Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,500 members, 7,904,909 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 09:30 PM

Atheist Convention In Lagos? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Convention In Lagos? (2579 Views)

114 Babies Delivered As RCCG Convention Ends (Photo) / Photo Of Pastor Adeboye And Bishop Oyedepo At A Convention In Ibadan In 1986 / E-Grace Convention 20-14 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 5:36pm On Aug 25, 2012
What do you think about having an atheist convention in Lagos for Nigerians?

Personally, It is not something that would be difficult for me to set up, especially in Lagos since I have links with some hotels that have conference rooms.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/799904_Naija_flag_jpg30eb88b9a3f3281dc7fae113524644c1
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Areaboy2(m): 5:40pm On Aug 25, 2012
Amazing idea man. Something I definitely wouldn't wana miss smiley wink
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 25, 2012
Hope I can make it. Keep me updated.. *can atheist be switched for humanist?*
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by cyrexx: 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2012
musKeeto: Hope I can make it. Keep me updated.. *can atheist be switched for humanist?*

nice point. the word atheist carries a more negative vibration than secular humanist.

by the way such a convention will be a great idea and i wouldnt want to miss it.

and a suggestion: why not find out if any secular humanist group already exist in Lagos and lets work with them instead of you going solo. the more the merrier.
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by jayriginal: 5:58pm On Aug 25, 2012
What would be the aim ?

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:06pm On Aug 25, 2012
musKeeto: Hope I can make it. Keep me updated.. *can atheist be switched for humanist?*

Humanist is okay.

I havent put any plans for it. I'm not even yet in Naija.....just seeing what people think of it
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
cyrexx:

nice point. the word atheist carries a more negative vibration than secular humanist.

by the way such a convention will be a great idea and i wouldnt want to miss it.

and a suggestion: why not find out if any secular humanist group already exist in Lagos and lets work with them instead of you going solo. the more the merrier.

Thats a good idea. Please if anyone knows one, link me to their websites
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:07pm On Aug 25, 2012
jayriginal: What would be the aim ?

You tell me? I need ideas
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Aug 25, 2012
Provide an alternative, I think. See how we can educate people on everything 'religion' ought to have taught them: how to live as a society, taking care of your neighbor... It should be open to theists too, as long as we do not start with prayers and clapping, Im ok with that.. :-)
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by jayriginal: 6:11pm On Aug 25, 2012
MacDaddy01:

You tell me? I need ideas

Cant help bro. Seems odd to me truth be told. If a suitable aim/purpose can be found, I guess it could work. What that aim would be is what I dont know.
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by jayriginal: 6:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
musKeeto:
Provide an alternative, I think. See how we can educate people on everything 'religion' ought to have taught them: how to live as a society, taking care of your neighbor... It should be open to theists too, as long as we do not start with prayers and clapping, Im ok with that.. :-)

grin
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:13pm On Aug 25, 2012
musKeeto:

Thanks a lot!
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by hadbak: 6:20pm On Aug 25, 2012
Wait pls let me get tis str8t.. Quote me if I'm wrong. We talkg of an agnostic hia. Wht benefit could tis b of?
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 6:58pm On Aug 25, 2012
hadbak: Wait pls let me get tis str8t.. Quote me if I'm wrong. We talkg of an agnostic hia. Wht benefit could tis b of?

For all unbeliever, how we can share how to advance knowledge and humanistic principles in niaja
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Areaboy2(m): 7:12pm On Aug 25, 2012
hadbak: Wait pls let me get tis str8t.. Quote me if I'm wrong. We talkg of an agnostic hia. Wht benefit could tis b of?

it's open for all to brainstorm and come up with ideas and suggestions. I'm sure we can come up with something intresting to get the E=MC2 ball rolling tongue
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by ijawkid(m): 8:01pm On Aug 25, 2012
I go come throw C-4 for the venue o...lol

Just joking..

Make sure some muslims dnt get to u guys
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by plaetton: 8:09pm On Aug 25, 2012
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.nairaland.com/35464/humanism-sensible-replacement-religion&sa=U&ei=myA5UM__II-uqQGj-4HwCg&ved=0CA4QFjAEOAo&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNHCX25FNDQ3BrIKGILbLpzaiBCVRA

Re: lets work together by plaetton: 5:17pm On Jan 09
Hhhmm. I have mixed feelings about this idea.
First, forming an organization for the sole purpose of discountenancing an entrenched beilief may sound like forming another belief system,aka religion. But at the same time, we are all witnesses to the havoc that religion is wrecking on our nation mentally(fear, superstition and confusion and low IQ), economically(financial robbery in the form of tithes and other sundry levies) and physically(death and destrcuction by religious fanatics). Should we just look away and remain passive, or present to the captive masses ,an alternative worldview?. In Nigeria, we are all affected one way or the other by the relgious beiliefs of others around us, and ofetn we endure the insults and opt to suffer silence. Should we fight back with the only weapon availabale to us-Reason? Would an ahties orgnaization not just become another competing religion?
I would support such if it functions in the form a humanist intstitute whose primary purpose is to enlighten and educate anyone willing and open to new ideas. Such an organisation can open bookshops where seekers can find enlightening books to read. Such an organisation can organise lessons and lectures in philosophy, history, archeaology and scientific trends.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
It seems this thing is becoming a religion...gringrin, una go soon get pastors
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 8:21pm On Aug 25, 2012
seriallink: It seems this thing is becoming a religion...gringrin, una go soon get pastors

Hater
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 25, 2012
I'd love to attend, if only to scope the man-offerings. Lol. Seriously though, I'd love to attend...but I'm not in Lagos and haven't been so I might get lost...I'm too pretty to be kidnapped, those guys might get other ideas. Lol.
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 25, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Hater

I'm no hater Logic, hehehehe! I wish una gudluck .... gringrin
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by turnstoner(m): 8:34pm On Aug 25, 2012
seriallink: It seems this thing is becoming a religion...gringrin, una go soon get pastors
nothing wrong with having pastors as long as the pastors dont tell their followers they have a revealation from an unseen god, and their is hell to pay if you dont do as they say, ask for as for money.
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by hadbak: 8:39pm On Aug 25, 2012
. Contrary to what most people think, humanism is not a philosophy of love, peace and brotherhood; but an anti-religious way of thinking that focuses on the concept of humanity—of simply being human, and nothing more—as a person’s single goal.
As its adherents openly state, humanism is an atheistic movement. According to humanism, man and the universe were not created. Man came into being spontaneously and is not responsible to any other beings. The essential thing is man himself, and no entity is more important than man.
As you have gathered, moreover, what dominates humanism is the idea of self-interest.
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by plaetton: 8:52pm On Aug 25, 2012
hadbak: . Contrary to what most people think, humanism is not a philosophy of love, peace and brotherhood; but an anti-religious way of thinking that focuses on the concept of humanity—of simply being human, and nothing more—as a person’s single goal.
As its adherents openly state, humanism is an atheistic movement. According to humanism, man and the universe were not created. Man came into being spontaneously and is not responsible to any other beings. The essential thing is man himself, and no entity is more important than man.
As you have gathered, moreover, what dominates humanism is the idea of self-interest.

I hate when people come here to display either insufficient knowledge or outright lies.
Which does this fit into?
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by turnstoner(m): 8:58pm On Aug 25, 2012
Atheists, humanists etc need a political agenda. I hereby suggest one: The need to strengthen the law and order system (policing). Too many Nigerians believe that there is punishment or reward hereafter and would rather leave grieviances for ''God to Judge''.We cant afford to wait until everyone goes to church on sundays. We must make laws and enforce them here on earth.Make laws work!

1 Like

Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 25, 2012
turnstoner: Atheists, humanists etc need a political agenda. I hereby suggest one: The need to strengthen the law and order system (policing). Too many Nigerians believe that there is punishment or reward hereafter and would rather leave grieviances for ''God to Judge''.We cant afford to wait until everyone goes to church on sundays. We must make laws and enforce them here on earth.Make laws work!
_
Halleluia somebody! Amen brother! Preach! Yessss! Let the spirit mooove you!!! Yay!!! Somebody say N'abania!
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 9:10pm On Aug 25, 2012
SimonAndal: I'd love to attend, if only to scope the man-offerings. Lol. Seriously though, I'd love to attend...but I'm not in Lagos and haven't been so I might get lost...I'm too pretty to be kidnapped, those guys might get other ideas. Lol.

You and your gay thoughts.

Better calm down until the atheists arrive.

The religious bigots in Naija put a law that makes for the imprisonment of gays for 14 years

1 Like

Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 9:11pm On Aug 25, 2012
plaetton:

I hate when people come here to display either insufficient knowledge or outright lies.

The guy is just brainwashed. Simple.
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by hadbak: 9:13pm On Aug 25, 2012
plaetton:

dumbest things EVER said. Wht is insuficient or lies about ma commentst?folow up coments..fuckface!
Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 25, 2012
to worship the devil and to burn incense and bow down to golden calves grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by Nobody: 9:19pm On Aug 25, 2012
it is a religion. religion simply means 'dedication'
these atheists aint smart enough to realize that they are in a religion though grin

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Convention In Lagos? by MacDaddy01: 9:23pm On Aug 25, 2012
hadbak: dumbest things EVER said. Wht is insuficient or lies about ma commentst?folow up coments..fuckface!

Who told you that secular humanism is anti-religious? Gerrout with your lies. Educate yourself

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=library&page=cherry1_18_1

(1) (2) (Reply)

When God Doesn't Make Sense. / Ebony Is Not Dead, I Will Bring Her Back To Life – Prophetess Speaks Out / Is Mary Omnipresent Like God That She Can Hear All Those Praying To Her?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.