Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,269 members, 7,970,973 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 06:48 PM

Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament (889 Views)

Uganda's Ugliest Man, Godfrey Baguma Welcomes 8th Child With His 2nd Wife (pic) / Protesters Burn Burkina Faso Parliament Building / Aircraft Carrying US Soldiers Make Emergency Landing On A Highway In Uganda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament by plote: 8:02pm On Sep 20, 2012
KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) — A teenaged young woman fresh out of high school has won a seat in Uganda's parliament, adding to the ruling party's majority but embarrassing some who say her success lowers expectations of lawmakers in the East African country.

Proscovia Oromait, who is 19 and a college hopeful, contested elections deep in eastern Uganda to fill the seat left vacant by her father's death. President Yoweri Museveni's ruling party had been desperate for a win there, having lost seven in eight parliamentary by-elections this year. The polls have come to be widely seen as a test of Museveni's popularity, and some party bosses calculated that she would win with a sympathy vote. The result was Uganda's youngest lawmaker ever — and a boost for Museveni's party.

http://news.yahoo.com/teenager-wins-seat-ugandas-parliament-135353425.html
Re: Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament by k2039: 8:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
Very funny,what wealth of experience is she going to bring to the table,It just shows how uncivilised they are in that country
Re: Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament by Ndipe(m): 8:11pm On Sep 20, 2012
k2039: Very funny,what wealth of experience is she going to bring to the table,It just shows how unciviliseed they are in that country

Fresh ideas. What experience have the older generations contributed to the welfare of their country?

2 Likes

Re: Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament by k2039: 8:16pm On Sep 20, 2012
Ndipe:

Fresh ideas. What experience have the older generations contributed to the welfare of their country?

Let's be realistic,she is only 19,a college hopeful,where is the fresh ideas coming from,she doesnt even have any work experience,seriously she is only going to be a joke in the parliament,do you really think she is going to have any say in the parliament.
Re: Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 20, 2012
grin grin hahaha. . .parliamentary joke grin grin
what does she have to offer?

some boyfriend and dating discussions?
or what?!
This is a shame to the people of uganda.
Re: Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament by plote: 7:08pm On Sep 21, 2012
It looks like we are judging her based on the color of her skin, this is pretty wrong.
I am really sad. Queen Victoria was 18 when she took over English empire. And we know very well that she was successful. This Ugandan sensation stood for election and won. To me that is not "come chop". And when it comes to fresh ideas, real ideas, I think she would do far better than old woods. She is part of Gen-Y, and social media-driven society. She would be helped by the new media, and that would help her to make informed decision. I sincerely wish her well, and I look forward to her greatness.
Re: Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament by Callotti: 7:29am On Sep 23, 2012

Hmmmm!
A 19 year-old 'congo'. . .amidst hungry wolves. . .aka African Men?
I wish her all the best.
Let us see what becomes of her in the next year or so. grin
If she does not quench of. . .?
In any part of the civilized world. . .where humans keep evolving as opposed to 'revolving'. . .I would have held my breath.
Uganda kwa nu?
This is an all-time low for Africans.

SE-XU-AL ABUSE OF MINORS CONTINUES!!!
Who nominates a post-teen who has not learned how to wash her arzze properly to tango with wild beasts?
Re: Teenager Wins A Seat In Uganda's Parliament by israelbenzion: 9:19am On Sep 24, 2012
k2039:

Let's be realistic,she is only 19,a college hopeful,where is the fresh ideas coming from,she doesnt even have any work experience,seriously she is only going to be a joke in the parliament,do you really think she is going to have any say in the parliament.

My dear, we need to advance. What have d Uche Chukwumerijes, IBBs, Tukurs, Okadigbos, Okilos, Marks, Sarakis, Nnamanis, etc done for us with 'wealth of experience'? How old was JFK wen he became d most powerful man on earth? 37! How old was Diete-Spiff wen he ruled Rivers State? 27!
At least d teenager isn't going to be d house Speaker or leader. In 4 yrs time she wud hv gathered on-hands experience. We need young blood. The ancients in power have failed us repeatedly.

(1) (Reply)

Miss Universe Faces 2 Years Jail Term In India / Cameroonian Army Kill Over 100 Boko Haram Militants, Arrests 200 / What Eritrea’s Polygamy Hoax Tells Us About The State Of African News Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.