Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,265 members, 7,881,000 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:38 AM

Man In Court For Threatening To Assassinate Obama - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man In Court For Threatening To Assassinate Obama (603 Views)

Amaechi Alleges Plot To Assassinate Peterside / GEJ And Wife, Patience, Planning To Assassinate Me-Rev. Fr. Mbaka / Nigerian Policeman Threatening To Shoot A Civilian (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Man In Court For Threatening To Assassinate Obama by ikennaobi(m): 5:35pm On Aug 23, 2012
Seatle – A Seattle-area man appeared in federal court on Wednesday on charges of threatening to assassinate President Barack Obama in a taunting email to the FBI.

He is also accused of assaulting a federal agent sent to arrest him.

Caluori, 31, was arrested at his apartment south of Seattle on Tuesday after the FBI notified the Secret Service about the alleged threat.

He had five guns, including two assault rifles, when arrested, according to the criminal complaint against him.

“I will kill the president!” Caluori wrote in a profanity-laden email, according to the complaint. “Come get me.”

“You have seven days. Get me to Alcatraz now,”he wrote, referring to the now-closed island prison in the San Francisco Bay.

“You can’t afford to call my bluff.”

Clean-shaven and wearing prison clothes, Caluori seemed alert during the hearing on Wednesday in U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington in Seattle.

His court-appointed attorney requested a mental evaluation of her client.

He was also accused of pointing a gun at a Secret Service agent who was with a local police officer during the arrest.

The charges against him carry a combined maximum sentence of 25 years in prison.

Defence attorney Kyana Stephens declined to speak to reporters after the hearing.

When asked if Caluori represented a threat to Obama, Assistant U.S. Attorney Steven Masada told reporters: “We take all threats against the president seriously.”

Masada said Caluori appeared to have been discharged from the Navy within the last 10 years.

Magistrate James Donahue scheduled a hearing for Monday to discuss the request for a mental health evaluation and to consider the terms of Caluori’s detention, including the possibility of bail.(Reuters/NAN)
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/08/man-in-court-for-threatening-to-assassinate-obama/

(1) (Reply)

New York City Shooter / JTF Urges Public To Ignore Boko Haram Leftlets And Posters / Does Abuja Close Down When President Jonathan Is In Town?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.