Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,899 members, 7,922,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 08:31 PM

African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! (8405 Views)

I Am Dominican From Dominica Republic... ASK Me Anything. / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Goop: 5:49pm On Nov 08, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS AND COMPLETE DITORTION OF HISTOR! angry
THE NARRATOR HIMSELF IS A BLACK SUPERMACIST! LOL @ BLACKS HAVING CONTROLLING INFLUENCE OVER NATIVE TRIBAL CHIEFS!!!!!! grin grin

Is this native/white woman giving the scholastic peer reviewed narrative the accounts of the black/gullah seminoles(who were the MAJORITY of the "seminole warriors" as noted by whites exploring central florida at the time) essentially defeating the American army a "black supremacist" too? LMAA(African American)AO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0j8xgxjTY

And if you want to read the whole story you can check out this research essay drafted by a commitee of PH.D scholars at Indiana University on the black/gullah seminoles. All facts documented & sourced.......
https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/2022/7603/umi-indiana-1694.pdf?sequence=1

Amazing how a group of African American slaves could have gathered the courage to not only escape slavery, but settle on a land totally foreign to them and their ancestors, gather arms together within Seminole indian territory, take on and BEAT the American army in NUMEROUS battles, eventually forcing the hand of one of America's most mighty generals, Thomas Jesup-"Father of the Modern Quartermaster Corps", to formally emancipate them to their freedom in the West. It would be this event along with the creole ship revolt(another succuessful AA slave revolt) that would greatly influnce the call for the emancipation of slaves in America. Meanwhile, West Africans were letting Britain and France waltz right into THEIR LAND, draw up fake boards, siphon their most valuable resources, impose an imperialist rein that would last for decades over them, and not even break a sweat in doing so...........Talk about pathetic

3 Likes

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 9:19pm On Nov 08, 2012
Viewing this topic: Araboy( m)

Omggggg araboooy! cheesy
Where have u been?!

Its msdarkskin btw!
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Dsense(m): 12:04am On Nov 09, 2012
Always stalking dudes.. grin
*Kails*:

Omggggg araboooy! cheesy
Where have u been?!

Its msdarkskin btw!
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 2:03am On Nov 09, 2012
D-sense:
Always stalking dudes.. grin

shut up there big head. tongue kiss
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 2:06am On Nov 09, 2012
How are those Egyptian camel rides? grin
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:04pm On Nov 09, 2012
Goop:

Is this native/white woman giving the scholastic peer reviewed narrative the accounts of the black/gullah seminoles(who were the MAJORITY of the "seminole warriors" as noted by whites exploring central florida at the time) essentially defeating the American army a "black supremacist" too? LMAA(African American)O!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E0j8xgxjTY

And if you want to read the whole story you can check out this research essay drafted by a commitee of PH.D scholars at Indiana University on the black/gullah seminoles. All facts documented & sourced.......
https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/2022/7603/umi-indiana-1694.pdf?sequence=1

Amazing how a group of African American slaves could have gathered the courage to not only escape slavery, but settle on a land totally foreign to them and their ancestors, gather arms together within Seminole indian territory, take on and BEAT the American army in NUMEROUS battles, eventually forcing the hand of one of America's most mighty generals, Thomas Jesup-"Father of the Modern Quartermaster Corps", to formally emancipate them to their freedom in the West. It would be this event along with the creole ship revolt(another succuessful AA slave revolt) that would greatly influnce the call for the emancipation of slaves in America. Meanwhile, West Africans were letting Britain and France waltz right into THEIR LAND, draw up fake boards, siphon their most valuable resources, impose an imperialist rein that would last for decades over them, and not even break a sweat in doing so...........Pathetic

THEY WERE NOT MAJORITY! DONT LIE AND EXAGGERATE! YOU FELLOWS ARE BEING PATHETIC! angry angry angry angry
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Goop: 5:20pm On Nov 09, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

THEY WERE NOT MAJORITY! DONT LIE AND EXAGGERATE! YOU FELLOWS ARE BEING PATHETIC! angry angry angry angry

Official documented quote from General Thomas Jeusp to the Acting Secretary of War Benjamin Butler. -(Volusia), Flordia December 9, 1836

"If I should not succeed in dislodging Powell [Osceola], I can on returning to this place, strike Micanopy, Philip, and Cooper, who are about a day's march from each other, each with from one hundred and twenty to two hundred Indian and negro warriors -- the latter, perhaps, the more numerous. My object will be to strike them in succession, and prevent them from congregating"

http://books.google.com/books?id=cYgFAAAAQAAJ&lpg=RA2-PA52&dq=If%20I%20should%20not%20succeed%20in%20dislodging%20Powell&pg=RA2-PA52#v=onepage&q=If%20I%20should%20not%20succeed%20in%20dislodging%20Powell&f=false

Knowing that posting this info makes you and "your's" feel inadequate, I will risk the emotional backlash from it anyway for the sake of the rest of the sensible readers that stroll this forum. cool Peace!

1 Like

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 2:33am On Nov 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

jealous? grin
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 11:25am On Nov 10, 2012
amor4ce: Why are African-Americans associated so much with fried chicken?

I think it's because we like it...

2 Likes

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 11:27am On Nov 10, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
why didnt your slave ancestors fight to the death against the slavers rathar than face degradation and slavery if many of them would have martyred themselves, more slaves would not have been shipped from Africa and slavery would have ended sooner. .

Hmmm, good question. As strong Africans....I don't know why they didn't fight to the death.

1 Like

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 11:28am On Nov 10, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
Buzzy!!!!!!! I see you came back swinging huh?

I like you so I will attempt to be nice until otherwise. Hope you get some thought provoking and intellectual questions. Muah.

My favorite forum babe.... ;-)
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 11:30am On Nov 10, 2012
amor4ce: Why are African-Americans associated so much with fried chicken?

As a people we have always loved chicken from our roots where chicken was mostly eating during festive times.
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 11:32am On Nov 10, 2012
BelaMorena:

Indeed. smiley

African Americans are not a homogenous group.
I think it is a great injustice to try to group us all as "the same".
There is A LOT of diversity within the black American population that is ignored.

It needs to be studied more and brought to the forefront.

Actually there is alot of diversity all over the world, it's just that in some lands it's alot less obvious
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by buzzedoffbeauty(f): 11:34am On Nov 10, 2012
Thank you guys for the questions. I'm glad to know that most of you don't have crazy stereo types about African Americans. This shows progress,thank you for participating... ;-)

Be on the look out for future videos of tantalizing topics, Love, Beauty, and my favorite....Romance ;-)
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Goop: 4:18pm On Nov 10, 2012
buzzedoffbeauty:

Hmmm, good question. As strong Africans....I don't know why they didn't fight to the death.

They did. (continental)West Africans didn't.
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 8:48pm On Nov 10, 2012
Goop:

They did. (continental)West Africans didn't.

Exactly. Central and southern africans WENT IN on their wars against the europeans. Of course traitors were their downfall.

And some of our ancestors DID fight to the death, at least those who were on the ships and in the new world. And even then they were mostly akan and again central africans.

But i cant think of any continental west africans who did other than the FEW...i repeat, FEW TRUE AND HEROIC West Africans who tried to save our ancestors.... thats pretty damn sad.

1 Like

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by MrsChima(f): 9:05pm On Nov 10, 2012
Damn...where was I at?

I see you Sis! grin grin tongue tongue

Dsense finally stole some internet!

1 Like

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by MrsChima(f): 9:08pm On Nov 10, 2012
*Kails*:

Exactly. Central and southern africans WENT IN on their wars against the europeans. Of course traitors were their downfall.

And some of our ancestors DID fight to the death, at least those who were on the ships and in the new world. And even then they were mostly akan and again central africans.

But i cant think of any continental west africans who did other than the FEW...i repeat, FEW TRUE AND HEROIC West Africans who tried to save our ancestors.... thats pretty damn sad.

Well Sis...they cant fight for what they sold. It is like trying to steal something that was yours originally. It is sad though.

1 Like

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Goop: 10:53pm On Nov 10, 2012
*Kails*:

What you are saying is true, you don't even need to mention the obviousness of what the zulus did to the british or how the Kongo Empire handled the Portuguese on the continent. One only has to point to the marital arts of the African diaspora that were birthed from Central African Engolo fighting style that struck fear in the hearts of slavers at the time- The Capoeira of Bahia, Brazil(the most well known); The knocking and kicking of Lowland country Georgia & South Carolina; and I forget what the names were in Jamaica and Cuba because they are extinct, as far as I can tell. These would become the some of the main reasons slave traders, began to deviate from bringing captives from CenAfr and began to look towards the W.Afr who they saw as more docile and obedient than the CenAfr Bantus.

In fact runaway slave advertisements in South Carolina in the 1730s noted that %57 were of Angolan-Kongo ancestry, although they only made up about %40 of the total amount of Africans shipped to SC at the time. They were clearly the rebels of the bunch. Although like you said the Akan were shown to be no pushovers in the new world as well, as seen in the Maroons(who are mostly derived from Akan slaves) of Jamaica who won their freedom in a somewhat similar fashion to the Black/Gullah Seminoles of America. It should also be noted that the Bambara people of Upper West Africa in the Senegambia Region who were the ones who kicked off the L’Annibal french vessel revolt while the ship was headed to Louisiana killing all but four of the whites on the ship, then escaping on land and intermingling with the natives(this strong African cultural retention, mixed with native and french practices would eventually create what we now know as louisiana creole culture aka MY heritage grin) , and it would be Senegambians and their descedants that were either maroons or plantation slaves with native that would once again commence to completely destroying the French fort in Louisiana of St. Rosalie in the Natchez Massacre, of 1729. Like you, I can't think of any resistance of Europeans coming from the Niger-Delta region, or any of the other West African regions or by their descendants in any significance, expect maybe the few skirmishes put up by the Fula based calvary against the British in what is today Northern Nigeria, and that was in the 20th century AFTER the slavery and the slave trade in the New World.

*Side Note*- The L'Annibal ship revolt of African(Bambara) captives heading to Louisiana is not to be confused with another successful rebellion, the Creole Ship revolt of American born AA slaves in 1841 of a ship coming from Virginia to Louisiana, but never made it, and instead landing in the Bahamas.

1 Like

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Goop: 5:35am On Nov 11, 2012
"The negroes, from the commencement of the Florida war, have, for their numbers, been the most formidable foe, more blood-thirsty, active, and revengeful, than the Indian .... For them to surrender would be servitude to the whites; but to retain an open warfare, secured to them plunder, liberty, and importance." -- Lieutenant John T. Sprague
http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00101389/00001/20j

*PAGAN 9JA sheds a tear* LMAAAO!

3 Likes

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Denise216(f): 6:35am On Nov 11, 2012
buzzedoffbeauty: I believe there are many things people assume about African Americans a.k.a black americans ( black is a color not a nationality by the way). You wouldn't believe some of the questions I've been asked over the years for instance.... I could be somewhere with a nigerian lady, usually in the age rage of 30's and up and has recently come to the states, a person I don't know from Adam can walk by and I'm asked....why is she talking like that? lol! Like I have the answer for the general population of black women.... I'll say...I don't know, then the women may say but.... it's your people....ugh undecided undecided undecided......interesting.

I think those who don't mingle with African Americans of the states are extremely curious about many things...this leads to preconceived notions that are sometimes true and sometimes far from it. I don't think it's ignorance so please don't post that here....it's just lack of understanding.
I may not have all the answers and some ladies can help me out as needed.

Here's a Q&A I get often....Q:Where are you from? A: Mississippi Q:Is that where slavery was A: Yes but slavery existed throughout the states for a period of time until the northerners no longer wanted it...we then had a civil war. The population of slaves were heavy in the south due to the picking of cotton. Q: Do you guys still pick cotton? A: For the most part no, there has been advancement in technology so machines can do it but there are some small farms who still employee people to pick cotton by hand; I've never actually seen them but have heard friends mention about 15 years ago of going there to work for the summer ( for pay).

Please list your question below and try to be nice....if the question is sexually explicit, try to be mature on your approach of asking it. Thanks.

My fam is from MS! Since you're Southern, what do you like most about Southern AA culture?
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by amor4ce(m): 11:50pm On Nov 11, 2012
The Benin resisted at some point but were severely punished by the Brits.

In Yorubaland the invasion of the colonial Brits had been prophesied implying that it was gonna happen. The Brits came at a time there had been warfare among the Yoruba who had been getting weary therefrom. It is not as if the Yoruba could not have fought against the Europeans but wisdom had to be applied for self-preservation. The Europeans had superior firepower and could have wiped out almost entire populations thus denying trans-Atlantic slaves a connection to their heritage.

The Ijebu, a Yoruba subgroup, did fight the Brits but were terribly overpowered. The Egba had been monitoring the outcome of that battle in preparation to join the resistance but, upon hearing the news of the defeat and manner of defeat of the Ijebu who were regarded as one of the toughest Yoruba peoples, had to abandon their plan. Similarly, other Yoruba peoples had to capitulate. Google 'Jebu wars'.

To regard West African peoples as docile for not gaining any memorable victory via violence against the Europeans is, in my opinion, very very dull and serves to cement the opinion of white supremacists that blacks have low (retarrded) IQ (Jeremiah 25 & 27). Violence has not gotten blacks freedom but hardship e.g. Haiti. The constant referral to former slaves that rebelled and established their own communities, to ancient black history and the likes is like we blacks consoling ourselves rather than knowing ourselves (again, my opinion). Violence begets violence, is no cure for stuupidity (e.g measuring ourselves against and aspiring to live like the Europeans whose lives generally are full of abominations), and cannot work because the Indo-Europeans are the violent ones who took 'heaven' by force and divided it among themselves.

Back to topic

buzzedoffbeauty, how far along have you gone in learning about your heritage?

1 Like

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 1:14am On Nov 13, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Well Sis...they cant fight for what they sold. It is like trying to steal something that was yours originally. It is sad though.

true lol.
Very true.
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 1:25am On Nov 13, 2012
Goop:

What you are saying is true, you don't even need to mention the obviousness of what the zulus did to the british or how the Kongo Empire handled the Portuguese on the continent. One only has to point to [size=18pt]the martial arts of the African diaspora that were birthed from Central African Engolo fighting style that struck fear in the hearts of slavers at the time- The Capoeira of Bahia, Brazil(the most well known[/size]); The knocking and kicking of Lowland country Georgia & South Carolina; and I forget what the names were in Jamaica and Cuba because they are extinct, as far as I can tell. These would become the some of the main reasons slave traders,[size=18pt]began to deviate from bringing captives from CenAfr and began to look towards the W.Afr who they saw as more docile and obedient than the CenAfr Bantus[/size].

GBAM!! I have always said it that central Africans have the heaviest influence on us in the diaspora. Not because they were many or better but because they were more fierce. They led most of the rebellions in the west which is why their cultures have survived for so long. From the 1500s up until now, you can still see evidence of their influence on us. And yes, the Afro Brazilian martial arts are Central African in origin.

In fact runaway slave advertisements in South Carolina in the 1730s noted that %57 were of Angolan-Kongo ancestry, although they only made up about %40 of the total amount of Africans shipped to SC at the time. They were clearly the rebels of the bunch

The first Africans in the west were central African Angolan-Kongolese..I forgot which documentary I watched but it discussed the hell they gave the whites. grin And as you mentioned so much so, they ppl were afraid to purchase slaves of central African descent.

In fact many south carolinian blacks have direct relationships with Jamaicans because of our Angolan ancestors. Again I forgot the name of the documentary (was on the history channel) which explained how one group in particular that were fierce warriors from North West Angola who were tricked and separated. Some were sent to North America while others, the caribbean. When the ones in Jamaica revolted and it was printed in the papers, those in south carolina revolted as well. Their tactics were the exact same. They would behead the first whites they would see and display them on posts as a "warning". Unfortunately because they were in the west and therefore could not escape after their deed many would be captured, tried and executed.

Although like you said the Akan were shown to be no pushovers in the new world as well, as seen in the Maroons(who are mostly derived from Akan slaves) of Jamaica who won their freedom in a somewhat similar fashion to the Black/Gullah Seminoles of America.

Exactly. Our national heroes were mostly Akan-Ashanti and central African in origin. Nanny of the Maroons and her brothers Kofi and Cudjoe were born in Ghana. But their muscle men were central Africans mostly.

It should also be noted that the Bambara people of Upper West Africa in the Senegambia Region who were the ones who kicked off the L’Annibal french vessel revolt while the ship was headed to Louisiana killing all but four of the whites on the ship, then escaping on land and intermingling with the natives(this strong African cultural retention, mixed with native and french practices would eventually create what we now know as louisiana creole culture aka MY heritage grin) , and it would be Senegambians and their descedants that were either maroons or plantation slaves with native that would once again commence to completely destroying the French fort in Louisiana of St. Rosalie in the Natchez Massacre, of 1729.

Interesting...but you do know a lot of the origins of the Louisiana creoles were of Haitian descent. And we know that Haitians were one of the most rebellious in the new world. It's sad though what happened that some Creoles were ashamed of their roots and yet the had a rich history.

Like you, I can't think of any resistance of Europeans coming from the Niger-Delta region, or any of the other West African regions or by their descendants in any significance, expect maybe the few skirmishes put up by the Fula based calvary against the British in what is today Northern Nigeria, and that was in the 20th century AFTER the slavery and the slave trade in the New World.

Exactly. The Fulani who were sent to Jamaica and Brazil were very intelligent people. They were the most literate of Africans in the west. And they did revolt true enough. But this as you said was long after the central African revolts which spooked the hell out of whites. grin

*Side Note*- The L'Annibal ship revolt of African(Bambara) captives heading to Louisiana is not to be confused with another successful rebellion, the Creole Ship revolt of American born AA slaves in 1841 of a ship coming from Virginia to Louisiana, but never made it, and instead landing in the Bahamas.

Hmmmm....I need to read about this...very interesting stuff! wink

But central African slaves were so feared that our Kumina (Congolese) dances in Jamaica and bantu style drumming in Jamaica and Brazil were outlawed! grin grin

The slavers claimed the drumming invited bad karma on them, which is partly true because many times the drumming was like an energy boost and a representation of "home" for the slaves who would become enraged and revolt.
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 1:38am On Nov 13, 2012
this shyt is awesome! grin

[size=18pt]Brazilian martial art, Capoeira[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFcgpOKNFE

[size=18pt]central african martial arts demonstration.[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHdQwY1Uw8

from the comments:
it's an ancient art but it sucks compared to how the tribe still do it in africa. just one of the tribes man would murder 1000 bruce lee's

grin

Anyway, I think the brazilians did a better job of demonstrating it since
they did it much faster which is how it is during real combat.

[size=18pt]History of capoeira[/size]

History
In early 1600's, Africa was invaded by European nations such as Portugal, Spain, Holland, England and France. They forced their way into the heart of the land and peoples, enslaved them, and packed them into ships to their so called New World, The Americas. These Africans came from many different groups and tribes such as the Kongo, The Ovimbundu, Kikongo, Ioruba, Zulu, Wolof, Mandinke, Hausa, Ibo, Dinka, etc...

Since they were subjected to all kinds of physical abuse, Capoeira was used as a tool of self-defense. Many slaves ran away to form Quilombos, communities of free slaves. The most known of them all is the Quilombo dos Palmares whose king was Zumbi. Capoeira was very much practiced and preserved and used as war strategies against the Portuguese and the Dutch armies whose desire was to destroy these communities and force the people back into slavery.

by Totti Angola

The origins of Capoeira Angola are related to many central African cultural manifestations including the ancient N'golo from the Mucupe People of Angola. The word "n'golo" in Kikongo, a language spoken in Angola and Congo, means "force" or power.
N'golo also refers to the dance of the Zebras. The dance was a part of a rite of passage in which young men competed. The young man who gave the best presentation of balance, grace, and flexibility was able to marry without paying the traditional bride-price.

by Prof. Daniel Dawson

The name zumbi is also what the word "Zombie" comes from. Did you know that? wink
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 2:02am On Nov 13, 2012
Goop: "The negroes, from the commencement of the Florida war, have, for their numbers, been the most formidable foe, more blood-thirsty, active, and revengeful, than the Indian .... For them to surrender would be servitude to the whites; but to retain an open warfare, secured to them plunder, liberty, and importance." -- Lieutenant John T. Sprague
http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00101389/00001/20j

*PAGAN 9JA sheds a tear* LMAAAO!

[size=28pt]SLAYED![/size]
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Goop: 8:29pm On Nov 15, 2012
*Kails*:

GBAM!! I have always said it that central Africans have the heaviest influence on us in the diaspora. Not because they were many or better but because they were more fierce. They led most of the rebellions in the west which is why their cultures have survived for so long. From the 1500s up until now, you can still see evidence of their influence on us. And yes, the Afro Brazilian martial arts are Central African in origin.

Yes, absolutely. You have to take into account that that for the context in which europeans first arrived in Africa. In west Africa from the time they landed they knew it was prime for slave trading and colonization, in fact the first slave sold to the Portuguese was by a West AFrican Guinea slave trader(traitor). Whereas in CenAfr the Portuguese were for the most part subservient merchants to the laws of the Kingdom of Kongo, who although they practiced indentured servitude, were against the Atlantic slave trade. Most of the slaves the Portuguese got from CenAfr were true captives, illegally stolen from there land. This in part would compel the Kingdom of Kongo to go to war with the Portuguese in 1622 and all but banish them from the CenAfr region. So, it's no surprise the CenAfr captured against their will, for the most part of unbeknownst reasons, would be more enraged by it than West African that were already serfs to a chiefs and kings that were in cahoots with Europeans slave traders the whole time.

*Kails*:

The first Africans in the west were central African Angolan-Kongolese..I forgot which documentary I watched but it discussed the hell they gave the whites. grin And as you mentioned so much so, they ppl were afraid to purchase slaves of central African descent.

In fact many south carolinian blacks have direct relationships with Jamaicans because of our Angolan ancestors. Again I forgot the name of the documentary (was on the history channel) which explained how one group in particular that were fierce warriors from North West Angola who were tricked and separated. Some were sent to North America while others, the caribbean. When the ones in Jamaica revolted and it was printed in the papers, those in south carolina revolted as well. Their tactics were the exact same. They would behead the first whites they would see and display them on posts as a "warning". Unfortunately because they were in the west and therefore could not escape after their deed many would be captured, tried and executed.

Exactly. Our national heroes were mostly Akan-Ashanti and central African in origin. Nanny of the Maroons and her brothers Kofi and Cudjoe were born in Ghana. But their muscle men were central Africans mostly.
Wow, I didn't know that. To kick off a revolt in the exact same manner as another group on an island thousands of miles away shows one hell of a dedication the people had towards their tradition and a consistent mental fortitude.

I theorize that most of the black seminoles warrior were derived from CenAfrs as well, as there was a prominent black seminole settlement in Florida that the warriors themselves called *ANGOLA*. Sadly it was later destroyed by Creek slave raiders working for the the US army. Although, many of the the black seminole then and still to this day go by West AFrican naming practices, and some have actual West African surnames TODAY!

*Kails*:

Interesting...but you do know a lot of the origins of the Louisiana creoles were of Haitian descent. And we know that Haitians were one of the most rebellious in the new world. It's sad though what happened that some Creoles were ashamed of their roots and yet the had a rich history.

Ehh, while there's no denying that there were a lot of the slaves and free man immigrants from Haiti that came to came to New Orleans in the late 18 century, did leave a cultural impact, thus a lot of AAs from the region are partly descendant from them(me included), Louisiana was already a thriving French hub for slavery with direct connections to Africa in it's own right. I notice sometimes people tend to overstate the amount of black slaves that came from Africa, but via the Caribbean sometimes, especially conserning that of Louisiana. Most the Africans that came to America came DIRECTLY from Africa, just like any other place in the diaspora, I think people sometimes confuse the slave trader stopping in an island such as Hispaniola as a resting point to refuel, before heading to North America, with them dropping off all of the African slaves in the Caribbean, and taking the Caribbean born slaves to America, and such was not the case for the most part. And people also tend to forget that there were plenty of America born slaves(essentially AAs) that ended up in the Caribbean in the 18th and 19th century. I kid you not the Bahamas had 3 to 4 different significant migrations of AAs to the island in the 18th & 19th century, hell there is a black seminole community on Andro Island in the Bahamas TODAY. There are also black seminole and regular Gullah descendants in Cuba. There was a significant migration of AAs(slaves and free) from Louisiana that spoke Louisiana Creole, practiced voodoo, were catholic etc etc, so they assimilated in Haiti pretty well. There are a group of AA descendants in Trinidad called the Merikens(how the Trini people interpreted the pronunciation of "Americans" by heavy AA vernacular english speakers) and another group of AA descedants in the Dominican Republic called Sanama Americans today. Let us not forget that there was an AA presence in Jamaica during the 18th and 19th century as well one of which was a pastor/abolitionist who founded the First African Bapist church in Georgia in 1773, named George Lisle. He would later leave for Jamaica as a missionary and organize the Baptist church chain movement there, that of which gave rise to Jamaica's great Bapist revolutionary deacons such as Sam Sharpe and Paul Bogle. Many of the Creole ship revolters in 1841 were taken to Jamaica upon landing in the Bahamas as well. So, yes many(not most) AAs do have African ancestry via Afro-Caribbeans, but many(not most) Afro-Caribbeans draw their African ancestry via African Americans as well. smiley

Also, there's a difference in what is considered culturally creole, and racially creole in Louisiana. Racially creole are basically what we called now tri-racials ie Apprx.(%33 African/Native/Euro) For the ones I know they either are assimilated into the general AA population(since anglos imposed the one drop rule on them after the Louisiana purchase) or they make up there own communities and tend to mostly identify with French culture, and sometimes native, while shunning Africanisms. Culturally creole in Louisiana is mostly what is practiced by that of black Louisianians, and reflect strong African cultural retentions in Louisiana, such is why Louisiana creole is considered a BLACK/AA language and not that of mixed people.(I could make a whole thread about that alone, so I'll move on for now lol). 3 out of 4 of my grandparents come from a Louisiana creole background, although I consider myself an Afro-Texan(which in itself it heavily influence by Afro-Louisiana culture), because I was born here and it reflects by paternal heritage, and it's only natural for a male such as myself to identify more with their paternal side- I'm only one fourth TRUE Afro-Texan(a descendant of slaves born in Texas).

*Kails*:

Exactly. The Fulani who were sent to Jamaica and Brazil were very intelligent people. They were the most literate of Africans in the west. And they did revolt true enough. But this as you said was long after the central African revolts which spooked the hell out of whites. grin

Yes, there were many famous Fulas in America as well, know for there literacy in Arabic among other languages as well. It is also heavy theorized that Fulani cattle herding and calvary techniques are what gave birth to the cowboy culture in America, as the patterns match up directly with that used by fulas, and not the spanish as once though. In fact after the abolishment of the slave trade in America in 1808. Texas(my stategrin), became a hot spot for illegal trafficking of most fula slaves to work on ranches in the new anglo settlements(as Texas was not officially apart of the union yet), through the port of Galveston and the Sabine Estuaries(I used to go fishing with my pops as a kid in BOTH of those places!). They were smuggled in with cattle from AFrica which lead to another fun fact. DId you know that the world famous Texas Longhorn is basically just a domesticated cousin of West African Red cattle(used by Fulanis)? Same genetic species and everything.

*Kails*:

Hmmmm....I need to read about this...very interesting stuff! wink

But central African slaves were so feared that our Kumina (Congolese) dances in Jamaica and bantu style drumming in Jamaica and Brazil were outlawed! grin grin

The slavers claimed the drumming invited bad karma on them, which is partly true because many times the drumming was like an energy boost and a representation of "home" for the slaves who would become enraged and revolt.

Yes, unfortunately these traditions in North America were quickly stomped out by then experienced Anglo settlers. The akan drum was probably the last of the percussion instruments from Africa to survive, you can see water color depictions of plantation slaves playing it as late as the mid 18th century, and also a REAL one in the museum of Virginia. Although there were many string and wind instruments from AFrica in America today that survived the transatlantic slave trade(I will probably make a post about that later grin). The ring shouting and jazz music that was born in a place called Congo squarewink in New Orleans is probably the most tangible Kongo influences that we have in Louisiana. The rest are senegambian derived mostly.

2 Likes

Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Goop: 9:18pm On Nov 15, 2012
*Kails*:
this shyt is awesome! grin

[size=18pt]Brazilian martial art, Capoeira[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFcgpOKNFE

[size=18pt]central african martial arts demonstration.[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lHdQwY1Uw8

from the comments:

grin

Anyway, I think the brazilians did a better job of demonstrating it since
they did it much faster which is how it is during real combat.

The name zumbi is also what the word "Zombie" comes from. Did you know that? wink

Yes, Engolo also gave birth to another less well known secret fighting style of the Gullahs in North America called Knocking and Kicking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVmaxACZAPA

It's appears similar to Capoeira expect it utlizes striking with more parts of the body in headbutts, knees, and elbows.
http://www.amazon.com/Fighting-Honor-Atlantic-Carolina-Lowcountry/dp/1570037183
^^^^There's a good book on it that I would recommend reading.

Here's a practical application of Capoeria being used in a kick boxing match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKNeXBluj8

^^^The only words I have for that. lol And I've known about King Zumbi of the Quilombo for a while, but I didn't know that's were the word "Zombie" came from. lol DAMN!
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 15, 2012
Whoa! Where have i been? Ill be back asap to read watch and respond.. smiley

Thanks bro.
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Goop: 1:03am On Nov 18, 2012
*Kails*:
Whoa! Where have i been? Ill be back asap to read watch and respond.. smiley

Thanks bro.

lol Don't mention it.
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by Horus(m): 3:58am On Nov 18, 2012
KingMichael:

I don't think Haitian and Jamaicans are related to Gullahs IMO.. They kinda speak the same language(Patois), but many Jamaicans still say Gullah Patois is different. And I think Gullahs are mainly from Sierra Leone and many Jamaicans are from Ghana.

Wars against whites in Central and West Africa is hardly mention... But we mostly hear about the Zulu's. But the Ashanti's did way better against the British than Zulu's.

I agree there are still some AA in America that do speak Yoruba and they still practice West African traditions.

Most of the Haitians originate from Dahomey in Africa. I understand their language but I am not fluent in speaking it.
Re: African American: Ask Me Anything....I Think...lol! by PhysicsQED(m): 11:47pm On Nov 25, 2012
Goop:
What you are saying is true, you don't even need to mention the obviousness of what the zulus did to the british or how the Kongo Empire handled the Portuguese on the continent. One only has to point to the marital arts of the African diaspora that were birthed from Central African Engolo fighting style that struck fear in the hearts of slavers at the time- The Capoeira of Bahia, Brazil(the most well known); The knocking and kicking of Lowland country Georgia & South Carolina; and I forget what the names were in Jamaica and Cuba because they are extinct, as far as I can tell. These would become the some of the main reasons slave traders, began to deviate from bringing captives from CenAfr and began to look towards the W.Afr who they saw as more docile and obedient than the CenAfr Bantus.

Like you, I can't think of any resistance of Europeans coming from the Niger-Delta region, or any of the other West African regions or by their descendants in any significance, expect maybe the few skirmishes put up by the Fula based calvary against the British in what is today Northern Nigeria, and that was in the 20th century AFTER the slavery and the slave trade in the New World.

Goop:

Yes, absolutely. You have to take into account that that for the context in which europeans first arrived in Africa. In west Africa from the time they landed they knew it was prime for slave trading and colonization, in fact the first slave sold to the Portuguese was by a West AFrican Guinea slave trader(traitor). Whereas in CenAfr the Portuguese were for the most part subservient merchants to the laws of the Kingdom of Kongo, who although they practiced indentured servitude, were against the Atlantic slave trade. Most of the slaves the Portuguese got from CenAfr were true captives, illegally stolen from there land. This in part would compel the Kingdom of Kongo to go to war with the Portuguese in 1622 and all but banish them from the CenAfr region. So, it's no surprise the CenAfr captured against their will, for the most part of unbeknownst reasons, would be more enraged by it than West African that were already serfs to a chiefs and kings that were in cahoots with Europeans slave traders the whole time.

lol @ this. One would think Samory Touré was a central African or something from these kind of statements. There are some very inaccurate statements and claims in the quotes above. I don't have time to go through and debunk this general idea about West Africans vs. Central Africans in detail, and it would probably not be worth the time it would take to do so, so I'll just refer you to three books that should give you a more realistic perspective:

John K. Thornton - Africa and Africans in the Making of the Atlantic World, 1400-1800

John K. Thornton - Warfare in Atlantic Africa: 1500-1800

Junius Rodriguez (editor) - Encyclopedia of Slave Resistance and Rebellion (2 vols.)

I have only read parts of that encyclopedia, as I am not really in the habit of reading whole encyclopedias (that would be boring), but I have read the two books by Thornton in their entirety and I can say that they are especially insightful and are very well researched.

Go to a library and find whatever other sources (besides the ones above) you need to that cover these issues. People have studied a lot of this stuff in detail, you know. So coming up with all these silly theories based on rumor or mere assumption are unnecessary. Next time try and have a bit of real comprehension of some of the historical topics you're discussing.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tribal Mark Or Tattoo / Do You Speak Spanish? / Which Ethnicity Has The Richest And Most Beautiful Culture In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.