Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,203,999 members, 7,987,573 topics. Date: Monday, 28 October 2024 at 12:54 PM

Has Science Freed God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Has Science Freed God? (783 Views)

God Saves Gays: 29 Freed From Homosexuality By Jesus Christ Testify In New Film / Ethiopian Woman Freed From 16 Year Addiction - TB Joshua / Has Science has caused more harm than religon? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Science Freed God? by mkmyers45(m): 12:23pm On Sep 01, 2012
I came across a quote from Canadian author and musician Charles de Lint, from his book Dreams Underfoot:

The old gods and their magics did not dwindle away into murky memories of brownies and little fairies more at home in a Disney cartoon; rather, they changed. The coming of Christ and Christians actually freed them. They were no longer bound to people’s expectations but could now become anything that they could imagine themselves to be. They are still here, walking among us. We just don’t recognize them anymore.

I haven't read the book or anything else by the author, but this quote fascinates me. It suggests that rather than killing off or burying the pagan spiritual figures, they were released from their bondage of sacredness by the Christianity that sought to deny them. In being released, they were free to be whatever people wanted them to be.

Has modern science, in showing the mechanisms of the Universe, freed God from the dogma and expectations of religion, to be whatever people want or need it to be?
Re: Has Science Freed God? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 01, 2012
mkmyers45:
Has modern science, in showing the mechanisms of the Universe, freed God from the dogma and expectations of religion, to be whatever people want or need it to be?
Your question is based on the assumption that God is being held captive by religious beliefs which He is not. He made it mandatory for people to have these beliefs in the first place and I don't think He would have done that if the religious beliefs were confining or restrictive to Him.
Re: Has Science Freed God? by mkmyers45(m): 12:46pm On Sep 01, 2012
E_monkey:
Your question is based on the assumption that God is being held captive by religious beliefs which He is not. He made it mandatory for people to have these beliefs in the first place and I don't think He would have done that if the religious beliefs were confining or restrictive to Him.

god(s) are captive to their followers expectation no? When speaking of the dogma and expectation of religion you have to consider a lot e.g Before modern advances in medicine every illness was attributed to god as his illness
Re: Has Science Freed God? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 01, 2012
mkmyers45:

god(s) are captive to their followers expectation no? When speaking of the dogma and expectation of religion you have to consider a lot e.g Before modern advances in medicine every illness was attributed to god as his illness
Gods are not captive to anything of their followers, except if you define 'gods' in an atheistic sense, ie as a creation of the followers, and not in a theistic sense ie as the creator of the followers.
I am theist, so I don't think it is possible for God to be captive to His followers' expectations because it is not possible for God to be so overwhelmed or inconvinienced by the expectation of those He created and hence be said to be held captive by those expectations. He is greater than that.
Secondly, when people refer to an illness as God's illness (although I don't particularly believe that doing this is right), they usually mean that God is making that illness happen because of some good that will come out of it later, or because He wants to acheive something great by making it happen, not because they want to assign evil deeds to God.
Re: Has Science Freed God? by mkmyers45(m): 2:51pm On Sep 01, 2012
E_monkey:
Gods are not captive to anything of their followers, except if you define 'gods' in an atheistic sense, ie as a creation of the followers, and not in a theistic sense ie as the creator of the followers.
I am theist, so I don't think it is possible for God to be captive to His followers' expectations because it is not possible for God to be so overwhelmed or inconvinienced by the expectation of those He created and hence be said to be held captive by those expectations. He is greater than that.
Secondly, when people refer to an illness as God's illness (although I don't particularly believe that doing this is right), they usually mean that God is making that illness happen because of some good that will come out of it later, or because He wants to acheive something great by making it happen, not because they want to assign evil deeds to God.

You are quite afar from the OP...

See take mythological gods like Zeus,Odin,Osiris etc

In the prime of their worships they were mighty gods who were great in battle and were they for their followers but as they years go by and followership fell what happened? they were no longer bound to lead and grant victory in battle..slowly people relieved them of certain duties and all...They were no longer to be worshipped and stuff like that now;

A God cannot disappoint its followers can it? when i use the captive i mean it in a broader sense

During the black death...The Church claimed God spoke to them that the illness was from him as punishment on mankind and will soon end bla bla but the plague continued....now it was later discovered to be caused by fleas spread by rats so these days sickness are tackled in the right sense relieving the burden of blame on god for illnesses
Re: Has Science Freed God? by saintvc(m): 10:32pm On Sep 01, 2012
D question shud b HAS GOD FREED SCIENCE?
Re: Has Science Freed God? by mkmyers45(m): 10:35pm On Sep 01, 2012
saintvc: D question shud b HAS GOD FREED SCIENCE?
Can you answer your question?
Re: Has Science Freed God? by Jenwitemi(m): 8:56am On Sep 02, 2012
The CREATOR has never ever hindered science which is just a method of investigating the world around us humans. It is the ignorance and the prejudice of men of religion who seek to own all knowledge that needs to free science.
saintvc: D question shud b HAS GOD FREED SCIENCE?
Re: Has Science Freed God? by Callotti: 10:17pm On Sep 02, 2012
Actually, it exposed God and will keep him in chains forever. cool

1. Jesus Christ will NEVER come down to Earth.

Science has DNA. . .God does not! grin

We go know who im papa be! GBAM! As for rising from the dead a second time. . . .mu he he he he he he. . .cheesy
Re: Has Science Freed God? by joe4christ(m): 8:40am On Sep 03, 2012
mkmyers45: I came across a quote from Canadian author and musician Charles de Lint, from his book Dreams Underfoot:

I haven't read the book or anything else by the author, but this quote fascinates me. It suggests that rather than killing off or burying the pagan spiritual figures, they were released from their bondage of sacredness by the Christianity that sought to deny them. In being released, they were free to be whatever people wanted them to be.

But be sincere to yourself, even if that's the case but atleast it made tje world a better place, imagine the human blood sacrifices that were being practiced prior to the coming of christianity in those regions of the world, imagine the harm that was done, imagine how innocent lives were been terminated as a result of false belief, take for instance the killing of twins in calabar before tthe missionary mary slensor put an end to that evil practice, imagine if the people never got delivered of such it would have still been praticed till date.

The question is does'nt it surprise you all how christianity and the Gospel of Jesus Christ penatrated every rook and cranny of the world without the use of force or weapon of war for defense and coerssion?
Does'nt this show there must be supernatural force and miraculouse signs and wonders that those people saw in the gospel of christ that convinced them enough to abandone their long worshiped gods which they inherited from their forefathers for a new God introduced by strangers?

Definately they must have seen with their eyes things that were beyond natural which was convincing enough to have brought about the switch.

How can one come to a strong man's house and defeat him of his possession except the later is indeed stronger and of a greater authority.

A food for thought for those who are reasonable enough!!!

God is no joke, Jesus is real, i wish u would believe me and save yourself from eternal damnation.
Re: Has Science Freed God? by mkmyers45(m): 9:59am On Sep 04, 2012
joe4christ:

But be sincere to yourself, even if that's the case but atleast it made tje world a better place, imagine the human blood sacrifices that were being practiced prior to the coming of christianity in those regions of the world, imagine the harm that was done, imagine how innocent lives were been terminated as a result of false belief, take for instance the killing of twins in calabar before tthe missionary mary slensor put an end to that evil practice, imagine if the people never got delivered of such it would have still been praticed till date.

The question is does'nt it surprise you all how christianity and the Gospel of Jesus Christ penatrated every rook and cranny of the world without the use of force or weapon of war for defense and coerssion?
Does'nt this show there must be supernatural force and miraculouse signs and wonders that those people saw in the gospel of christ that convinced them enough to abandone their long worshiped gods which they inherited from their forefathers for a new God introduced by strangers?

Definately they must have seen with their eyes things that were beyond natural which was convincing enough to have brought about the switch.

How can one come to a strong man's house and defeat him of his possession except the later is indeed stronger and of a greater authority.

A food for thought for those who are reasonable enough!!!

God is no joke, Jesus is real, i wish u would believe me and save yourself from eternal damnation.

WTF? WTF? Dude did you do history at all...How did you great-grand parents encounter the whites? Common man stop embarrassing your history teacher

(1) (Reply)

Different Dogmas But One Target / Biblical Truth Is Never Established By Majority Opinion. / Tithing In Advance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.