Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,233 members, 7,887,642 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 11:50 AM

Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments (1309 Views)

Submit Your Website Url For Review, And Get Good Backlinks And Traffic / I Just Built A Website With An Online Radio Streaming For A Church / Create Your Personal Website With Google Page Creator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by hollirigth(m): 9:27am On Jan 02, 2008
Hi all, I just built a personal website for the first time by following certain simple instructions. Kindly browse through the site: www.netbizlink.org and send your comments, critiques and suggestion. I am a beginner in this area and need your help for improvement. However all the contents there in are true and authentic. You can contact me for any question.
Thank you you all
Holli
www.netbizlink.org
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by DualCore1: 4:16pm On Jan 02, 2008
i'm using firefox, and in it everything is aligned to the right. create a container Div tag and put ur who contents in it and center that div tag using css.

the search at the top of the page. let the users know the search results are not going to come from ur page but from Live Search.

i'm in a hurry to leave the office, woulda checked other things, but maybe others will have other things to point out. May ur good works be rewarded.
Cheers.
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by my2cents(m): 5:31pm On Jan 02, 2008
in addition to what dual has said:

1) liven up the site with a few more images

2) Decrease the width of your form fields (contact us)

3) move "site map" menu item to the end of the list

4) Add footer section with same links as in navigation

5) For the autos section, perhaps, use thumbnails for a gallery, then commence a slideshow of larger images once you click on any of them. The page is too long the way it is now. Look at it this way (sure, the number may be fixed now but you have to plan for the future when it might change) - What happens if you have 100 images?

6) typically, "all rights reserved" is preceded by a copyright symbol (
©
)

I hope these help.
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by hollirigth(m): 10:16pm On Jan 02, 2008
@Dual Core and my2cents
Thank you guys very much for your comments, I can see how far behind I am in this area, I am even finding it difficult to understand some of those big words and commands you mentioned. But I learn very fast and I will find a way of getting detail info on how to fine tune the site per your info.
I will also appreciate if there is a way of guiding me through some of the steps to move forward.
Thank you so much.
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by my2cents(m): 10:49pm On Jan 02, 2008
based on my comments, mine for the most part are copy-and-paste. As for images, u can go to a place like gettyimages.com to get images. As for the form fields, you can use CSS to set the width (or size) or do it directly via the form field tag.

Take the style of the email address field for instance:
style="float:none;margin-left:0px;margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;width:100%;display:block;"

u hv a width of 100%. Try 50%. Also in general, you might want to move your CSS into an external stylesheet.

I hope these help.
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by hollirigth(m): 3:01am On Jan 03, 2008
@my2cents and Dual Core

Thank you so much, I was able to reduce the contact us form using a direct approach, I even included an image at the bottom of the page to spice it up. Also on the AUTO page, I was able to implement slideshow to reveal the pictures of the 2 cars with a 5min delay in-between which saves a lot of space and make the site looks more better. I will continue to work on the site, all input and advise shall be well considered.
Thanx.
Holli.
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by hollirigth(m): 4:25am On Jan 10, 2008
@Kobojunkie
I so much appreciate your harsh but frank criticism about my site. I think I mentioned it in my previous post that I am a newbie (beginner) in this area, I am not a web designer, infact getting it to this level was somehow surprising. However, I sincerely appreciate your comments and points and welcome more from you and others. I will go back to the site right now to address the points you made. Once more, thank you.
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by joekayode: 10:28am On Jan 10, 2008
honestly, This is a gud beginning and i will encourage you to put more effort and learn more things.
but may i ask,, 'which hosting company did you use to host this site'
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by hollirigth(m): 2:59am On Jan 11, 2008
@Joe
Thanks for your compliments, I know I still have a little long way to go. I just addresed the issues noted by the other members now, and the site is coming up fine. Meanwhile on your question, I am using MSN hosting.
More comments welcome.
Thanks
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by hollirigth(m): 3:02am On Jan 11, 2008
@Joe
Thanks for your compliments, I know I still have a little long way to go. I just addresed the issues noted by the other members now, and the site is coming up fine. Meanwhile on your question, I am using MSN hosting.
More comments welcome.
Thanks
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 14, 2008
As a Newbie, i carry yansh give you, you are fantastic. one thing i like about the site is the little padding you gave it.
just that
1. I dont understand the job of the image under the contact page

2. Its a bad habit to stretch images, better to take the image to photoshop, convert it to the size of where u want it fixed optimize it("save for webpage" option in photoshop)

3. since the pages dont look dynamic to me, why use aspx, it slows things down (though negligible)

4. the right side of this page looks funny in Mozilla firefox http://netbizlink.org/Autos.aspx

5. Add to cart link shouldn't be on the sitemap page. since they are not supposed to access it directly

I love how the search opens a new window, it keeps them from forgetting ur site.

Nice work, I remember my first design, i look at it now, it looks like a55
Re: Just Built A Personal Website: Plz Review And Comments by hollirigth(m): 4:20am On Jan 18, 2008
@webdezzi
Thank you so much for your comments, I just placed most of those pics there out of practice not that I really want them there. Also the PayPal button, I was only trying to see how to integrate epayment method on the site, and I got it eventually. I will continue to work on the site and make every necessary adjustment.

(1) (Reply)

I Need To Reg. Domain Name And Space And Pay In Cash Into Account / I Uploaded My Website Through Eu.pn Free Subdomain But My Image Dose Not Appear / We Urgently Need A Creative Website Designer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.