Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,212 members, 7,963,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 02:02 AM

Dozen Die In Port-harcourt Tankerblast - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dozen Die In Port-harcourt Tankerblast (791 Views)

Bello Gidan-hamma, His Wives, Mother, Stepmother Die In Mecca Tragedy / Breaking News: Taraba State Governor Die In Plane Crash / Bankole - Our Leaders Love To Rule And Die In Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Dozen Die In Port-harcourt Tankerblast by bibiking1(m): 2:04pm On Jan 12, 2008
[b]'Dozens dead' in Nigerian blast

Dozens of people are feared dead after a fuel tanker exploded on a busy road near the southern Nigerian oil city of Port Harcourt, police say.
Reports say the incident happened when the speeding tanker burst a tyre as it turned a corner, tipped over and spilt oil onto nearby cars and shops.

Witnesses reported seeing burnt-out cars with charred bodies inside.

Correspondents say road accidents are common, with roads suffering neglect and many vehicles poorly maintained.

The incident did not appear to be linked to militants, who are currently involved in a campaign of bombings and kidnappings in the troubled region.

The tanker was carrying stolen fuel and was being chased by police when it crashed, AFP news agency reported.

At least 13 vehicles and several shops were badly damaged by the blast after being engulfed by the spilt petrol.

"I heard a loud bang and I came out of my shop. I saw fire running down towards my shop, but I escaped," 61-year-old shop owner Matthew Eliagwu told the Associated Press news agency.

"It was impossible to help anyone, because I had to run for my life."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7184638.stm[/b]

this is amazing! and pathetic
Re: Dozen Die In Port-harcourt Tankerblast by haykeens(m): 2:35pm On Jan 12, 2008
i fear for nigeria. god save us all

(1) (Reply)

Abacha Loot: Police Discover House Loaded With Foreign Currencies / Present Government Song / Strictly For My Women In A World Apart

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.