Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,726 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:33 AM

The medical students and aspirants thread - Education (890) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The medical students and aspirants thread (1876679 Views)

✿ Ambrose Alli University Ekpoma (AAU) 2016/2017 Aspirants Thread. / FUTMINNA 2015/2016 ASPIRANTS THREAD / 12 Things I Learnt From The Medical School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (887) (888) (889) (890) (891) (892) (893) ... (908) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 8:00pm On Aug 27, 2023
Eben331:

CGPA is important for Radiography.
All medical courses use grading point system (CGPA) till graduation except Medicine and Dentistry. Even though they are under college of medicine.

So first class or 2.1 matters for Radiography students
Greetings chief. Please elucidate more on this with respect to studying medicine and surgery.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 8:20pm On Aug 27, 2023
jolly94:

It's quite funny how you haven't gotten over this conversation for close to two years now. It's glaring that you're still emotional about it. But honestly, emotion can't erase fact. Guess you had a great Sunday service. Stay blessed.

There is nothing to be emotional about there. It is still the same labour market we will be. Medical school you graduated from doesn't matter as far as medicine is concerned, though one's school matters for other courses during employment. But when it comes to practicing as a medical doctor, it doesn't. What you should be concerned about is how to develop yourself and become a good doctor. Take for example, Dr Lomaxx, one would have thought he attended one of these so-called "big boys" schools as you claimed, judging from his wealth of medical knowledge.

And yes, I had a great Sunday service. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 8:23pm On Aug 27, 2023
SF123:
Greetings chief. Please elucidate more on this with respect to studying medicine and surgery.

Medical and Dental students do not use CGPA grading system from 200L till graduation. It is either Distinction, Pass or Fail. They use CGPA only in 100L.

Though there is room for resit and repeat too. In my school, if you fail one or two courses (though subjects is more appropriate to use) out of the three courses, you resit after 3 months but if you fail any after resit, you repeat the class. If you fail all the three courses at first attempt, you will be advised to transfer to another department.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 5:11am On Aug 28, 2023
[quote author=Eben331 post=125401520]

Medical and Dental students do not use CGPA grading system from 200L till graduation. It is either Distinction, Pass or Fail. They use CGPA only in 100L.

Though there is room for resit and repeat too. In my school, if you fail one or two courses (though subjects is more appropriate to use) out of the three courses, you resit after 3 months but if you fail any after resit, you repeat the class. If you fail all the three courses at first attempt, you will be advised to transfer to another department. [/quote ]All right chief. I am extremely grateful, i sincerely commend you for your tremendous inputs.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 5:13am On Aug 28, 2023
Eben331:

Though there is room for resit and repeat too. In my school, if you fail one or two courses (though subjects is more appropriate to use) out of the three courses, you resit after 3 months but if you fail any after resit, you repeat the class. If you fail all the three courses at first attempt, you will be advised to transfer to another department.
All right, Appreciated doc.

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Emma2Seconds: 12:20am On Aug 30, 2023
Please which site can download textbooks needed for anatomy, biochemistry, physiology.Am a radiography students starting 200level

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Emma2Seconds: 12:23am On Aug 30, 2023
Abeg boss which site can I download nice textbooks needed for radiography students entering 200level
RuyiMedicDiary:
Wondering if it's possible to learn a diagram without drawing it in a book several times?

This is how I do it. Detailed tutorial on how to learn a concept without making notes and how to learn a diagram without having to waste time drawing it on a piece of paper.

This strategy may work for you, or it may not. Who knows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3K9bgUW8A
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RuyiMedicDiary: 3:49pm On Aug 30, 2023
Emma2Seconds:
Abeg boss which site can I download nice textbooks needed for radiography students entering 200level
"PDF drive" and "Z library". PDF drive is a website and Zlib is an app.

3 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tunmexx(m): 7:28pm On Aug 30, 2023
THE ANTHILL: MY EXPERIENCE AND LESSONS
I once saw an anthill/termitarium sitting on an abandoned farmland. So, I got closer to have a detailed look like a surgeon armed with his scalpel and magnifying lenses ready to dissect, cut, excise while calling out to members of the surgical team to help with one thing or the other – would mine be different? No, just that my eyes would do the dissection while calling other parts of it for fine visual acuity to surgically explore the depths of the anthill.

I paid so much attention to the layers of this beautiful structure. I couldn’t see pillars suspending the depth of the small hut nor a dredge stuffed with concrete holding it firmly to the ground. And there, I would only see different circuitry leading in and out of the anthill. However, a closer loook revealed another mystery, the walls of this minihut are as strong as the difficulty insecurity poses to Nigeria. One will wonder how they came together to make a gel of water and mud, and with what tools they erected their mudcastle.
MY EXPERIENCE
There were designs like pockets on the inside of the structure, like balcony which leads from one wing to another. Did I say balcony? A bridge would suffice, one which would stand the test of time. A kick won’t pull it down, the edges of an axe would assume it’s trying to harvest honey from its inside if used on the hill. If our head of states would humbly heed their advice, our roads would celebrate silver jubilees.

While standing, I could see ants making their way in and out of their home whilst delivering different assignments. The height of the busyness in this clime makes me think about my life as a human. Some were carrying tiny logs and bits of organic material into huts and some were patching the damaged wall of their Jericho. Some, in pairs, were carrying other ants, injured ones I suspect. Others were busy removing the debris of leftovers making their territory messy. From the stories I’ve read, some nurses are somewhere down the anthill taking care of the queen, the only fecund one in the kingdom. Apart from the queen, some nurses are attending to injured fellows. Don’t tell me they have their iodine, methylated spirit and cotton wools – the acts of insects coincides with that of human, let’s not say supercede.

Not long afterwards, I could see an advancement with heavy thuds towards my big toe. These ones have strong fangs fixed on their head with relatively big body compared to others. They are the soldiers of their kingdom and they already considered me an enemy to their calm and tranquility. If I could hear them, the major general would have echoed, “fire! fire! fire!”. I simply helped myself by lifting my soles. I won’t be stuffed with their venom while appreciating nature.
LESSONS FROM THE ANTHILL
As I pressed my soles in plantarflexion towards a safe haven away from the hill, a wave of thought billowed my mind about what I’d just seen. And what’s that? The height of division of labour coupled with great organisation and maximum coordination. Could the anthill be the pyramid of medicine? And the soldiers, nurses, sterile drones cum workers, the players in the healthcare system? Can we liken the circuitry and their perennial infrasture to the blueprint of systematic cadre and administrative privileges in the healthcare system?

I had only known medicine as a profession of medical doctors and maybe nurses. But in recent years, I’ve come to know medicine as a multifaceted discipline structured to work as an holistic unit to care for man. Medical laboratory scientists, physiotherapists, nurses,radiographers, doctors, medical and dental, anatomists, physiologists are the pawns in the game of medicine. Every profession has its distinct role to play like the ants in the anthill. Each and everyone of them has designated offices and they wouldn’t steer off the course of their calling. No one reigns supreme over the other neither is one the alpha & omega of medicine. In short, everyone thrives in his path and brings his quota to the luncheon of medicine.

If the older generation failed in addressing this intraspecific apathy and cantankerous discordance in the anthill of medicine, we all through this piece have travelled to the anthill in Afolabi’s farmland and have seen the need to be holistic in our approach to medicine. We will be a formidable unit with unrivalled success in our healthcare system. Besides that, we would remove selfish professional prestige and embrace selfless life-saving approach and mentality to people’s lives. We would burn our shoulder pads and assume our deltoid muscles are atrophied. And then, like the anthill, medicine will be a strong edifice with existent yet anonymous pillars.

ANA+NSC+PSG+MLS+RDG+BDS+MBBS+PST = MEDICINE

Writer: Afolabi Oluwatobiloba
Usman Danfodio University Sokoto, Sokoto State, Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 10:00pm On Sep 01, 2023
charleymed:
HI GREAT PEOPLE, AM A MEDIC AT THHE UNIVERSITY OF JOS, I HOPE UR ALL CATCHING UP, I LOVE THIS THREAD.
Greetings Dr, please relate.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tunmexx(m): 8:00pm On Sep 03, 2023
Pls bosses, what's the best way to read anatomy and remember? My style of reading is that after reading few lines,I write down what I can remember on a sheet of paper. But I feel it takes longer time.
How can I also increase my reading speed?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RuyiMedicDiary: 10:18pm On Sep 03, 2023
tunmexx:
Pls bosses, what's the best way to read anatomy and remember? My style of reading is that after reading few lines,I write down what I can remember on a sheet of paper. But I feel it takes longer time.
How can I also increase my reading speed?
Hello Tunmex, As a graduate of Anatomy and a 4th Year Medic gearing up for 5th Year soon, I really can't speak for everyone. But based on my experience, using this your method will make revision for exams easy for you as you'll have a comprehensive note to fall back to..,,,, the downside of this is that it can make you to be very slow. You may end up not completing the course outline even once.

My suggestion is to study like as if you're meeting a potential "girlfriend". You go on "dates" with her just to get to know her better. The more dates you go with her, the more familiar you both become. When you eventually ask her to be your girlfriend, there is a high chance of receiving a huge YES.

SAME thing applies to whatever I'm studying. I go on "dates" by using a fast study technique to study that material several times. All 3 times I'm studying, the aim isn't to understand, but to get familiar with the diagrams, the terms, the strange words. This will help you to have a mental picture of the whole material.

By the time exam timetable is out, with the help of adrenaline, understanding will be made wayyyy easier if you're already familiar with the terms, diagrams and strange words.

Study anatomy with atlas. Use YouTube as well.

I've uploaded comprehensive videos that will help you if you're interested in a deep explanation of all this.

How to increase your study speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuAweFNvnlY?si=Aht1fQLzrtjVeokl

How I study a material and learn a diagram without ever penning it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3K9bgUW8A?si=yHck1U290c0pxklx

My memory strategy:
PART 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LTyNxaTWg?si=pfWGF1vMUNZpPGMx

PART 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpXOL5bi1Ys?si=grglLHIOcCB9Udxf

How to answer questions in exam:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvNNGto9P-QNtb_5AHQ0ohPWWEh09Bn3Q&si=371KaAq9zkGNX02k

In summary, Medical school doesn't have only one formula. Try out several methods, ask other medics how they do their studying. Stick to what is working for you. Once you find out it's not working, don't waste time,,,, switch to another strategy IMMEDIATELY!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tunmexx(m): 2:32am On Sep 04, 2023
Thanks for the advice and videos ma. But is it after the fast reading I'll now do intensive reading?
I also use study with me videos on YouTube. What to you think about that ma?
RuyiMedicDiary:
Hello Tunmex, As a graduate of Anatomy and a 4th Year Medic gearing up for 5th Year soon, I really can't speak for everyone. But based on my experience, using this your method will make revision for exams easy for you as you'll have a comprehensive note to fall back to..,,,, the downside of this is that it can make you to be very slow. You may end up not completing the course outline even once.

My suggestion is to study like as if you're meeting a potential "girlfriend". You go on "dates" with her just to get to know her better. The more dates you go with her, the more familiar you both become. When you eventually ask her to be your girlfriend, there is a high chance of receiving a huge YES.

SAME thing applies to whatever I'm studying. I go on "dates" by using a fast study technique to study that material several times. All 3 times I'm studying, the aim isn't to understand, but to get familiar with the diagrams, the terms, the strange words. This will help you to have a mental picture of the whole material.

By the time exam timetable is out, with the help of adrenaline, understanding will be made wayyyy easier if you're already familiar with the terms, diagrams and strange words.

Study anatomy with atlas. Use YouTube as well.

I've uploaded comprehensive videos that will help you if you're interested in a deep explanation of all this.

How to increase your study speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuAweFNvnlY?si=Aht1fQLzrtjVeokl

How I study a material and learn a diagram without ever penning it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK3K9bgUW8A?si=yHck1U290c0pxklx

My memory strategy:
PART 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9LTyNxaTWg?si=pfWGF1vMUNZpPGMx

PART 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpXOL5bi1Ys?si=grglLHIOcCB9Udxf

How to answer questions in exam:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvNNGto9P-QNtb_5AHQ0ohPWWEh09Bn3Q&si=371KaAq9zkGNX02k

In summary, Medical school doesn't have only one formula. Try out several methods, ask other medics how they do their studying. Stick to what is working for you. Once you find out it's not working, don't waste time,,,, switch to another strategy IMMEDIATELY!
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Tina735: 1:53pm On Sep 07, 2023
Please i need your WhatsApp number for how you did it.
Constie:
Everyone, thank God for me... I have gotten admission via IJMB D.E into University of Ilorin to study Medicine and Surgery!grin

Lectures have kicked off fully for 200 level MB;BS here in Unilorin and it's so bulky and hectic... But I trust God for strength! smiley

I'm so grateful for this amazing thread... Gone through it and I've learnt a lot of lessons from the Doctors and Medical students in the house... Thanks to everyone! cheesy

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Tina735: 2:20pm On Sep 07, 2023
Pls can i also get your WhatsApp number
investorD:

Hello.
Can I ur mail or number?
There are certain things I want to find out about ijmb.
Thanks
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 1:31pm On Sep 08, 2023
Get your medical textbooks, stethoscopes, hand gloves, nose masks, dissecting sets @ affordable prices

We deliver to schools in Southwest

Send us an email @ evercetti12@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 10:22pm On Sep 09, 2023
Medicine and surgery MBBS admission loading....i will quote this texts as soon i gets into the medical school specifically.
Kudos to all my bosses and bossladies i will celebrate on this platform sonnest, Sincerely you guys are extremely the best.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Nattynate(m): 11:15pm On Sep 09, 2023
SF123:
Medicine and surgery MBBS admission loading....i will quote this texts as soon i gets into the medical school specifically.
Kudos to all my bosses and bossladies i will celebrate on this platform sonnest, Sincerely you guys are extremely the best.
best wishes my biggest boss cool
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Obton(m): 12:48pm On Sep 10, 2023
Benji2018:
Greetings to the medics/pharmaceutics, and medical or pharmacy aspirants

I wanted to make enquires about AAU. Are they admitting Medicine Aspirants this Year?

Please and please, avoid AAU fam. Saying this as a current student there. Even if they start admitting again, just avoid the school. Too many issues

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Obton(m): 12:51pm On Sep 10, 2023
Please, anyone knows any university that accepts inter university transfers into 300L?

Private, State or Federal. Affordable, even if it's new.

Preferably less than 2m school fees.

I'm gathering info on schools with relaxed interuniversity transfer policy. Like UNIMED, David Umahi Federal University, Bayelsa Medical University, etc. But I need more options.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 7:39pm On Sep 10, 2023
Obton:

Please and please, avoid AAU fam. Saying this as a current student there. Even if they start admitting again, just avoid the school. Too many issues

Would you mind to share the issues?
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 7:41pm On Sep 10, 2023
Obton:
Please, anyone knows any university that accepts inter university transfers into 300L?

Private, State or Federal. Affordable, even if it's new.

Preferably less than 2m school fees.

I'm gathering info on schools with relaxed interuniversity transfer policy. Like UNIMED, David Umahi Federal University, Bayelsa Medical University, etc. But I need more options.

I doubt if any school allows interuniversity transfer into 300L. If at all, there is anything like interuniversity transfer, you may start from 200L.

I don't know much about this, so I can't really say
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by RuyiMedicDiary: 7:44pm On Sep 10, 2023
tunmexx:
Thanks for the advice and videos ma. But is it after the fast reading I'll now do intensive reading?
I also use study with me videos on YouTube. What to you think about that ma?
Actually, it's a flexible something. You can do intensive studying at anytime. But for me, intensive studying comes when exam timetable comes out. That time adrenaline is at work. grin I'm already used to the terms & I'm familiar with the words, diagrams & everything (after using fast reading technique 3 times already). Intensive studying + exam timetable fear = sweet studying + swift understanding. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by poshemmanuel(m): 8:42pm On Sep 10, 2023
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by tunmexx(m): 8:54pm On Sep 10, 2023
RuyiMedicDiary:
Actually, it's a flexible something. You can do intensive studying at anytime. But for me, intensive studying comes when exam timetable comes out. That time adrenaline is at work. grin I'm already used to the terms & I'm familiar with the words, diagrams & everything (after using fast reading technique 3 times already). Intensive studying + exam timetable fear = sweet studying + swift understanding. cheesy
Thanks for your help ma. I really appreciate. God bless you ma
How can I contact you ma?

2 Likes

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Obton(m): 8:42am On Sep 11, 2023
Eben331:

I doubt if any school allows interuniversity transfer into 300L. If at all, there is anything like interuniversity transfer, you may start from 200L.

I don't know much about this, so I can't really say

There are many. Just mostly private. Problem is they're often too expensive. Just trying to broaden my options.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by SF123(m): 10:15am On Sep 11, 2023
Nattynate:
best wishes my biggest boss cool
Appreciated chief

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AgbaAwo001: 11:05am On Sep 11, 2023
Eben331:

Good morning bro. CGPA has its use in medical school. You're right about the pass or fail but your points will come into place when you're probably trying to apply for scholarship or masters when you're done or other stuff. Your transcript will carry your point.

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by AgbaAwo001: 11:09am On Sep 11, 2023
SF123:
Greetings all. Please why is it that not all medical student are showcasing that they are studying medicine or maybe writen boldly on their social media profile, medic or a sign of steth...please i want to the motive behind this.
It's not a big deal, many medical students are busy finding out how to cover the workload they have and pass their exams. No be about writing it bodly on your profile, will you be able to write it boldy during exams? grin

1 Like

Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 1:22pm On Sep 11, 2023
poshemmanuel:

it's because of professional exams..The school is lacking with induction . some of their students want to transfer to other school

So it is because of accreditation issue. I thought it is because of their school fee. Their school fee was increased some months ago.
Re: The medical students and aspirants thread by Eben331: 1:23pm On Sep 11, 2023
Obton:

There are many. Just mostly private. Problem is they're often too expensive. Just trying to broaden my options.

Okay I get. I know it is almost impossible in federal universities

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (887) (888) (889) (890) (891) (892) (893) ... (908) (Reply)

Unilorin Utme 2015/2016 Aspirants / UNIBEN STUDENTS ADMISSION THREAD, 2015/2016 / National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.