Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,990 members, 7,873,184 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:28 AM

Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN (12143 Views)

Important Message About The New #5000 Note CBN Want To Introduce / How We Can Reject Change / Tunde Bakare Reject Cow From GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by oradee: 11:46am On Sep 10, 2012
ballabriggs:

Zimbabwe? Oh no, you better know the fact about issues before you run your mouth.

Firstly, Zimbabwe came under a lot of international sanctions with the land reform. Zimbabwe could not thus earn foreign exchange from exports to meet its demand for imports. What happened? The reserves went almost empty and as goods were not being imported hyper-inlation came about, the Zimbabwean dollar lost its value. It meant you needed a lot of cash to effect a transaction. Using the old denominations became cumbersome as you needed a lot of cash and there was thus a need to print the billion dollars given the rate of inflation. What we have here is the fact that infalation is what brings the need for a reform rather than a reform leading to inflation. So please get your facts right before citing country examples.

The currency reform just like the cashless policy is geared towards efficiency in transactions and thus complements each other.

efficiency? so who amd who wld spend it? is it those operating in billions who use their cheques and ATM's? cos if im forcefully given N5000 note from the ATM,i wld definately wanna break it down fast at either the toll gate or i use it to pay Danfo/BRT, so isnt it gonna require more notes to break down a N5000 note?

we know our mentality as Nigerians, if we didnt accept Soludo's coins,why wld we accept Sanusi's coins? or wld the coins be made from plastic and not the normal material?

and as someone said,why not print that N5000 as coins (along side the other coins)? that way the N5000 coins wld either sustain the existence of the other coins or they wld all die a natural(and expected) death
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by jamil2(m): 11:49am On Sep 10, 2012
Gaiden k: Mallam na mallam,whether u spell am from front or back,what u expect from a cattle rearer,daft speech.

Same will applicable to mumu, be it from front or back always mumu is mumu. Wait respond to this little question Can Sunusi wake up today and implement a policy in the institution heading without Federal Government Approval? I am not in support or depending sunusi, but hatred, mawkishness and bigotry should be sidestepped on daily posts here, thus it will promote development and progress rather tedious us back.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by chamber2(m): 11:50am On Sep 10, 2012
ballabriggs:

N1 to $1 in the past, today it is N160 to $1. You want it back to the 1970's abi? Very good!!! With what now, with juju abi? What the hell do you produce in your economy to earn you foreign exchange apart from the crude oil which is subject to fluctuating prices? He should use juju to bring the naira at par with the dollar abi? Without the measures they've taken so far to protect the naira, by now the naira would have been going for about 250naira to a dollar given the global recession. You want me to call Britain and US when you cannot even match ordinary Malaysia in terms of development. Are you still moaning? The world is moving, humanity is moving.

We accept the currency reform for the sake of sustainability.

You seem to me like one ''obodo oyibo'' bred kid! No economy functions in isolation of the socio-psychological disposition of the people. Spending N40b just to print some piece of paper so as to create some measure of convenience is bad economics if you ask me, especially in a country riddled with poverty, inequality, corruption and unemployment. The ONLY benefit of the N5000 is the assumed convenience it creates and the reduction in currency management cost. Aside this, nothing else. Over the last few months the CBN and it's agents have been selling the ''cashless'' policy gospel to Nigerians. This policy was designed to reduce the quantum of cash in circulation, promote operational efficiency, reduce thievery and other vices, and ultimately leads to job creation through the establishment of POS and other payment infrastructures. Now, tell me where the N5000 enters into the equation? Cashless policy and new currency introduction, complete counter-policy initiative!

On the issue of coins, history has shown that Nigerians dont feel comfortable carrying coins. This may be as a result of lack of facilities that will facilitate the use of coins e.g phone boots, train transportation etc. So, reducing N20 to coin will mean outright disappearance of these lower denominations thereby making N50 the lowest denomination with its attendant inflation pressure. So, couldn't the CBN wait for a while to see how successful the cashless policy will be before this new currency restructuring? Why the haste? The cashless policy would have complemented the new currency if adequate time was given for a complete introduction of the cashless regime.

Now, one CBN deputy governor came up to say that the people can reject the N5000 note from the commercial banks if they deem necessary. Reject a legal tender, how possible? The problem we have as a country is that we live in a time when those in positions of authority systematically lie to its people so as to gain little personal advantage. This is the delima of the Nigerian society

2 Likes

Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by oradee: 11:53am On Sep 10, 2012
Image123: bank customers can reject 5000naira notes? what of we common people who are not bank customers? the conductors, the gala, la casera and bread hawkers? the recharge card seller and pure water vendors, how do we also reject the 5000naira notes without fights, curses and hype and at no loss?

i just hope someone is smart enough to ask CBN and Sanusi this question during an interview...
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by oradee: 12:03pm On Sep 10, 2012
chamber2:

You seem to me like one ''obodo oyibo'' bred kid! No economy functions in isolation of the socio-psychological disposition of the people. Spending N40b just to print some piece of paper so as to create some measure of convenience is bad economics if you ask me, especially in a country riddled with poverty, inequality, corruption and unemployment. The ONLY benefit of the N5000 is the assumed convenience it creates and the reduction in currency management cost. Aside this, nothing else. Over the last few months the CBN and it's agents have been selling the ''cashless'' policy gospel to Nigerians. This policy was designed to reduce the quantum of cash in circulation, promote operational efficiency, reduce thievery and other vices, and ultimately leads to job creation through the establishment of POS and other payment infrastructures. Now, tell me where the N5000 enters into the equation? Cashless policy and new currency introduction, complete counter-policy initiative!

On the issue of coins, history has shown that Nigerians dont feel comfortable carrying coins. This may be as a result of lack of facilities that will facilitate the use of coins e.g phone boots, train transportation etc. So, reducing N20 to coin will mean outright disappearance of these lower denominations thereby making N50 the lowest denomination with its attendant inflation pressure. So, couldn't the CBN wait for a while to see how successful the cashless policy will be before this new currency restructuring? Why the haste? The cashless policy would have complemented the new currency if adequate time was given for a complete introduction of the cashless regime.

Now, one CBN deputy governor came up to say that the people can reject the N5000 note from the commercial banks if they deem necessary. Reject a legal tender, how possible? The problem we have as a country is that we live in a time when those in positions of authority systematically lie to its people so as to gain little personal advantage. This is the delima of the Nigerian society

#EnoughSaid...
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by faithin9ja: 12:04pm On Sep 10, 2012
chamber2:

[b]On the issue of coins, history has shown that Nigerians dont feel comfortable carrying coins. This may be as a result of lack of facilities that will facilitate the use of coins e.g phone boots, train transportation etc. So, reducing N20 to coin will mean outright disappearance of these lower denominations thereby making N50 the lowest denomination with its attendant inflation pressure. So, couldn't the CBN wait for a while to see how successful the cashless policy will be before this new currency restructuring? Why the haste? The cashless policy would have complemented the new currency if adequate time was given for a complete introduction of the cashless regime.

[/b]Now, one CBN deputy governor came up to say that the people can reject the N5000 note from the commercial banks if they deem necessary. Reject a legal tender, how possible? The problem we have as a country is that we live in a time when those in positions of authority systematically lie to its people so as to gain little personal advantage. This is the delima of the Nigerian society

Which history? we used coins in Nigeria from before independence to the late 1980's. As late as 1989 I was entering Molue from Agege to Oshodi for 10kobo a drop. enter with your change oh! wo le pelu coins oh!!!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by oradee: 12:10pm On Sep 10, 2012
faithin9ja: [/b]

Please stop taliking like an illiterate. Naira and Pounds are NOT the same. The intials do NOT matter.

The Japanese Yen is one of the strongest currencies in the world. It is one of the currencies used as a store of international value yet $1 = 78YEN. does that make the Yen worthless please answer

and because of this, the US has decided to print $5000 so that it wld be convenient for them when they wanna go to fast food? (cos thats ur excuse in relation to 20 pounds)
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Chinom(m): 12:13pm On Sep 10, 2012
DO NOT PRINT IT. PERIOD. And if you must do, leave N5,N10 and N20 as notes. Do not put them in coins. Nigerians will riot if they have to pay N50 for pure water. In Lagos, one can still pay N30 for short bus trips.
Conductors will not accept N20 and N10 coins. That same trip will now be N50. Then all hell will break loose.
The idea of a N5000 note is very dumb. There is nothing positive about it for 98% of Nigerians.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by oradee: 12:13pm On Sep 10, 2012
faithin9ja:

Which history? we used coins in Nigeria from before independence to the late 1980's. As late as 1989 I was entering Molue from Agege to Oshodi for 10kobo a drop. enter with your change oh! wo le pelu coins oh!!!

whats ur point? when last did u spend coins? when last did u ask for change and u were given coins? when last did molue receive coins from u/
if u want everyone to support the N5000 introduction, then advocate that they should be printed in coins that way every one is happy...(afterall note and coins are one and same legal tender)
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Olaone1: 12:15pm On Sep 10, 2012
Odunnu: How does this thrash even sound in their ears?
'you can reject' a legal tender?
*smh*
We were compelled to take the coins, now we can reject the note.

Omo ni e jare.

Seriously, Sanusi is losing it.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by lumeneng22: 12:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
General acceptability is one of function of money. Rejecting it is against the law as a legal tender.All those top government funtionaries governors are all in support because they want to loot us dry. Only God knows how much ibori could hav loot if there was N5000 note then. The intention is purely to STEAL simple.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by chamber2(m): 12:22pm On Sep 10, 2012
faithin9ja:

Let me tell you something. The fact that coins were used/accepted in the 80s when the purchasing power of the naira was at par with the USA dollars does not mean that people will ultimately accept it now. Times have changed, and the naira is more or less worthless. N20 can barely pay any body's fare currently. So, what are we talking about? What is the usefulness of the coins when they cannot be accepted/used? Soludo tried it and failed. Blacksmiths etc converted the coins to earrings, jewelries etc and made fortunes from there. This is because the jewelries worth more than the currency itself in real terms. This is the classical case of bad money chasing away good money in circulation.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by nuelnuel: 12:24pm On Sep 10, 2012
These CBN people are just funny.Ok how can you reject what the ATM dispensed for you.You leave it there and go!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by pecopeco: 12:29pm On Sep 10, 2012
IT IS A BIG INFLATION[b] TO OUR COUNTRY[/b]
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by chucky234(m): 12:35pm On Sep 10, 2012
What else can one expect from a clueless deputy attached a CBN governor who carved his failed policies from plagiarized ideas,a governor who single handedly turned the banking sector from the most employing sector to the most sacking sector with over 50,000 bankers sacked so far.

Sanusi with his fake Islamic policies has caused more harm to the Nigeria economy than all the past CBN governors combined,a clueless Islamic scholar driven by selfishness and egocentric nature.

A man who compel the populace to reject legal tender knows nothing about economics,they should be fired.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by philip0906(m): 12:37pm On Sep 10, 2012
faithin9ja:

How old are you? where were you when N1 = $1? do you know how much people earned then?

When N1 = $1, a driver would earn N30 a month!!! rent for one room in Mushin or Ajegungle would N5 ($5) a month.

How much does a driver earn now? Can a driver earn less than N35,000 ($200) a month? how much is rent in one room in Mushin or Ajegungle now? N5000 a month - still one seventh of a driver salary.

It is called NPV (Net Present Value) Even the dollar you use as your measure has lost over 300% of it's value over the last 30years. 30 years ago new cars in US cost $3500, now they same standard of car cost $25,000. Please go and learn basic economics before posting.
what r u blabbing about? U are still hitting the point i am driving home. . .How come we have fallen so low? Why are we not trying 2 get back 2 d good 'old days or @ least measure up with the peeps we competed with back in d days? Y must we fall with our back 2 d ground? Don't people earn $10 every hour in the u.s and feed themselves well with it? can someone who earns N10 every hour feed himself 2day? I am not talking economics, I am talking practicals here.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 10, 2012
I know what these guys are planing to do, they will make it appear that it won't be forced on Nigerians and then once Nigerians looks away and the currency comes out they (CBN) will go back and announce that refusing a legal tender is crime.
We know their games and soon it will be over for the lunatic
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Keen1(m): 12:43pm On Sep 10, 2012
The position of the CBN is very laughable. Will you also tell the ATM machine not to give you N5,000 notes because most of cash collection less than N100,000 is done through ATM. If the Atm machine dispenses N5,000 when you dont need it what will you do? Will CBN also instruct banks not to load N5,000 into the ATM machines? Why are people in government and the CBN being arrogant? In a civilised setting you dialogue before you take a decision but here in Nigeria you take a decision before you dialogue or at best in the middle of dialogue you enforce your decision (just as it happenend in January when pump price was increased). If we actually voted for you people, please and please listen to us. If you dont, God fights for the oppressed o.

When last did the President of CBN Governor spend N100 or N50? They might not have touched it in a long time ago. Please dont aggravate the poverty position in the land. If you do, God Himself will deal with you. Economic management team continue. It makes stealing very easy and it makes it easy for you to steal our money. God dey sha.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by faithin9ja: 12:53pm On Sep 10, 2012
philip0906:
what r u blabbing about? U are still hitting the point i am driving home. . .How come we have fallen so low? Why are we not trying 2 get back 2 d good 'old days or @ least measure up with the peeps we competed with back in d days? Y must we fall with our back 2 d ground? Don't people earn $10 every hour in the u.s and feed themselves well with it? can someone who earns N10 every hour feed himself 2day? I am not talking economics, I am talking practicals here.

What is your problem? $10 is N1500, is it bad to earn N1500 and feed your self with it? must it be N10 to feed with N10? You earn N1500, you spend N1500. Or you are complaining because the 'zeroes' are too much?

the question should be are Nigerians earning enough? In Japan people earn Y1400 a day in order to survive, do you see Japanese complaining about too many 'zeroes'. 78 Yen make $1, yet the Yen is one of the strongest currencies.

My friend go and study economics properly
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Alaafialoro(m): 12:53pm On Sep 10, 2012
Ogbodavies: No comment 4 now,chiling with pop corn n zobo cool
Ok ooo..let‘s hope d price pop corn & zobo won‘t be above #5000 by d time u decide to comment.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by yosmen: 12:54pm On Sep 10, 2012
Ogbodavies: No comment 4 now,chiling with pop corn n zobo cool

add garri join d zobo.balance diet
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Nobody: 1:00pm On Sep 10, 2012
The idea is not bad economically as regards reducing the amount spent on printing cash especially the lower denomination. However, it will have adverse impact on the common man.Price of commodities and services will rise cos coins wil be rejected and gradualy faced out from the market. It pays the CBN,nation i guess but the common man will be the ones to pay for it.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by faithin9ja: 1:02pm On Sep 10, 2012
oradee:

and because of this, the US has decided to print $5000 so that it wld be convenient for them when they wanna go to fast food? (cos thats ur excuse in relation to 20 pounds)

But you foolish oh!!!!!

$20 = N3200, $50 = N8000, $100 = N16,000
In US they use $20, $50 and $100 bills to pay for their goods and services.

We in Nigeria should be able to pay for something worth $50 in less than 5 notes: we currently pay for something worth $50 with at least 8 notes (ie 8 x N1000) - you work out the cost of printing and transporting those 8 notes. Now with N5000 you can pay with 2 notes or 4 notes.

Please remember $5000 is not the N5000.

The phone or laptop you use to post rubbish on this website cost you how much? You probably carried 50 notes to Computer Village to buy the phone or laptop, why wouldn't prefer to carry only 10 notes?
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by chamber2(m): 1:12pm On Sep 10, 2012
^^^^

you are the one talking rubbish! Yes, complete rubbish. You forgot these were still the same problem the cashless policy was designed to curtail. Why do i even need to carry cash to buy a single computer when i can conveniently order online or pay with card?

Do we even need the higher denomination even when cashless policy is being canvassed? The cashless policy, if well implemented, will address almost all the problems you enumerated. It's not rocket science.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by chiboy1928(m): 1:12pm On Sep 10, 2012
What is the big deal about these five thousand naira notes I support cbn holeheartedly let the money be in circulation,even ghana here were I live the highest denominations is 50 ghana cedis wich is equivalent to the 5,000 naira notes here in nigeria, and also they make used of their coins such as 10,20,50 pesewas wich is also equivalent to 10,20, and 50 naira and it has not resulted to any inflation, while we here making unneccesary noise about inflation if u don't want to used currency then do away fr it rather than come and misinformed the ordianry nigerians!!!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by philip0906(m): 1:18pm On Sep 10, 2012
faithin9ja:

What is your problem? $10 is N1500, is it bad to earn N1500 and feed your self with it? must it be N10 to feed with N10? You earn N1500, you spend N1500. Or you are complaining because the 'zeroes' are too much?

the question should be are Nigerians earning enough? In Japan people earn Y1400 a day in order to survive, do you see Japanese complaining about too many 'zeroes'. 78 Yen make $1, yet the Yen is one of the strongest currencies.

Listen 2 urself. . .i only used d example 2 show u how bad d naira has fallen copared 2 d $.japan? so Nigeria is now mates with Japan? On what grounds r u making d comparism? economic,political,security or what? and please stop all these noise about economics. Even d illiterate Nigerian hs basic knowledge of econs besides, we are not talking textbook economics but practical.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by philip0906(m): 1:19pm On Sep 10, 2012
chamber2: ^^^^

you are the one talking rubbish! Yes, complete rubbish. You forgot these were still the same problem the cashless policy was designed to curtail. Why do i even need to carry cash to buy a single computer when i can conveniently order online or pay with card?

Do we even need the higher denomination even when cashless policy is being canvassed? The cashless policy, if well implemented, will address almost all the problems you enumerated. It's not rocket science.
Don't mind all these bootlickers who have nothing 2 say.
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by faithin9ja: 1:22pm On Sep 10, 2012
philip0906:
Listen 2 urself. . .i only used d example 2 show u how bad d naira has fallen copared 2 d $.japan? so Nigeria is now mates with Japan? On what grounds r u making d comparism? economic,political,security or what? and please stop all these noise about economics. Even d illiterate Nigerian hs basic knowledge of econs besides, we are not talking textbook economics but practical.

Simple question my friend, what is wrong with earning N1500 a day and spending N1500 a day?
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by faithin9ja: 1:23pm On Sep 10, 2012
chiboy1928: What is the big deal about these five thousand naira notes I support cbn holeheartedly let the money be in circulation,even ghana here were I live the highest denominations is 50 ghana cedis wich is equivalent to the 5,000 naira notes here in nigeria, and also they make used of their coins such as 10,20,50 pesewas wich is also equivalent to 10,20, and 50 naira and it has not resulted to any inflation, while we here making unneccesary noise about inflation if u don't want to used currency then do away fr it rather than come and misinformed the ordianry nigerians!!!

Help me tell them!!!!
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Cleverley(m): 1:39pm On Sep 10, 2012
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Cleverley(m): 1:40pm On Sep 10, 2012
Has mr. President said anything about the new proposed #5000 note? ? ?
Re: Bank Customers Can Reject N5000 Note – CBN by Chykenet(m): 1:55pm On Sep 10, 2012
faithin9ja:

i still don't understand your point. $10 - #10 is thesame in writing but they are not thesame in value. I remember my sister earning $10 an hr during her first job in the US while she studies. Now, the equivalent is #1500 in Nigeria. Tell me, what grade in civil servant makes #1500 an hr here in Nigeria?? But that was what my sis made as part time student.

My point being... The #5000 note introduction won't do us any good. Instead they should introduce other reforms that will help the economy -like zero corruption tolerane, cashless economy(so that all transactions will be monitored) and for God sake lets go back and invest in Agriculture... (malaysia is growing today cus of sugar cane export) these will attract foreign exchange.

Final, we can't succeed by trying to do everything at once... we started with Power Reforms..is it working? Fuel subsidy.. Where are we? health Reform nko? now this?

i tire for this country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Buhari Returns: Can They Now Swallow Their Words? - Presidency / Apostle Johnson Suleman Tells Nigerians To Protect Their Votes To Avoid Rigging / Governorship And House Of Assembly Elections Will Be Peaceful - Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.