Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,710 members, 7,918,187 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 02:57 AM

I Am Tired Of NEPA - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Tired Of NEPA (7382 Views)

“even If Buhari Presents NEPA Bill As Certificate, I Will Vote For Him” –ikpeba / Arik Stowaway, Daniel Ohikhena : “I Am Tired, I Want To Go Home" / N25trillion Worth Of NEPA To Be Sold At N200billion.....scandalous! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Seun(m): 9:47pm On Jan 01, 2008
FRorget about solar. Just use a generator and continue with your business/life.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 10:36pm On Jan 01, 2008
Why in the world would you say forget about Solar?? Imagine how much the average Nigerian would save himself each year and the environment over 10 years of using just solar power?? Not to even talk of the benefit?? Come on ,  He is right. I do not understand what is wrong with Nigerians seeing things that are good for them and actually taking advantage of it as one would expect.

1) Solar helps curb noise and atmospheric pollution

2) Costs way less over the long run compared to Generator and costs less to maintain

3) Is easy to install and can be easily placed in places where thieves will have difficulty reaching the equipment.

4) A community can come together to purchase the panels, have them installed and not have to worry about refueling every now and then, 

I mean I can go on and on speaking on the advantages of using Solar or wind energy in a place like Nigeria. What I do not understand is why people do not see how much easier life can be with it.

How many solar cells would I need in order to provide all of the electricity that my house needs?

If you have read the HSW article entitled How Solar Yard Lights Work, then you can get a feeling for how much power a solar cell can produce. The solar panel shown in that article contains 4 cells, and each of them can produce 0.45 volts and 100 milliamps, or 45 milliwatts. Each cell measures 2 inches by 0.5 inches. In other words, with these solar cells you can generate 45 milliwatts in one square inch (6.45 square cm). For the sake of discussion, let's assume that a panel can generate 70 milliwatts per square inch.

To calculate how many square inches of solar panel you need for a house, you need to know:

How much power the house consumes on average.
Where the house is located (so you can calculate mean solar days, average rainfall, etc.). This question is impossible to answer unless you have a specific location in mind. We'll assume that on an average day the solar panels generate their maximum power for 5 hours.
The first question is actually pretty interesting, so let's work on it.
A "typical home" in America can use either electricity or gas to provide heat -- heat for the house, the hot water, the clothes dryer and the stove/oven. If you were to power a house with solar electricity, you would certainly use gas appliances because solar electricity is so expensive. This means that what you would be powering with solar electricity are things like the refrigerator, the lights, the computer, the TV, stereo equipment, motors in things like furnace fans and the washer, etc. Let's say that all of those things average out to 600 watts on average. Over the course of 24 hours, you need 600 watts * 24 hours = 14,400 watt-hours per day.

From our calculations and assumptions above, we know that a solar panel can generate 70 milliwatts per square inch * 5 hours = 350 milliwatt hours per day. Therefore you need about 41,000 square inches of solar panel for the house. That's a solar panel that measures about 285 square feet (about 26 square meters). That would cost around $16,000 right now. Then, because the sun only shines part of the time, you would need to purchase a battery bank, an inverter, etc., and that often doubles the cost of the installation.

If you want to have a small room air conditioner in your bedroom, double everything.

Because solar electricity is so expensive, you would normally go to great lengths to reduce your electricity consumption. Instead of a desktop computer and a monitor you would use a laptop computer. You would use fluorescent lights instead of incandescent. You would use a small B&W TV instead of a large color set. You would get a small, extremely efficient refrigerator­. By doing these things you might be able to reduce your average power consumption to 100 watts. This would cut the size of your solar panel and its cost by a factor of 6, and this might bring it into the realm of possibility.

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question418.htm

Calculate the Total you spend on your generators each year for about 3 years and tell me if this is too much for your situation and will not be better for you in the long run. In a place like Nigeria where no one knows when the government will get around fixing the Electricity grids and making power available to all the people, Solar and wind technology could not only provide energy as needed but open a market that will help both individuals and businesses.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by earthrealm(m): 12:24am On Jan 03, 2008
solar is just too expensive 4 the average nigerin!!!, its not that we dont know the value,

naija folks are still yet 2 appreciaate the invertr/batt system,

cos thats the best combo 4 solar?,
do u know any cheap sources 4 solar cells?, am interested
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by obyann(f): 1:47pm On Jan 03, 2008
PHCN is uncurable grin
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Iranoladun(f): 7:17pm On Jan 03, 2008
winkI agree with you, electricity generation, transmission and distribution in Nigeria is like a terminal illness (cancer); it is a question of time before it completely Kaput (die)! Unless a deregulation is done like we did in telecommunication we will continue to whine about NEPA (sorry [b]P[/b]roblem [b]H[/b]as [b]C[/b]hanged [b]N[/b]ame) [color=#770077][/color] for a very long time with no apparent solution . Yaradua is still searching for the meaning of emergency in his dictionary 7 months after he claimed he will declare a 'state of emergency in the power sector' grin cheesy smiley In the interim I advise folks to try Solar generation in order to reduce dependency on NEPA/PHCN. You may wish to power some of your equipment with solar e.g. refrigerator, TV and lights
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 7:50pm On Jan 03, 2008
earthrealm:

solar is just too expensive for the average nigerin!!!, its not that we don't know the value,

naija folks are still yet 2 appreciaate the invertr/batt system,

because thats the best combo 4 solar?,
do u know any cheap sources 4 solar cells?, am interested

Sure it is expensive even for the average american right now. But Considering the cost over the long run,it is still way better than the generators has to offer. There are more and more companies coming out with cheaper solar panels, still same quality but cheaper. Like I mentioned earlier, a community can come together to purchase a wind generator or build a solar farm to service them. They can put money together over a period of time and even start a business with this. Another alternative is to have a whole town vote on such technology, put money together to buy and build a solar or wind farm and then over time, they can enlarge it and sell power to other neighbouring towns for profit. I mean regardless of the way you look at it, this is cheaper than the alternatives which are having everyone on the line own generators and the noise pollution alone will be terrible, and it is way cheaper than having to purchase oil to fuel those generations and ruin the atmosphere with all the fumes and pollution.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Nobody: 5:13am On Jan 04, 2008
first Nepa- never expect power always
then Phcn- power holding witholding company of Nigeria

I don tire
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 5:18am On Jan 04, 2008
eyimofe89:

first Nepa- never expect power always
then Phcn- power holding witholding company of Nigeria

I don tire

We need to stop waiting for the government already. I mean we say ONCE BEATEN, TWICE SHY. We have had this done to us over and over and over and over. When are we going to wise up and take the bull by the horn and do take back power These people do not respect the Nigerian people cause they see us as a bunch of yellow bellied idiots. We need to start standing up for our rights instead of waiting for decades for the same people who have failed us all this while to do for us. O ga ooO!!
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 04, 2008
If electricity problem will be solved in naija, d People in power knows how.
Presently, PHCN or NEPA or whatever name they call it is only being used as a milking cow, an avenue to siphon Naija money.
My reference point is d usual fuel scarcity that characterises Xmas n New-year period in Nigeria you will notice that there was nothing close to scarcity of fuel during this period as compared to what we use to have in d same period of previous years. How could that be solved over-night?
They know what is wrong with the system and they can solve it if they wish to.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by ameristu: 1:27pm On Jan 04, 2008
Hello every one at this site. I am a Nigerian student currently studying in the united states of america, i came across this page and immediately fell in love with it because of the manner the member express their minds.
Nigerian's problem on power is firstly we invested heavily in the wrong investment. We invested heavily on hydro power never considering what would happen at dry seasons, other counteries that use hydo power have a back up in case of dry season or drpught.
Secondly we have gas plants, gas supply to this plant is constantly didrupted by the Niger Delta crises which never enable hem to work at full capacity.
Thirdly, the demand of electricity is about 800% greater than the supply, also the idea of using renewable energy sources can only be done by private people. It is way too expensive to generate electricity by this renewable sources (wind, solar) for the government to invest in.
The cheapeast way to generate electricity world-wide is by the use of coal. Most countries of the worls having the kind of population Nigeria does rely heavily on coal, it usually generates more than 60% of their total power generation the rest 40% being gas,nuclear,hyro and renewable energy sources.
Nigeria has an abundant supply of coal, the government can invest in coal power plants, in that way creating jobs for those mining the coal, crating jobs for those transporting the coal to the power plants also putting back to use the rail tracks that have been built for this purpose in the past, building multiple coal plants would make a huge difference in solving the electricity problem of Nigeria and some people would say what about pollution that the world is against the use of coal to generate electricity. Tell them China is doing it, the U.S is doing it what make us different from the other countries doing it. After this is done we can start building oue gas plants or they would be built at the same time as the coal plants, if the Niger-Delta people would embark on their strike we would have coal to fall back on.
This is my own 2kobo on the energy issue in Nigeria. Than you.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by dave07(m): 12:12am On Jan 08, 2008
The real issue here is not to talk about the problem but to find lasting solutions. I agree renewable energy source of power supply maybe too expensive for the average Nigerian. I agree we can just make do with generators and keep the whole neighborhood sick with co pollution and noise. I AGREE coal fired plants would be better than gas plants and hydro-plants, I agree with these and many more points, but I ask what do we really want as citizens of this great nation. Let's stop trading blames. The number of NEPA men who are facing serious jobs hazards daily and yet remain grossly underpaid far outweighs the little number interacting with the public and some of whose conduct has given the whole Organization a bad name. The rate at which we waste even the insufficient electrical energy available in the country and we are not made to pay for such wastages even surprises the people in neighboring Cotonou. The ease at which we run generators daily at very high operating cost and our reluctance to promptly and adequately settle our electricity bills will definitely baffle anyone from the west. MTN, VMOBILE, GLO and other telecommunication success stories were made cos telecom can be achieved via radition, so you need no visible wire to connect people. but can you do that with electricity? In fact when the prepaid meters were introduced, the 1st questions Nigerian asked was 'how can we bypass this meter'. There are so many questions to ask, why is it that we have not been able to build or plan for power stations that will generate more than 1,000 MW to team up with Egbin thermal station which is presently the only station with the highest installed capacity of 1,320MW? or do we need a National conference, constitutional conference Sovereign or non sovereign to bail us out?
Do we even know what to expect in electric power supply, our rights and responsibilities as regards the supply we get from PHCN or whatever. We all have a stake in the power sector because whether we like it or not it affect us all. Why can we not task our electrical engineers and fresh graduates to design and construct locally made renewable modules such as inverters and also brainstorm on how we can tap into the rich solar resources to provide community electricity projects adapting foreign technology to local needs. If today in Nigeria, foreigners are making use of our "scraps" as raw materials for product which they end up producing in Nigeria and export to other countries, I believe it is time to sit up and refuse to accept the status quo. Abeg Seun, you go 4give me for this, but I am making am appeal here to all who are electrically inclined in local fabrications to please get in touch with me. I believe we can all do something together with God on our side. I rest my case for now
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 3:11pm On Jan 08, 2008
I am not in support of Nigeria going the way of Coal energy like many of the other powers of the world have. I believe we should take advantage of the situation in the world we live in now to our great advantage. Use that money we would invest in coal technology to work on nuclear or even renewable energy sources once and for all.

dave07:

The real issue here is not to talk about the problem but to find lasting solutions. I agree renewable energy source of power supply maybe too expensive for the average Nigerian. I agree we can just make do with generators and keep the whole neighborhood sick with co pollution and noise. I AGREE coal fired plants would be better than gas plants and hydro-plants, I agree with these and many more points, but I ask what do we really want as citizens of this great nation. Let's stop trading blames. The number of NEPA men who are facing serious jobs hazards daily and yet remain grossly underpaid far outweighs the little number interacting with the public and some of whose conduct has given the whole Organization a bad name. The rate at which we waste even the insufficient electrical energy available in the country and we are not made to pay for such wastages even surprises the people in neighboring Cotonou. The ease at which we run generators daily at very high operating cost and our reluctance to promptly and adequately settle our electricity bills will definitely baffle anyone from the west. MTN, VMOBILE, GLO and other telecommunication success stories were made because telecom can be achieved via radition, so you need no visible wire to connect people. but can you do that with electricity? In fact when the prepaid meters were introduced, the 1st questions Nigerian asked was 'how can we bypass this meter'. There are so many questions to ask, why is it that we have not been able to build or plan for power stations that will generate more than 1,000 MW to team up with Egbin thermal station which is presently the only station with the highest installed capacity of 1,320MW? or do we need a National conference, constitutional conference Sovereign or non sovereign to bail us out?

Do we even know what to expect in electric power supply, our rights and responsibilities as regards the supply we get from PHCN or whatever. We all have a stake in the power sector because whether we like it or not it affect us all. Why can we not task our electrical engineers and fresh graduates to design and construct locally made renewable modules such as inverters and also brainstorm on how we can tap into the rich solar resources to provide community electricity projects adapting foreign technology to local needs. If today in Nigeria, foreigners are making use of our "scraps" as raw materials for product which they end up producing in Nigeria and export to other countries, I believe it is time to sit up and refuse to accept the status quo. Abeg Seun, you go 4give me for this, but I am making am appeal here to all who are electrically inclined in local fabrications to please get in touch with me. I believe we can all do something together with God on our side. I rest my case for now

All that is true of situation in that country.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by ameristu: 5:48pm On Jan 08, 2008
Nuclear is actually the cheapest and most stable way of generating electricity. The problem is if people are aware of the dangers of nuclear power plants would they allow them build nuclear power plants close to them. The world has not built a new nuclear power plant since the 8 mile incident in the United States when the reactors heated, which lead to explosion of the reactor which wiped out a whole city, also the radioactive waste from nuclear plants is still a problem. The radioactive wastes are being stored in containers and they have not found any means of didposing them properly without affecting the environment.
The solar option which seems by far to be the most realistic way of generating electricity still has to be massively funded by the government, as a result cause the amount of solar panels needed to generate sufficient electricity for the basic needs like lighting,television,airconditioners,charging cell phones all at the same time is very expensive compared to the other ways of generating electricity also we all have to remember that electricity cannot be stored and the amount that can be stored usually discharges very fast when put to use, there is no sunlight at night but people still need electricity supply even at night.
We need to generate electricity that is cheap and can meet the demand of the citizens of Nigeria. Thank you.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by hilli666(m): 8:38pm On Jan 08, 2008
NEPA ohh NEPA
Why can’t I sleep?
Is it because of the sweat that is now soaking my sheet?
Or the relentless mosquitoes biting my feet.
Is it the harsh embrace of intolerable heat?
Or the stench of rotten food permeating my fridge
Nepa ohh Nepa
If you were a man I would slap you
I would take cane and flog you
I would jump on you and bite your neck
I would……yeah Nepa don bring light.
Thank God for Nepa
May you have many children?
If you had a farm, may it grow plenty cassava and groundnut
May your wife be beautiful with big ikebe
Just let me iron my sokoto
Just let the air conditioner cool me small
Just let me turn on the borehole machine
Just let me……ohhh Nepa don take light again
Make god punish una
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy grin grin cheesy wink
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by bawomol(m): 10:35pm On Jan 08, 2008
why not make use of coal energy, when u have a minefield in Enugu. most of the energy in the US is made by coal. there are safe ways to refine Coal.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On Jan 09, 2008
ameristu:

Nuclear is actually the cheapest and most stable way of generating electricity. The problem is if people are aware of the dangers of nuclear power plants would they allow them build nuclear power plants close to them. The world has not built a new nuclear power plant since the 8 mile incident in the United States when the reactors heated, which lead to explosion of the reactor which wiped out a whole city, also the radioactive waste from nuclear plants is still a problem. The radioactive wastes are being stored in containers and they have not found any means of didposing them properly without affecting the environment.
The solar option which seems by far to be the most realistic way of generating electricity still has to be massively funded by the government, as a result cause the amount of solar panels needed to generate sufficient electricity for the basic needs like lighting,television,airconditioners,charging cell phones all at the same time is very expensive compared to the other ways of generating electricity also we all have to remember that electricity cannot be stored and the amount that can be stored usually discharges very fast when put to use, there is no sunlight at night but people still need electricity supply even at night.
We need to generate electricity that is cheap and can meet the demand of the citizens of Nigeria. Thank you.

Radioactive waste may be a problem today but I assure you that many countries out there are working on ways of effectively recycling the waste, as we speak. I do not believe the problems are that big a deal considering that apart from big ones like chenobyl and the likes, many other countries like france and south africa have been able to make use of nuclear energy to their advantage for several years now and they intend to build more. In the time it will take Nigeria to actually get a nuclear plant though, I would prefer we spend that time exploring other sources and my bet is more on solar/wind sources. Both available in vast quantities and able to reach all persons. Sure the government would need to fund such projects but in situations where the government is not willing, companies can step in and provide the energy to the consumer, in ways such as I have outlined in earlier posts.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by ameristu: 5:18am On Jan 09, 2008
I totally agree with you my friend Mr.kobojunkie. Let us look at it from another point.
The cost per KWh from Coal costs about =N=7.01
The cost per KWh from your generator is =N=8.01 (This actually depends on the generator size, this is a for a single family)
The cost per KWh from solar would cost about =N=50.03

Over time the cost of generating power from solar would go down after companies recover half of the money they invested in putting the equipmen in place. From my calculations which could take as much as 15 years. Calculate how much money one would have saved during that 15 years and by then there might have been a new technology in generating electricity then.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 5:24am On Jan 09, 2008
ameristu:

I totally agree with you my friend Mr.kobojunkie. Let us look at it from another point.
The cost per KWh from Coal costs about =N=7.01
The cost per KWh from your generator is =N=8.01 (This actually depends on the generator size, this is a for a single family)
The cost per KWh from solar would cost about =N=50.03

Over time the cost of generating power from solar would go down after companies recover half of the money they invested in putting the equipmen in place. From my calculations which could take as much as 15 years. Calculate how much money one would have saved during that 15 years and by then there might have been a new technology in generating electricity then.

I doubt those numbers you posted up there are even close to accurate compared with the  reality of things for those who actually use these different modes of energy generation. I do not think that is the way it works, if that was the case, those who currently use solar energy to power their huts and houses in africa would be bankrupt by now. You do realize that people in various areas in africa already use solar energy to power their houses and huts, right?? 

Here are some good articles to give you an idea of how much it could actually cost as against what you have up there , 

http://www.un.org/ecosocdev/geninfo/afrec/vol20no3/203-solar-power.html

http://www.self.org/uganda.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2007/10/11/solar-powered-donkey-carts-bring-power-to-african-villages/

http://www.self.org/myeka.asp

[img]http://image.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2007/12/01/solar460x276[/img]
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/dec/02/renewableenergy.solarpower

http://solar4africa.net/
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by TheSly: 5:57am On Jan 09, 2008

Calculate how much money one would have saved during that 15 years and by then there might have been a new technology in generating electricity then.

true talk!!
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 6:07am On Jan 09, 2008

Innovative financing

“With all their advantages, solar systems are not cheap to install,” says Mr. Jem Porcaro, an analyst for the Energy and Environment Group at UNDP. “A typical home system in sub-Saharan Africa costs anywhere between $500 and $1,000 and such systems typically provide enough power to light three to six rooms and power a black-and-white TV each night. But the cost is well beyond the means of most African households.”

The use of innovative financing schemes, like fee-for-service arrangements, is one way to overcome these high up-front costs, notes Mr. Porcaro. Installing solar panels to power multiple houses at once can also cut down on costs. More households could afford solar power, argues the World Bank, if governments were to remove barriers, such as high import duties, that increase the cost of the panels. Regional cooperation to facilitate trade is another major NEPAD goal.

African leaders are demonstrating commitment to bring solar power to rural homes. For example, a UNDP-GEF report on solar financing and delivery models notes that private sales, through dealers, initially dominated the market in South Africa, but that the government, a leading NEPAD proponent, later initiated a massive off-grid effort that is now fully active. Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland, Zambia and most countries in the region have developed solar markets, in many cases with special funds to support consumer credit.

Here is another cool one to give people an idea of how much business there is in this, 

Boost to businesses

Besides domestic use, people are harnessing solar power to run small businesses. Entrepreneur Abina Lungu operates a maize-grinding mill in Nyimba, eastern Zambia. With reliable solar energy, he can work well into the night to meet all his customers’ orders. His house, close to the mill, is also lit by solar power. Mr. Lungu is one of the many villagers serviced by the Nyimba Energy Service Company (NESCO), an enterprise funded by the Swedish International Development Agency. To get power into a home or shop, NESCO installs a system that includes a panel, battery, charge controller and power points. The cost is $33.33, including the contract fee. Thereafter, consumers pay a monthly rental fee.

“I pay 30,000 kwacha [about $6.25] as a rental charge every month to NESCO,” Mr. Lungu told the Integrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN), a humanitarian news agency. “For me, it works out cheaper to use solar because paraffin is more expensive, and even if electricity comes to Nyimba, not all the people will get connected.”

No major marketing is needed to convince African citizens to turn to solar. The demand is high. NESCO says it has about 360 people on its waiting list. “We are struggling to satisfy demand,” confesses Mr. Stanislas Sankhani, the company’s project manager.

With a concerted NEPAD effort Africans will, hopefully, not languish in line for much longer. Solar electricity, states the World Bank, is as good as an electricity grid for rural households since they do not consume much power. In a modest Nyimba office, 320 kilometres away from the Zambian capital’s grid, a sign confidently announces that the office is up to date: “Solar is good ,  even in thatched houses; it will reach you wherever you are.”

Now imagine a situation where instead, the average nigerian home gets to pay a rent to own fee for solar panels and over a 5 year period, people would not only have paid off for their solar but actually have free Electricity from them on. What is wrong with that ?? Solar panels are not as expensive as you think if you look at the market today. As outlined in that article I posted, a house can make do with 2 or three panels which, depending on the KWs per panel can go cost a total of 1200 or more. Sunlight is free and available all through the year. You pay off the cost of solar panels and installation and you get to enjoy free energy 24 hours of the day 7 days a week without having to worry about paying a bill to anyone for it. Many of these panels come with a 25 year warranty too.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by salinco(m): 8:02am On Jan 09, 2008
Quite educating stories, I presumed strongly that if our government is up to the task there should be no problem of energy. If a grassroots’ government decides to eradicate the problem of energy, they can source funds from the financial institution, and on the long run all the expenses will be spread on the houses in a local and it could be cheaper. A very good local government will subsidize the expenses and surely it will in turn increase the local generated revenue.
To me it is not expensive is like investing money to get money. The have wasted billion of naira on NEPA/ NPHC. So let the generation, distribution, financing and management of energy start from the Local government or the State government and supported by the government at the center to allow individual contribution.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by ameristu: 2:51pm On Jan 09, 2008
You have said it. Solar is no doubt the best way to generate electricity. Some facts about solar energy generation
[list]
[li][/li]
Solar generation cannot meet the electricity demand of any country
Solar power generation is expensive, right now it is only for the rich my grandmother in the village cannot afford it.
Solar power is not 100% reliable as in that there are many days in the years when it rains and we have very little sunlight
There has to be a back up if anyone is planning of using solar to generate electricity, most of the time people use generation as back up
Solar panels are easily scratched, which reduces their productivity greatly, the scratched parts or damaged parts have to be replaces and they are costly
solar panel have to be motorized because the sun constantly changes direction during the day, the solar panels would have to be constantly moved to face the direct rays of the sunlight
again no country can totally depend on solar power generation as the only source of generation
There is no sunlight at night that would mean you would always be in black out nightly
The size of solar panels to power one's house to be ale to operate all the appliances in the house at the same time is about the size of a football field. imagine solar panels the size of a foot ball field on top of your house of if you want a smaller size you would have to turn off some equipments in order to be able to use the other.
[li][/li]
[/list]
With coal you don't have all this problems
You create jobs for miners, create jobs for drivers, people to maintain the power stations e.t.c
generating power from coal would only create more jobs, be stable and boost our economy.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 5:22pm On Jan 09, 2008
ameristu:

You have said it. Solar is no doubt the best way to generate electricity. Some facts about solar energy generation
[list]
[li][/li]
Solar generation cannot meet the electricity demand of any country
Solar power generation is expensive, right now it is only for the rich my grandmother in the village cannot afford it.
Solar power is not 100% reliable as in that there are many days in the years when it rains and we have very little sunlight
There has to be a back up if anyone is planning of using solar to generate electricity, most of the time people use generation as back up
Solar panels are easily scratched, which reduces their productivity greatly, the scratched parts or damaged parts have to be replaces and they are costly
solar panel have to be motorized because the sun constantly changes direction during the day, the solar panels would have to be constantly moved to face the direct rays of the sunlight
again no country can totally depend on solar power generation as the only source of generation
There is no sunlight at night that would mean you would always be in black out nightly
The size of solar panels to power one's house to be ale to operate all the appliances in the house at the same time is about the size of a football field. imagine solar panels the size of a foot ball field on top of your house of if you want a smaller size you would have to turn off some equipments in order to be able to use the other.
[li][/li]
[/list]
With coal you don't have all this problems
You create jobs for miners, create jobs for drivers, people to maintain the power stations e.t.c
generating power from coal would only create more jobs, be stable and boost our economy.

Every single assumption you have made here is not true about solar energy or solar panels. Please do some  investigation into the technology and how far it has come please. I was going to attach additional data for you but I urge that you please read the articles I posted earlier to understand the facts about solar energy and solar panels. All the so called problems you listed do not exist at all. I really think you should research solar panels to learn a whole lot about them. I even attached pictures of poor people who use solar and you still come back with the SOlar is expensive rebuttle?? Cars are expensive but what then?? People still save up to buy them.

salinco:

Quite educating stories, I presumed strongly that if our government is up to the task there should be no problem of energy. If a grassroots’ government decides to eradicate the problem of energy, they can source funds from the financial institution, and on the long run all the expenses will be spread on the houses in a local and it could be cheaper. A very good local government will subsidize the expenses and surely it will in turn increase the local generated revenue.

To me it is not expensive is like investing money to get money
. The have wasted billion of naira on NEPA/ NPHC. So let the generation, distribution, financing and management of energy start from the Local government or the State government and supported by the government at the center to allow individual contribution.

BINGO!!!!
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 6:03pm On Jan 09, 2008
Here is real numbers for you to swallow. The Nigerian Government intends to spend $912,226.40 on electricity bills this year alone. Consider how many Solar panels and installations that money can be used for this year alone. Once all that money is spent this year on installing all that. There will no need to spend anything on electricity for the next 25 years, except occassional maintainance. Think of what it would mean to save the Nigerian people over $800k each year in electricity bills from the government.

FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA 2008 BUDGET PROPOSAL

2008 BUDGET =N=
020 TOTAL PRESIDENCY 26,934,046,644

0200000 STATE HOUSE
TOTAL ALLOCATION: 15,617,406,348

Classification No. EXPENDITURE ITEMS

020000001100001 TOTAL PERSONNEL COST 1,146,406,889
020000001100010 SALARY & WAGES - GENERAL 863,159,617
020000001100011 CONSOLIDATED SALARY 863,159,617
020000001200020 BENEFITS AND ALLOWANCES - GENERAL 185,873,295
020000001200021 NON-NON-REGULAR ALLOWANCES 63,969,403
020000001200022 RENT SUBSIDY 48,508,838
020000001200023 OVERTIME 73,395,054
020000001300030 SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION 97,373,977
020000001300031 NHIS 39,832,337
020000001300032 PENSION 57,541,641
020000002000100 TOTAL GOODS AND NON - PERSONAL SERVICES - GENERAL 11,496,141,410
020000002050110 TRAVELS & TRANSPORT - GENERAL 1,271,176,498
020000002050111 LOCAL TRAVELS & TRANSPORT 651,712,762
020000002050112 INTERNATIONAL TRAVELS & TRANSPORT 619,463,736
020000002060120 TRAVELS & TRANSPORT (TRAINING) - GENERAL 760,811,571
020000002060121 LOCAL TRAVELS & TRANSPORT 309,382,834
020000002060122 INTERNATIONAL TRAVELS & TRANSPORT 451,428,737
020000002100200 UTILITIES - GENERAL 325,545,401
020000002100201 ELECTRICITY CHARGES 109,467,169
020000002100202 TELEPHONE CHARGES 80,724,000
020000002100203 INTERNET ACCESS CHARGES 13,488,940
020000002100204 SATELLITES BROADCASTING ACCESS  CHARGES 27,090,000
020000002100205 WATER RATES 58,006,792
020000002100206 SEWAGE CHARGES 10,468,500
020000002100299 OTHER UTILITY CHARGES 26,300,000
020000002150300 MATERIALS & SUPPLIES - GENERAL 1,609,784,502
020000002150301 OFFICE MATERIALS & SUPPLIES 327,216,635
020000002150302 LIBRARY BOOKS & PERIODICALS 17,083,343
020000002150303 COMPUTER MATERIALS & SUPPLIES 55,786,340
020000002150304 PRINTING OF NON SECURITY DOCUMENTS 44,639,500
020000002150305 PRINTING OF SECURITY DOCUMENTS 38,642,750
020000002150306 DRUGS & MEDICAL SUPPLIES 262,794,000
020000002150307 UNIFORMS & OTHER CLOTHING 26,578,371
020000002150308 FOOD STUFF SUPPLIES 474,061,513
020000002150309 TEACHING AIDS MATERIALS 7,841,300
020000002150399 OTHER MATERIALS & SUPPLIES (INCLUDING CRESTED WARES) 355,140,750
020000002200400 MAINTENANCE SERVICES - GENERAL 3,546,708,658
020000002200401 MAINTENANCE OF MOTOR VEHICLES 90,300,000
020000002210402 MAINTENANCE OF AIR CRAFTS 820,440,850
020000002200403 MAINTENANCE OF OFFICE FURNITURE 38,805,143
020000002200404 MAINTENANCE OF BUILDING - OFFICE 736,300,000
020000002200405 MAINTENANCE OF BUILDING - RESIDENTIAL 730,000,000
020000002200406 MAINTENANCE OF OTHER INFRASTRUCTURES 847,413,200
020000002200407 MAINTENANCE OF OFFICE  EQUIPMENTS 68,678,320
020000002200408 MAINTENANCE OF COMPUTERS & IT  EQUIPMENTS 9,077,150
020000002210409 MAINTENANCE OF PLANTS/GENERATORS 84,381,094
020000002200499 OTHER MAINTENANCE SERVICES 121,312,900
020000002250500 TRAINING - GENERAL 479,577,386
020000002250501 LOCAL TRAINING 98,409,316
020000002250502 INT'L TRAINING 381,168,070
020000002300600 OTHER SERVICES - GENERAL 169,186,104
020000002310601 CLEANING & FUMIGATION SERVICES 13,755,000
020000002300602 RESIDENTIAL ACCOMMODATION RENT 102,676,104
020000002300603 SECURITY VOTE  (INCLUDING OPERATIONS) 52,755,000
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by dave07(m): 10:54pm On Jan 09, 2008
[quote][/quote]
That is the real issue, because of certain constraints we almost end up doing nothing at all, even when such constraints have long been resolved. many Nigerians still hold to the old notion that inverters, solar panels and the rest are still very costly to implement in Nigeria. While it is true imported inverters are a bit on the high side, I know we can still get locally made inverters at very low costs and where are we even importing from?. The article and pix by Mr kobojunkie has shown us the implementation of solar panels here in Arica and rural areas at that. Let our policy makers be made to understand recent developments that can help our society. let the private sector be fully involved and let us do away with high and unrealistic government contractors quotes.
If we can deploy a lot of off-grid systems in our homes to provide needed power supply, I believe we will be on the way to finally solving these problems. The problem is not NEPA or PHCN! Let us sit down and look for alternatives while the government work more on improving generation and grid capability, so that more industries can also come up unemployment reducing. Who says we wont be talking about net metering and grid tied systems very soon!
Let me also add this from powersystemsengr.blogspots.com to corroborate the quote made earlier.
[center]fallacies about the solar cells[/center]
PV is too costly and will never compete with "the big boys" of power generation. Besides, you can never get the energy out that it takes to produce the system.

The cost of producing PV modules, in constant dollars, has fallen from as much as $50 per peak watt in 1980 to as little as $3 per peak watt today. This causes PV electricity costs to drop 15¢-25¢ per kilowatt hour (kWh), which is competitive in many applications

Solar electricity cannot serve any significant fraction of world electricity needs.

PV technology can meet electricity demand on any scale. The solar energy resource in a 100-mile-square area of Nevada could supply the United States with all its electricity (about 800 gigawatts) using modestly efficient (10%) commercial PV modules.

Imagine 800 gigawatt! that is 8,000MW!
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 1:02am On Jan 10, 2008
http://thefraserdomain.typepad.com/energy/2006/02/south_africa_cl.html

February 20, 2006

South Africa Claims Breakthorough in PV Solar

According to an article on the IOL, South Africa website, scientist Professor Vivan Alberts and his colleagues at the University of Johannesburg (formerly Rand Afrikaans University) have achieved a breakthrough in developing a "revolutionary, new highly efficient solar power technology" after 10 years of research.  Panels will be available within a year.  The technology has been patented throughout the world. It is claimed to be "much more efficient than the costly old silicon solar panels."

The article goes on to say:

A German company IFE Solar Systems, has invested more than R500-million (US $83-million) in the South African invention and is set to manufacture 500,000 of the panels before the end of the year at a new plant in Germany. Production will start next month and the factory will run 24 hours a day, producing more than 1,000 panels a day to meet expected demand. ,

The South African solar panels consist of a thin layer of a unique metal alloy that converts light into energy. The photo-responsive alloy can operate on virtually all flexible surfaces, which means it could in future find a host of other applications.

Alberts said the new panels are approximately five microns thick (a human hair is 20 microns thick) while the older silicon panels are 350 microns thick. the cost of the South African technology is a fraction of the less effective silicone solar panels.

According to this  November 2004 article:

Prof Vivian Alberts of the Department of Physics at the Rand Afrikaans University in South Africa and team have developed and patented a novel manufacturing technique that finally makes it possible to construct CIGS solar panels at a very low cost. , Work done over the last two years indicates that panels can be produced in commercial volumes at a cost of about R 500 (US $83 or $1.66/W) for a 50 Watt panel. This is much cheaper than existing solar panels available on the market.

$1.66/W is much lower than anyone else is achieving right now but, if you believe their price, they could be on about the same pace as some other non-silicon thin film producers will be in a year, so I don't see their technology as "revolutionary."  Their installed price might be about $3.00-$3.50/W (at 2x panel price).  The key to low cost cells is the manufacturing methods and it is awful ambitious of anyone to assume they can reach that price in one year, even with a "novel" manufacturing process. 

Daystar and others are developing similar technology.  Daystar may be reaching $3.00-$3.50/W installed price in 2007 with their Gen II production if everything goes right.  They are achieving 20% efficiency in the laboratory which is much better than anyone most get with silicon.  Daystar plans on reducing its installed price to the range of $1.00/W when its Gen III production is tuned up in 2009, but I suspect they may have to go to a Gen IV process, producing wider width cell panels and a higher production rate before they reach that price.

NREL has said that industry needs to get its price down to about $0.52 per watt (cost $0.26) to achieve installed price of under a $1.00/W, (for 13% efficiency CIGS panels) the holy grail of pricing necessary to compete with utility power without any subsidies in the US. Electricity is much more expensive in South Africa than in the US, so maybe their price is competitive over there. Prices this low are for large multi-MW installations, not for household installations, so that is another factor to consider.  Supplies of Indium and Gallium become tight when you are talking about multi-GW production so yet another obstacle to overcome. And then could we have patent infringement lawsuits at some time?  Life is so complicated.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 1:20am On Jan 10, 2008
Think of the many things Solar Power can do NOW for africa. Not 5 years from now or 10 years from now but RIGHT NOW in Nigeria.

1) Solar Powered Schools ,  Each School can spend about $5000 of their 2008 Budget on acquiring Solar Power to power everything from Water pumps, Computers in the school, Science Lab equipment and all for years to come with NO MORE BILLS to pay after this. NO ELECTRICITY BILLS AFTER THAT. NO paying $5000 again the next year. Just once for many years to come. Imagine the good it would do the students who have to attend that school. More money can go to actually taking advantage of the available power to educate the students in other areas. Students can work better in schools.

2) Solar powered Businesses such as Farms, Factories, Banks,  This means uninterrupted power and so these businesses can instead of having to deal with generators and the noise pollution, they have more time to focus on more important things, making money and not worrying about if the generator has gas in it or the cost of gas. Infact, with high gas and diesel prices, an investment in solar panels is way worth it considering the amount of oil these generators use up each day to power up businesses across the country

3) Government,  Utilizing Solar panels will free up money that would otherwise be used to pay off electricity bills fanthom and otherwise.

4) The Number one reason why I am a great advocate for solar energy use in africa is the fact that considering the state of things in the world with the Global warming idea, this could be Africa's time to not only get in on the move to do better for the environment by reducing emissions by so much but also the individual africans way of contributing to the cause at a reduced cost and with great benefits. We happen to live on a continent that gets more sunlight than most places in the world. We have this free, this to me is almost God saying I HAVE GIVEN IT TO THEE FREE OF CHARGE, USE IT!!!

5) Solar Powered Water pumps,  http://www.outreachafrica.org/news/waterproject.pdf

6) Employment Opportunity, South Africa as well as other african countries such as Uganda have been investing in this form of energy for years now and it is slowly beginning to pay off. If only we could look at world trends and pick the trends that not only fit in but will benefit us a great deal. The Average 130W Panel is going for lower than $500 now. NanoSolar, the company is working on Solar panels that are aluminium foil thin and cheap. Before we know it, the price will fall to below $100 and we would have missed out once again if we do not jump on the boat now and start seeking ways we can invest in this to our benefit.

ETC
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by deezzle(m): 4:21pm On Jan 11, 2008
there was a day i woke up at 3am and couldn't take it anymore so i penned this with an intention to get it published:

THE MENANCE CALLED PHCN
It will be an understatement to say that the one of the major spanners in the wheel of Nigeria’s development is lack of adequate power. Every sector of our economy is highly dependent on this decayed institution we all used to know as NEPA (Never Expect Power Always).
A lot of companies in this country use our PHCN only when their generators have a problem. This is a real show of shame as no economy can ever boast of development if the issue of power generation remains an albatross.
I am writing on specifically on behalf of the residents of the Ahmed axis of Badore road in Ajah and for all Nigerians in general. It baffles you whenever PHCN official come up with unintelligent excuses as to why they find it hard to supply what is rightfully ours, close-to-constant power supply. I am sure we all don’t expect them to be perfect yet, even though the sector gulps billions of naira year-in year-out.
The Ahmed axis consists mainly of houses whose residents are mostly at work during the day. The remaining buildings are housed by low income earners who earn their pay by selling the infamous “paraga”and other petty material. There is no factory, there is no industry of any sort. The most baffling thing is that there is only “light” during the day. The only sure thing in our “hood” is that there will not be light to go to bed with.
It has been acclaimed that Nigerians are the happiest people on earth. I fault that statement because I know that surely, no human being can be living under the kind of conditions we find ourselves in and be really happy. The point is we have been so intimidated and stripped of our rights, we find complaining an uncanny thing to do. We always “manage” every situation, even if it will kill us.
Sometime ago, after my arrival from the UK, I personally lodged a complaint to NEPA office and what I was told that the power was being shared. They explained (unintelligently) that the transformer provided for us does not have enough capacity to accommodate the power generation from the households. As we speak, I can physically count the number of houses with air conditioning systems.
Sometime last year, the transformer gave way; this ensued in total unexplained plunge into darkness for 3 months (this did not stop PHCN from charging maintenance fee on the new digital meter). When the transformer was finally restored, our heroes in PHCN uniform brought back the same transformer and claimed it was refurbished. The question that comes to mind is, why could they not request for a transformer with a higher capacity knowing the problem the same transformer had been giving the residents before its damage? Do they not know that the same thing that made it go kaput will happen again? It shows how much they care about our welfare!
I want to assume that the staffs of PHCN actually enjoy seeing children ravaged by heat rashes and housewives throwing out rotten food from their freezers which they must have spent their hard earned money in buying.
This has made living in this area for us a very expensive and dangerous affair. We buy and store petrol in kegs just so we can sleep with fans to keep mosquitoes at bay.
As I say to my friends, the issue of power generation in this country will never be tackled until we stop judging how wealthy a man is by how big his generator is or how long he can run it for.
I hereby call on the Zonal Manager of PHCN, Agungi to use his kind office in helping us find a lasting solution to our problem.
I am sure someday, we will all rain prayers rather than curses on PHCN.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Afam(m): 9:15pm On Jan 13, 2008
Anyone thinking that solar technology will help provide electricity for any average home in Nigeria must be joking because it will be terribly expensive to do so.

Solar is cool, expensive and not what you think of when you are looking at replacements.

For small applications, yes but for typical homes unless you have a lot of money to spend/waste it does not make any economic sense, at least not now, maybe later.
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by dee02(m): 3:52pm On Feb 02, 2008
anyone tired of nepa or phcn shld jump into the lagoon
phcn is hopeless and we have to take any dis-satisfaction on the chin and get on with our lives
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by Kobojunkie: 5:17pm On Feb 02, 2008
Re: I Am Tired Of NEPA by omowon: 2:42pm On Feb 23, 2008
Power supply in Nigeria will take so long to improve because some people are making so much money in diesel.

1)For more than 8months ,they have taken our transformer to PHCN office 4 repair and we are not hearing any news rather than the TRANSFORMERS spare part is no where to be found.

Than simply translstes that you you buy FUEL every day or stay in DARKNESS everyday.

The new development is that we have to pay some amount of money to get a replacement.

2)My office is even the worse,we use diesel from 8AM to 8PM(what about that)

Ithink the government have to do something fast as reasonable amount of our gains are going to the filling stations .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dr. Bukola Saraki Launches Dairy Development Program / I Foresee Igbo Becoming Lagos Gov By Okafor / Tension Mounts In Abuja Over Demolition Of 172 Houses Belonging To Igbo Bizmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.