Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,149 members, 7,887,338 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 07:01 AM

Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? (31012 Views)

Buhari Should Take Over Power Ministry -melaye / Fashola Can’t Run Power Ministry Like He Ran Lagos —CACOL / Okorocha, Ogbonnaya Onu Led Barth Nnaji Other Igbo Leaders To Buhari (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by nduchucks: 2:07am On Aug 29, 2012
I hope this man is prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Enough is enough.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Kobojunkie: 2:14am On Aug 29, 2012
My hope is that now that this man is out of the picture, that Nigerians do not fall for the next propagandist named Power minister.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by tpia5: 2:26am On Aug 29, 2012
please always include relevant info on topics like these.

eg where is he from

married to who

his qualifications- where he studied, etc

his parents, if possible, and their occupations

his picture

ok, i found him on wiki but cant make head or tail of the information.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by tpia5: 2:28am On Aug 29, 2012
gale of disquiet yesterday greeted an exclusive report by BusinessDay, that power minister, Bart Nnaji has a direct interest in a consortium that bidded for the Afam power plant, one of the generating plants put up for privatisation by the Federal Government.

The Afam plant is widely believed to be lucrative with its installed capacity of 776 megawatts (MW), comprising of 18 gas turbines, for which the Federal Government had just approved N500 million rehabilitation.

where is this afam power plant?

any info on it?
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by slyfox1974(m): 2:43am On Aug 29, 2012
SO, THE GAME 4 2015 DON START BE DAT, THIS CLUELESS PRESIDO HAS SACKED THE ONLY PERSON THAT IS OUTSHINING HIM ABI?
AFTER USING OGA BART TO STABILIZE POWER HE NOW WANT'S TO USE THE LITTLE GAINS ACHIEVED IN THE POWER SECTOR AS
LEVERAGE FOR HIS CAMPAIGNS AND YET THE THIEVING MINISTER OF PETROLEUM IS STILL THERE WE DEY WAIT FOR U OOOO MUMU

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by dedeike: 3:17am On Aug 29, 2012
taharqa: I am astounded by this decision. Nnaji was one of the Ministers that was doing his job meticulously.

For all we know now, he had some possible Conflict of Interest with two companies to be privatized(Afam and Enugu Disco) through his company. He apparently informed the NCP(National Council on Privatization) about this and they deferred consideration on the companies cos they didnt want to mar the entire process. He might have had to resign inorder to safeguard the integrity of the entire process(all these kind of looks to good to be true so there might be other things involved which we are not aware of yet- if however, this was what happened then my respect for him,the NCP and the Process is increased).
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/privatisation-bids-cancelled-over-firms-linked-to-nnaji/123388/

The Privatization process is one in which the govt has really impressed me so far by the kind of work they have done almost from the start,and how they have committed to adhere to their own timeline which was set in March(a rarity in Nigerian Government). All the dates given months back have been kept by these people including the Opening of the Financial Bids of the GENCOS on Friday August 24 just as was set. I hope that the process that was supposed to conclude late Sept/Oct this year(just about a month or two to go for a process that would be Nigeria's most Significant INFRASTRUCTURAL initiative in her history). THIS PROCESS MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO FAIL PLZ

https://www.nairaland.com/1004060/something-wrong-power-improving/13#11639505
You spoke my mind so no need to talk again
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Charlesnerd: 3:30am On Aug 29, 2012
tpia@:

any info on it?

Afam power plant is a gas powered plant in Obigbo,rivers state.Guess it was built by shell .I remember before before Nnaji became minister of power,his company (Geometric) was in talks with Afam IPP to extend their gas trunks to Geometric IPP somewhere in Alaoji or so.

Maybe his company felt buying Afam IPP was a strategic move, owing to its proximity to a yet to be commissioned Geometric power station.But whatever the case,Nnaji must have resigned out of frustration,or sacked because the allegations against him were to weighty to be true.

His resignation at this point is a huge setback to the little progress made in that sector,the trade unionists,diesels and generator importers must be feeling triumphant and I doubt if the replacement minister would have the same zeal as Nnaji had,having seen how powerfully entrenched interests can rubbish anyone desirous of bringing about a little change in one of the darkest sectors of the Nigerian economy.

To Prof Barth,I wish you all the best in your future endeavors,I always knew from the onset that your interests in Geometric would one day become your achilles heel.I knew you were a businessman,but you were much more a patriotic Nigerian,who believed he had practical solutions to the nagging power problems in Nigeria.I hope and pray the privatisation process would be completed sucessfully without you.

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by tpia5: 3:57am On Aug 29, 2012
^^

Afam power plant is a gas powered plant in Obigbo,rivers state

thanks.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Promiseduke(m): 4:14am On Aug 29, 2012
Wich eva way...Only if naija wil av a constant powa supply.Wich eva way...Only if naija wil av a constant powa supply.Wich eva way...Only if naija wil av a constant powa supply.

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 4:28am On Aug 29, 2012
I guess u are one of retrogressive and noisy phcn workers/unionists.
azzima: I think a few days ago, the phcn union of workers had accused him of unauthorized withdrawals running into billions from the pension funds.it might be the case.trust me thus guy is not a hero.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Danabu(m): 4:54am On Aug 29, 2012
The man wants to buy PHCN and he cannot do it as a sitting minister, hence his resignation after perfecting his plans. Watch out!
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by monkeyleg: 5:21am On Aug 29, 2012
What a country. Anyway, Good luck to all of una
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by oshyno(m): 6:14am On Aug 29, 2012
leyom234:

You no sabi anything to refer to him as 'performing'. His zeal had been born out of selfish interest. What has he or Jonathan done during just a year that they have spent? Oh you now have 24 hrs supply? Everything has been 'make belief'. Well, so many of us are very intelligent on paper but cannot afford to combine facts and reach an obnjective conclusion.

Did I hear u say make belief ? U must be living in d moon den ( no offense). Relatively constant electricity uv been having lately is make belief abi ? It makes me puke wen some people argue the obvious, or ur one of a kind that antagonizes anything GEJ . Guy shed off some parochial attitude and state d obvious wen u see it.

Folks shud just relax.Shebi una talk say GEJ is clueless ? ur in for a big shock. Some people are hell bent on sabotaging d power reform and prolly GEJ has seen it and decided that a competent person shud be the one to take care of a South-South plant- Afam power plant.Soo d game plan is Prof will bid and he will win.Dat one na "shure banker " . Soo as hilly-billy dimwits are dragging their feet in some other climes ,Nnaji will be busy providing electricity to d south south.Watch dis space.

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by misterh(m): 6:25am On Aug 29, 2012
To say i'm surprised will be an understatement. Was thinking that Nig had finally seen the messiah in this man. Oh! How wrong was i? Nigeria, the more you look, the less you see!
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by everyevery: 6:30am On Aug 29, 2012
perhaps he's got interest in 2015 but is too early for dat cos anybody dat fixes naija's lyt is a mini God and am more dan sure naija's will risk dia neck to ensure such person gets dia
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by clip: 6:30am On Aug 29, 2012
They never wanted the gap between the poor and rich close at all.the only confirmed minister forced to resign because of VP's interest .
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by nkenu(m): 6:31am On Aug 29, 2012
In Nija, we move a step forward and five steps backward! grin grin angry
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Konnektions146(m): 6:42am On Aug 29, 2012
Nnaji is one minister dat know his job
thhough he always had had issue with PHCN wen dey frustrated his effort in generating and distributing power to industrial consumers in Aba from His Geometric power dats been compleeted long ago.
so de face off with de workker is not not far ffeetched and as well he never knew de fight with PHCN workers would be dis hard.
his IPP geerated power for Asokoro area and dd well and his history wit respect to power generation earned him dat job as power minister.
we all know that sooner or later, geometric POWER would bid for any of de privatised companies but de question we ask is-can he still perform as a minister and as well as an investor? yes he can though there would be somee doubts in some quaters in dat regards but just for transparency, Resignation would be de best so as to put in his best n Geometric Power bids.
would Geommpetric power win its bids? sure, goinn by there antecedents and other investor confidence in de company....Geometric Power Ltd is like a moving trrain.

GEJ would miss him but its for de overall good of de privatiatio process.... but he just set a record and de next minister assuming power would take a clue and ot be a failure.

wishin My Naija de best.

2 Likes

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by hurricaneChris: 6:47am On Aug 29, 2012
Oh hw much i love dis game!!! While Tinubu and ACN wud b busy tryin to soil d govt of GEJ, he has prepared a more competent man in Barth Nnaji's Geometrics LTD to take over d distribution of Alaojii and Afam power plants. Hence constant electricity in d SS and SE.

Soriee oo for those who couldnt see while they looked. Hahahahaha grin

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by chucky234(m): 7:00am On Aug 29, 2012
I posted some shady activities and ridiculous spending of Barth Nnaji few days back but no one care to notice because we are blinded by 1000MW generated in 24 months without looking at how much the man spent each year to achieved that,about N780bn was spent in 2011 alone to supply gas and retweaked already existing plants. The man is yet to account for the N2bn grant handed to him by Japan for Solar power project,we should learn to look beyond the little achievement of our so called ministers as that's the only way we can curb corruption.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by hurricaneChris: 7:06am On Aug 29, 2012
Bfo he became d minister, Nnaji's Geometrics power Ltd did a very wonderful job in d Asokoro IPP (infact this earned him d ministerial job). The two questions are;
1. Is his company going to bid for d Aaojii and Afam power plants? YES!! (these two plants distribute a combined 32% of d electricty in d country currently)
2. Is he going to win d bids? YES!! because GEJ has prepared him to manage d power distribution in d SS and SE.

Let Atiku's Mikano struggle for d bids of d ones in Adamawa and Gombe. grin

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 29, 2012
Gbawe:

Indeed. The likes of Nnaji are good guys , too willing to serve their nation to the extent they ignore how their employer is an appointee of the system that revels in failure for the masses and stupendous wealth and overwhelming control for the few 'insiders' and "owners of Nigeria". Nnaji is supposed to defeat Atiku (Mikano) and other Vultures like Otedola when his last line of defense is a highly corrupt President sponsored into office to protect the interest of the "business as usual" crowd?

Prof Nnaji, you are a patriotic man but you were always fighting a losing battle as some of us concluded ages ago. You were a pawn in the wicked game vacuous opportunists deceived you with - all in the effort to pretend they are seeking solution while they deepen the problem. You are now a victim of the treachery of Nigerian politics that means corrupt Presidents,sponsored by saboteurs, deploy credible folks like you to add gloss to their regime while the real intention is that you never succeed. Just ask Tai Solarin et al.

You captured it the way it is. I told those close to me that Nnaji would not last. The cabal is too powerful. Barth has been successful before returning to serve. Diaspora Nigerians should take cue from what happened to him. Ngozi was also forced to resign during Obasanjo's regime before Jonathan recalled her.

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by lagbajani(m): 7:23am On Aug 29, 2012
This is a game, nay a play haba. IT is very imperative for Nigerians to know why the power minister resigned or was sack. Info about this is sketchy. Indeed Nigeria is a joke.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by warrior01: 7:37am On Aug 29, 2012
chucky234: I posted some shady activities and ridiculous spending of Barth Nnaji few days back but no one care to notice because we are blinded by 1000MW generated in 24 months without looking at how much the man spent each year to achieved that,about N780bn was spent in 2011 alone to supply gas and retweaked already existing plants. The man is yet to account for the N2bn grant handed to him by Japan for Solar power project,we should learn to look beyond the little achievement of our so called ministers as that's the only way we can curb corruption.
will you shut your stinking mouth up. As if your biased opinion matters
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 29, 2012
So the supposed saviour of the PHCN is gone just like that?now the new minister will start all over again abi?which way naija?
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by Kachi188(m): 7:46am On Aug 29, 2012
tpia@:

any info on it?

afam power station is located at afam, oyigbo l.g.a, rivers state, south-south nigeria.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by chucky234(m): 8:07am On Aug 29, 2012
warrior01:
will you shut your stinking mouth up. As if your biased opinion matters
Who is this goon that knows nothing about electricity generation or the activities of govt,you must be a mad man to have quote me.
You sit in front of you 1885 analogue computer to type sh**t,what do you fuc:king know about govt other than reading shi:t on NL?
I'm already having a bad day and I'll make you pay if you dare quote me again,not even in your entire wretched life.
What a beetle-headed goon.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by chucky234(m): 8:09am On Aug 29, 2012
kITA TITA:

You captured it the way it is. I told those close to me that Nnaji would not last. The cabal is too powerful. Barth has been successful before returning to serve. Diaspora Nigerians should take cue from what happened to him. Ngozi was also forced to resign during Obasanjo's regime before Jonathan recalled her.
Guy only discuss what you know,the same OBJ persuaded NOI to be part of GEJ's govt and the just GEJ as everyone believed.
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by rhymz(m): 8:10am On Aug 29, 2012
I Resigned as Minister of Power 29 Aug 2012 Font Size: a / A Professor Bart Nnaji By Chika Amanze-Nwachuku, Ejiofor Alike and Chineme Okafor In a move aimed at salvaging the reform and privatisation programme of the power sector, President Goodluck Jonathan Tuesday in Abuja accepted the resignation of one of the key members of his cabinet, Professor Bart Nnaji as Minister of Power, with immediate effect. The president, who in a press statement by his Special Adviser, Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, thanked the former minister for his services to the country and wished him well in his future endeavour, was said to have decided to accept the resignation, following Nnaji’s admission that companies linked to him had submitted bids for one of the successor companies created from the unbundling of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN). However, speaking to THISDAY Tuesday night on his decision to leave the cabinet, Nnaji said he opted to resign in order to save the privatisation and reform programme from those who might want to use ulterior motives to bring down the programme. Nnaji said he had met with the president Tuesday afternoon, during which he (president) informed him (Nnaji) that he was using his company as a proxy to buy shares on behalf of the president in Afam power station through the privatisation process. On hearing this, he informed the president that rather than drag him (Jonathan) and the entire process through the mud, he would prefer to resign but reminded the president that he had brought it to his attention two weeks ago that a company he owned was part of a bidding consortium that had submitted bids for Enugu Distribution Company. Nnaji explained that there have been all sorts of efforts to bring him down since his appointment as Special Adviser to the President on Power and later power minister, but decided Tuesday that it was best to leave rather that allow fourth columnists to mar the entire process. “It is a huge conspiracy to scuttle the programme, but rather than drag the president and the programme down, I decided to tender my resignation,” he said. On what would become of the reform process on which he had worked so hard, the former minister said he had managed to put the power sector on track and all key reforms in place, adding “it would be difficult to derail it right now and I hope it would proceed as planned.” When asked if the independent power company he owns, Gemetric Power, would withdraw from the consortium bidding for Enugu Disco, Nnaji said: “As far as I am concerned, the bid is still alive. “I know that they set up a new committee to re-evaluate the bids, but I don’t know if the process will still be fair after what has happened.” However, sources in the presidency told THISDAY last night that Nnaji had no choice than to resign, because had he failed to do so, he would have been sacked by the president. The president, THISDAY learnt, was said to have been very disappointed that his power minister, who should have known better, had gone ahead to bid for Enugu Distribution Company, despite the Code of Ethics of the privatisation process which bars staff of the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) and members of the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) from buying shares in companies being privatised. “The president had made up his mind by this morning, so if Nnaji had not resigned, he would have been sacked,” explained sources in the presidency. Participation by two companies linked to Nnaji in the power privatisation process had compelled the NCP to cancel the technical bid evaluation process conducted for Afam and Enugu Disco last week. The NCP, after its meeting last Friday, had announced the results of the technical evaluation conducted for the 25 bids it received last month for the six generation companies (Gencos). From that process, seven bidders were said to have successfully met the cut-off mark of 750 and above during the technical evaluation process and were prequalified to have their financial bids opened on September 25. However, the NCP was silent on the bidders that were prequalified for Afam Power Station owing to the potential conflict of interest that had arisen during the privatisation process. An NCP source said that before the consideration of the report of the evaluation, Nnaji, who was a member of the NCP by virtue of his position as Minister of Power, had brought it to the attention of the council that O & M Solutions of Pakistan, a member of one of the consortia bidding for Afam, had worked as a contractor for Geometric Power. The consortium, in which O & M Solutions has a stake, is Skipper Nigeria Limited, which had submitted technical and financial bids for Afam on July 17, the deadline set by the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) for the submission of bids for the Gencos. The minister also notified the NCP that Geometric Power has a minority stake in Eastern Electric Nigeria Limited, which had submitted technical and financial bids for Enugu Distribution Company Limited on July 31. He went on to inform the council that owing tohis position, he had notified the president of his company’s bid for Enugu Disco, and brought it to their attention that although he has an interest in Geometric Power, he had resigned from its board and transferred his shares to a blind trust. Having been informed of Nnaji’s direct and indirect interest in two companies being privatised, the council decided to cancel the technical evaluation that had been conducted for
Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by intrepid: 8:13am On Aug 29, 2012
The forces of evil in this country are legion.The man must have really fought some terrible underground battles off the public knowledge for a long time before finally coming to this point..BUT this makes me feel that salvation is not yet in sight...I think Jerry Rawling's treatment will soon be metted out here.

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by rhymz(m): 8:17am On Aug 29, 2012
chucky234: Guy only discuss what you know,the same OBJ persuaded NOI to be part of GEJ's govt and the just GEJ as everyone believed.
you seem to be only informed in falsehood.
You sound like a broken record.

1 Like

Re: Barth Nnaji Resigns (Or Sacked) From Power Ministry? by sixbon2000(m): 8:40am On Aug 29, 2012
The way his resignation took place with immediate effect. I suspect a sack

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Rivers PDP Insists Wike Still Governor, Tribunal Judgement Notwithstanding / Nigerian Army Re-engages Retired Soldiers / Olajide Adeniji: Another Classmate Of Tinubu At CSU Surfaces

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.