Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,304 members, 7,940,215 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 07:47 PM

Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos (4440 Views)

Pirates Captured By Navy After They Hijacked Oil Tanker (Photos) / Ex-militants Threaten To Blow Up Hijacked Vessel, Expatriates Onboard Over Biafr / Navy Rescues Hijacked Singapore-owned Oil Tanker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by Nobody: 11:11am On Sep 05, 2012
(AFP) – Pirates have hijacked a Singapore-owned oil tanker in the Nigerian port of Lagos — the third attack in just over two weeks in the Gulf of Guinea, the International Maritime Bureau said on Wednesday.

The vessel, which had 23 crew on board, was laden with fuel, the bureau’s Kuala Lumpur-based piracy reporting centre said, adding that the pirates were sailing the ship into the open sea.

It did not say how the pirates hijacked the tanker on Tuesday evening.

“We have informed the Nigerian authorities who are taking action,” Noel Choong, head of the IMB’s Malaysia-based piracy reporting centre told AFP.

The crew members had locked themselves in a safe room, said Choong, who added: “We are concerned about their safety and the spate of hijackings,” he said.

Pirates hijacked and looted two oil tankers off nearby Togo last month. The two ships and all crew members were later freed.

Choong said the same criminal syndicate could be behind the latest attack since the modus operandi was the same.

“The would seize the ship for about five days — ransack the crew’s cabin and syphon the oil to another pirate vessel,” he said.

The IMB has repeatedly warned ships plying the Gulf of Guinea off the west coast of Africa to be vigilant and called on authorities to step up patrols, saying last year the region was emerging as a new piracy “hot spot”.

The area has seen 37 attacks, including several hijackings, kidnappings and killings, so far this year. Pirates usually target cargo, loading it onto other ships to sell on the black market.

Nigeria and nearby Benin launched joint patrols last year in a bid to combat the problem.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/09/05/pirates-seize-oil-tanker-kidnap-crew-off-nigeria/
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by mkmyers45(m): 12:58pm On Sep 05, 2012
Original BH? Somalian Rebels? MEND? Criminal BH? OPC? MASSOB? CABAL? PDP BH?

Men the list goes on and on...

1 Like

Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by inspirenet: 1:03pm On Sep 05, 2012
Interesting.. cool
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by Pimples(m): 1:05pm On Sep 05, 2012
In the long run it might Fuel Supply....
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by 3rdSimonAndal(m): 1:05pm On Sep 05, 2012
It's gotta be any one of the numerous "terrorist" groups we have in Nigeria
_
Please, mods, un-ban SimonAndal, as I've done absolutely nothing to warrant it. This is the second time I've been banned, as you can see from this handle.
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 1:13pm On Sep 05, 2012
3rdSimonAndal: It's gotta be any one of the numerous "terrorist" groups we have in Nigeria
_
Please, mods, un-ban SimonAndal, as I've done absolutely nothing to warrant it. This is the second time I've been banned, as you can see from this handle.

Have you been drinking garri in heavy doses lately?? grin grin grin MOD please unban SimonAndal
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by Nobody: 1:19pm On Sep 05, 2012
Is the Nigera-Benin joint patrol team still active?
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by BeraBera(f): 1:23pm On Sep 05, 2012
And how does this affect the price of Fuel in the filing station?

1 Like

Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by Yemak74: 1:37pm On Sep 05, 2012
savedbreak: EeyaaHH!! I hope this won't affect the price of kpomo that am about to buy from Ola mummy booker ooh....
@ savedbreak.... So u r ife based... Na my mummy s shop u dey buy that. Lol
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by PeeDaVinci: 2:13pm On Sep 05, 2012
[size=16pt]the reward for handsomely rewarding violence (in the name of watever) is more violence[/size]
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2012
If you're a Nigerian here in this forum u should check out my signature..its hot now!
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by IleIfe2(m): 2:54pm On Sep 05, 2012
I don't like Singaporeans, so i don't give a damn what happens to their ship. That's one of the most xenophobic countries you'd ever visit. They even have the capacity to store more oil than lots of oil producing countries. racist bastards. abeg, shoot the Singaporeans on that ship, syphon the oil and sink the bloody ship.
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by ujukala: 3:01pm On Sep 05, 2012
what?
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by tucker12(m): 3:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
Sad!!! I believe Nigerian water ways should not be taken over by sea pirates.
All this events drives us closer to dysfunctional state.
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by AfroBlue(m): 3:51pm On Sep 05, 2012
just got the news

Pirates seize oil tanker, kidnap crew off Nigeria

By JON GAMBRELL
Associated Press
Pirates attacked and seized an oil tanker off the coast of Nigeria's largest city, the country's navy said Wednesday, kidnapping an unknown number of sailors who were trying to hide from their assailants.

The pirates targeted the MT Abu Dhabi Star, which was anchored 80 kilometers (50 miles) off the coast of Lagos, the country's biggest port, said Commodore Kabir Aliyu, a spokesman for Nigeria's navy. The sailors onboard sent distress signals as the pirates boarded the ship Tuesday night, with their last message indicating they had locked themselves inside a panic room on the vessel, Aliyu said.

The oil tanker, flagged out of Singapore, is operated by Pioneer Ship Management Services LLC, a company with offices in Dubai. The company said in a statement that it lost radio contact with the tanker on Wednesday.

"Pioneer have since received contact from the crew onboard the vessel and can confirm that all crew members are currently reported to be safe and uninjured, but that the vessel has been boarded by suspected pirates," the statement read.

Pioneer said it had not received any ransom demands for its crew. The company did not say how many sailors were onboard the vessel nor did it give their nationalities.

The attack mirrored two others carried out in recent days in waters off the coast of Togo. In both of those cases, the crew were released unharmed after pirates ransacked the vessels and stole the gasoline or oil onboard the ship, according to the International Maritime Bureau, which tracks piracy across the world.

Pirate attacks are on the rise in West Africa's Gulf of Guinea, which follows the continent's southward curve from Liberia to Gabon. Over the last year and a half, piracy there has escalated from low-level armed robberies to hijackings and cargo thefts. Last year, London-based Lloyd's Market Association - an umbrella group of insurers - listed Nigeria, neighboring Benin and nearby waters in the same risk category as Somalia, where two decades of war and anarchy have allowed piracy to flourish.

Pirates in West Africa have been more willing to use violence in their robberies, as they target the cargo, not the crew for ransom as is the case off Somalia. Experts say many of the pirates come from Nigeria, where corrupt law enforcement allows criminality to thrive.

Analysts believe the recent hijackings of tanker ships may well be the work of a single, sophisticated criminal gang with knowledge of the oil industry and oil tankers. Those involved in the hijackings may have gotten that experience in Nigeria's southern Niger Delta, where thieves tap pipelines running through the swamps to steal hundreds of thousands of barrels of oil a day.
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by taharqa: 4:05pm On Sep 05, 2012
Lagos Port? Wahala dey
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by cutievik: 4:27pm On Sep 05, 2012
The Nigeria Navy has rescued the ship,these guys are impressive!
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by moshmusth(m): 5:06pm On Sep 05, 2012
Mtchewww, my boys dey find money to buy sallah ram.
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by Acidosis(m): 5:22pm On Sep 05, 2012
cutievik: The Nigeria Navy has rescued the ship,these guys are impressive!
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by chii8(f): 5:27pm On Sep 05, 2012
Brand_new: Girl you are too raw for NL.
notice me...ur noticed indeed
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by lurvy: 5:31am On Sep 06, 2012
I commend the Navy for this rescue... With the contents of the tanker intact, i sincerely hope the price of rriga will be greatly affected in the market...
Re: Singapore-owned Oil Tanker Hijacked In Lagos by timilehing(m): 5:49am On Sep 06, 2012
Wher we fit see d looted oil buy jare

(1) (Reply)

News Breaking:umuchu Residents Forced Ngige Out Of His Car( Pics) / Some Yorubas Be Like...(picture) After Oba's Comment / APC Says 1 Billion Dollars Was Found In Labaran Maku's Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.