Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,266 members, 7,881,012 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:50 AM

Top Criteria For First Car Pick - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Top Criteria For First Car Pick (1800 Views)

Tell Us About Your First Car Experience. / How Was Your First Car Bashing Experience? / Advice On First Car To Buy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Top Criteria For First Car Pick by Immune1(m): 11:24am On Sep 03, 2012
1. Average cost of running/maintenance vs. Your budget:
Before you make a grave decision, make sure these two parameters match up evenly. Different cars have different numbers which is quite expected, some car’s spare-parts are relatively more expensive but are not that durable. On the other hand, some really expensive spare parts are that way because of their durability and extended life span comparatively.

2. Reliability:

I personally love Peugeot cars for one thing; a very little defect can render these cars immobile, am very sure the designers of these cars put this in place for safety reasons. Some people might count this as Peugeot cars being unreliable; I guess this is where discretion has to kick in to back your findings.

3. Mechanic familiarity:

This might sound a bit cliché but it is safe to stick with brands and models you are absolutely sure you know good auto-mechanics (with substantial evidence) around that deal on them.In the course of owning a car you will get more informed. In the same light, if you want to opt for a much more unique and less common brand, be prepared to carry out a pre-purchase research on the best mechanics in town (that deal on that brand) and the one to stick with based on your personal assessment .

4. Automatic or stick?

For city driving its always advisable to go for an automatic transmission, another added reason people prefer this option is because recent designs are gradually dropping the torque converter to improve on fuel economy. But like any true car enthusiast will argue, you absolutely control the driving of the car with your manual gearbox laced on your chassis.

5. Initial cost:

A low initial cost of purchasing a car shouldn’t necessarily be attractive. Some cars are cheaper to buy because the market forces are just playing out in reaction to the high cost of maintaining these cars. Here in Nigeria, its ironic to find out that tokunbo (foreign used) car options of the same model with V6 or V8 engines are cheaper than their I4(Inline 4cylinders) counterparts, this is one clear example of the auto-market force in play.

6. Critical specifications:

These include factual specifications of a car that might or might not appeal to you, but will be practicable in your analysis based on your intended applications. These include the average suspension height of a typical vehicle when loaded, entertainment features, leg/head room, engine options offered, EPA ratings, crash test results, positioning of airbags, etc.

7. What most people are saying:

In most cases, people begin and end their research on cars at this level. At the end of the day they regret their actions and still fall back on factual findings. The truth is you might get to know about a car first from someone else, but that shouldn’t be the sole reason for you to go ahead and purchase the same car; simply carry out more research.

8. The Nigerian Factor:

These include accessing documented history of that particular car in mind via its V.I.N (vehicle identification number), the true mileage (odometer reading), the papers (clearing and Custom), mechanic’s opinion, and the likely problems to be fixed. In the case of buying from dealerships, track records help. Some dealerships here in Nigeria indulge in sharp practices, even some of the wholly authorized ones can’t be fully trusted, be sure you are paying for the value you are expecting.

9. Which insurance/tracking:

Different insurance companies have different pricing and competitive edges, hence before you stick with one be sure you are getting the best deal. I was involved in the purchase of an 8.7million naira Prado jeep barely a year ago, based on the referral I got from a marketer in the dealership I went with an Insurance firm that charged a premium(on comprehensive insurance) in the tune of N522, 000. Later on after researching, I found out I would have saved N218,000 if I went with another firm with a juicer deal, even on paying the insurance premium in the subsequent years. That’s just an instance for insurance, for tracking, some companies have better recovery records, some are just laid back and unconcerned after you pay and they install the transponder/transmitting device; the more reason to look before you leap.

10. What you need the car for:

Let me cite a clear instance, if I intend travelling a whole lot and all I have is N400,000, I’ll rather go for a tokunbo Benz 190 or Audi 80 or Benz 230, and why is that? These old cars are more stable at high speeds and reliable than some newer cars within that price range. If in need of a nice city car with the same budget, I’d go for a neat Nigerian used corolla or Nissan sunny which are relatively lighter and pocket friendly when it comes to fuel consumption. Let your purchase options match your eventual day to day applications.
source:http://www.autobaseafrica.com/criteria-for-a-first-car-pick/

(1) (Reply)

How Much Is D Cost For Going Thru A Driving School / Engine Swap. Please Advice / How To Determing A Good Toyota Camry Ac Compressor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.