Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,643 members, 7,911,695 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 02:21 PM

Why You Have Gray Hairs At An Early Age - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Have Gray Hairs At An Early Age (1732 Views)

Children Who Exhibit Sexual Behavior At An Early Age / Is There Such A Thing As An Early Life Crisis? / Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Have Gray Hairs At An Early Age by Blisslife: 4:41pm On Sep 17, 2012
What causes gray hair in teenagers

A pigment in your hair follicles known as melanin determines the color of your hair.
One of the common traits associated with growing old is gray hair. As we age, the melanocytes that contribute the pigment, melanin, to our hair stop producing, causing hair to become more transparent, or "gray." In fact, without any melanin, hair would appear white. Although gray hair may be normal for an adult, it might not seem so typical for a child. However, you may also find that your tresses begin graying prematurely while you are still in your teens. Several factors can contribute to this process.

For some people, it starts early on, perhaps even before the teen years, whereas with other individuals, it happens later in life. Some people turn gray or white rapidly, while others do so more gradually. The loss of pigmentation can occur at different rates in different hair follicles.

Vitamin Deficiency

Diets that are deficient in vitamin B12 can lead to premature graying in teens. A lack of B12 results in a reduction of melanin production and can cause your hair to become gray or turns completely white.

Genetics

The main causing of gray hair at an early age is genetics. Though the specific genes that cause premature graying are unknown at this time, if your parents went gray at an early age, you are more likely to go gray when you are young. For most people, there are no harmful effects of genetic graying. Some may experience psychological effects because they fear getting older or less attractive due to the gray hair.

Illness

Graying hair in teens can also be the sign of a medical condition or illness.

Other causes of grey hair in teenagers include thyroid imbalances are common culprits. Smoking has also been linked to going gray at an earlier age. Gray hair is four times more likely in smokers than in the nonsmoking population. Most graying occurs slowly and naturally over time. In instances of severe trauma, it sometimes seems as if hair turn gray quickly; however, these cases are usually due to a disease called alopecia areata. It causes thicker, pigmented hair to fall out first, creating the illusion of rapid graying.

1 Like

Re: Why You Have Gray Hairs At An Early Age by lollarj(f): 8:22pm On Sep 17, 2012
^^^
Peroxide accumulation is the root cause of all grey hair. Some of the factors you listed simply accelerate the accumulation on peroxide in hair follicles.
Remove the peroxide and you have black hair again.
I'm currently taking B12 (2,000 mcg) and I've been able to reverse it by over 60%.

I highly recommend B12 supplement for grey reversal.

1 Like

Re: Why You Have Gray Hairs At An Early Age by isangedigh(m): 8:37am On Sep 18, 2012
lollar j :
^^^
Peroxide accumulation is the root cause of all grey hair. Some of the factors you listed simply accelerate the accumulation on peroxide in hair follicles.
Remove the peroxide and you have black hair again.
I'm currently taking B12 (2,000 mcg) and I've been able to reverse it by over 60%.

I highly recommend B12 supplement for grey reversal.

@Lollar,pls wht brand of B12 shud i go for pls. Tnx

(1) (Reply)

Conditions That Can Affect A Woman's Menstruation / Help A Chickenpox Victim / Weight Gain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.