Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,799 members, 7,886,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 11:20 PM

Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? (4048 Views)

PDP Senators Get Juicy Appointments As Saraki Names Committees / South/west APC Accuses Buhari Of Ethnic-based Appointments / Northern Senators Meet Over Igbo Domination In Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Onlytruth(m): 6:20am On Aug 28, 2012
bashr8: lol they dont see it that way , they are blinded by oil unfortunately the oils is not benefiting anyone rather it has become a curse.

I honestly don't think that this has anything to do with oil. I personally think that it would be harder for Igbo to secede after Nigeria's oil wells dried up than now.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by sheyguy: 6:24am On Aug 28, 2012
Onlytruth:

Exactly my point! (though in reverse). That is why I don't understand why a rational person who feels dominated and marginalized, would still go to war, or threaten war each time the "dominating group" mentions secession or wants to secede.

Isn't this a form of mental illness or retardation?
Onlytruth, so did Southern Cameroun go to war to forcefully keep Igbos anywhere against their wish at any point in history? Or av they tried to discourage Igbo going outa Nigeria or Cameroun?
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Onlytruth(m): 6:30am On Aug 28, 2012
sheyguy:
Onlytruth, so did Southern Cameroun go to war to forcefully keep Igbos anywhere against their wish at any point in history? Or av they tried to discourage Igbo going outa Nigeria or Cameroun?

You only supported my position. Thank you! cheesy cheesy cheesy They seceded and joined French Cameroun (never mind what they want today). They took a RATIONAL action then.

Now, why did you fight to keep Igbos in Nigeria? Why do you still become combative anytime Igbos start talking about seceding from Nigeria?
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by bashr8: 6:37am On Aug 28, 2012
Onlytruth:

You only supported my position. Thank you! cheesy cheesy cheesy They seceded and joined French Cameroun (never mind what they want today). They took a RATIONAL action then.

Now, why did you fight to keep Igbos in Nigeria? Why do you still become combative anytime Igbos start talking about seceding from Nigeria?
some people are afraid of change and the unknown so they prefer to retain the status quo also shady and corrupt people/politicians including those of the ethnic group that want to secced might loose out so they make sure such things never happen , the rest are just mischievous kids like we see on nairaland that dont deserve attention.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:37am On Aug 28, 2012
Onlytruth:

Exactly my point! (though in reverse). That is why I don't understand why a rational person who feels dominated and marginalized, would still go to war, or threaten war each time the "dominating group" mentions secession or wants to secede.

Isn't this a form of mental illness or retardation?

A legitimate question. Why would anybody want to keep a group that was alleging marginalization and asking for autonomy in the same country with them and still deprive them of full autonomy? Why even put oneself in a position where one can be accused of "being the bad guy"? Why even put oneself in a position where one claims to have the right to determine how much autonomy any other group gets? I don't understand that. When you look at the history of Nigeria, there are several instances of this happening and one starts to wonder about the thought processes of the leaders in charge anytime there was an attempt by any group to seek greater autonomy. I've seen my group accused of domination because of population (as I alluded to earlier) in a state and I think that there should definitely be a separation of my group and those alleging marginalization so that each group can pursue their own objectives without being intentionally or unintentionally marginalized and without being accused of marginalization.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by oduasolja: 6:38am On Aug 28, 2012
Onlytruth:

I've basically meditated on Nigeria's history (especially the pre civil war and the civil war history); what I see shows a pattern of mental retardation.
From the North, if you read what Ahmadu Bello thought about Southerners, Easterners and Igbo, you would see that he was convinced that the North was being dominated by Southerners. The same goes to groups in the West that had to carpet-cross to ensure that they were not "dominated in their own land", never mind that the dominators were technocrats and seasoned politicians who could have elevated the average living standards of people in that region. The same happened in SW Camerouns (which led to their historic mistake of joining a French country), and to a some extent also happened (though partially) with Mid western and Eastern groups in the war against Biafra.
Some minority groups alleged the same "domination".
I personally believe that if Igbo were asked to form a country of their own with only Igboland, the Biafran war wouldn't have been fought at all, talkless of it lasting for almost three years.

So, why don't "the dominated" want their dominators to secede? Why do the dominated still panic at any signs of activities suggesting that the "dominating group" is planning to secede? We see it in Nairaland constantly.

So, what is going on?

its called dominoe theory fool. if one group leaves, then more than likely the other groups would leave, and then the north will be cut off from oil.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by oduasolja: 6:40am On Aug 28, 2012
Onlytruth:

nobody was fighting to keep the igbos in Nigeria.

the igbos were trying to steal minority land and we fought to liberate them from your biafra.

after all your biafra included their land , so we had to destroy it.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by bashr8: 6:47am On Aug 28, 2012
oduasolja:

its called dominoe theory fool. if one group leaves, then more than likely the other groups would leave, and then the north will be cut off from oil.
who told you the north didnt want to leave , where they not the ones demanding for arewa ? if the problem is just the north they would have been dealt with long time ago,nigeria lost the war even with british support until the other eastern groups switched sides , nigeria lost at aburi but decided not to honour it because of british pressured them (of course it would be a nightmare for them british to deal with igbos ) and stop cursing i can see the mentioning of biafra brought out the wolf in you , exactly what we are trying to figure out.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by bashr8: 6:49am On Aug 28, 2012
oduasolja:

the igbos were trying to steal minority land and we fought to liberate them from your biafra.

confusionist , you fought what?who are the we? when you where crying that your own land were occupied by northern soldiers, your leaders cant even go out without hiding from them.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Onlytruth(m): 6:52am On Aug 28, 2012
bashr8: confusionist , you fought what?who are the we? when you where crying that your own land were occupied by northern soldiers, your leaders cant even go out without hiding from them.

hehe. grin cheesy smh.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Onlytruth(m): 6:58am On Aug 28, 2012
Just watch. Soon those who allege domination the most will flood this thread with all types of vituperations and lies.
The last thing they would do is answer the simple question: Why do you panic at any mention of Igbo secession? ( which BTW attracts them to ANY thread concerning Igbo secession) Believe me, I can count the number of times in one hand that I have been to a thread discussing secession of non-Igbo groups.

Search Nairaland. cool

Anyway back to topic.

Why do some Africans see merit based appointments as a form of domination?
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Onlytruth(m): 7:20am On Aug 28, 2012
bashr8: some people are afraid of change and the unknown so they prefer to retain the status quo also shady and corrupt people/politicians including those of the ethnic group that want to secced might loose out so they make sure such things never happen , t[b]he rest are just mischievous kids like we see on nairaland that dont deserve attention[/b].

Noted.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Abagworo(m): 7:47am On Aug 28, 2012
The average Nigerian mind set oozes of insanity. Most of us are guilty of this. Lecturers and Policemen that do their work diligently are hated by their colleagues as well as the populace and are considered wicked. They never get promoted as deserved.

The 2nd issue is tribalism. That tribalism is fear of Igbo domination. If things are done according to merit in Nigeria, we might end up having majority Igbos in almost every sector because of their competitive nature. The fear of this was the root of "federal character" in order to have an all inclusive public sector.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by sheyguy: 7:52am On Aug 28, 2012
oduasolja:

Don't mind him, he threatened to start this thread because of another thread about Southern Cameroun voting against joining Nigeria which you started. What i actually expect him to deal with, was accusations from southern Camerounians that the Igbos where dominating them through corrupt means, thus prompting their choice.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by PointB: 9:24am On Aug 28, 2012
sheyguy:
Don't mind him, he threatened to start this thread because of another thread about Southern Cameroun voting against joining Nigeria which you started. What i actually expect him to deal with, was accusations from southern Camerounians that the Igbos where [b]dominating [/b]them through corrupt means, thus prompting their choice.

Define domination! I suppose that's what this thread is about?
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Akanbiedu(m): 10:53am On Aug 28, 2012
Not to worry Igbotruth

As soon as Nigerian oil in ND is finished or no longer an important source of revenue, You will be allowed to go. Other Nigerians are equally eager to get rid of you. It's a mutual feeling bro.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by sheyguy: 11:03am On Aug 28, 2012
Because Of Igbo Bad Behaviour/ Tribalism ,we Lost Southern Cameroon
Link https://www.nairaland.com/1029786/because-igbo-bad-behaviour-tribalism

in page 3 of 4 of the referenced materials the thread that inspired this thread , reads
Their difficulties in obtaining appointments in public service were attributed to obstruction and public demands by senior Igbo clerks in government offices.

Let Onlytruth and PointB deal with this. They even choose to call it Merit Based Appointments when it is clear the Igbos were caught red handed by southern Camerounians. This is no Yoruba or Hausa or even Ijaw matter.
Over to you guys.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by PointB: 11:06am On Aug 28, 2012
Akanbi_edu: Not to worry Igbotruth

As soon as Nigerian oil in ND is finished or no longer an important source of revenue, You will be allowed to go. Other Nigerians are equally eager to get rid of you. It's a mutual feeling bro.

Lol,

So it's all about Niger Delta oil. Lazy mofos! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Akanbiedu(m): 11:33am On Aug 28, 2012
PointB:

Lol,

So it's all about Niger Delta oil. Lazy mofos! grin grin grin grin grin

Yes it is, that is why Ojukwu went to war too. Not a bad thing though in my books, fights for resources are worthy fights. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by PointB: 11:45am On Aug 28, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

Yes it is, that is why Ojukwu went to war too. Not a bad thing though in my books, fights for resources are worthy fights. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I see. So you went to war to steal SS oil from them?
We will watch as the 'shoeless fisherman' and his siblings from the creek take back what belongs to his people. Thank God the Deltans are seeing Yorubas today for what they are- oil thieves. I hope you guys are proud of the grand robbery you committed against the Niger Deltans.

How have you guys fared afterward? Fifty years after the heist, how come your part of the world look like caves, while your masters the hausa and fulani live like paupers, and have decided to bomb themselves into oblivion. Karma? grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by sheyguy: 11:54am On Aug 28, 2012
Because Of Igbo Bad Behaviour/ Tribalism ,we Lost Southern Cameroon
Link https://www.nairaland.com/1029786/because-igbo-bad-behaviour-tribalism

in page 3 of 4 of the referenced materials the thread that inspired this thread , reads
Their difficulties in obtaining appointments in public service were attributed to obstruction and public demands by senior Igbo clerks in government offices.

Let Onlytruth and PointB deal with this. They even choose to call it Merit Based Appointments when it is clear the Igbos were caught red handed by southern Camerounians. This is no Yoruba or Hausa or even Ijaw matter.
I am still waiting for your responses oh.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by PointB: 11:58am On Aug 28, 2012
PointB:

We will watch as the 'shoeless fisherman' and his siblings from the creek take back what belongs to his people. Thank God the Deltans are seeing Yorubas today for what they are- oil thieves. I hope you guys are proud of the grand robbery you committed against the Niger Deltans.

How have you guys fared afterward? Fifty years after the heist, how come your part of the world look like caves, while your masters the hausa and fulani live like paupers, and have decided to bomb themselves into oblivion. Karma? grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by PointB: 11:59am On Aug 28, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

PointB:

Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Akanbiedu(m): 12:35pm On Aug 28, 2012
PointB:

I see. So OJUKWU went to war to steal SS oil from them?
We will watch as the 'shoeless fisherman' and his siblings from the creek take back what belongs to his people. Thank God the Deltans are seeing Igbos today for what they are - oil thieves. I hope you guys are proud of the grand robbery you committed against the Niger Deltans.

Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:58pm On Aug 28, 2012
[quote author=Akanbi_edu][/quote]

Akanbi, i see what you did up there wink......quite witty, i'll give you that. But i'm sure if you were to ask the average 'clued-on' Niger Deltan, who are their problem and who has ruthlessly exploited their oil the most between Hausa/Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo, you'd be surprised at the answer you'll get; also i'm sure the likes of Saro Wiwa and Asari Dokubo (hindsight is a beautiful thing) would beg to differ.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Akanbiedu(m): 1:06pm On Aug 28, 2012
PROUD-IGBO:

Akanbi, i see what you did up there wink......quite witty, i'll give you that. But i'm sure if you were to ask the average 'clued-on' Niger Deltan, who are their problem and who has ruthlessly exploited their oil the most between Hausa/Fulani, Yoruba and Igbo, you'd be surprised at the answer you'll get; also i'm sure the likes of Saro Wiwa and Asari Dokubo (hindsight is a beautiful thing) would beg to differ.

Ojukwu tried to colonize the oil but failed. Somebody's got to share the spoil. My only regret is that Yoruba elites stayed neutral at first. Who the h-ell does that in the same country controlled by a military government? You are either with the Nigerian side or against, no room for neutrality in this case.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Dede1(m): 1:20pm On Aug 28, 2012
PhysicsQED: First, my comment can be read two ways, and I meant for it to be interpreted both ways. I think you've figured out one of the interpretations based on the knee jerk reaction and the spiel that followed my suggestion that Africans are currently more nepotistic than other groups.

Second, Europe is divided mostly (but not exclusively or perfectly) along "ethnic" lines. So apparently those "inter-ethnic" wars you're referring to were for a reason.

If the second jab in your post suggested the reason for mental retardation or disconnect in the stream of thought of Africans, one wonders why the call for disintegration of Nigeria along ethnic delineation is not politically trendy and seems to jolt the political psychic of certain Nigerians the wrong way.

Like you have indicated Europe as a model that upholds merit based appointment, I do also believe Europe, where countries are formed based on ethnic background, provides solution which will alleviate the chronic socio-politico-economic retrogression in Africa.
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by PointB: 1:32pm On Aug 28, 2012
Akanbi_edu:

Ojukwu tried to colonize the oil but failed. Somebody's got to share the spoil. My only regret is that Yoruba elites stayed neutral at first. Who the h-ell does that in the same country controlled by a military government? You are either with the Nigerian side or against, no room for neutrality in this case.

I hope your elite a braced for the second round. This time you have to steal it from under the nose of the wide awake Niger Deltans, who already sussed you lots out for what you really are. And luckily enlightened Nigerians already know that all this hue and cry about GEJ 'cluelessness' is about the oil. Your elites about to lose what they stole from the Niger Deltan, I can understand your apprehension. Little wonder Tinubu, had to run to his lord and master Buhari. Let's see if that will help your thieving elites!
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by dayokanu(m): 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2012
Onlytruth:

So when Biafran soldiers attacked Midwest and SWest what are the inhabitants supposed to do? Fold their hands and watch their land being run over?

No wonder they call Igbos Mor0ns
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 28, 2012
dayokanu:

So when Biafran soldiers attacked Midwest and SWest what are the inhabitants supposed to do? Fold their hands and watch their land being run over?

No wonder they call Igbos Mor0ns

after you recaptured your lands and even some minority lands in the east, why did you not stop there and tell igbo to leave nigeria
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by dayokanu(m): 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2012
re@lchange:

after you recaptured your lands and even some minority lands in the east, why did you not stop there and tell igbo to leave nigeria

I have always told you action and reaction are never equal. If you slap me I can break bottle on your head.

You invade my land, that means you had the first say, And I would have the final say on my own terms only

In WW2. After the Russians chased Germans out of their land why didnt they stop once the Nazi army were out of Russian territory, Why did they chase them into berlin and destroy the Budestag and the seat of the Reich
Re: Why Do Some Africans See Merit Based Appointments As Proof of "Domination"? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 28, 2012
dayokanu:

I have always told you action and reaction are never equal. If you slap me I can break bottle on your head.

You invade my land, that means you had the first say, And I would have the final say on my own terms only

In WW2. After the Russians chased Germans out of their land why didnt they stop once the Nazi army were out of Russian territory, Why did they chase them into berlin and destroy the Budestag and the seat of the Reich

point well taken
but do you Yoruba really believe that you defeated igbo
using russia germany to is very funny
because you Yoruba were more like the french grin
you were rescued by an external force
but now you brag more than that external force
imagine france bragging more than russia and usa combined. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biafra:here Is Where The Millitary Dump The Body Of Killed Young Biafran@pics / Eid El-kabir: Gombe Governor Urges Muslims To Show Love And Good Neighborliness / Easier-than-imagined Way To Overcome The Herder Tribe In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.