Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,955 members, 7,946,145 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 01:17 PM

'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi (8577 Views)

Why This Oyinbo Married A Nigerian Lady / The Pretty Banker Who Married A Danfo Driver: True Love Story / 20 Costly Mistakes That Married Men Make. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by free2ryhme: 12:46pm On Aug 31, 2012
[img]http://1.bp..com/-tVZG8JP9Ga0/UD-uxZcfEKI/AAAAAAAAo6g/0SyPMpcb5V0/s400/...001MAI-INSPIRED-1-460x317.JPG[/img]

Crystal Ellis Owonubi (pictured above) lives in Jos with her family. She has been sharing her story with other Americans and people in the world at large via a popular Facebook page 'Mixed and Happy: I support mixed-raced families!" Here's something she wrote that I want to share with the rest of you. See it below...

I grew up in Bauxite, Arkansas. I have lived in Nigeria for the past 7 years with my husband. We have two children together. We have been married for 12 years now. My father has never met my husband and has refused to accept my children also.

When I had my first baby, a little girl that is now 12 years old. I called my father and said that I wanted to come and see him for Christmas with my baby. He said, "I don't want any black people in my home!" and hung up the phone!

I grew up in an all white school with only one mixed girl in the school. I was treated horribly in school because I dated a black boy that lived in the next town at the age of 16. My father told me that he would disown me and to this day, I have never received a phone call from him.

I was called nigger lover in school and nobody wanted to sit by me. I knew what it felt like to be rejected. I was sent away to several different homes for troubled children because my mother did not want me to be with a black person. She would lock the phone up in her room. But, today I live in the blackest nation, Nigeria. And today I am happy that I did not end up racist like them or should I say ignorant."

I am holding back my tears. I thank God that he gave me a family of my own! He has blessed me with a wonderful man that understands me and loves me for who I am. He has blessed me with a wonderful family that accepts me regardless of my skin color and regardless of where I come from.

Even though my mother and father in law are both deceased now, I thank God for their lives and how they were able to show me love before they went on to be with the Lord. Many people have been amazed that I am been able to stay in Nigeria for this long, but now I am ready to share my story. This is not the full story nor is it the ending of the story, so watch out for my book......coming soon! God wrote my story, but I wrote the book. I pray that many peoples lives will be touched by my story and that lives will be changed.

http://lindaikeji..dk/2012/08/i-am-white-american-that-married.html

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 1:05pm On Aug 31, 2012
She isnt the first nor will be the last person to marry or date outside her nationality. People been mixing centuries before her. What make her any different??.

Why do some people make splashes as if they were the first person to say, "hey look at me, I did it!!"

If she is happy she shouldn't worry about what other people say and shouldn't waste her time forcing others to accept her views. We all have a free will on how we would live our lives.

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by jaybee3(m): 1:11pm On Aug 31, 2012
Trust chima to be on this thread patiently waiting flog 'em man .....

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by safeact(m): 1:13pm On Aug 31, 2012
I have read d story and her pix on several blogs. Its all about racial abuse. Hope she gets d recognition that she needs when d book is out and possible wins an award for her. She needs to be commended for standing on her feet and saying No wen it is needed in a most difficult period.

Her case is a true test of love and understanding. Hope kobojukle can do that!

3 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 1:51pm On Aug 31, 2012
jay bee: Trust chima to be on this thread patiently waiting flog 'em man .....

Shut your arse. grin grin grin grin grin

Why are you following me? angry angry
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 1:57pm On Aug 31, 2012
safeact: I have read d story and her pix on several blogs. Its all about racial abuse. Hope she gets d recognition that she needs when d book is out and possible wins an award for her. She needs to be commended for standing on her feet and saying No wen it is needed in a most difficult period.

Her case is a true test of love and understanding. Hope kobojukle can do that!

From the look of her "story" the only people who had an issue was her parents. You are right she should win an award for standing up against her parents.

In that case...there are other people who should win awards for speaking up and stating their opinions but they don't get the recognition because they aren't mixing nor pale skinned. undecided undecided undecided undecided

There are many non-Blacks that have stood up against their parents as well. She isn't the only one.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by safeact(m): 2:15pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

From the look of her "story" the only people who had an issue was her parents. You are right she should win an award for standing up against her parents.

In that case...there are other people who should win awards for speaking up and stating their opinions but they don't get the recognition because they aren't mixing nor pale skinned. undecided undecided undecided undecided

There are many non-Blacks that have stood up against their parents as well. She isn't the only one.

You sound as if you have personal issues with her! Its all about fighting racism, nepotism etc, so if u hv anyone else that has stood his ground, pls do well to project it so others will learn.
Thanks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 2:19pm On Aug 31, 2012
a lot of africans/nigerians are mixed.

some know it and some dont.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 2:21pm On Aug 31, 2012
obama in the making. cheesy
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by OAM4J: 2:38pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
She isnt the first nor will be the last person to marry or date outside her nationality. People been mixing centuries before her. What make her any different??.

Why do some people make splashes as if they were the first person to say, "hey look at me, I did it!!"

If she is happy she shouldn't worry about what other people say and shouldn't waste her time forcing others to accept her views. We all have a free will on how we would live our lives.

Living in Nigeria for 7 years with husband is not common.

3 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima1(f): 2:49pm On Aug 31, 2012
OAM4J:

Living in Nigeria for 7 years with husband is not common.

Huh? So her living in Nigeria for seven years make her better than other non-Nigerian women
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima1(f): 2:52pm On Aug 31, 2012
safeact:

You sound as if you have personal issues with her! Its all about fighting racism, nepotism etc, so if u hv anyone else that has stood his ground, pls do well to project it so others will learn.
Thanks.

Personal issues? Why are you defensive? Are you in a similar relationship? This isn't about fighting racism...this is about her standing up to her parents that disowned her for marrying a Black man. Simple as that.

You can't fight racism by marrying someone opposite of you... you can't fight racism by writing a book....and you damn sure can't fight racism forcing others to accept your views.

Do you think she is the ONLY PERSON that spoke up about this shit? No! As I have stated there are people who have endured racism 10X worse than her....she didn't suffer racism...her husband and children did!

People have been fighting RACISM, DISCRIMINATION, PREJUDICE, SEXISM, AGEISM, IGNORANTISM, AND BULLSHITISM FOR MANY, MANY, MANY, AND MANY YEARS. You start by practicing what you preach....be that man in the mirror.

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by LongOne1(m): 3:14pm On Aug 31, 2012
Damn, gots to go get me one of those A.S.A.P.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 5:50pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 5:51pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Do we also give awards to the many Nigerians who do exactly the same . . i mean stand up against their parents or does she get first dibs because she is WHITE? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Interracial marriages are more common today than ever. I mean you look around here and you find interracial couples. They exist even in the south. So I don't see the sense in the write up given that she is not a part of some major minority.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 5:52pm On Aug 31, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Personal issues? Why are you defensive? Are you in a similar relationship? This isn't about fighting racism...this is about her standing up to her parents that disowned her for marrying a Black man. Simple as that.

You can't fight racism by marrying someone opposite of you... you can't fight racism by writing a book....and you damn sure can't fight racism forcing others to accept your views.

Do you think she is the ONLY PERSON that spoke up about this shit? No! As I have stated there are people who have endured racism 10X worse than her....she didn't suffer racism...her husband and children did!

People have been fighting RACISM, DISCRIMINATION, PREJUDICE, SEXISM, AGEISM, IGNORANTISM, AND BULLSHITISM FOR MANY, MANY, MANY, AND MANY YEARS. You start by practicing what you preach....be that man in the mirror.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 11:58pm On Aug 31, 2012
tpia@:
a lot of africans/nigerians are mixed.

some know it and some dont.

how won't an individual know she's mixed? tpia and her periodic brainfarts!!

free2ryhme:
[img]http://1.bp..com/-tVZG8JP9Ga0/UD-uxZcfEKI/AAAAAAAAo6g/0SyPMpcb5V0/s400/...001MAI-INSPIRED-1-460x317.png[/img]

what a story!!!
marrying a nigerian against all odds must be tough.....

3 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 2:08am On Sep 01, 2012
^try to act civilized occasionally, you are not in the bush. Yes, we all know white women are your reason for living but how does that concern other people.

If someone was not told of white ancestry in their lineage then no, they might not be aware they have any.

And yes, we know you're ignorant of the fact that its not only europeans who are technically white.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by CrazyMan(m): 3:35am On Sep 01, 2012
She did go through a lot...

But she pointed out one important fact...she's happy. So I guess that settles it.

Marriage if you ask me, is about finding a partner you can endure for above 5 years, amidst hardship, hatred, poverty, mistrust, jelousy, anger, peers etc.

So, If she endured hers for 12 years, then I feel she deserves some credit.

I wish her well.

3 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 4:20am On Sep 01, 2012
CrazyMan: She did go through a lot...

But she pointed out one important fact...she's happy. So I guess that settles it.

Marriage if you ask me, is about finding a partner you can endure for above 5 years, amidst hardship, hatred, poverty, mistrust, jelousy, anger, peers etc.

So, If she endured hers for 12 years, then I feel she deserves some credit.

I wish her well.

So does everyone else who have endured many years of hardship while married....her situation isnt as unique as some people want it to be.

She should be happy if she made that choice to be happy. No one can make you happy but yourself that is fact of life.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by CrazyMan(m): 4:54am On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

So does everyone else who have endured many years of hardship while married....her situation isnt as unique as some people want it to be.
True..but at least show some concern, raise and eyebrow...how many whites can actualy endure what she did in the name of love? How many young whites girls can abandon their families for an Africian?

Her story is the type you see in nollywood movies...if you ask me, I'd say more of fiction, less reality

Thus, I still maintain my stand that she has every right to be celebrated.

Mrs.Chima:

She should be happy if she made that choice to be happy. No one can make you happy but yourself that is fact of life.
Alrigh that's a true fact...I agree with you.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 6:01am On Sep 01, 2012
...how many whites can actualy endure what she did in the name of love? How many young whites girls can abandon their families for an Africian?

and any word for nigerians who are also in tough situations due to marriage but decide to endure?
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by RickyRoss1(m): 7:14am On Sep 01, 2012
NICE TRY, YOU AINT THE FIRST WHITE WOMAN TO MARRY A NIGERIAN AND SURELY WONT BE THE LAST...

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by CrazyMan(m): 8:02am On Sep 01, 2012
tpia@:

and any word for nigerians who are also in tough situations due to marriage but decide to endure?
I would start by making reference to similar cases that happened in the past.

1. Martin Luther King...he possibly wasn't the first human to start a crusade about injustice, but he was and is still remembered today because he was a black man, and those he fought against were whites.

2. Tiger Woods[/b]Isn't the first human to play the golf sport...but he entered the legend books because he was a black man who kept on defeating whites in one of the sports they invented and probably knew best.

3. [b]Nelson Mandela
isn't the first man to fight against a tyrant government...but he's remembered today because the tyrant government which he fought against were white people.

Now allow me to say that Crystal Ellis Owonubi isn't the first and wouldn't be the last woman to endure that magnitude of insults, rejection, same etc...but she would be remembered by you and I because she's a white.

When a white hen hatches a blue chick, people take pictures and the hen and the chick, and automatically, the hen becomes a celebrity...but does that mean that it is the first hen to hatch an egg, of course not...it simply gained its recognition because people expected it to keep producing white chick or at last a similar colour.

Same is the case with the woman in question.

So agree with me when I say she deserved some credit and therefore should be celebrated.

3 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by CrazyMan(m): 10:27am On Sep 01, 2012
And emm...no word for Nigerian women in similar situations.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 11:14am On Sep 01, 2012
tpia@:
^try to act civilized occasionally, you are not in the bush. Yes, we all know white women are your reason for living but how does that concern other people.

why don't you take your own advice? are you civil?
where in my comment did it suggest white women rule my world? tpia, if you are too slow to cope with the pace of this discussion, then i cannot help you. your thought process needs help!

If someone was not told of white ancestry in their lineage then no, they might not be aware they have any.

how won't they know? some certain features would be different.....hair, skin and eye colour, etc...

And yes, we know you're ignorant of the fact that its not only europeans who are technically white.

you're a troglodyte...
tpia, if you are going to continue to act like a silverback then pretend my dick is a balloon and blow it, you lethargic leprechaun!

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by MrsChima(f): 12:15pm On Sep 01, 2012
How hard is it to abandon a toxic family member What is the fact she is white have to do with love Let me get this.....she is white in Nigeria and disowned by her parents means she love her husband Do you know there are many women who are with their husbands fkr a long time disowned by their parents beside her

Oh of course you dont....she is special because she is white and stood up to her parents.....what a great fucking accomplishment for the oyinbo community!!!

Madness!!

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by tpia5: 1:03pm On Sep 01, 2012
Coogar and crazyman (if you're not one and the same because your reasoning is similar)

Stop embarassing nigeria.

The country already has a bad enough reputation as it is.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by CrazyMan(m): 2:05pm On Sep 01, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
How hard is it to abandon a toxic family member What is the fact she is white have to do with love Let me get this.....she is white in Nigeria and disowned by her parents means she love her husband Do you know there are many women who are with their husbands fkr a long time disowned by their parents beside her

Oh of course you dont....she is special because she is white and stood up to her parents.....what a great fucking accomplishment for the oyinbo community!!!

Madness!!
You're getting it all wrong. The reason why cases of Nigerians in similar situations don't get their stories published is because we're already used to hearing their cases, therefore publishing it would make no sense to us including you.

But for her...her story is special. Its special because people see it as a rare occurrence. Take a look at Quintuplets...don't people give birth to twins every second?

But haven't you noticed the kind of publicity that is made when Quintuplets are born?

Now do feel its right to protest the kind of publicity they get? Would you say...after all women give birth to babies everyday so why should they (Quintuplets) be treated specially? Why must a governors wife pay a personal visit to mothers of these babies...is it because they are more in number than the regular ones?

Can you honestly make such argument?

My dear her case is one in a million...you can even see the evidence glaring in your face. People are already publishing her story on Nairaland, facebook and different blogs...therefore, you would just have to accept that she's indeed special

tpia@:
Coogar and crazyman (if you're not one and the same because your reasoning is similar)
Look at our usernames properly...we're not the same person...coogar and crazyman doesn't sound similar to you, or do they?

tpia@:

Funny that you saw that as an insult...if you read what I posted properly, you would notice that I pointed out a fact not an insult.
Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by Kobojunkie: 2:06pm On Sep 01, 2012
CrazyMan:
True..but at least show some concern, raise and eyebrow...how many whites can actualy endure what she did in the name of love? How many young whites girls can abandon their families for an Africian?

Her story is the type you see in nollywood movies...if you ask me, I'd say more of fiction, less reality

Thus, I still maintain my stand that she has every right to be celebrated.

Alrigh that's a true fact...I agree with you.

Abeg go siddon . . like Nollywood stories are in anyway unique . . abeg make me hear word for that one.

I have an aunt who happens to be american and has been married over almost 30 years. She too had to leave her family to marry my uncle, and she ain't writing no long stories of it either.

2 Likes

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by coogar: 2:45pm On Sep 01, 2012
tpia@:

that is because you are a consummate retard!
you don't like the fact that a white woman married a nigerian or what exactly is your problem? if you feel aggrieved, you can marry a white man too - don't be frustrated because mr. owonubi chose a white man instead of a hapless old hag like yourself!

we should stop embarrassing nigeria? something you have managed to achieve almost 20 years ago with the way you and many other naija babes have turned several european cities into prostitutes paradise? you are a tool, tpia!!

Kobojunkie:
I have an aunt who happens to be american and has been married over almost 30 years. She too had to leave her family to marry my uncle, and she ain't writing no long stories of it either.

then tell your aunt to go to ait/nta and narrate her own story...
the fact that she wasn't celebrated for what she did does not mean we should not celebrate mrs. owonubi - nigerians and their bad belle!

1 Like

Re: 'I Am A White American That Married A Nigerian.' - Crystal Owonubi by CrazyMan(m): 2:50pm On Sep 01, 2012
Kobojunkie: Abeg go siddon . . like Nollywood stories are in anyway unique . . abeg make me hear word for that one.
Stop being paranoid...that I used that statement doesn't actually mean they have to be unique...its just an English term. That statement is a simile...I used it to liken her situation to what we see in nollywood movies. I don't have to begin to explain how house girls get married to princes and all that before you see the how similar they both are

Kobojunkie: I have an aunt who happens to be american and has been married over almost 30 years. She too had to leave her family to marry my uncle, and she ain't writing no long stories of it either.
Really? Care to give me the gist undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Childern's Day: Tell Us What Your Kid's Favorite Colour Is! / 6 Popular Hair Styles In Nigeria For Schoolboys That'll Raise Your Parent's B.P / He Wants To Marry Me But He Says I'm Too Ambitious

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.