Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,811 members, 7,915,307 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 08:36 PM

For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? (1334 Views)

Married Men And Women: Is It A Must You Take Dinner With Your Spouses? / For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Babysit Ur Kids? / Guys, If U Discovered One Of Ur Kids Is Illegitimate, Wud U Forgive Ur Wife? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by promire2004(f): 6:27pm On Sep 09, 2012
Well, over-time, I have seen cases where husbands sit idly in their living rooms fiddling over newspapers they might have probably perused severally while Their wives are left to do all d laundry, cooking, babysitting and so on. At other times, fathers do d babysitting devotedly. IMO,the raising up of kids is a collective responsibility of parents. So for the male folks out there who babysit, how often do u do that and what are your joys and challenges?? Please I want constructive comments here. If you find d thread annoying, simply move on to d next thread....thanks.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by SisiKill1: 7:03pm On Sep 09, 2012
Maybe if you stopped calling it "babysitting" and started calling it what it really is - PARENTING . .more men would do it. undecided
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by JallowBah(f): 8:15pm On Sep 09, 2012
I dont babysit my own kid, neither does my husband. Its called parenting.

Even if I go to dance at the club, he is not babysitting his own kid, he is home with the child.

And I would not settle down with a man that expected me to do everything around the house..
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by promire2004(f): 8:15am On Sep 10, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Maybe if you stopped calling it "babysitting" and started calling it what it really is - PARENTING . .more men would do it. undecided
.......sorry for using the word "babysitting". But at least u still got d message.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by promire2004(f): 8:17am On Sep 10, 2012
JallowBah: I dont babysit my own kid, neither does my husband. Its called parenting.

Even if I go to dance at the club, he is not babysitting his own kid, he is home with the child.

And I would not settle down with a man that expected me to do everything around the house..
Noted!
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 8:39am On Sep 10, 2012
Sisi_Kill: Maybe if you stopped calling it "babysitting" and started calling it what it really is - PARENTING . .more men would do it. undecided

What's wrong with baby-sitting

1 Like

Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 9:12am On Sep 10, 2012
I don't "babysit" my own children, I spend quality time with them. It's called "parenting", which I do often and enjoy doing. It's not a big deal, babysitting makes it sound like a chore, which it certainly isn't.

Babysitting is a reference to looking after children other than your own.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by promire2004(f): 10:18am On Sep 10, 2012
Siena: I don't "babysit" my own children, I spend quality time with them. It's called "parenting", which I do often and enjoy doing. It's not a big deal, babysitting makes it sound like a chore, which it certainly isn't.

Lol. Thanks for the correction.....noted!
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 10, 2012
Hubby spends more time with the kids after work than I do. No be him pickin dem be? Any man who feels taking care of his kids is doing his wofe a favor should not answer when the kids grow up and call him father.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by MrsChima(f): 12:11pm On Sep 10, 2012
Lmao at fathers babysitting their kids!!!!!
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by promire2004(f): 12:20pm On Sep 10, 2012
debrief08: Hubby spends more time with the kids after work than I do. No be him pickin dem be? Any man who feels taking care of his kids is doing his wofe a favor should not answer when the kids grow up and call him father.
Abi oooooooo. But some men care less about parenting. They leave virtually everything for their wives. U've a caring hubby and that's cool.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by WhiteOne(f): 1:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
Babysitting – well, how much money do you have? Looking for a Babysitter? As dad is so busy doing business and mummy has a well-paid full time job, the four to five this looked after by a nanny.
Just kidding, most parents in London share the work, it is not possible otherwise. Even neighbours help each other. My hubby has sometimes daddy’s day care or daddy’s after school club. By 5 to 8 pounds per child no wonder!
If the men do not role up the sleeves and dig in, our live stile just sucks.
And any lady, who comes down from Nigeria, is just after money.
So Mr. Baby-Sitting or No Process.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 1:07pm On Sep 10, 2012
WhiteOne: Babysitting – well, how much money do you have? Looking for a Babysitter? As dad is so busy doing business and mummy has a well-paid full time job, the four to five this looked after by a nanny.
Just kidding, most parents in London share the work, it is not possible otherwise. Even neighbours help each other. My hubby has sometimes daddy’s day care or daddy’s after school club. By 5 to 8 pounds per child no wonder!
If the men do not role up the sleeves and dig in, our live stile just sucks.
And any lady, who comes down from Nigeria, is just after money.
So Mr. Baby-Sitting or No Process.

I'm really struggling to understand what you've typed here. undecided

2 Likes

Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
Siena: I don't "babysit" my own children, I spend quality time with them. It's called "parenting", which I do often and enjoy doing. It's not a big deal, babysitting makes it sound like a chore, which it certainly isn't.

No need for technicalities . . . It's either you are looking after your kids or you are not!

Calling it 'baby-sitting' doesn't change the fact!

1 Like

Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by SisiKill1: 2:56pm On Sep 10, 2012
Babysitting implies that there is a limited time frame while parenting is a lifelong thing.

In my opinion, it behooves us to use the right words when addressing such things or we run the risk of sending the wrong message. Unfortunately, there are some men out there who think their on part in the child rearing process is just babysitting. I've heard women say things like "Oh I have to hurry home because my husband is babysitting the kids" or " If I can get my husband to babysit the kids, I would really love to attend the seminar".

There's this woman I know who has to tell her husband how long she will be at the store or wherever, so he know he won't have to be in charge of the kids for more than a set time. . .it's not like he is going anywhere oh, he is gonna be home anyway but if you see the way she hurries with her business so she can get home on time. . .like someone who has to pay time and half because she stayed longer than the specified time.

If that kinda woman didn't refer to the task as "Babysitting" and called it what it really. . .maybe the husband won't feel so put out when he has to be in charge for more than a specified time.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by MrsChima1(f): 3:01pm On Sep 10, 2012
Parents can't babysit their own children and babysitting is sitting in for an absent parent of another child during an agreed period of time.

It is not that complicated.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by promire2004(f): 10:28pm On Sep 10, 2012
I don't know why some persons would leave what is important for trivial things. Baby-sitting, parenting, whatever..... What matters most is that I tried as much as possible to be succinct in my post. Over-analyzing whether baby-sitting is the right or wrong word for this context isn't the point please. Like I pointed out earlier, constructive criticisms are welcome but I really don't like it when a topic is derailed. Yeah, yeah, I know I shudn't have used the word 'baby-sitting' makes it sound like a hectic chore or something of that sort, but pleaseeeeeeeeeee, let's stick to the topic. Thanks.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 10, 2012
promire2004: I don't know why some persons would leave what is important for trivial things. Baby-sitting, parenting, whatever..... What matters most is that I tried as much as possible to be succinct in my post. Over-analyzing whether baby-sitting is the right or wrong word for this context isn't the point please. Like I pointed out earlier, constructive criticisms are welcome but I really don't like it when a topic is derailed. Yeah, yeah, I know I shudn't have used the word 'baby-sitting' makes it sound like a hectic chore or something of that sort, but pleaseeeeeeeeeee, let's stick to the topic. Thanks.
Simple, modify your title and write the right thing, we cant look past it and just "manage" thats how Nigeria got to this state, something isnt right and we refuse to correct it we say "manage it like that".
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by JallowBah(f): 11:09pm On Sep 10, 2012
A man should "babysit" just as much as the mother, as soon as the baby starts eating, unless the mother is a housewife.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by promire2004(f): 12:02am On Sep 11, 2012
debrief08:
Simple, modify your title and write the right thing, we cant look past it and just "manage" thats how Nigeria got to this state, something isnt right and we refuse to correct it we say "manage it like that".
Yes ma'am.......
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 14, 2012
Ujujoan:

No need for technicalities . . . It's either you are looking after your kids or you are not!

Calling it 'baby-sitting' doesn't change the fact!

If you think doing things right, or stating things correctly is a technicality, I'm not sure how your thought process works. One of the reasons Nigeria is in the state she's in today - An inability to change, or take correction. Even the OP saw it fitting to change the title of her thread.

So yes, making right and wrong statements will produce different results.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 14, 2012
Siena:

If you think doing things right, or stating things correctly is a technicality, I'm not sure how your thought process works. One of the reasons Nigeria is in the state she's in today - An inability to change, or take correction. Even the OP saw it fitting to change the title of her thread.

So yes, making right and wrong statements will produce different results.

Yea right . . .

Nigeria's in a dump cos I just called 'Potato' "Pothato' . . .
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 14, 2012
Ujujoan:

Yea right . . .

Nigeria's in a dump cos I just called 'Potato' "Pothato' . . .

Very much so. As I stated, there's nothing wrong in making mistakes, as long as the said mistakes are acknowledged. Happily, the OP acknowledged hers. It wasn't even your error, so not sure why you're getting all hot under the collar.

I don't babysit my own children, I parent them, spend quality time with them. I babysit children that aren't mine, if their parents are not around, and I'm in a position to do so. I can't parent them, because I have no parental responsibility over them.

It's that simple.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 14, 2012
Siena:

Very much so. As I stated, there's nothing wrong in making mistakes, as long as the said mistakes are acknowledged. Happily, the OP acknowledged hers. It wasn't even your error, so not sure why you're getting all hot under the collar.

I don't babysit my own children, I parent them, spend quality time with them. I babysit children that aren't mine, if their parents are not around, and I'm in a position to do so. I can't parent them, because I have no parental responsibility over them.

It's that simple.

I'm not the one bothered here . . . You are the one fixating on terms used rightly/wrongly.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 9:42am On Sep 14, 2012
Ujujoan:

I'm not the one bothered here . . . You are the one fixating on terms used rightly/wrongly.

Well you pulled me up on my post when you quoted me. No one else did. How come you didn't quote anyone else?

Still, the title was corrected by the OP, and that's all that matters. cool And the general consensus on here is that we parent our children, not babysit them. coolAgain, that's all that counts, and the OP's gotten the idea. cool

Adios!
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 14, 2012
Siena:

Well you pulled me up on my post when you quoted me. No one else did. How come you didn't quote anyone else?

Still, the title was corrected by the OP, and that's all that matters. cool And the general consensus on here is that we parent our children, not babysit them. coolAgain, that's all that counts, and the OP's gotten the idea. cool

Adios!

Yea yea yea . . whatever!
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 11:23am On Sep 14, 2012
Ujujoan:

Yea yea yea . . whatever!

That's the response expected from teens who can't back up their statements. Not what I would have expected from you, but hey, this is the age of miracles.
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by Nobody: 11:28am On Sep 14, 2012
Siena:

That's the response expected from teens who can't back up their statements. Not what I would have expected from you, but hey, this is the age of miracles.

Just cos I don't want to get immersed in technicalities with you, I'm now a teen O . . .k, I hear you!
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by r231(m): 11:33am On Sep 14, 2012

Gbam
Re: For The Married Men Out Thr.....how Often Do U Spend Time With Ur Kids? by promire2004(f): 6:57pm On Sep 15, 2012
Siena:

Adios!
Siena, pls take it easy with ujujoan. I really wanna use this medium to thank you and miss Chima profusely for the correction. I dunno why i used 'babysitting' instead of 'parenting' in the first place, my bad. Uju had a right to share her opinion because everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Now i know there is a huge difference between parenting and babysitting. Thanks once again. @Uju, Siena was actually right. Did some findings and realized my mistake.......

(1) (Reply)

Is It To Beat Her Or To Ignore Her, Which Is Wiser??? / A Thread For First Sons. / Man Becomes Angry At His Wife After She Gave Birth Via C-section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.