorry, but you sound uninformed. Traditional Hausa culture is quite different from tradtional Fulani culture. Hausaunke are Farmers tradtionally whereas Fulbe tradtionally are Herdsmen. Diets are also different. In Fulani culture, you have Kossam e lacciri, Gawri e Kossam, etc. etc. Hausa don't have such a diet.

African culture is very vast and different. Even in other countries, Fulani may have a different diet (point in case the Haal'pulaaren of Senegal/Mauritania who are mainly Fishermen).

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by googi: 12:30am On Dec 07, 2017
Mr. Education,

You are totally off the point. Read what Babtoundey is trying to convey again.

Hausa are more like their brothers and sister around them than like Fulani, the invaders!

Got it?

babtoundey:

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 2:24am On Dec 07, 2017
googi:
Mr. Education,

Hausa are more like their brothers and sister around them than like Fulani, the invaders!

Got it?

You and Batoundey are one in the same, you have the exact same writing style. If you simply do not understand what I'm saying, perhaps you should pick up a book.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by googi: 3:11am On Dec 07, 2017
Oh yeah?

I think your real problem is you are one of those Fulani wannabe ready to throw your brothers and sisters under the bus, sorry, under the bridge.

lipsrsealed
Fulaman198:

You and Batoundey are one in the same, you have the exact same writing style. If you simply do not understand what I'm saying, perhaps you should pick up a book.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Fulaman198(m): 4:09pm On Dec 07, 2017
googi:
Oh yeah?

I think your real problem is you are one of those Fulani wannabe ready to throw your brothers and sisters under the bus, sorry, under the bridge.

lipsrsealed

You obviously don't know how to read. When you get better reading skills let me know. Hausa and Fulani are not the same thing. Anyone who thinks they are is uneducated and had no idea what they are talking about.

If you think all Africans are the same culturally, then I question if you are even African to begin with. All Africans know that Nigeria as a country alone has a plethora of cultures.

So do me a favour when you actually know what you are talking about, feel free to comment.
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by googi: 9:23pm On Dec 07, 2017
Mr. Education,

Can somebody please translate to this guy in Hausa or Fulani.

Where on earth did I write that Hausa and Fulani are the same?
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by babtoundey(m): 7:03am On Dec 08, 2017
[quote author=googi post=63048488]Mr. Education,

Got it?

[/quote

Knowing how to read is one thing, understanding what you read is another. It's ridiculous when someone who lacks knowledge about something attempts interpreting it. INTERPRETER, even though you will interpret anything, learn first to comprehend it (One comes before the other) or you keep making yourself sound like a four letters word Fo... (As you have just have just done)
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Sunymoore(m): 6:44pm On Dec 25, 2017
Interesting thread pagan9ja.. I'm Muslim, but I so much respect you for safeguarding your religion and culture.. You'll never get lost.. Keep up the good work..
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 25, 2017
Sunymoore:
Interesting thread pagan9ja.. I'm Muslim, but I so much respect you for safeguarding your religion and culture.. You'll never get lost.. Keep up the good work..

I'm all for preservation of culture but the man is a fraud. Hes been exposed as an imposter. Evidently not hausa but good thread though.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Sunymoore(m): 7:52pm On Dec 25, 2017
AlderFadington:

I'm all for preservation of culture but the man is a fraud. Hes been exposed as an imposter. Evidently not hausa but good thread though.
Ahh! I didn't know he's an imposter.. Good read sha.. Peace.

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Ikengawo: 3:53am On Dec 27, 2017
PAGAN9JA:
Kebbi-Argungu Durbar: Durbar involves about 500 horses, 120 camels, 1760 men and women dressed in traditional indigenous attires with resplendent colours and adornments that accentuated the rich culture of Argungu. Kings and Guards, Comedians and Commanders, Immams and Hausa Priests of the different sub-tribes took part side by side.

I want to thank you for introducing us to real Hausa culture. When I see this I see that were all African and one. Unfortunately we're fighting the same confusion caused by Abrahamic religion. I was under the impression that Hausa culture had been completely replaced with Islam and was unrecognizable from an African perspective .
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Ikengawo: 4:03am On Dec 27, 2017
Also don't confuse my sentiment with Fulamans 'were all the same' this thread had helped me identify the lesser seen Africanness of the Hausa culture. At the same time i see that it's something unique and special, and entirely different expression from my own.

Saying we're all the same is dismissing this. This helped me see real Hausa culture as something African and rich and in that I can connect it to my own Igbo culture. I really feel like it's a treasure under threat from Islamization as Christianity is to us. Only, sadly, Christianity is more premissive and the threat to Hausa culture is even greater than what we face because Christianity has no political structure like Islam in Nigeria
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Ikengawo: 4:12am On Dec 27, 2017
Fulaman198:

I know what he's saying. They type of violence and oppression fulani people believe is necessary for their survival is fundamental unafrican. This is why there are so many clashes. Hausa kingdoms were African their Islam was open and permissive like what you see with the Yoruba and in Senegal. They were the chief power for centuries and didnt turn this power against others. They were a source of unity and pride. People from all over africa came to Know to learn and trade.

After Dan Fodio hijacked this culture the decline started. The islam that was introduced was the brutal unforgiving and unafrican middle eastern one. This is when the bloodshed in the name of Islam started. This is when new ideas stopped coming from the city states. This is when people became weary to go there.

There's a disregard for human life that's uncommon in Africa. But when you hear of herdmen coming to someone farm and killing children at night because of a cow you wonder if this is still Africa. This is a very Eurasian way of behaving.

If not for this thread many of us would still attribute this to 'hausa' culture but I'm seeing that it's not.

African culture isn't perfect and has it's issues but someone from Ghana would have a hard time wrapping their heads around the affairs of Northern Nigeria. They have Hausa and they have Fula but they never had that culture killing jihad
Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Nobody: 5:43am On Dec 27, 2017
Ikengawo:

I know what he's saying. They type of violence and oppression fulani people believe is necessary for their survival is fundamental unafrican. This is why there are so many clashes. Hausa kingdoms were African their Islam was open and permissive like what you see with the Yoruba and in Senegal. They were the chief power for centuries and didnt turn this power against others. They were a source of unity and pride. People from all over africa came to Know to learn and trade.

After Dan Fodio hijacked this culture the decline started. The islam that was introduced was the brutal unforgiving and unafrican middle eastern one. This is when the bloodshed in the name of Islam started. This is when new ideas stopped coming from the city states. This is when people became weary to go there.
I strongly disagree, hausa kingdoms have been waging wars against each other throughout their existence for literally no reason at all. If anything the Fodios jihad brought relative peace to hausaland and was able to unite hausas under one umbrella.

As to your claim about the tolerance of hausa muslims or their extremities, i suggest you read up on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Santolo

Just one example.

There's a disregard for human life that's uncommon in Africa. But when you hear of herdmen coming to someone farm and killing children at night because of a cow you wonder if this is still Africa. This is a very Eurasian way of behaving.
What exactly does this mean?

If not for this thread many of us would still attribute this to 'hausa' culture but I'm seeing that it's not.
First of all you should know that the OP of this thread is not even hausa, i am yet to understand his motives but hes lying about who he is. As to what constitutes culture, traditional games or occupations are not what constitute culture, culture is a way of life and the way people handle their affairs in general. Something that still exists withing hausas today regardless of their religious affiliation.

African culture isn't perfect and has it's issues but someone from Ghana would have a hard time wrapping their heads around the affairs of Northern Nigeria. They have Hausa and they have Fula but they never had that culture killing jihad

1 Like

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Ikengawo: 6:55am On Dec 27, 2017
DevdanSanguine:

I strongly disagree, hausa kingdoms have been waging wars against each other throughout their existence for literally no reason at all. If anything the Fodios jihad brought relative peace to hausaland and was able to unite hausas under one umbrella.

As to your claim about the tolerance of hausa muslims or their extremities, i suggest you read up on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Santolo

Just one example.

First of all you should know that the OP of this thread is not even hausa, i am yet to understand his motives but hes lying about who he is. As to what constitutes culture, traditional games or occupations are not what constitute culture, culture is a way of life and the way people handle their affairs in general. Something that still exists withing hausas today regardless of their religious affiliation.

War is war. All cultures wage war. But to kill an entire village, while they're sleeping, particularly targeting women and children. And not one living man from the entire tribe stand up to say: that's wrong? In fact, governors have even openly celebrated it. Because of a cow? Sick.

Hausa's have been coming to Igbo land for thousands of years. There are markets all over Igbo/Efik/Ibibio (Biafra) land that are historical Hausa land settlements where Hausas came, traded and went home. Nobody died in the process. Middle belt too. We can act like this is universal but it's not, this is only coming from one group and it's not something other Africans can ever understand because that's just not African. This isn't war. How can you wage war with people that aren't fighting you, aren't awake, and aren't your enemy. Unfortunately the name 'hausa' has been attached to this and other foreign elements of Fulani culture.

Even Sanusi saying that Abacha, Babangida and others come from a 'lower culture'. This isn't how African's talk. Then when the 'higher culture' takes over Hausa land, the Hausa culture starts to decline. When white people would invade places and say they had a higher culture they at least brought technology and ideas. I don't understand a 'higher culture' that doesn't even have a language or single standing architectural structure to it's name, coming in and destroying the legacy of a culture that has done 200x more than it.

anyways, I'm not from the north, so it's not my business, but this tread has awaken the disappointed hausa man i didn't know was in me lol.

2 Likes

Re: The "REAL" Hausa by Nobody: 7:22am On Dec 27, 2017
Ikengawo:

War is war. All cultures wage war. But to kill an entire village, while they're sleeping, particularly targeting women and children. And not one living man from the entire tribe stand up to say: that's wrong? In fact, governors have even openly celebrated it. Because of a cow? Sick.
I dont know where you people get this narrative that fulanis do not criticize herdsmen when they massacre or attack people.

The sultan has spoken on various occasions, so has the president and many traditional rulers.

Hausa's have been coming to Igbo land for thousands of years. There are markets all over Igbo/Efik/Ibibio (Biafra) land that are historical Hausa land settlements where Hausas came, traded and went home. Nobody died in the process. Middle belt too. We can act like this is universal but it's not, this is only coming from one group and it's not something other Africans can ever understand because that's just not African. This isn't war. How can you wage war with people that aren't fighting you, aren't awake, and aren't your enemy. Unfortunately the name 'hausa' has been attached to this and other foreign elements of Fulani culture.
This is the first i am hearing of this and frankly the most ridiculous statement i have read on this forum and thats saying a lot.

Hausas have never had any contact with igbos until the brits came along. If such contact or trade existed there would have been cultural or social influences like that which can be found between hausas and yorubas albeit minimal. For instance, cavalry in yoruba land was introduced by the hausas, certain words are similar especially for items alien to yorubas that was introduced to them by hausas and then of course there is their fashion. Igbos however have no cultural similarities with us at all and have never been mentioned in any hausa manuscript. i wonder where these historical settlements you speak of are.

Even Sanusi saying that Abacha, Babangida and others come from a 'lower culture'. This isn't how African's talk. Then when the 'higher culture' takes over Hausa land, the Hausa culture starts to decline. When white people would invade places and say they had a higher culture they at least brought technology and ideas. I don't understand a 'higher culture' that doesn't even have a language or single standing architectural structure to it's name, coming in and destroying the legacy of a culture that has done 200x more than it.

anyways, I'm not from the north, so it's not my business, but this tread has awaken the disappointed hausa man i didn't know was in me lol.
LOL This emir like all northwest emirs does not speak fulfulde, lives by an administrative system created by hausa kings like Muhammad Rumfa, lives within the confines of hausa culture so what is this higher culture you speak of? There is nothing the fulanis brought to hausa civilization that was alien to them. So if he speaks of a higher culture, a statement i strongly denied he made then he must have meant something else.

And BTW in case you didnt know, Abacha was a kanuri originally from borno, the fulanis have never conquered the kanuris.

Babangida is nupe/gbagyi (possibly yoruba) from Niger.

In fact, FYI Nigeria has never had a hausa president before.

You're right, you're not hausa, so there is no hausa man in you to be disappointed. I am, and the hausa man in me feels nothing but pride about who he is and everything his people stand for.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife / A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Photos Of The Wonderful People Of Melanesia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.