Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,339 members, 7,974,430 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 02:25 AM

What is wrong with our Nigerian English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What is wrong with our Nigerian English? (1091 Views)

What Is Wrong With This Pix Of Secondary School Student / Top 10 Outdated And/or Made-up Words In Nigerian English / Research on Nigerian English & Questionnaires that need to be filled out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What is wrong with our Nigerian English? by Winnergal(f): 11:39pm On Jan 12, 2008
Why is our English not accepted in other English speaking countries like UK., Canada, and America? Is our Nigerian English that bad?
Re: What is wrong with our Nigerian English? by sexytitan(f): 5:17am On Jan 13, 2008
[size=14pt]YES[/size] grin
Re: What is wrong with our Nigerian English? by niceuzor: 11:37pm On Jan 13, 2008
sexytitan:

[size=14pt]YES[/size] grin
i second that, but still some grinch in this forum prove that their english is good.
Re: What is wrong with our Nigerian English? by wendymanda: 11:45pm On Jan 13, 2008
For the most part I don;t hink that in all cases the English is the problem people have, I think the issue is the accent. Some pretend they can't understand Nigerian english becuase of their accent.
Re: What is wrong with our Nigerian English? by EloSela(f): 1:46pm On Jan 18, 2008
But sometimes the accent is too strong and thick. Even I have trouble at times never mind an oyibo person.
Re: What is wrong with our Nigerian English? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 20, 2008
EloSela:

But sometimes the accent is too strong and thick. Even I have trouble at times never mind an oyibo person.
Winnergal:

Why is our English not accepted in other English speaking countries like UK., Canada, and America? Is our Nigerian English that bad?

theres nothing wrong with our spoken/oral english. However, our written english is where they seem to have some issues. if u look at report written by a nigerian u'd find out that it is written as though he/she is talking to his relative or friend.

a report need to be written in past (second/third) tense. for example avoid the use of 'i, we etc' and make use of words and phrases that describe what u r saying in past tense.
Re: What is wrong with our Nigerian English? by sistajay(f): 1:44pm On Jan 21, 2008
Yess o our English dey very, very bad, I don see so many graduates wey no fit speak betta English, I wonder how dey cum pass their exams. Dose people no dey do us proud at all wen dey open their mouth to speak. Our grammar don fail us oo.
Re: What is wrong with our Nigerian English? by oldie(m): 3:20pm On Jan 21, 2008
I do not think there is anything wrong with the Nigerian english.
I also do not care about the accent
My problems are the tenses
When you write and speak with the correct tenses, then you do not have any problems
We are Nigerians with our peculiarities, we should not try to imitate others
Good english spoken with Nigerian accent is not a problem
Neither is it wrong.

(1) (Reply)

List Of Universities In Nigeria Withl East Learning Standard / When Is Futminna Releasing their Admission List / Esut Admission List Wahala.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.