Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,760 members, 7,972,723 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 05:00 PM

Do We Really Have A Sports Administration Problem? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Do We Really Have A Sports Administration Problem? (662 Views)

Buhari Won’t Meddle In Sports Administration—bolaji Abdulahi / Bolton Football Club is building a Sports Academy In Owerri / Does Superstitions Really Have Anything To Do With Football Results? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Do We Really Have A Sports Administration Problem? by AjanleKoko: 9:52am On Sep 04, 2012
Well, here's the thing: Nigeria has won 4 gold and 4 silver medals at the Paralympic Games. And the question is - how come?
I mean, if we are that bad on the able-bodied front, should we not be worse on the disabled side? If the sports ministry officials were that corrupt and clueless, we should not even be presenting a team at the Paralympics!

I think the problem is 70% on the side of the athletes we present to these competitions. Looks to me like the disabled athletes have more motivation or will to win, so they're winning. It would be a hard sell if someone says we are better organized for the Paralympics than the Olympics. And that corruption story is neither here nor there. If we have athletes with a winning mentality, they will win. After all, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia all won medals.

Your thoughts?
Re: Do We Really Have A Sports Administration Problem? by AjanleKoko: 10:05am On Sep 04, 2012
Another interesting side to it: We seem to have won most of the Paralympic medals in weightlifting.
If we are that strong on the disabled side, why don't we put more into that particular category, for the able athletes. I don't see how Nigeria could have won any track medal at the last Olympics; the field was way too strong. We were lucky to even get into some of those finals.

I'd say Nigerians should concentrate on sports like weightlifting, boxing, and some of the martial arts. We can still put some effort on track, but not really a medals focus. We've not been lucky in that area at all. Save for some relay medals, as well as Chioma Ajunwa's solo gold in the 1996 long jump.

(1) (Reply)

Football clubs And Their Managers - Last 26 Year / TRANSFER RONALDO.... For Making Money To Sign Messi / Super Eagles Squad For African Cup Of Nations 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.