Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,164 members, 7,877,325 topics. Date: Monday, 01 July 2024 at 04:20 PM

Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? (1022 Views)

Imagine You Own This Ride And Your Pastor Asked You To Sow A Seed With It / Lagos Prophet Sets Member On Fire Because God Asked Him To / God Asked Me To Retire, Says Pope Benedict XVI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by plaetton: 5:47pm On Aug 28, 2012
If In a dream ,vision or prophecy, your god asks or commands you to kill your neighbor, either as a test of your faith, for atonement for your sins, or to forestall an impending evil, what would you do?
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by Tenderly1(f): 5:57pm On Aug 28, 2012
what kind of a question is dis?anywayz my God won't ask me 2 do such a thing.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by mkmyers45(m): 6:04pm On Aug 28, 2012
Tenderly1: what kind of a question is dis?anywayz my God won't ask me 2 do such a thing.
Are you sure? what does God ask us to do witches?
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:22pm On Aug 28, 2012
Mr Anony probably will. After all, the order will be coming from the highest "moral" authority.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2012
Your god can decide to "test your faith", you know. He has done it to many in the bible OT, so why not you?
Tenderly1: what kind of a question is dis?anywayz my God won't ask me 2 do such a thing.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by jayriginal: 9:02pm On Aug 28, 2012
Jenwitemi: Mr Anony probably will. After all, the order will be coming from the highest "moral" authority.

Funny, immediately I saw this topic, one name crossed my mind. Mr Anony.

Dont bother asking him, his answer I predict if he is bold enough to answer it will be the same as the below.

Tenderly1: my God won't ask me 2 do such a thing.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by cyrexx: 9:05pm On Aug 28, 2012
Jenwitemi: Mr Anony probably will. After all, the order will be coming from the highest "moral" authority.

LOL,

no. he will not. he, as well other christians, actually have a better refined morality than yahweh's morality. the morality of yahweh is the antiquated remnants of iron age barbarism

i asked him one question like this sometimes ago (about stoning a wayward daughter as commanded by yahweh) and he artfully deflected it to something else. he will rather make excuse for yahweh. its funny how the "unchanging" god has changed these days and he is not making these barbaric demands from his followers anymore. i think he has evolved into a better god grin
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by plaetton: 9:23pm On Aug 28, 2012
cyrexx:

LOL,

no. he will not. he, as well other christians, actually have a better refined morality than yahweh's morality. the morality of yahweh is the antiquated remnants of iron age barbarism

i asked him one question like this sometimes ago (about stoning a wayward daughter as commanded by yahweh) and he artfully deflected it to something else. he will rather make excuse for yahweh. its funny how the "unchanging" god has changed these days and he is not making these barbaric demands from his followers anymore. i think he has evolved into a better god grin

Yes, I posed this question to highlight the moral ambiguity that is embedded in much of religious doctrine. especially when the they come here to thump their chests about their superior moral authority.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by Tenderly1(f): 12:05am On Aug 29, 2012
mkmyers45: Are you sure? what does God ask us to do witches?
datz kinda hard
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by CrazyMan(m): 12:54am On Aug 29, 2012
My God can't ask me to kill anyone. So I don't need to answer that question smiley
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by plaetton: 2:45am On Aug 29, 2012
CrazyMan: My God can't ask me to kill anyone. So I don't need to answer that question smiley

But He has already asked a lot of people to kill their neighbors
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by CrazyMan(m): 4:42am On Aug 29, 2012
plaetton:
But He has already asked a lot of people to kill their neighbors
Then that would be another god. Cos the God I serve doesn't turn his followers into killing machines.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by plaetton: 4:48am On Aug 29, 2012
CrazyMan:
Then that would be another god. Cos the God I serve doesn't turn his followers into killing machines.

Have you been reading your bible? Ever heard of Moses,Josua, Judah, David,Elisha, Elijah, etc.?
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by CrazyMan(m): 6:15am On Aug 29, 2012
plaetton:
Have you been reading your bible? Ever heard of Moses,Joshua, Judah, David,Elisha, Elijah, etc.?
That was in the old testament before christ came and abolished the law of moses.

Can you show me any passage in the new testament where God asked someone to kill.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by mkmyers45(m): 6:54am On Aug 29, 2012
Tenderly1: datz kinda hard
What is hard? Is it not God's commandment?
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by MacDaddy01: 7:28am On Aug 29, 2012
CrazyMan:
That was in the old testament before christ came and abolished the law of moses.

Can you show me any passage in the new testament where God asked someone to kill.

Yaweh sent Jesus to kill himself.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 29, 2012
CrazyMan:

So what happened? Did Yahweh repent?
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by TheOP1(m): 8:39am On Aug 29, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Big Mac You are one funny man grin
MacDaddy01:

Big Mac You are one funny man!!!!

1 Like

Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by TheOP1(m): 8:39am On Aug 29, 2012
grin cheesy
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by MacDaddy01: 8:48am On Aug 29, 2012
The OP:

Big Mac You are one funny man grin

Big Mac You are one funny man!!!!

wink
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by CrazyMan(m): 11:37am On Aug 29, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Mind you, God didn't send Jesus to kill himself.

Its obvious that you're not properly grounded in the scriptures.

In John 3:16  For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Here its very clear that God sent Jesus to die for the world including sinners like you. He obviously didn't ask him to kill himself.

So when next you read the bible, pray to God for proper understanding.
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by MacDaddy01: 11:40am On Aug 29, 2012
CrazyMan:

Here its very clear that God sent Jesus to die for the world including sinners like you. He obviously didn't ask him to kill himself.

So when next you read the bible, pray to God for proper understanding.

This Crazyman has become a confused man.

The irony is evident in the bold

1 Like

Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by plaetton: 12:12pm On Aug 29, 2012
musKeeto:
So what happened? Did Yahweh repent?

@crazyman:

So, did god repent during the transition from new to old testament?
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by CrazyMan(m): 12:27pm On Aug 29, 2012
MacDaddy01:
This Crazyman has become a confused man.

The irony is evident in the bold
Its obvious that you're the one in confusion here.

You said God sent Jesus to kill himself. I out up that passage there to prove to you that Jesus mission on earth wasn't to kill himself but to save the world.

So I guess that you're the one in confusion here not me.

plaetton:
@crazyman:

So, did god repent during the transition from new to old testament?
God repented that's why he gave us his son Jesus as our direct passage to him.

In John 14:6-7  Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by mkmyers45(m): 12:41pm On Aug 29, 2012
CrazyMan:

God repented that's why he gave us his son Jesus as our direct passage to him.

In John 14:6-7  Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."

So God repented of his sins? Wow so he asked himself to forgive himself? Thats so cool....

God does not repent:

Numbers 23:19
God is not a man that he should lie; neither the son of a man that he should repent.
1 Samuel 15:29
The Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.
Ezekiel 24:14
I the LORD have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it; I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent.
Malachi 3:6
For I am the Lord, I change not.
James 1:17
With whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

God repents:

Genesis 6:6
And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
Exodus 32:14
And the Lord repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
Deuteronomy 32:36
For the Lord shall judge his people, and repent himself for his servants.
1 Samuel 15:11
It repenteth me [God] that I have set up Saul to be king.
1 Samuel 15:35
The Lord repented that he had made Saul king over Israel.
2 Samuel 24:16
The Lord repented of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, it is enough: stay now thine hand.
1 Chronicles 21:15
The Lord beheld, and he repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed, It is enough, stay now thine hand.
Isaiah 38:1-5
In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And Isaiah ... said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order: for thou shalt die, and not live. ... Thus saith the LORD ... I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will add unto thy days fifteen years.
Jeremiah 15:6
I [God] am weary of repenting.
Jeremaih 18:8
I [God] will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
Jeremaih 26:3
That I [God]may repent me of the evil, which I purpose to do unto them.
Jeremiah 26:13
The Lord will repent him of the evil that he hath pronounced against you.
Jeremiah 26:19
The Lord repented him of the evil which he had pronounced against them.
Jeremaih 42:10
For I [God] repent me of the evil that I have done unto you.
Amos 7:3, 6
The Lord repented for this.
Jonah 3:10
God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them.

1 Like

Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by plaetton: 12:44pm On Aug 29, 2012
Fair enough.
But if god repented, that means he was wrong or bad at some point before he repented.
Surely, repent means abandonment of sin,evil or bad conduct.
Do you agree?
Re: Would You Kill Your Neighbor If Your God Asked You To? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Aug 29, 2012
@mkmyers: those are some verses... crazyman, can you just call it a day?

(1) (Reply)

Wake Up Call / Help!! These 'men Of God' Are Killing My Faith In God! / The Orgin Of The Name "Papa, Daddy, Mummy" For Pastors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.