Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,840 members, 7,945,695 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 12:37 AM

First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer (2878 Views)

Windows 10 Will Log You In Using Your Biometric Data / How To Download From 4shared.com Without Log In or Registration / Primavera P6 Log On Problem (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by bolex(m): 2:27pm On Apr 15, 2006
What do you first do when you log on to your computer

For me , first log-on : Scan for viruses/spyware

The , Check ma offlines and e-mails

www.google.com

research ,
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by larger20(m): 2:32pm On Apr 15, 2006
Check mail and run out
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by sade511(f): 2:38pm On Apr 15, 2006
Get Windows Media Player on.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by nike4luv(f): 2:43pm On Apr 15, 2006
press enter,
avg scanner comeson
msn and yahoo mess starts automatically
check offlines an emails
other stuff follows
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Zahymaka(m): 3:27pm On Apr 15, 2006
Mozilla Thunderbird comes up and downloads all my mail. I log onto Nairaland and check for undread replies. If I'm going to code I start up Zend Studio and then Windows Media Player.

After that, anything goes.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by hotangel2(f): 8:14pm On Apr 15, 2006
I never turn off my computer, except daing, ocassionaly. My computer is always on ( i think tghat's bad).

But when i off it, and turn it on, Mcfee virus scan comes up. And i sign unto yahoo mess, check my mail, and offlines. Reply some offlines if the people r not there. And reply my mails. Other things follow.

Like play my music, or burn some music on limewire, or burn movies. Or do my homework if i have, infact i dont plan wat i do on the computer. But the first thing of course, is to sign on yahoo messenger, cos that way, i wont have to sign on yahoo mail again, i just click the mail button.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Ynot(m): 9:47pm On Apr 15, 2006
Don't turn mine off either. BTW (hot-angel ) there is nuttin wrong leaving your system on. Its meant to be on at all times as long as you have a good cooling system and a firewall (if you are using broadband internet).
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Rhodalyn(f): 9:48pm On Apr 15, 2006
Nairaland!!!!!1
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by hotangel2(f): 2:21am On Apr 16, 2006
Ynot:

Don't turn mine off either. BTW (hot-angel ) there is nuttin wrong leaving your system on. Its meant to be on at all times as long as you have a good cooling system and a firewall (if you are using broadband internet).

Thanks, i use Mcfee, and yeah, my computer has firewall, i also use broadband.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Zahymaka(m): 3:00am On Apr 16, 2006
That's true. My system is almost always on although I have to restart periodically because Windows tends to get sluggish after three days because it caches applications.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Ynot(m): 5:09am On Apr 16, 2006
You don't even need to reboot your computer. If you browse a lot, always delete your 'temporary internet files' folder to free space on your hard drive.

Windows caches the programs you use frequently in a Prefetch folder. The reason is that Windows XP is configured to prefetch application and program components so that when you load them to memory; it appears to be very quick. When XP boots up, it will prefetch portions of the files you use the most. It loads all associated files, libraries, and pointers necessary to run the program in advance, the preloaded subset makes your system appear quicker.

However, XP will retain a copy of a portion of a program in the prefetch folder even if you only use it one time. Since you may not use the program again, you may impact the performance of your system by having portions of a program you do not use loaded in your system's memory. So, XP systems with very low hardware resources (such as memory and hard disk space) will definitely be affected by an over-bloated prefetch folder.

The solution:

Click Start --> Run --> type Prefetch --> Enter and the prefetch folder will pop up.

Delete the files in this folder except the layout.ini file (its a configuration file used by defrag.exe) and your system will be relatively faster.

You can also disable this in the Windows Registry.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Hunter(m): 12:23pm On Apr 16, 2006
First thing I usually do is open MSN messenger then I check my mail
then I usually browse the net for a bit
once i've checked everything I want to i'll play a game or something
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by brasco901(m): 1:26pm On Apr 17, 2006
Check email and log in to msn messenger too. then I check all my favorite bookmarks.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Zahymaka(m): 1:42pm On Apr 17, 2006
Thanks Ynot -- you're a real Windows Guru grin grin.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Niggy(m): 6:37pm On Apr 17, 2006
first thing i do when i launch ma[i] fedora core 5[/i], is to press F12 key, and my yakuake drops down. The first command i find my self typing always is ls -s.Don't know y i do that bt kind of use to it. Then i do amarok & so it  runs in the background. win+x to make it play the default play list. then other things follow.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by kimba(m): 6:59pm On Apr 17, 2006
I have a LAN actually, made up of:
- a P4 WinXP Laptop = I use it for surfing
- a P4 Fedora Core Machine = i set it up as a mail/file/mp3 server
- a Firewall Machine(linux) = as firewall/proxy server
- a P4 Win2000/XP desktop = has C++, VB, etc = for application development/WebDesign
- a Cisco 2950 switch
- a P3 WinXp = just for hacking

as much as possible, my firewall machine and mail/file/mp3 server are always on.

The first thing I do when I log on to my computer, usually the P4 WinXP is to do security checks here and there, check my logs, etc , If everything is fine, I check up on Client websites, to see if things are ok. If all is well, then i check my mails first, and after, google+Nairaland.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by simonflame: 12:22am On Apr 18, 2006
Never goes off only for required restarts by some applications, but as for now it has had a 3 week up-time, no restarts whatsoever grin
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by malibubarb(f): 6:24am On Apr 18, 2006
First thing I do:

Go to MySpace and check my messages! Then its to Facebook to see if any friends left me a message on my wall. Then I go to MSN.com and read all the news about the celebrities.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by maki(f): 10:53am On Apr 18, 2006
my yahoo msger automatically pops up
i check my mail, play some music and login on to nairaland
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by maki(f): 10:54am On Apr 18, 2006
Nairaland is so addictive wink
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Chuckdee(m): 10:57am On Apr 18, 2006
Soon as i start up,
, Log on to messenger to check offlines(and who is on!!)
And ofcos, my media player sould have been up and running a long time ago by now!!

After his, anything goes
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by mercyuti(f): 8:05pm On Apr 18, 2006
Sign in to yahoo messenger immediately
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by mzhavoc(f): 1:17pm On Apr 19, 2006
go in2 msn init
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by niterider(m): 6:15pm On Apr 19, 2006
Since all my messangers are preset to sign in automatically,i just put on my winamp.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Nobody: 1:35am On Apr 20, 2006
Yahoo messenger, the Firefox to check list of connected clients on the firewall/gateway, then i check my webmail and then i load GTA3 and play away till my boss comes in.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Mario(m): 8:08pm On Apr 21, 2006
For me, I connect to the internet via my reltel phone and check my mails then anything follows. And pls (dont laugh), can somebody tell me what firewall helps to do when u r on the net?
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by niterider(m): 7:37am On Apr 22, 2006
Protects ur computer against unauthorised entry,be it worms or viruses or humans wink
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Mario(m): 3:07pm On Apr 22, 2006
thanks Niterider, though I didnt know what it does but I have always let it work.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by niterider(m): 12:31am On Apr 23, 2006
No mention at all
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by niterider(m): 12:38am On Apr 23, 2006
@ Ynot.
Thanks for the lil bit of info pasted earlier.It came in very handy
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by Ynot(m): 2:28am On Apr 23, 2006
You're welcome niterider.
Re: First Thing You Do When You Log On To Your Computer by BellaRouge(f): 2:35am On May 03, 2006
When I log on to my computer, I usually check my email right away. I dont do the whole "virus scan" deal because I'd like to think that my computer is immune to all viruses.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free 3 Years Premium Hotspot Shield Vpn ( Download B4 Link Dies ) / Hottest Deal Alert Sold / Please How Much Is Windows 7 Cd?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.