Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,559 members, 7,972,102 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 11:49 PM

Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? (4307 Views)

I Thought People Said India Is Better Than Nigeria? / Nigeria Far Behind G20 Countries – Okonjo-iweala / Nigeria Far Behind G20 Countries – Okonjo-iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by Wallie(m): 9:37pm On Sep 18, 2012
There are a lot of things wrong or going wrong in Nigeria but is EVERYTHING really that bad? Well, here's one thing that I know we can boast of when it comes to comparing Nigeria to India. TOILETS!

Can you believe that out of about 7935 towns in India only 162 have sewage treatment plants? They actually just walk into open spaces like the railway tracks to take care of business! They actually build real block and cement houses without toilets!

I know Nigeria is decaying but rarely would you find a whole town defecating in public! Can you imagine trying to walk around their towns having to watch your steps just to sidestep poop? Reminds me of why I never played soccer on our main soccer field while in boarding school! Guys don take care of business everywhere!

Next time you talk ill of Naija, just be glad that we still have toilets!

http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/world/2012/09/17/pkg-udas-india-open-toilets.cnn.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPAPPp9tGGs
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 9:44pm On Sep 18, 2012
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by Wallie(m): 10:25pm On Sep 18, 2012
AjanleKoko: I wouldn't be too quick to cheer embarassed

Open defecation costs Nigeria $1bn

LOL...I knew stuff like that existed but not at the same scale as seen in India. In Nigeria, you might have pockets of places as seen in the video but rarely would you find a whole town without "shalanga."
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by ArQueBusieR(m): 10:28pm On Sep 18, 2012
Darn! I just wanna puke!!
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 10:44pm On Sep 18, 2012
Wallie:

LOL...I knew stuff like that existed but not at the same scale as seen in India. In Nigeria, you might have pockets of places as seen in the video but rarely would you find a whole town without "shalanga."

Ah.
This man did not attend college in Nigeria grin
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by EkoAtlantic: 11:25pm On Sep 18, 2012
We both have deficiency but in different area.

To make a meaningful comparism, we've got to look at the productivity of the two countries. India is by far miles ahead of Nigeria in term of production (automobile, drugs, mini electronics, generator, etc..). At the other side, Nigeria produces nothing tangible, except for mineral resources(crude) that she has. She doesn't even have the capacity to refine it, but export and thereafter import the refined ones with more cash.
Therefore in this aspect, I'll say Nigeria is lagging.

Population
Upon all the productivity lead India has against Nigeria, her government is still not capable of meeting the basic needs of the larger percentage of the population. Although, this doesn't imply that Nigeria government is doing better.
India has a population of about 1.1billion(+), making it the second most populous nation on earth.
When critically examined, poverty is more in india than Nigeria, either in percentage or in digit.
I'll say Nigeria is better in this aspect.

I doubt if these two countries can be compared to each other, they're both still far from meaningful development. But India has more international recognition and better image compared to Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by TonySpike: 4:49am On Sep 19, 2012
Wallie: There are a lot of things wrong or going wrong in Nigeria but is EVERYTHING really that bad? Well, here's one thing that I know we can boast of when it comes to comparing Nigeria to India. TOILETS!

Can you believe that out of about 7935 towns in India only 162 have sewage treatment plants? They actually just walk into open spaces like the railway tracks to take care of business! They actually build real block and cement houses without toilets!

I know Nigeria is decaying but rarely would you find a whole town defecating in public! Can you imagine trying to walk around their towns having to watch your steps just to sidestep poop? Reminds me of why I never played soccer on our main soccer field while in boarding school! Guys don take care of business everywhere!

Next time you talk ill of Naija, just be glad that we still have toilets!

OP, can I ask, does Nigeria even have any single sewage treatment plant at all? I'm sure you don't know what a sewage treatment plant is. This report shows that India to an extent has central sewage plans in their city designs. This means they are still far ahead of Nigeria in sewage treatment technology.
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:36am On Sep 19, 2012
how on earth can one compare Naija and India? India had their own written language, numeral, they did calculations and deep science and today they have nuke!
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by ektbear: 6:51am On Sep 19, 2012
It depends on the metric you use I guess. By at least a few of them, India is no more advanced than Nigeria is. E.g. by GDP per capita, it is just 8 or 10 Nigerias smushed together
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by Wallie(m): 1:46pm On Sep 19, 2012
Tony Spike:
OP, can I ask, does Nigeria even have any single sewage treatment plant at all? I'm sure you don't know what a sewage treatment plant is. This report shows that India to an extent has central sewage plans in their city designs. This means they are still far ahead of Nigeria in sewage treatment technology.

I guess not...can you please enlighten me? What do you think water treatment facilities like Iju waterworks in Lagos are?

Here are a few more courtesy of Google:

Satellite Town Sewage Treatment Plant, Chevron Nigeria - Reid Crowther implemented an upgrading for a sewage treatment plant which had been incorrectly designed. The project solved the problems and allowed the plant to function properly within the skill set of the current operator.

Festac Sewage Treatment System, Lagos - Reid Crowther investigated and developed solutions to the operation of the existing plant at Festac Town. This plant had been abandoned and Reid Crowther developed the necessary plan to refurbish and rehabilitate the existing facility.

Satellite Town Sewage Collection System, Chevron Nigeria, - Reid Crowther implemented an upgrading for a sewage collection system. The project solved the problems facing the community.

Escravos Sewage Treatment Plant, Chevron Nigeria - Reid Crowther undertook this design and this project is currently under implementation by Chevron

Escravos Sewage Collection System, Chevron Nigeria - Reid Crowther undertook this design as part of the overall master plan for the long-term improvement of the Escravos Terminal

Lekki Office and Housing Complex, ChevronTexaco - Reid Crowther undertook the design of an enlarged Sequential Batch Reactor (SBR) for the Chevron site at Lekki to cater for the growing population of the site and the more rigorous Environmental Discharge Consents on the effluent from the plant, the project is in construction phase.
http://www.reidcrowther.co.uk/?q=node/13

Wastewater treatment plant Tinapa
Connection load: 10.000 p.e.
Footprint: 17 x 33 m
Daily amount of sewage: 1.200 m³
Plant stages:
Inlet crusher system
Two SBR-reactors
http://www.biogest.com/references/wastewater-treatment-references/wastewater-treatment-plant-friedlos
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by Wallie(m): 2:08pm On Sep 19, 2012
By the way, the question in the OP was rhetorical and merely meant to convey that Nigeria still has a few bright spots even though most things are rapidly decaying.

I’m not oblivious to India’s IT sector (my outsourcing destination) or military might but if we face similar infrastructural challenges, it shows that we can have the same gains if we can get our ducks in a row.
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by TonySpike: 2:21pm On Sep 19, 2012
Wallie:

I guess not...can you please enlighten me? What do you think water treatment facilities like Iju waterworks in Lagos are?

Here are a few more courtesy of Google:

Satellite Town Sewage Treatment Plant, Chevron Nigeria - Reid Crowther implemented an upgrading for a sewage treatment plant which had been incorrectly designed. The project solved the problems and allowed the plant to function properly within the skill set of the current operator.

Festac Sewage Treatment System, Lagos - Reid Crowther investigated and developed solutions to the operation of the existing plant at Festac Town. This plant had been abandoned and Reid Crowther developed the necessary plan to refurbish and rehabilitate the existing facility.

Satellite Town Sewage Collection System, Chevron Nigeria, - Reid Crowther implemented an upgrading for a sewage collection system. The project solved the problems facing the community.

Escravos Sewage Treatment Plant, Chevron Nigeria - Reid Crowther undertook this design and this project is currently under implementation by Chevron

Escravos Sewage Collection System, Chevron Nigeria - Reid Crowther undertook this design as part of the overall master plan for the long-term improvement of the Escravos Terminal

Lekki Office and Housing Complex, ChevronTexaco - Reid Crowther undertook the design of an enlarged Sequential Batch Reactor (SBR) for the Chevron site at Lekki to cater for the growing population of the site and the more rigorous Environmental Discharge Consents on the effluent from the plant, the project is in construction phase.
http://www.reidcrowther.co.uk/?q=node/13

Wastewater treatment plant Tinapa
Connection load: 10.000 p.e.
Footprint: 17 x 33 m
Daily amount of sewage: 1.200 m³
Plant stages:
Inlet crusher system
Two SBR-reactors
http://www.biogest.com/references/wastewater-treatment-references/wastewater-treatment-plant-friedlos

Congratulations, I can see you managed to list about seven sewage treatment plants. Just seven in the whole of Nigeria!!! Assuming all the ones above are fully functional, isn't that ironically 'better' than India's 162 sewage plants? What I'm trying to say here is that sewage plants are very alien to Nigerian cities. This is the main reason most houses have stand-alone soak-aways. In a more developed setting, Nigeria should be making huge profits from central sewage processing. Remember the DMT saying, s**t business is serious business. Back to the topic, I think you should agree with me to an extent that most Nigerian cities lack central sewage processing centres. Therefore, India is still far ahead of Nigeria in sewage management. Gbaaam!!!

...and hey, there's a big difference between water treatment and sewage treatment.
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by Wallie(m): 3:33pm On Sep 19, 2012
Tony Spike:

Congratulations, I can see you managed to list about seven sewage treatment plants. Just seven in the whole of Nigeria!!! Assuming all the ones above are fully functional, isn't that ironically 'better' than India's 162 sewage plants? What I'm trying to say here is that sewage plants are very alien to Nigerian cities. This is the main reason why most houses have stand-alone soak-aways. In a more developed setting, Nigeria should be making huge profits from central sewage processing. Remember the DMT saying, s**t business is serious business. Back to the topic, I think you should agree with me to an extent that most Nigerian cities lack central sewage processing centres. Therefore, India is still far ahead of Nigeria in sewage management. Gbaaam!!!

...and hey, there's a big difference between water treatment and sewage treatment.

How old are you? If you're educated and older than 15 years old, wahala dey! Just because a cursory search I did yielded 7 sewage treatment facilities means that there are only that many in Nigeria? This is the exact problem of spoon-feeding type education! You can only see what’s in front of you! Heaven forbid the facts change slightly from the example in your textbook!

Well, you might as well add more to your list …

A new ultra-modern US $58 million water treatment plant outside Kano, Nigeria’s most populous city
http://wow.gm/africa/nigeria/kano/article/2008/1/3/nigeria-new-treatment-plant-leaves-kano-short-of-water

PORT HARCOURT, 10 July 2007 (IRIN) - At least three people were killed when chlorine gas being used at a water treatment plant in Nigeria's southeastern Cross River state escaped into nearby homes, residents and state officials said.
http://www.irinnews.org/Report/73168/NIGERIA-Chlorine-gas-from-water-plant-kills-three-in-southeast

Lafia Water Treatment Plant Now Functions Hir Joseph 14 September 2011 Lafia Water supply in Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital and other urban centres in the state have improved with the various water treatment plants put into operations.
http://www.allvoices.com/news/10336012-nigeria-lafia-water-treatment-plant-now-functions

ABUJA WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM CONSTRUCTION OF LOWER USUMA DAM TREATMENT PLANT, NIGERIA
http://www.biwater.com/Articles/277418/Biwater/BW_Home/water_treatment/water_treatment_projects/abuja_nigeria.aspx

Further, what's the difference between water treatment and sewage treatment? The fact that one includes sludge and/or solid wastes? You are wasting my time!
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 3:33pm On Sep 19, 2012
Per capita, Nigeria is probably richer than India.
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by TonySpike: 4:08pm On Sep 19, 2012
Wallie:

How old are you? If you're educated and older than 15 years old, wahala dey! Just because a cursory search I did yielded 7 sewage treatment facilities means that there are only that many in Nigeria? This is the exact problem of spoon-feeding type education! You can only see what’s in front of you! Heaven forbid the facts change slightly from the example in your textbook!

Well, you might as well add more to your list …

A new ultra-modern US $58 million water treatment plant outside Kano, Nigeria’s most populous city
http://wow.gm/africa/nigeria/kano/article/2008/1/3/nigeria-new-treatment-plant-leaves-kano-short-of-water

PORT HARCOURT, 10 July 2007 (IRIN) - At least three people were killed when chlorine gas being used at a water treatment plant in Nigeria's southeastern Cross River state escaped into nearby homes, residents and state officials said.
http://www.irinnews.org/Report/73168/NIGERIA-Chlorine-gas-from-water-plant-kills-three-in-southeast

Lafia Water Treatment Plant Now Functions Hir Joseph 14 September 2011 Lafia Water supply in Lafia, the Nasarawa State capital and other urban centres in the state have improved with the various water treatment plants put into operations.
http://www.allvoices.com/news/10336012-nigeria-lafia-water-treatment-plant-now-functions

ABUJA WATER SUPPLY SYSTEM CONSTRUCTION OF LOWER USUMA DAM TREATMENT PLANT, NIGERIA
http://www.biwater.com/Articles/277418/Biwater/BW_Home/water_treatment/water_treatment_projects/abuja_nigeria.aspx

Further, what's the difference between water treatment and sewage treatment? The fact that one includes sludge and/or solid wastes? You are wasting my time!

At this stage, I'd like us to be a little decorous in our discussions. Kindly take a look at the flow processes below for both water treatment and sewage treatment. The first image is that of water treatment (note the source) and the second, that of sewage treatment (note the source also). I will leave you with a question, how many water treatment plants in Nigeria have the capability to process sewage in the real sense? If I were to agree with you in all totality, then we must know the capabilities of these so-called water treatment plants...

Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by AjanleKoko: 4:17pm On Sep 19, 2012
Have you guys been to India?

It's always easy to draw conclusions using the Internet.
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by oderemo(m): 4:37pm On Sep 19, 2012
Congratulations, I can see you managed to list about seven sewage treatment plants. Just seven in the whole of Nigeria!!! Assuming all the ones above are fully functional, isn't that ironically 'better' than India's 162 sewage plants? What I'm trying to say here is that sewage plants are very alien to Nigerian cities. This is the main reason most houses have stand-alone soak-aways. In a more developed setting, Nigeria should be making huge profits from central sewage processing. Remember the DMT saying, s**t business is serious business. Back to the topic, I think you should agree with me to an extent that most Nigerian cities lack central sewage processing centres. Therefore, India is still far ahead of Nigeria in sewage management. Gbaaam!!!

...and hey, there's a big difference between water treatment and sewage treatment
hey bro u are so right on point. was working just around 2004/5 in abj. mass housing project , gwarinpa/kubwa axis.then, abuja master plan had sewage processing plan built in, @ that time i can authoritatively confirm el rufai refused to approve the plan cos according to him the bill was in the billions govt. couldnt afford it.
when we dont invest in the fuuture, i guess shalanga will continue to be part of our buildg cost.
Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by Horus(m): 8:55pm On Sep 19, 2012
[size=19pt]India Leads the World in Open Defecation[/size]

India's rivers have been turned into open sewers by 638 million Indians without access to toilets, according to rural development minister Jairam Ramesh. He was reacting a UNICEF report that says Indians make up 58% of the world population which still practices open defection, and the sense of public hygiene in India is the worst in South Asia and the world. India(638m) is followed by Indonesia (58m), China (50m), Ethiopia (49m), Pakistan (48m), Nigeria (33m) and Sudan (17m). In terms of percentage of each country's population resorting to the unhygienic practice, Ethiopia tops the list with 60%, followed by India 54%, Nepal 50%, Pakistan 28%, Indonesia 26%, and China 4%.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-GpB1o5GITts/UC-zqTl9ejI/AAAAAAAADIA/YuetKuVEf7o/s1600/Open+Defecation+UNICEF.jpg[/img]

18 percent of urban India still defecates in open while the percentage of rural India is as high as 69 percent of the population. It is the key reason why India carries among the highest infectious disease burdens in the world. The number of open defecators in rural India alone is more than twice those in the whole of sub-Saharan Africa, according to a report by DFID, the UK's Department for International Development. The World Bank has estimated that open defecation costs India $54 billion per year or $48 per head. This is more than the Government of India’s entire budget for health. The UNICEF report says that with only four more years to go until 2015, a major leap in efforts and investments in sanitation is needed to reach the targets of Millennium Development Goals. After the embarrassing headlines, it appears that Minister Ramesh is ready to step up the efforts to improve sanitation. He is quoted by Times of India as saying that "we are going to focus now on `nirmal gram abhiyan' -- today 25,000 nirmal grams are a tiny fraction of 6 lakh villages. These nirmal grams are in Maharashtra and Haryana. Maharashtra is a success of social movements while Haryana an example of determined state government action."

Here's a video clip of Indian environment minister Jairam Ramesh saying "if there was a Nobel Prize for dirt and filth, India would win it hands down":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHxK-HVBqLQ

India would win Nobel prize for filth

Source:
http://www.riazhaq.com/2011/10/india-leads-world-in-open-defecation.html

1 Like

Re: Really, How Far Behind India Is Nigeria? by Horus(m): 10:44am On Sep 20, 2012

(1) (Reply)

FG Earned N5 Trillion From Taxes In 2012 – FIRS / Biafra: Soldiers Arrest Uwazuruike, 220 MASSOB Members / I Can Do Without Finance Minister- Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.