Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,703 members, 7,905,599 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 02:55 PM

Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG (6036 Views)

Latest IMF Figures Show Nigeria As World's 22nd Largest Economy / Gen Murtala Muhammed 39th Anniversary Of His Brutal Assassination / Boko Haram Killing North’s Economy -fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Nobody: 4:48pm On Sep 04, 2012
Our economy is growing, you say, meanwhile new jobs are not being created. Our economy is growing, yet 112 million Nigerians still live below the poverty line. Our economy is growing, yet 75 out of every 1000 newborns die under the age of 5. Our economy is growing, yet Nigeria is among an infamous list of three countries where polio remains endemic. Power supply is only adequate for a medium-sized European city, almost half of the populace lack access to safe, clean water, Nigerians are internationally notorious for corruption and drug-trafficking, and yet our economy is growing? What kind of "growth" is that?

Mr Minister, please tell the president that we want DEVELOPMENT, not "growth".

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by excondido(m): 4:49pm On Sep 04, 2012
any economic indices that does not translate to a significant notch in the GDP (PPP) is not to be celebrated as the average nigeria still earns less than $2k per capital income.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Pecca: 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2012
gst101: more people are beign lifted out of poverty. More people are owning decent houses. Yes, these people owning decent houses are not all elite! In the estate where i live, its only the ordinary people you will find. Its not as if its simple, but people are doing it. No one wants to pay 250k-300k for just 3bedroom flat anymore. A rent which will expire just within 12months. We dont finish our houses befor packing into it and i a few years, you have a decent structure no one would believe wasnt complete when you packed in. People are owning decent cars today. More people are having satelite tvs to day. A walk down the street even in the suburb will help you confirm. Smart phones are as common as stone today. More people can power their genrators for more hours today than ever before

You just gave us the low-down. We are really moving forward though the speed may be quite slow. We need more/sustained re-distribution of income whether stolen or legitimately acquired.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by hoyehdiran: 5:30pm On Sep 04, 2012
gst101: more people are beign lifted out of poverty. More people are owning decent houses. Yes, these people owning decent houses are not all elite! In the estate where i live, its only the ordinary people you will find. Its not as if its simple, but people are doing it. No one wants to pay 250k-300k for just 3bedroom flat anymore. A rent which will expire just within 12months. We dont finish our houses befor packing into it and i a few years, you have a decent structure no one would believe wasnt complete when you packed in. People are owning decent cars today. More people are having satelite tvs to day. A walk down the street even in the suburb will help you confirm. Smart phones are as common as stone today. More people can power their genrators for more hours today than ever before
So wats the logic or moral of this ur bullcrap boring epistle??
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by hoyehdiran: 5:31pm On Sep 04, 2012
So wats the logic or moral in this ur bullcrap boring epistle??
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by sped1oro(m): 5:44pm On Sep 04, 2012
Only if we have sincere leaders to sustain the tempo,Nigeria will really compete favorably with other economies in the world
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by yankidelta(m): 5:44pm On Sep 04, 2012
Biggyd2: How has this position changed or affected the live of the common man in Nigeria?
Abeg ask them oo. There's no correlation with the realities on ground

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by ceejay80s(m): 5:55pm On Sep 04, 2012
Na curse if we be number 1? Una dey jump up for 39th position.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by gst101: 6:10pm On Sep 04, 2012
Dangote produces more cement today in nigeria and much of it is sold here. Indomie produces more in nigeria today and most of it is sold here in nigeria. Multichoice makes more money today and much of that money is made here in nigeria. The same goes for mtn, nestle, unilever and all foreign companies. Nigerian entertainment is exporting more and consequently making more millionaires as the day goes by. More cosmetics are made here andthey are also consumed here. More biscuit brands are springing up every where. I cannot even count them. Glo is making more money. I can go on and on and on.

All of what i have mentioned above does not only indicate a greater output which adds to our gdp, it also indicate an increase in purchasing power on the part of the masses. If the masses are that poor, how then, are all these sales being made?

But no, you are blinded by your intense hatred for the state. A hatred which, in my opinion, cannot be justified. This is becos, the cheating you see at the top can also be seen down the ladder. Somebody just said we are known as notorious scammers for crying out loud!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 04, 2012
another big lie
wonder why nigeria thrives on lies
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by otokx(m): 6:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
Let them keep deceiving themselves with big lies
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Yaya6: 6:22pm On Sep 04, 2012
I think the economy is growing gradually, so we can't say that we are there yet cos there are still a lot to do. But one thing we shud not do is to expect a miracle overnight cos that will not happen in the situation of this country.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by anonymous6(f): 6:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
good, but Nigeria hasn't fully gotten there yet economically, so more progress
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Fiawest(m): 6:42pm On Sep 04, 2012
This speech must have been delivered after a Dinner Party,I'm sure this guy.....yes I will call u a guy is drunk,or how else can we describe this watery statement from a (Dis)Honourable Minister of a Federal Rep.......'D last time I check'....u can imagine.Useless people.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by lawbabs: 7:04pm On Sep 04, 2012
These govt officials think we are fools. They always claim glory when they see little improvement in global GDP ranking. Conversely, when they see the Per Capital Income ranking (where we are ranking very low) they would blame our large population for their own ineptitude.

They should stop talking about GDP. They should start talking about Per Capita Income which is a better reflection of the quality of life of the citizens.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 04, 2012
We could be the richest/biggest economy tomorrow and still have half of our citizens subsistence-level broke. The GDP per capita is the only metric i'm interested in. Nigeria still ranks about 141st in the world, well below countries like Iraq, Iran, south Sudan, Ghana and tiny Djibouti.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by kaiye007: 7:49pm On Sep 04, 2012
Where are the garriii cabals?
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by bigmaut: 7:59pm On Sep 04, 2012
How does this false statistics bring down d price of common garri,give us security,Get d ever increasing unemployed youth off d street
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Starlett: 9:20pm On Sep 04, 2012
Sad how these folks keep trying to deceive themselves and not us with paper statistics.
angry angry
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by buoye1(m): 12:19am On Sep 05, 2012
Den d whole world get problem b d@@ oo...if naija fit get 39...wait a mint abi na frm back una dey count am as in 39 position frm behind?
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by tevinsolt: 12:49am On Sep 05, 2012
when a child brings home a report card that says 39th position out of 100+ students or pupils the parents will respond by saying "are the kids coming 1st, 2nd, and 3rd born with two heads"...........GEJ you have failed woefully
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Watcher1: 8:08am On Sep 05, 2012
How does dis stops our leaders from being corrupt...?
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by abbeywasc(m): 9:32am On Sep 05, 2012
39th? Wt a congo of beans at 400naira and garri stl rising? Cassavated Bread stl dey increase price daily. E no go wella 4 ds statistics.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by OluBendel: 9:44am On Sep 05, 2012
What is the federal government up to again? who is deceiving who here? last time i checked Nigeria was actually number 30 in the world in terms of GDP If we are now number 39 what is the basis for celebration? i think the government owe us better explanations.See link-"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)"
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Nobody: 11:25am On Sep 05, 2012

Too much kunu is not good for your brain. I have always said it. That you are doing well because you just got a promotion on a job you may get fired 2mrw does not mean you are doing well.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 05, 2012
Nigeria should be among the first 10 most populous countries of the world. So who should rejoice over being the 39th largest economy We have a bunch of illiterate mediocres leading us.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by AjanleKoko: 1:01pm On Sep 05, 2012
okpara ugo: Nigeria should be among the first 10 most populous countries of the world. So who should rejoice over being the 39th largest economy We have a bunch of illiterate mediocres leading us.

Oga, we are among the first ten populous countries. No fear. We should be number 6 or 7 grin
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by Iolo(m): 1:27pm On Sep 05, 2012
1forall:

You, my friend, need to return to the zoo you came from angry

To an extent, he's statements are true. We have more new car users, and homeowners than we have in the past two decades. There's also more smaLl businesses bin set up.

Our problem is that the level of unemployment created by decades of rot won't be wiped off by a few years of things getting better. We need steady development to achieve desired growth as a nation.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by felixedet(m): 1:40pm On Sep 05, 2012
What matters is giving Nigerians a sense of pride in terms of the basic necessities of life. Figures and statistics only work in favour of corrupt government officials who seems to devote all their energies in vain pursuit.
Given the way things are, even if we are the 10th largest economy next year, how does that impact on the lives of all Nigerians?

Shamsudeen and other ministers need to work for the growth of the ordinary citizen hence forth.
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by deb(m): 1:53pm On Sep 05, 2012
I never knew that people have started celebreating 39th position o?

Meanwhile, what is economic development without infrastructural development
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by bigmaut: 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2012

oooh seun,!why do u allow idiots 2 comment on nairaland,we have all manners of foodstuffs display in d markets across d country does that means everybody is moving around with a full stomachs?,nigeria export over a million barrels of crude oil every fucking day does that make evry nigerian wealthy?. angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Is 39th Largest Economy - FG by occam(m): 3:11pm On Sep 05, 2012
Fiawest: This speech must have been delivered after a Dinner Party,I'm sure this guy.....yes I will call u a guy is drunk,or how else can we describe this watery statement from a (Dis)Honourable Minister of a Federal Rep.......'D last time I check'....u can imagine.Useless people.

And they expect investors to take them serious with crappy talk like this. It's a disgrace. They don't care about the economy; only to chop money and travel abroad.

Of course, with runaway inflation and no development GDP growth is meaningless. Today it's impossible for a family of six to feed properly on N5,000 for a month.

So the more the economy grows the less people become richer. This is the challenge with our economy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jonathan Condemns Killing Of Health Workers In Kano. / World Bank Partners FG To Recover 185m Euro Abacha Loot / SABOTAGE: Army Col, 10 Officers Set Nigerian Tankers Ablaze, Pave Way For Boko H

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.