Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,095 members, 7,946,704 topics. Date: Thursday, 12 September 2024 at 04:16 AM

BRT/LAG-BUS....How has It Fared/failed? What Hopes Abound? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / BRT/LAG-BUS....How has It Fared/failed? What Hopes Abound? (734 Views)

Cattle Spotted On BRT Lane In Lagos (Photos) / Lamata BRT Bus Kills Man At CMS Bridge (Graphics Pictures) / Cows On BRT Lane In Ikorodu Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

BRT/LAG-BUS....How has It Fared/failed? What Hopes Abound? by alleviate2002us(m): 8:45am On Sep 12, 2012
Lagos state is overly populated, to most people it can be likened to the New-York of Nigeria, However, the government has in its capacity tried in a lot of ways to better the lots of its citizenry. This write-up will only bring to light an initiative that should be revisited or reviewed.

It is with great disappointment and a deep measure of dissatisfaction that I write this. I have seen on many occasions, commuters; hang around helplessly at garages, bus-stops and road sides, waiting patiently to get themselves transported to their homes after a hard day’s work, all to their greatest discomfort, frustration and disappointment.

These eager and patriotic citizens on Lagos state, to my utter amazement exhibit a deep sense of commitment, patience and hope to a system I would rather regard as brilliant but grossly mismanaged. In this regard, I stand to be quoted that the aforementioned can be observed when Locations such as Lag-Bus terminal (Broad street), BRT terminal (Race course), Lag-Bus terminal (Cele bustop), Etc are visited in the evenings (at about 4.30pm). This system of transport should have been the saving means of movement to the poor and teeming masses but unfortunately it has not deemed its worth in recent times.

I would chose to be objective in my criticism and not be quick to say that those in the corridors of power (not the governor perse), did not do a good job by initiating the Mass transit Scheme (BRT/LAG-Bus). Like I mentioned earlier, the idea was and is still very brilliant, it only needs a revamp.

To this effect I have the following observations:
1. Most times the buses don’t move around much in the evenings.
2. The buses are hardly found on the road when rain falls.
3. At times when they ought to serve teeming masses, you find their garage terminals full with buses parked.
4. On few occasions they have kept passengers stranded mid-way to their destination.
5. Most drivers exhibit recklessness while driving and this has negatively affected the image created by the scheme from inception.

Consequently:
1. The idea of having buses parked at the garage terminals when Lagosians need them up and running should be taken care of.
a. Proper maintenance should be carried out on schedules to ensure the buses are in good condition. I observed that many of these buses have no working headlamps, wipers, and other basic utilities for proper function.
b. A monitoring team should be put in place to check the movements of these mass transit vehicles such that they don’t park idly.
c. If the drivers need some form of motivation, such should be accorded them.
d. If the buses lack drivers to move them, the management of these transport services should engage qualified youths in line with that.
2. Drivers should be giving some sort of training before getting on the job (though this applies to all lagosians who own cars).
3. Considering the fact that this is a huge project directed to the masses, no exact figure can be pegged to the staggering amount of revenue to be generated if the management of these bus services manage the funds generated properly. Therefore, if the funds generated would be put to judicious use, the transportation system in the state will be changed for good.
4. Above all I feel Nigerians need to adopt the attitude of continuity. There has been a high possibility of a good initiative ending, when leaders/persons in key positions leave office.

As individuals, we can start with making necessary changes while we pass the need for such to the appropriate quarters pending their positive response. The same would inevitably be the case if caution is not taken as regards the “Light rail project”. Obviously, this regime will not see it through and that in turn will test our values of continuity and maintenance in the long run.

Cheers!!

(1) (Reply)

Whats Up With Islam And Violence? / Need For A Legal Section On Nairaland / 32 People, Including 22 Nigerians Arrested For Multi-million Credit Card Fraud I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.