Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,525 members, 7,905,026 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 July 2024 at 01:12 AM

Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose (2647 Views)

Chicago Bulls Star Derrick Rose Sued For Sexual Assault / Chicago Bull’s Derrick Rose Injured:out Of The Season,as Kobe Extends Contract / Miami Heat Win 2006 Nba Championship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by WadeFTW: 4:43pm On Jan 05, 2008
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by davidif: 7:34pm On Jan 05, 2008
This is not the NFL were a team can tank the season and be assured of the no. 1 pick in the draft, in the NBA its a lottery. Remember what happened to Rick Pitino and the Celts when Tim Duncan was coming out of college back in '98, even last year Boston got screwed again by the lottery balls and missed out on the man child himself. The NBA created the lottery system to prevent situations like tanking (even though, the worst team is given the highest probability of winning the no. 1 pick). Also, concerning the PG position, it is probably the most difficult position to learn in the NBA so who knows how long it will take the kid to mature, i would rather draft D.J. Augustin of Texas since he is a pure point rather than a shooting guard playing the point.
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by WadeFTW: 9:32pm On Jan 05, 2008
davidif:

This is not the NFL were a team can tank the season and be assured of the no. 1 pick in the draft, in the NBA its a lottery. Remember what happened to Rick Pitino and the Celts when Tim Duncan was coming out of college back in '98, even last year Boston got screwed again by the lottery balls and missed out on the man child himself. The NBA created the lottery system to prevent situations like tanking (even though, the worst team is given the highest probability of winning the no. 1 pick). Also, concerning the PG position, it is probably the most difficult position to learn in the NBA so who knows how long it will take the kid to mature, i would rather draft D.J. Augustin of Texas since he is a pure point rather than a shooting guard playing the point.

This statement reveals you have no idea who Derrick Rose is. Normally, when scouts evalute a point guard, first and foremost, they would pinpoint whether or not he has a combo guard or shooting guard mentality. Every scout has said this kid is a true PG, not like your prototypical combo/shooting guard. The youtube video was just to show his athleticism. On NBADraft.net and other hoop sites, the kid is regarded as a floor general and can run a team better than most PGs in the NBA. He is in NO WAY a shooting guard. Derrick Rose is also a lockdown defender with the athleticism of LeBron James (as you saw in that video), a good rebounder with a great attitude.

O.J Mayo is a combo guard, not Derrick Rose. Please do your homework next time before talking hoops, especially with me.

Oh yeah, and Bayless is better than that Augustin guy you brought up, if in case the balls don't bounce our way.
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by maden9ja(m): 1:26pm On Jan 07, 2008
WadeFTW, Pls why do u think u're ALWAYS right and does ur opinion HAVE to be the correct one,

If I'm right, U said so u'reself that u're the most knowledgeable person on hoops in the forum, Not that I care or anything, but that's not so necessary, to say such a thing,

Anyways, about ur argument, A team doesn't always have to go with a pure point guard, Check the rosters of the last few NBA championship teams, and tell me if the starting PG is a "true PG", Lakers won 3 straight crowns without one, Tony Parker sure as hell isn't one and I don't know if I'd call Billups one (he's naturally is scorer, he's just transformed into a PG),
So it doesn't really matter, whether Rose is a "true PG",

And for what it's worth, I'd take Mayo over Rose in a heartbeat, Mayo is a better all around player, even at the guard spot, And Mayo is a better defender, even the scouts say this, And their head to head matchup proved it, go look at the box score,

And yes i know the Tigers won the game, that's just because they've the better, more experienced team,

And I think Miami's biggest problem is at the front court, not the backcourt, Dwade has shown that he can more than fill it up at the backcourt when he's healthy, So Rose will not be a solution to their ocean of problems, They need a Mike Beasley, heck everyone does,

And I think Riles has overstayed his welcome as a coach, they shud get another one, He did nothing in the offseason as far as getting new players, Smush parker, please, Ricky davis, not too bad,
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by WadeFTW: 2:18pm On Jan 08, 2008
made.n.Nigeria:

WadeFTW, Please why do u think u're ALWAYS right and does your opinion HAVE to be the correct one,

If I'm right, You said so u'reself that u're the most knowledgeable person on hoops in the forum, Not that I care or anything, but that's not so necessary, to say such a thing,

Anyways, about your argument, A team doesn't always have to go with a pure point guard, Check the rosters of the last few NBA championship teams, and tell me if the starting PG is a "true PG", Lakers won 3 straight crowns without one, Tony Parker sure as hell isn't one and I don't know if I'd call Billups one (he's naturally is scorer, he's just transformed into a PG),
So it doesn't really matter, whether Rose is a "true PG",

And for what it's worth, I'd take Mayo over Rose in a heartbeat, Mayo is a better all around player, even at the guard spot, And Mayo is a better defender, even the scouts say this, And their head to head matchup proved it, go look at the box score,

And yes i know the Tigers won the game, that's just because they've the better, more experienced team,

And I think Miami's biggest problem is at the front court, not the backcourt, Dwade has shown that he can more than fill it up at the backcourt when he's healthy, So Rose will not be a solution to their ocean of problems, They need a Mike Beasley, heck everyone does,

And I think Riles has overstayed his welcome as a coach, they should get another one, He did nothing in the offseason as far as getting new players, Smush parker, please, Ricky davis, not too bad,

Miami's problem is at point guard as well as backcourt. Since Jason Williams contract is expiring, the Heat will need a solid point guard. To me, I feel that Rose is the best player in the draft. Why? Because Mayo is a little undersized for a shooting guard and has not developed a point guard's game. Now why would the Heat want to go for a guy that doesn't know how to run a team when Wade has already said he doesn't want to play point-guard? Wade is a defacto PG that doesn't have a great assist-to-turnover ratio either. Beasely would be a plus for the Heat, but he's regarded as being lethargic at times and has a  lack of feel for the game, plus I don't feel that Beasely's game will translate as well as Rose's in the NBA since Beasely doesn't know whether he'll play SF or PF, whereas Rose is a surefire PG. Guys like Kurt Thomas led the NCAA in points and rebounds, but look how he translates in the NBA. Rose is all about winning, has a great work ethic, doesn't care about stats, and has all the potential in the world. And, Mayo isn't half the defender Rose is. On NBADraft.net, they rate Rose's defense higher than Mayo.

Rose is a better slasher, far better passer, better on-ball defender (Mayo is not a lockdown type), and better rebounder. In addition, Rose is very coachable whereas Mayo can get out of hand. It's not even close IMO. Mayo just gets the hype.

About Mayo and Rose's head-to-head matchup. Neither showed up so your arguement about Mayo being better in regards to the game is a moot point.

I would agree with you on the sense that it is better to build a championship-caliber team around a big man than a point-guard. However, there are no franchaise big man in the draft. Rose (IMO) is the only franchise player in the draft, and I believe the role of a typical point-guard is much more important than that of a wing player, or a combo/shooting guard.
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by maden9ja(m): 11:26am On Jan 09, 2008
WadeFTW, 
I'm glad u just gave your opinion this time, without necessarily having to say "Do your homework next time",  bla bla bla,   And "destroyed on all fronts" whatever,  whatever,  Remember this is a forum,  and pples are just giving they opinion and everybody is entitled to one,  Nobody cares if You THINK u're the most knowledgeabe or whatever, ( it gives u a bad rap when u say that)
Now that we can relate like real, matured and quasi-hoops analysts,  let's get down to business, 

The reason why I say Miami is better off picking Beasley (or any other quality front court player ) is because I believe their problem is at the front court,  They lost(cause Wade got hurt in the series) in the conf. finals years back when Shaq was effective and they even won it all when Shaq was somewhat effective,  And remember who did they have as their PG when they got to conf. finals??,  Damon Jones,
Who did they have when they won? JWill, Teams don't really need to true PG to go all the way, above average will do, long as there's an allworld SG and centre or PF

So I reiterate, Miami's issue is at the frontcourt,  Give Beasley a chance,  Remember a couple of years back,  most scouts tore Amare apart, because of the similar things u say about Beasley,  being lazy, undisciplined, no passing outside the post, etc,  he slipped all the way to the 9th or was it 10th in the draft and he won the R.O.Y and PERSONALLY, I think he's turned out to be the best so far in that draft,  (let me know what u think about this one)

And if u're talking about bulking up,  look at D-howard,  look what he did to his body in 2 seasons,  And about height,  there are so many undersized and PF's in the game,  Elton Brand, Haslem is listed at 6' 8,  but he might not be up to that,  shoot even Marion plays that position on the run n gun Suns(though they don't really play a half court they offence),  and more importantly, my personal favorite, Sir Charles at listed at 6'6 KILLED people downlow,  heck, he prob'ly had a hall of fame career(hope i'm not being too presumptuous about that),

All I'm saying is that once u're about 6'8 and u've the necessary tools then u can play SF or PF,  I'm just saying that at his height, he can be really good and remember he already weighs 235, (15lbs more and he'll be "ripped"wink,  Plus how many lazy, lethargic players do u know that average 25 and 13 or 14 rbs a gme,  (Please don't say it's because he plays in a weak conference, )

I hope I don't sound like I'm vouching for the guy, and I'm sold on him (not necessarily0 I'm just saying that he has that flair about him and he has as good a chance if not better than any playr to be a solid and special NBA playr,  sooner rather that later, (remember he's closer to the basket)

Come on don't say there are no franchise type players on the draft, IMO,  in addition to Rose, there r Mayo, beasley and eric gordon(don't sleep on this one)

The only blameworthy incident about Mayo that comes to mind the game where he allegedly push a referee,  It was a hoax by the hateful and shameful referee,  he acted like he was pused after making a bogus call on mayo,  and I saw the clip and I'm sure u did too,  if i'm right Mayo's name was cleared wasn't it,  So don't say he's not coachable,

I just know from what I read about Rose is that, he a very humble kid and doesn't care about the hoopla, just wants to play ball,  that's good for a player of his potential,

Is it just me or have u noticed that this draft is going to be pg/sg sweepstakes,  You're right no franchise type forwards in the draft,  besides Beasley of course (lol),

your thoughts, ?

And for the record,   this is fun,  us going back and forth like this,
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by WadeFTW: 4:56am On Jan 10, 2008
made.n.Nigeria:

WadeFTW, 
The reason why I say Miami is better off picking Beasley (or any other quality front court player ) is because I believe their problem is at the front court,  They lost(cause Wade got hurt in the series) in the conf. finals years back when Shaq was effective and they even won it all when Shaq was somewhat effective,  And remember who did they have as their PG when they got to conf. finals??,  Damon Jones,
Who did they have when they won? JWill, Teams don't really need to true PG to go all the way, above average will do, long as there's an allworld SG and centre or PF

The fact of the matter is: Beasley is a tweener. . .meaning scouts do not know whether he will play 3 or the 4 in the league. If he wants to play the 4, he needs to add some weight and bulk up, as well as establish some defense. You have to understand that Haslem is more of a Riley guy: A goon that could rebound and play defense. I don't know if Beasley's stats will translate well considering he's played against much inferior competition, and played subpar (6 points 1-6 FG) against the only quality team he faced thus far in Xavier. Moreover, I don't like Beasley because of his selfish play. He's not a team-oriented player IMO.  He reminds me alot of Derrick Coleman. . .just tad more athletic version.

If I had to pick a post presence in the draft, I would go with DeAndre Jordan. Very good defensively. He knows how box out well, and knows how to position himself well for a dunk. Might I add that he can also jump out of the gym with his 7 foot frame? Could have another Dwight Howard in the making. The only problem I have with him is the rawness of his offense. He needs to develop more go-to moves and different repertoires. It's not good to have one tendency as your game can become very predictable in the short run and defenses would know how to adjust. I guess another year in college would help. Hibbert from Georgetown would be another good choice.
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by maden9ja(m): 6:00pm On Jan 10, 2008
But honestly though,  I think this'll probably be a somewhat weak draft,  not too many "quality" players,  if u know what i mean,

And I think it'll mostly be guards that'll be picked,

Hey,  do u know of Abdullahi Kuso,  a 6'9 -6'10 forward that plays for Gonzaga bulldogs He's not so bad,  could be a second round pick,  if he's lucky,
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by BlackMamba(m): 7:58pm On Jan 11, 2008
I understand that tanking wont guarantee you a top pick in the NBA because of the lottery, or I will be most grateful to Isiah and his bunch of morons. But NBA better conspire to throw the Knickerbockers a bone in the next draft. The Knicks needs all the help they can get, including spiritual, to revive them. A strong Knicks playing at the "World Most Famous Arena" brings credibility to the NBA and improves everybody's bottomline.
Re: Miami Heat Should Tank The Season And Get Derrick Rose by JeSoul(f): 8:32pm On Jan 11, 2008
BlackMamba:

I understand that tanking wont guarantee you a top pick in the NBA because of the lottery, or I will be most grateful to Isiah and his bunch of morons. But NBA better conspire to throw the Knickerbockers a bone in the next draft. The Knicks needs all the help they can get, including spiritual, to revive them. A strong Knicks playing at the "World Most Famous Arena" brings credibility to the NBA and improves everybody's bottomline.
  Yup tanking certainly does not guarantee anything! take it from someone who lives in Boston! it was soooo painful for our Celtics last yr. So don't count on getting the #1 pick and DR.
  Anyways Miami should just play out the season, play the younger guys more so they can up their experience and sit the "veterans" who are not producing anything. It'll be better for the team come next yr esp since most of the "veterans" will prob not be there next yr.

As for the knicks their problems are endless but if they are serious about change - they should start by firing Isiah Thomas-the virus infecting their system. Why he still has a job is beyond me, hmm maybe he has "dirt" on James Dolan. grin

(1) (Reply)

10 Tallest Nba Players / Dance Fitness Classes! (Ladies Only) / Start A SPORT BETTING BUSINESS ... It Is Profitable !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.