Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,175,594 members, 7,895,341 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 July 2024 at 08:51 AM

What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? (20900 Views)

What's Your Worst Cooking/kitchen Chore? / What's Your Worst Cooking Chore?? / Your Worst Cooking Mistake Ever! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by nikkyshyne(f): 7:33pm On Aug 24, 2012
Adding Alum to Ewedu. I tot it was potash.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 24, 2012
My first time trying to cook jollof rice. I boiled white rice and then added palm oil undecided that's not how it's supposed to be, I said to myself, sharp sharp into the bin before anyone noticed
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Ogetogeo(m): 7:41pm On Aug 24, 2012
ujchief: I'm having a hard time choosing between the first day i tried preparing fried rice and my first biter leaf soup at school...
Well, i think the later was more embarasing. The first time i tried biter leaf soup at school. From where i came from, the biter leaf u buy at market is well washed, so u just squeeze it a litle and u're good to go. But i never knew Awka people dont wash their biter leaf at all! I bought the 'soaked' biter leaf, after cooking my soup wit the leaf, it was sooo biter and uneatable! Worse stil, some new chick i was trying to impres was patiently waiting to try out my soup. Somehow i convinced her we should eat out. I think i told her i ran out of gas in my cooker.

Fellow Zikite

GIANTS!
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by kheart(m): 7:47pm On Aug 24, 2012
I remeber d first time and the last time i cooked semo. I pour semo powder into boiling water. I dont ve to tell u de result, as if dat s nt enof even d okro soup too no coprate at all.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by UyiIredia(m): 7:49pm On Aug 24, 2012
The day I put too much water in the machine while making pounded yam.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Les: 7:50pm On Aug 24, 2012
Damn! Am good in burning food anytime i cook, really dont know why. Not very good in kitchen, made a lot of blunders, from undone foods to burnt ones. The last one i made, i used a whole lot of tasty-tom tin tomatoes on just 3 cups of rice! Though it was sweet but it was like i used 1ltr of blood to cook dat jollof rice, nawa o!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by nenepea(f): 7:51pm On Aug 24, 2012
In a hurry to watch a movie on Tv, I mistakenly added a kerosene to a pot of beans thinking it was water. The whipping I received from my mother nearly sent me to heaven. I was 14.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by ng4am(f): 7:52pm On Aug 24, 2012
I remembered visiting a friend in her hostel and met her making egusi balls with palm oil and pepper, I asked what they re for she said she will fry it and cook it like egusi soup, I thought I ve learnt a new cooking skills, as I went to see my boyfriend the next weekend I decided to make the delicious egusi balls soup, o boy I made the balls and fried them till they almost burnt, when I tried adding the balls to the soup, the egusi balls did not dissolve, it was just like a watery soup with akara balls inside, I discarded the soup sharperly and called him to buy food on his way that I couldn't cook.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by freecocoa(f): 8:00pm On Aug 24, 2012
ng4am: I remembered visiting a friend in her hostel and met her making egusi balls with palm oil and pepper, I asked what they re for she said she will fry it and cook it like egusi soup, I thought I ve learnt a new cooking skills, as I went to see my boyfriend the next weekend I decided to make the delicious egusi balls soup, o boy I made the balls and fried them till they almost burnt, when I tried adding the balls to the soup, the egusi balls did not dissolve, it was just like a watery soup with akara balls inside, I discarded the soup sharperly and called him to buy food on his way that I couldn't cook.
Rotflmao grin grin grin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by ayobase(m): 8:06pm On Aug 24, 2012
afam4eva:
You musn't put salt when cooking corn because it makes it not to cook. You can put it later after it must have done.

Just learning this...thanks.
It was actually dried(hard) corn in the first place!
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by ayobase(m): 8:07pm On Aug 24, 2012
slimyem: i was 12..
It was the first time i killed and dissected a chicken then washed,boiled it and made stew all on my own..
Turned out i didn't empty the contents of the gizzard....
I had put it whole into the stew like that.
My mum found it out and corrected my error..
Can't remember any other blunder asides that...cheesy
LIAR!
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by johnshagb(m): 8:13pm On Aug 24, 2012
All dem comments making me rotflmao gringringrin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by mhsanni(f): 8:14pm On Aug 24, 2012
well...this one was very recent oo and since i brag a lot about my culinary skills it was so embarasn...I decided to make a delicacy for my friends.. amala n GBEGIRI SOUP(bean soup)... i had actually neva made d soup on my own before buh since hv sn mama mk it a couple of times I assumed i knew how... so i set out to peeling the beans after which i made the error of blending it...(shudnt be blended before cukn d peeled beans) well i jes realised my supposed gbegiri was turning into a pudding wen i started cukn it sad thnk God i stil had my ewedu soup to back me up...my friends stil laugh wen dey remember my gbegiri soup turned bean puddingsadsadsad

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by dikkybutt(m): 8:21pm On Aug 24, 2012
I was once assigned to taste the Bitter leaf soup on fire.....I did...it was too bitter so i added Sugar. Suffice to say it became so sugary even I that loves sugar couldn't handle it.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by sharpshap(m): 8:23pm On Aug 24, 2012
I was suppose to boil an egg, and after heating the water in the pot, I broke the egg and poured the yolk into the water...... Oooooops! Hahahahaahahaha!

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by freecocoa(f): 8:25pm On Aug 24, 2012
sharp_shap: I was suppose to boil an egg, and after heating the water in the pot, I broke the egg and poured the yolk into the water...... Oooooops! Hahahahaahahaha!
O jehovah yaweh! You really wanted to do it sharp-shap grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by mkmyers45(m): 8:28pm On Aug 24, 2012
siddiq202:
huh?! shocked shocked 3 ajino what? you are kidding right?
No
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 24, 2012
grin grin grin grin grin grin

When l 4got to include these with the Dog Head pepper soup l was cooking

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Super1759: 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2012
I remember back then in my second year. My roomy and I were walking down the market to buy stuff for jellof rice when an elderly lady dashed ur coconut. We changed plan to cook coconut-rice. We had no grinder,so we decided to chip it like onion into bits. I dnt know how to make it and my roomy claim to be champion. We fried the coconut like onion and mixed it with the rice. Mehn, after the food is done and lodge mates don gather they come eat coconut-rice...it wasn't funny cos noone could eat the food.lol
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by greatgod2012(f): 8:36pm On Aug 24, 2012
i was still younger then, i thought fish shd pass thru d same process as meat, so i boiled d fish with all d gbogbone, thyme and curry inclusive,before frying it, u can imagine d rest story,

1 Like

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by murrano: 8:38pm On Aug 24, 2012
Too much of salt............
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by freecocoa(f): 8:41pm On Aug 24, 2012
greatgod2012: i was still younger then, i thought fish shd pass thru d same process as meat, so i boiled d fish with all d gbogbone, thyme and curry inclusive,before frying it, u can imagine d rest story,
Adding thyme\curry to fish won't spoil it na, though i don't eat fish but i sometimes add the two while steaming before frying and i know many people who do too.
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 8:51pm On Aug 24, 2012
Wanted 2 copy my mum & prepare a beans stew (ata ewa igayin).
I 4got & left d palm oil 2 fry 4 ova 3hrs & d whole kitchen was filled wt smoke. After opening d windows 4 ventilation, I poured stew in d hot oil & it caught fire lyk say na bomb. I added water & d fire blazed up beyond normal. Goose pimple kom catch me, I run komot 4rm kitchen. Came bak wt a bucket of sand 2 quench d fire. D fire rose & touched d curtain of our kitchen. D tin burnt down shap shap. Even d pot was burnt beyond washing & d stew turned black lyk used engine oil. Dat day was damm good
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 24, 2012
For me, stepping into the kitchen is a blunder. From there it gets worse. If water de burn I go burn am.

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by Daluuzor(m): 8:52pm On Aug 24, 2012
damn!!! It waz on a sunny aftanun, waz making lunch and dinner @ d same tym, banga soup for dinner and beans for lunch. Banga has been processed and d juice boilin on d gas cooker, beans has been picked and ready to b washed into d pot of boilin water on a separate pot on d gas cooker. Den it all hapened very fast! I waz carried away in thotz, Beans waz introduced into d pot containin d banga juice instead of d oda pot wit d boilin water! I neva realised wat i did until i wanted to introduce d terrestral and aquatic into d banga, behold, d beans waz dancin alanta inside my banga soup!!!

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by sassyangel1(f): 9:03pm On Aug 24, 2012
i could remember the first day i prepared fried rice.i poured d groundnut oil in2 d pot n threw my washed fresh rice in2 d hot oil and was stirring the rice. I kept stirring the rice till 30 mins without water.dished the rice 4 d family 2 eat.u can imagine d look on their faces. They asked me if it was cracker rice i prepared,i told them it was fried rice.gosh....i wont 4get dt day!
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by jude33084(m): 9:33pm On Aug 24, 2012
In our kitchen back then we had 2 identical kegs; O̶̲̥̅̊nE̶̲̥̅̊ for oil ΆŋԂ τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ other for kero. ♍♈ mom called ♍♈ elder bro Ť☺ prepare beans for launch. We measured 3cups, select τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ stuff ΆŋԂ started cooking, behold ♍♈ bros picked up τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ keg, open it ΆŋԂ pour thinking H̲̅€ was adding oil lipsrsealed only Ť☺ find out Ŧħåϯ we just added kero Ť☺ τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ beans cheesy
Na ♍e first gas out of τ̲̣̣̥н̣̣̣̝̇̇̇ε̲̣̣̣̥ house b4 yawah go land grin
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by jude33084(m): 9:38pm On Aug 24, 2012
nikkyshyne: Adding Alum to Ewedu. I tot it was potash.

Imagine! cheesy
Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by SkyRider1(m): 10:01pm On Aug 24, 2012
I was like 10. My younger sister offered to prepare lunch for Me, my younger brother and herself. cause my mum was nowhere to be found.(she was actually at our former place to sort things out) we just moved into a new house.

After 30 mins we went into the kitchen to see what this Little Madam was preparing..,

Lo n behold, she was boiling only "three numbers of beans" in a large pot filled with water!!!

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by dryakson(m): 10:10pm On Aug 24, 2012
Mine was really funny!
Well, my very first day to cook rice was in the morning, when I mummy when to hospital with my dad.
I wake up to feel my stomach empty, I decided to cook rice for breakfast with my younger sister, I light the stove and put a pot fill with water.
Lol! I filled one big MUDU of rice and pore it in the pot on stove.
B4 I realise, the pot fill and start overflowing, oboi I reduce the rice to another separate pot and put on another stove.
Hahahaha b4 the rice boil, I fill like 5 pot with have done rice, ask I test the rice to see wheda it is ready to eat, it is still hard
To cut the long disaster short, my mumy came and see 5 full pots with have done rice.
My mumy put one full pot 4 me to eat or face the music
I slept with hunger that day
I can't 4get that lovely day in my life
I was 8yrs then

3 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by whiteroses(f): 10:11pm On Aug 24, 2012
Mine is one time I cooked for hubby's friends sad i believed I know how dead people feel that night because I felt dead sad he bought chicken and have always bought from asda this meant its soft chicken but on this faithful day he bought our Tiwan tiwa organic hard chicken and i don't know so I seasoned it like a good girlfriend that tried to impress his friends that I was'. 40 minutes later it dint turn golden like a soft chicken should I thot wtf is going on and gave it another 10 still pale, another 10 etc when I said enough is enough the chicken they hard like rock. Meanwhile the hubby has been saying guys wait for wifey cooking, friends too dey hungry like pickney so I just had to serve it and spread juicy soup on top. I kept quiet and said I don't want to eat. They filled dining table. I lied down on sofa singing unto Jesus I surrender all embarassed as they chopped no one made a sound till rice was half way then I said the chicken is a bit ha.... (before I said hard inst it?) one guy quickly said YES angry then I nervously said oh dint moist hard chicken and I ovened it, one guy then said don't worry and they asked for juice. I was so ashamed me and the bf haven't even mentioned it till today lol

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Worst Cooking Blunder? by MissyB3(f): 10:20pm On Aug 24, 2012
Sky Rider: I was like 10. My younger sister offered to prepare lunch for Me, my younger brother and herself. cause my mum was nowhere to be found.(she was actually at our former place to sort things out) we just moved into a new house.

After 30 mins we went into the kitchen to see what this Little Madam was preparing..,

Lo n behold, she was boiling only "three numbers of beans" in a large pot filled with water!!!
Lmao! grin

whiteroses: Mine is one time I cooked for hubby's friends sad i believed I know how dead people feel that night because I felt dead sad he bought chicken and have always bought from asda this meant its soft chicken but on this faithful day he bought our Tiwan tiwa organic hard chicken and i don't know so I seasoned it like a good girlfriend that tried to impress his friends that I was'. 40 minutes later it dint turn golden like a soft chicken should I thot wtf is going on and gave it another 10 still pale, another 10 etc when I said enough is enough the chicken they hard like rock. Meanwhile the hubby has been saying guys wait for wifey cooking, friends too dey hungry like pickney so I just had to serve it and spread juicy soup on top. I kept quiet and said I don't want to eat. They filled dining table. I lied down on sofa singing unto Jesus I surrender all embarassed as they chopped no one made a sound till rice was half way then I said the chicken is a bit ha.... (before I said hard inst it?) one guy quickly said YES angry then I nervously said oh dint moist hard chicken and I ovened it, one guy then said don't worry and they asked for juice. I was so ashamed me and the bf haven't even mentioned it till today lol
Una will kill me here eh! grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How I Made My Moimoi / Check Out How I Made These Delicious Shortcakes. (In pictures) / Is Fish Meat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.